Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

TheAudioDabbler | Trap Drums and new Camera

Trap Drums @ExAsperis99 Does this help?

New Camera VLOG

Comments

• edited April 2017

Oh, hey, man! That's awesome. Very cleverly done. (And pretty damn accurate!)
    Surprised that you need to leave Gadget at all. I discovered just this morning that iSpark has a pretty good roll feature. But Recife has the roll/repeat button right there.
    I'm going to try this myself, even though I find the trap hi-hats kind of exhausting....

Excellent work.

• @ExAsperis99 Yes Recife has the roll/repeat knob but I always find automation for specific values in Gadget to be very finicky. Using the knob might work if its mapped to a physical knob and you can just fiddle with it, recording the automation.

I think my next midi controller purchase will be something like an Akai MPD232, since it has those note repeats built in. I think that would be the best workflow.

• It's funny. When I'm playing the Recife (as I was in iSpark), those rattling hi-hats sound just right. And though I have recorded this performance, when I play it back, it's all 1/16th notes. (Same with iSpark.) Maybe I didn't have the grid correct? And though I played 1/32nd notes, it was possibly set to 1/16th notes? Will investigate further. Inspired by your troubleshooting!

Also, I'm going to give the Nanokey Studio a try.

• I found either turning quantize off or leaving it on, and turning the grid to 1/64 notes as the best results. It seems that quantize is dependent upon what grid you have selected.

• I was looking for a solution for sequencing rolls with quick quantize changes. Thanks, @gmslayton! Here's a link to the app, which is free at the moment:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/synth-arp-drum-pad-us/id530320055

• I think the 'trick' to successfully automate 'repeat' in Gadget's Recife is to put one long note(1-4 bars) in the pattern and engage repeat for the pad and automate it. This way you avoid the 'grid' in Gadget...

• @Samu said:
    I think the 'trick' to successfully automate 'repeat' in Gadget's Recife is to put one long note(1-4 bars) in the pattern and engage repeat for the pad and automate it. This way you avoid the 'grid' in Gadget...

Also clever! Will try immediately.

• Aha.
    Well it seems in Recife that the repeat speed (1/8, 1/16, 1/16T, etc) is global to the pad. If you draw in a hi-hat, you can set that sound to any repeat you like, but it can't alternate among note values. Someone clever on another thread suggested that you could load the same hi-hat sample on several pads and have each dedicated to a various note, which will work. But I like Master Slayton's fix above.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Aha.
    Well it seems in Recife that the repeat speed (1/8, 1/16, 1/16T, etc) is global to the pad. If you draw in a hi-hat, you can set that sound to any repeat you like, but it can't alternate among note values. Someone clever on another thread suggested that you could load the same hi-hat sample on several pads and have each dedicated to a various note, which will work. But I like Master Slayton's fix above.

But you can automate the repeat rate either by recording or drawing.
    This way it's easy to alternate repeat rates and do triplet rolls etc.

I see no point in using external apps for this :)

• That's very true, Samu, excellent point.

But that seems to be kind of a nonmusical approach, to lay down a beat using one of Gadget's notoriously finicky knobs. You really want to be playing the pads, you know? I guess I could draw that in in the automation, but that seems to run counter to the rhythmic nature of the music.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    That's very true, Samu, excellent point.

But that seems to be kind of a nonmusical approach, to lay down a beat using one of Gadget's notoriously finicky knobs. You really want to be playing the pads, you know? I guess I could draw that in in the automation, but that seems to run counter to the rhythmic nature of the music.

Hold down the pad and 'play' the repeat knob and leave the repeat button on :)
    Doesn't get much easier than that.

• @Samu said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    That's very true, Samu, excellent point.

Hold down the pad and 'play' the repeat knob and leave the repeat button on :)
    Doesn't get much easier than that

You would certainly think so. But it does not work that way I'm afraid. Surely I'm doing something wrong.

• @Samu said:
    I see no point in using external apps for this :)

A few use cases:

• Triggering custom drum kits in Bilbao
    • Quickly and accurately switching between quantizations
    • Outputting midi data for use in other programs as opposed to quantization automation that's only useful in Gadget
  • Actually, iMaschine works beautifully for trap beats. If anyone cares.