Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

TC-11 versus TC-data

TC-11 looks interesting, however I already have a very large number of synths, therefore is there any reason why I should consider getting TC-11 instead of getting TC-Data and using that to play my existing synths?

Comments

• I too have this question, although I've already got TC-11. And I love playing this app, but I find that the built-in patches lean heavily toward the rattling-ghosts-stomping-around-an-abandoned-warehouse variety....
    So wish I could play Animoog with this....

• You could also consider looking at KRFT when it gets midi out. I got TC-Data but never got too far with it. With KRFT I became a total fanboy (hence the avatar) and am anxiously awaiting midi out which is said to be coming. Can't wait!

As for TC-11, I really loved it and used it a lot back in the day. I found the sound engine a bit grainy and thin though after a while and it doesn't come into rotation that often. I would love to see a more CPU hungry version with smoother under the hood voodoo.

• @AudioGus said:
    You could also consider looking at KRFT when it gets midi out. I got TC-Data but never got too far with it. With KRFT I became a total fanboy (hence the avatar) and am anxiously awaiting midi out which is said to be coming. Can't wait!

As for TC-11, I really loved it and used it a lot back in the day. I found the sound engine a bit grainy and thin though after a while and it doesn't come into rotation that often. I would love to see a more CPU hungry version with smoother under the hood voodoo.

Excellent point!

Related: Why is midi out so difficult/secondary? And if the Wizards of KRFT can do it so effortlessly (knock on wood), why can't everybody?

• @mungbeans said:
    TC-11 looks interesting, however I already have a very large number of synths, therefore is there any reason why I should consider getting TC-11 instead of getting TC-Data and using that to play my existing synths?

Nope, you've got some sound logic going on. Plus as AudioGus said the sound engine is on the tinny side. I was much happier when I finally made myself sit down and figure out all the TC-Data mapping options.

• TC data is loads of fun controlling a bunch of synths, but maxes out my Air 2 in the process. TC 11 is a great synth, though editing's a bit fiddly.

Happy to have both in my toolbox, but will use them more when I get a more powerful pad in the future.

• @AudioGus said:
    You could also consider looking at KRFT when it gets midi out. I got TC-Data but never got too far with it. With KRFT I became a total fanboy (hence the avatar) and am anxiously awaiting midi out which is said to be coming. Can't wait!

Any particular reason you didn't get very far with TC-Data?

• I think that TC 11 is an app that needs A TON of TIME.

Unless you really meddle with patches and grasp the depths of the settings and control available, you are shorting yourself.

With the multi screen options the app is really top notch and I say give a load of time with the app before you pass judgement.

As far as the presets that come with the app, they are not really a full display of what is there. Give it time.

• @RustiK said:
    I think that TC 11 is an app that needs A TON of TIME.

And for the same reason tc data needs the same amount of time. Avoid on bigger devices or build a custom stand.

• @mungbeans said:

@AudioGus said:

Any particular reason you didn't get very far with TC-Data?

Now that I think about it, it was a while ago and I probably would fair a bit better with it now but I do think it just overwhelmed me as far as setup time. KRFT is super quick to setup and I imagine the same philosophy should carry over well to controlling external apps. Still... midi is whack on iOS (and often beyond), so fingers crossed!

• @mungbeans said:

There is the free version if you wanted to try it out

TC-Performer by Bit Shape
    https://appsto.re/au/wpA66.i

• I use TC-11 for lead sounds, strange beds and embellishments. I froze my iPad Air 1 on iOS 7.1.2, just got the new iPad 5 and the Multi-Mode where you can have up to 4 instances of TC-11 at once is blowing my mind. TC-Data also has the Muti-Mode, you need a 64 bit device for this function. I love the sound of TC-11and find it holds a specific place in the mix. My only wish is for some way to sync the arpeggiator to other apps clocks. I love the interface. It's still quite unique for iOS.

• @philowerx said:
    I use TC-11 for lead sounds, strange beds and embellishments. I froze my iPad Air 1 on iOS 7.1.2, just got the new iPad 5 and the Multi-Mode where you can have up to 4 instances of TC-11 at once is blowing my mind. TC-Data also has the Muti-Mode, you need a 64 bit device for this function. I love the sound of TC-11and find it holds a specific place in the mix. My only wish is for some way to sync the arpeggiator to other apps clocks. I love the interface. It's still quite unique for iOS.

You can also install TC-Performer... use split screen with the 4 panes of TC-11, and have 5 panes all at once. :)

• @skiphunt said:

@philowerx said:
    I use TC-11 for lead sounds, strange beds and embellishments. I froze my iPad Air 1 on iOS 7.1.2, just got the new iPad 5 and the Multi-Mode where you can have up to 4 instances of TC-11 at once is blowing my mind. TC-Data also has the Muti-Mode, you need a 64 bit device for this function. I love the sound of TC-11and find it holds a specific place in the mix. My only wish is for some way to sync the arpeggiator to other apps clocks. I love the interface. It's still quite unique for iOS.

You can also install TC-Performer... use split screen with the 4 panes of TC-11, and have 5 panes all at once. :)

Wicked!

• Has anyone managed to get anything musical out of TC-11? I bought it and had a lot of fun playing with it for hours last night. But I went to bed feeling like I had dropped $25 on something that may be useful for weird synthy sound effects but not much else.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Has anyone managed to get anything musical out of TC-11? I bought it and had a lot of fun playing with it for hours last night. But I went to bed feeling like I had dropped $25 on something that may be useful for weird synthy sound effects but not much else.

It is certainly more on the 'weird synthy sound effects' side of things but I find it has lots of musical potential, particularly after chopping and editing in a daw / sampler. For me it is mainly a timbre source, loose jammer/sketcher for sound collaging. As a standalone instrument to be tamed/played?, yah pretty crazy.

• @AudioGus said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Has anyone managed to get anything musical out of TC-11? I bought it and had a lot of fun playing with it for hours last night. But I went to bed feeling like I had dropped $25 on something that may be useful for weird synthy sound effects but not much else.

It is certainly more on the 'weird synthy sound effects' side of things but I find it has lots of musical potential, particularly after chopping and editing in a daw / sampler. For me it is mainly a timbre source, loose jammer/sketcher for sound collaging. As a standalone instrument to be tamed/played?, yah pretty crazy.

Could you point me to any tracks of yours that get it done? I need some inspiration to come to terms with this thing.

• Using the built in sequencer can tame it a bit, I'm hoping the sequencer will get midi in eventually and Link, think the dev said it was ultimately in the pipeline. I do mostly use it for sound design and soundtrack sound effects though but it's very worthy even if just used for that.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Wizards of KRFT

>

That is a movie I want to see. :)

Yes, though it takes a little practice to build up skills. It's like playing a fretless string instrument, a slide trombone or a Theremin. Once you have your technique down TC-11 is great for live work.

• @philowerx said:

Yes, though it takes a little practice to build up skills. It's like playing a fretless string instrument, a slide trombone or a Theremin. Once you have your technique down TC-11 is great for live work.

Would lov> @philowerx said:

Would love to hear a recording. There are only two videos on Youtube where anyone even gets close to a controlled melody on the thing.

• edited September 2017

Perfect excuse for me to drop this video here. Not mine, it's by Fabio Ribeiro who I think is on the forum here too.. But my absolute favourite iOS perfomance video... Inspiring & hypnotic!

• edited September 2017

@SpookyZoo that dude really knows his tools, great performance :+1:

now for something completely different...
    this is TC-11 (3 live synth pads) solo until 1.40, after that the pads have been cut and arranged with Jazz drums from Band in a Box and and improvised Fender Precision Bass

same sounds in a different arrangements, with a Walden acoustic and a Telecaster, kind of filmscore or so...

@philowerx said:

Would love to hear a recording. There are only two videos on Youtube where anyone even gets close to a controlled melody on the thing.

BM2, iVCS3, and two instances TC-11, the second the melodic lead. Forewarned this piece is quite moody, potentially sad and bit dark. You can setup TC-11 and TC-Data to have an interface like GeoShread but with more control if you set your mind to it. Cheers

• @philowerx said:

@philowerx said:

BM2, iVCS3, and two instances TC-11, the second the melodic lead. Forewarned this piece is quite moody, potentially sad and bit dark. You can setup TC-11 and TC-Data to have an interface like GeoShread but with more control if you set your mind to it. Cheers

And another dark piece inspired by the Florida Pulse nightclub massacre. BM2, Hexaglyphics and TC-11 again as the melodic lead.

• @Telefunky said:
    @SpookyZoo that dude really knows his tools, great performance :+1:

now for something completely different...
    this is TC-11 (3 live synth pads) solo until 1.40, after that the pads have been cut and arranged with Jazz drums from Band in a Box and and improvised Fender Precision Bass

same sounds in a different arrangements, with a Walden acoustic and a Telecaster, kind of filmscore or so...

Nice work @Telefunky

• Thanks very much for all the links guys. I love it all. However, only the Fabio piece integrates TC-11 into a conventional musical environment. The other pieces use TC-11 as a sound effect. Which I love, but I'm looking to get actual melody out of the thing.

One challenge is not knowing where the notes are. Is it possible to label regions on the TC-11 screen with note names, so I know where to find them?

• edited September 2017

that is not a problem, as you can see in the first example (which is really spot on)
    It's the same as playing piano and guitar: no notes on keys and frets either ;)
    You can setup the grid to a tuning and you may include it's name in the patch.

The strongest point is that he literally generates a filter control out of the blue when he needs it - and that's exactly what I like about TC11/Data's approach.
    Of course this only works if you know your patch - and that's what's lacking in a lot of examples.
    People fiddle around with a structure of which they have no idea and glitchy noise is the result.
    In my case I needed a kind of ambient orchestra and I appreciated the slightly harsh sound of TC11 as a contrast to the warm bass sound and the guitar stuff. It's also an example that it doesn't always have to be top notch (individual) sound to get a nice mix result.

• @Telefunky said:
    It's the same as playing piano and guitar: no notes on keys and frets either ;)
    You can setup the grid to a tuning and you may include it's name in the patch.

This is a good point. The difference is that with a piano or guitar, you have visual symbols to indicate where you are in the chromatic scale. With controllers like TC-11 or the various strip keyboards like Thumbjam, etc., it is more difficult to know what the notes are without adding in some additional visual information.

• This is the first track I made with TC-11. It's all factory stock presets. I still cannot control the melody or harmony in any conventional sense, but I did get it to sound like music. There are pieces of it that would make great samples for an EDM track.

This is the first track I made with TC-11. It's all factory stock presets. I still cannot control the melody or harmony in any conventional sense, but I did get it to sound like music. There are pieces of it that would make great samples for an EDM track.

Nice! I think I've followed and subscribed to everyone who've posted in this thread so far. I LOVE both of these apps. What's REALLY cool is running TC-11 AND TC-DATA at the same time split screen. :) 8 different controllers on the screen at once.