Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can we talk drum apps and MIDI please?

I'm slowly getting my head around all this wonderful trickery and would love to hear more about drum apps and MIDI.

I was just playing with the STEPS app into Thumbjam and making some lovely sounding rhythms and it got me thinking. Which drum apps do you use for MIDI in / MIDI out? What are your source and destination apps? Classic partnerships? Surprising connections?

Cheers

Comments

• Patterning driving multiple Ruismakers, Ruismaker FM, or combinations of both is always productive

• Future drummer into gadgets Recife is pure gold. So easy to get mutating patterns thanks to its live jamming setting. It might be a poor mans patterning according to @ExAsperis99 but it's fantastic for creating semi mutating patterns quick and fast and also to drive my Volca sample thanks to midiFILTr-VS :D

• Nobody's mentioned Different Drummer yet?

• @u0421793 said:
    Nobody's mentioned Different Drummer yet?

I was trying to do Different Drummer MIDI out to Ruismaker FM hosted in AUM but couldn't get it working.

• Nice @gsm909 & @gonekrazy3000 - that's the good stuff I'm after!

• @gusgranite said:

@u0421793 said:

I was trying to do Different Drummer MIDI out to Ruismaker FM hosted in AUM but couldn't get it working.

Check your settings. I've set it up in seconds

• @mschenkel.it said:

@gusgranite said:

@u0421793 said:

Actually it depends whether he's runnin AUM standard or the ab3 enabled beta. The beta seems to have broken a bit. Doesn't see midi on Other app ports except itself. I solved this by routing it through modstep into AUM.

• DD is one of those few apps where I get what it is about, i can see the method, but I just cannot make it do what I want...I have a mental block with it, try as i might I just cannot clear that block :|

• DrumJam with all the iap's is great for world percussion. You can also do some crazy stuff connecting to other apps using midi-in and out.

• @mschenkel.it said:

@gusgranite said:

@u0421793 said:

I pushed a Ruis template to the DD community some time back.

• I just gave DD another go...for about 5 minutes. Still not appealing enough to learn it.

• edited April 2017

For MIDI OUT:
    Future Drummer (loving this!)
    Drum Jam
    Patterning

FOR MIDI IN:
    The best drum synth sound module IMO is SeekBeats. It just sounds so good.
    Special mention to iElectribe (has great midi note and cc IN implementation)
    Gadget (since you can then tweak all the midi later)

• edited April 2017

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    For MIDI OUT:
    Future Drummer (loving this!)
    Drum Jam
    Patterning

FOR MIDI IN:
    The best drum synth sound module IMO is SeekBeats. It just sounds so good.
    Special mention to iElectribe (has great midi note and cc IN implementation)
    Gadget (since you can then tweak all the midi later)

I should mention that iElectribe has a pretty good hardware partner in the NanoKontrol2 for Levels and transport and the NanoPad2 for individual pads and the XY for the FX, it's been a long time since I used it though as I was forever getting strange happenings with the audio stream from iElectribe when used as IAA

• edited April 2017

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    Future drummer into gadgets Recife is pure gold. So easy to get mutating patterns thanks to its live jamming setting. It might be a poor mans patterning according to @ExAsperis99 but it's fantastic for creating semi mutating patterns quick and fast and also to drive my Volca sample thanks to midiFILTr-VS :D

Is that possible with Future drummer into Gadget and Recife? I´m new to this MIDI patterns and a tried to get the patterns from Steppolyarp to Gadget and manipulativt the MIDI patterns there but I´m to much of a noob for that. Do you get the hole pattern from Future drummmer direct into Gadget and manipulate the pattern there?!

• I recorded the entire midi pattern into recife. And yes. You can manipulate it after.

• How, exactly? Asking for, uh, marcuspresident.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    How, exactly? Asking for, uh, marcuspresident.

enable midi out in Futuredrummer to its own port.
    in gadget set recife to futuredrummer port and channel (default is 10)
    record.
    its that simple lol. the retro kit in recife is amazing with this.
    in bilbao and london the drums dont exactly line up but if you create custom drumkits there is magic to be had there too.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    How, exactly? Asking for, uh, marcuspresident.

enable midi out in Futuredrummer to its own port.
    in gadget set recife to futuredrummer port and channel (default is 10)
    record.
    its that simple lol. the retro kit in recife is amazing with this.
    in bilbao and london the drums dont exactly line up but if you create custom drumkits there is magic to be had there too.

Ohh! So nice. No I have to invest in Future drummer as well. My wallet getting thinner and thiinner. But I really want patterns that's ready. I don't have the time to build my own drum patterns.
    How about Gladstone then?