Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Flux:FX and external midi problem?

Hi all,

I've been using Flux:FX for a while and have started trying to set it up to control it with an external midi controller (Midi Fighter Twister). Unfortunately, the results have been strangely inconsistent. Some functions are responding to their midi cc change, but some are not and I had no results with any function that are supposed to respond to midi notes.

ie. I'm referring to these http://flux.noii.se/manual/#midi

I've managed to make Input/Output/Mix level work (cc 3, 7 & 4), but not "SmoothingControlNumber" (cc 5) for instance.

More info that maybe could trig a hint from someone:

• FLUX:FX set to midi channel 13, midi fighter sending to channel 13
  • FLUX:FX midi monitor shows the midi message coming in on "ch 0" regardless on what's sent. It does work however for the above mentioned cc 3/7/4 and setting FLUX:FX to omni doesn't change anything either. I've monitored through the AUX app and the messages are definitely sent on ch13. So the monitor seems to always show ch0 regardless, but maybe I've got something wrong here?

I've tested sending my midi messages directly from ableton using midi out to my iConnect4+ and had the exact same results.

Did anyone ever got them to work? I'd really love to start the sequencer and set fx on/off through my midi fighter but it's been a bummer so far.

Thanks a bunch,
JG

cc: @NOIISE (Really loving your app, hope we'll be able to figure it out!)

Comments

• I vaguely remember somewhere in this Forum's original Fluxfx thread something about some of the midi info in manual being wrong, it was either corrected in thread or on their website ,so maybe a search for it here will help .

But I also remember there were outstanding midi issues , & the long long promised next update that was going to fix them never appeared .

Now as IOS 11 looms & Fluxfx is only 32 bit , the question is whether they will update to 64bit . If not you might wanna look for other apps to learn .

• edited April 2017

Ok, I've found the info on that thread, seems like midi has been broken since iOS9.
    Finger's crossed for a future update... It would be a shame to let such an incredibly well designed and sounding app die.

Thanks!

• I've used MIDI with FLUX:FX quite a lot. I put up a thread a while ago showing how I got it working.

• Yeah, I've seen your thread but even setting flux:fx to omni doesn't seem to do much either. Been trying with midi fighter, external midi keyboard, ableton and from aum built-in midi keyboard on both fixed channel and omni and never managed to get it working outside of Input/Output/Mix. There must be something wrong in my iConnect4 midi routing, but midi works perfectly in every other app I've tried.

Oh well, I'll keep searching if you've managed to make it work. Thanks for the reply!

• edited April 2017

It's worth it! Controlling the touch on/off as well as X and Y parameters while automatically toggling the different effects on and off and switching scenes automatically is fantastic!

I used Modstep on a second iPad to control it. I use the same interface as you so I'm not sure what to suggest. I managed to get it to accept the MIDI note/CC and clock info just by setting the channels. Took a while to figure out what notes to send though.

Did you find my old thread on how I got it set up myself?

• That's the thread I've read: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/14461/modulating-flux-fx-with-modstep-solved-modstep-template

The midi cc number/notes in flux:fx manual are pretty clear, I assume they have been updated since your thread. I will give it another try tonight. I really wanna do exactly what you're describing, I know it'll be worth it sonically B)

• some numbers were wrong, went through methodically hunting the correct ones. they're there

• edited June 2017

Thanks a lot, I've managed to find the ones I needed hunting them your way.

For reference if it can help anyone:

• Start/stop sequencer is G4 (Not G2)
    • FX slots on/off is C4-E4 (Not C2-E2)
    • Sequencer smoothing is indeed cc# 5, but update is not displayed when using midi in sequencer view, only in the main view
  • @JohnGredin said:
    Thanks a lot, I've managed to find the ones I needed hunting them your way.

For reference if it can help anyone:

• Start/stop sequencer is G4 (Not G2)
    • FX slots on/off is C4-E4 (Not C2-E2)
    • Sequencer smoothing is indeed cc# 5, but update is not displayed when using midi in sequencer view, only in the main view

Glad to hear you got it working! Flux:Fx is amazing.

What app/device are you sending MIDI from? I used Modstep myself and believe that the numbers correlated correctly (they were taken from my previous post for the manual and I had everything working). May just be a case of different apps having different standardisations, but I'll check it when I get the chance.

• I'm sending them from a Midifighter Twister into an iConnectAudio4+.

I've been using this table to find the midi note number however (as midifighter software is asking for the midi note number), maybe it's wrong all along and could explain it:
    http://www.electronics.dit.ie/staff/tscarff/Music_technology/midi/midi_note_numbers_for_octaves.htm

• Omg, indeed, I've misread the table. My bad!
    (Took me 2 months to figure it out :( )