Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FM Essentials updated

• Fixed stutter on playback problem in GarageBand (making it previously unusable as an AU)
  • Reintroduced issue of every instance switching to the same preset

Comments

• Still no IAP option for non MX users :(

• @Samu said:
    Still no IAP option for non MX users :(

Don't think that's ever coming :# I would get an MX to unlock it, but the free version has been so unstable it would be a sure waste.

• edited April 2017

Im really looking into getting the mx88 for performances and gigs. If the IOS integration is good I dont care about there app I have millions of others I just need audio out and midi control in one box

• @Samu said:

I can't work this out. The guys who own the hardware probably don't care about this app, and the guys who own the app and want access to the full features aren't going to buy the hardware just to unlock it. Surely Yamaha would make more money from this app if they introduced an IAP that allowed access to the full functionality?!

• @Beathoven said:

@Samu said:

I can't work this out. The guys who own the hardware probably don't care about this app, and the guys who own the app and want access to the full features aren't going to buy the hardware just to unlock it. Surely Yamaha would make more money from this app if they introduced an IAP that allowed access to the full functionality?!

It sure feels like a gimmicky promotional deal. Well they intended to sell their MX series with this goodie. I guess it is supposed to trigger "hey i got an iPad already that fits well together" reaction in the potential buyers mind...

• @Beathoven said:

@Samu said:

Maybe it's internal politics and the hardware division won.

• It's worse when you an MX already but it's the old series and doesn't activate the app. Thanks Yamaha -_-

• Today I visited the local music store here in Gothenburg Sweden and unlocked my copy of FM Essentials for 'free'.

My local dealer (http://www.andreassonmusik.se) already had information from Yamaha regarding the FM Go campaign so it was just a matter of asking for permission to mess around with the MX V2, attach the USB Cable with CCK(which I had with me) and voila it's all now unlocked and I'm happy! :D

• Wow! How are the sounds?

• @Samu said:
    Today I visited the local music store here in Gothenburg Sweden and unlocked my copy of FM Essentials for 'free'.

My local dealer (http://www.andreassonmusik.se) already had information from Yamaha regarding the FM Go campaign so it was just a matter of asking for permission to mess around with the MX V2, attach the USB Cable with CCK(which I had with me) and voila it's all now unlocked and I'm happy! :D

Im not sure to have a dealer in my area (maybe in Germany) but it sounds good.How many presets are added ? I see there are several grand piano, How are they realistic ? I didn't know an fm synth could recreate a real piano sound .

• @realdavidai said:
    Wow! How are the sounds?

Like the 'Originals' :)

The app is free to download and check out so there's nothing to loose other than a few megs of storage on the iOS device.

• @grego68 said:

Im not sure to have a dealer in my area (maybe in Germany) but it sounds good.How many presets are added ? I see there are several grand piano, How are they realistic ? I didn't know an fm synth could recreate a real piano sound .

It's 'FM Grand Piano' nowhere near a realistic Grand Piano, that's the charm of FM :D
    (4*64 patches + some 'combinations' that need the MX).

• edited April 2017

@Samu said:

@grego68 said:

It's 'FM Grand Piano' nowhere near a realistic Grand Piano, that's the charm of FM :D
    (4*64 patches + some 'combinations' that need the MX).

I the latest free version of the app, it can't be multi-instanced as an AU... In that all instances seem to share the same preset. Are you noticing this on your end?

• So if you had to reinstall it, would you need to unlock it again?

• @Carnbot said:
    So if you had to reinstall it, would you need to unlock it again?

I don't know if the app stores anything 'in the cloud' but if it does it would unlock it again on re-install.
    (Don't feel like deleting the app just to check this to be honest).

• @realdavidai said:

I the latest free version of the app, it can't be multi-instanced as an AU... In that all instances seem to share the same preset. Are you noticing this on your end?

Yepp, hope an update comes soon...
    It does feel like a 'bug' since that was not the case before.

Oh well, at least I can create and edit patches while waiting for the update to fix the multi-instance issues.

• @Samu said:

@Carnbot said:

I don't know if the app stores anything 'in the cloud' but if it does it would unlock it again on re-install.

Possibly they are putting an unlock code in the Docs/Data folder on iOS?

• @Samu said:

@Carnbot said:

Or maybe you could install on your iPhone to see if it inherits the unlock (Assuming you have an iPhone)

• @realdavidai said:

Or maybe you could install on your iPhone to see if it inherits the unlock (Assuming you have an iPhone)

Just installed it on my iPhone. It needs to be connected to MX as well...
    Don't know if it's activation 'per device' that is required and when done it 'carries over' after re-install.

I do have a feeling Yamaha will release more 'hardware' that will be able to unlock stuff.
    The AG03/AG06 usb mixer/sound-cards are 'discontinued' but new stuff is apparently on the way but no ETA.

• Ironically I see there is a Yamaha music school in my town but I don't know if there is a music shop with Yamaha keyboards ...I have got to learn music theory before buying lol

• Pity there wasn't another way to unlock FM essentials. My local music store is a Yamaha dealer but they said that they won't be getting any stock of the MX synths.

• @Artmuzz said:
    Pity there wasn't another way to unlock FM essentials. My local music store is a Yamaha dealer but they said that they won't be getting any stock of the MX synths.

They should get them (MXV2's) once the Yamaha FM GO! Campaign starts rolling...
    (The stores should by now have some info from Yamaha, at least the store I visited had gotten some info from Yamaha regarding this, the sales-rep checked the mail before I was allowed to hook my iPad to the MX).

• @Samu said:
    Today I visited the local music store here in Gothenburg Sweden and unlocked my copy of FM Essentials for 'free'.

I was going through the AU list and saw FM Essentials was on it.
    I had deleted the app before the update (last time I messed with it it had the blown up iPhone app only interface), so I downloaded it again for another AU instrument.

I guess I forgot about the annoying locked functionality (no doubt why I erased it before), but @Samu's solution is brilliant. Next time I go to Guitar Center or Sam Ash I'm bringing my CCK & USB in case they have any MX's there.

I'd have zero guilt for doing so too and I'm very anti-piracy. I think software, apps, licensing,etc should be payed for like any instrument or album. But when a company doesn't even SELL the product, instead hiding it behind a marketing ploy to sell something 6 or 7 times the value of the app? Nah man nah.

Especially since it's now an AU, Yamaha could offer all the voices for sale in an IAP for as much as $10 and a lot of us would pay no problem.

@Beathoven was spot on. Those of us who want the full app as a defacto sound module no doubt already have a MIDI controller​, etc and by virtue of using the iOS MOBILE app we like the portability of using the app alone or with a small controller, not another big ass keyboard.

• @JRSIV said:

I'd have zero guilt for doing so too and I'm very anti-piracy. I think software, apps, licensing,etc should be payed for like any instrument or album. But when a company doesn't even SELL the product, instead hiding it behind a marketing ploy to sell something 6 or 7 times the value of the app? Nah man nah.

The 'free unlock' is part of the FM GO! campaign and used as a 'carrot' for visiting a local store to give the MX V2 a spin :)

So there is no need for feel any guilt at all by unlocking the FM Essentials.app at the store and Yamaha even encourages you to do it...

Too bad I was in a rush because it would have been a perfect opportunity to also try the 'Audio Interface' features and make some pristine samples from the MX by digitally recording the output straight to AudioShare...

• @realdavidai said:

@Samu said:

Don't think that's ever coming :# I would get an MX to unlock it, but the free version has been so unstable it would be a sure waste.

Well from a business perspective I guess they haven't looked at say Walmart?

Better to sell 1 million items for $3 than 5000 x $20 for bottom line.

Before anyone says "that isn't der brand" well they have free apps so a reasonable IAP would be a better bet.

Simply put, more likely to sell more hardware if more people new how amazing the sounds were than vice versa, ay?

• @RustiK said:

@realdavidai said:

@Samu said:

Well from a business perspective I guess they haven't looked at say Walmart?

Better to sell 1 million items for $3 than 5000 x $20 for bottom line.

Before anyone says "that isn't der brand" well they have free apps so a reasonable IAP would be a better bet.

Simply put, more likely to sell more hardware if more people new how amazing the sounds were than vice versa, ay?

I don't think the hardware and the app have anything in common soundwise...

• Ok so if I take my iPad and iPhone to GC plug midi USB cable with cck adapter and do I need to do anything in the menu of the Mx?

• Came to guitar center they don't even have it on display! Man GC not looking good like the old days :o

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Ok so if I take my iPad and iPhone to GC plug midi USB cable with cck adapter and do I need to do anything in the menu of the Mx?

The MX just needs to be turned on for the unlock to work.
    (It takes a few seconds for the FM Essentials app to realise it's connected).

I just connected mine and when I wen't to browse for some patches they were already unlocked :)

Now we just have to wait for Yamaha to update it so we can use multiple instances as there is a bug that makes all AUv3 instances use the same patch...

• GC guys came thru opened a brand new one for me to load up the app!!!
    Great service!
    iPhone and iPad activated!