Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midiflow Adapter for Audiobus 3 │Tutorial - haQ attaQ 214

The new Audiobus 3 MIDI routing system is pretty awesome. But right now most synth apps hasn't had time to catch up. So far we haven't had any way of really addressing this issue until now. Midiflow Adapter allows us to route MIDI to and from our older synthesizer apps inside Audiobus 3, by taking advantage of their core MIDI compatibility. In this video I am showing you a cool use case and also how to set stuff up!

Apps featured in this video: Midiflow Adapter, Midiflow Keyboard, Audiobus 3, Propellerhead Thor, Waldorf Nave, JimAudio Poison-202 Audionomy DM2, Primal Audio FM4, One Red Dog Media Arctic Pro Synth, Steinberg Cubasis, Amazing Noises Reverb FDN, KLEVGR Korvpressor, KYMATICA AUFX:PUSH, Mobile Only Zmors EQ

haqattaq

Comments

• All for way less than I'd pay for a guitar cable.

Support the devs providing timely solutions in a niche market.

• That was a useful video, thank´s!
    Not sure about if i like to have to set up apps this way. Doesn´t feel like fast workflow really.
    But of course it´s appreciated as workaround.
    At least it´s O.K. if i can save and recall the whole set-up with one button. But then all apps need state saving?
    I think i have to dive in deeper again into iOS. It feels like it´s getting more options but getting more complicated to use as Logic Pro :D

• @Cib said:
    That was a useful video, thank´s!
    Not sure about if i like to have to set up apps this way. Doesn´t feel like fast workflow really.
    At least it´s O.K. if i can save and recall the whole set-up with one button. But then all apps need state saving?
    I think i have to dive in deeper again into iOS. It feels like it´s getting more options but getting more complicated to use as Logic Pro :D

Aaaaaaaaaaaaw...I forgot to check on the whole saving and recalling thing. I've been working on this video for soooo long today that my brain went all mushy. I wonder what else I've missed :lol:

• @TheVimFuego said:
    All for way less than I'd pay for a guitar cable.

Support the devs providing timely solutions in a niche market.

Cheap apps is most definitely a strongpoint of iOS music making. And we get to vary all our "gear" wherever we go. :smile:

• edited April 2017

@jakoB_haQ said:

@Cib said:
    That was a useful video, thank´s!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaw...I forgot to check on the whole saving and recalling thing. I've been working on this video for soooo long today that my brain went all mushy. I wonder what else I've missed :lol:

Did you wipe the screen? ;)
    But i can recall this set-up with one click (or 2)?

• edited April 2017

@jakoB_haQ
    Excellent video as usual thank you.

I'm not yet clear how to use this adapter going the other way, placing Modstep as the ultimate "sender" of midi, routing though the adaptor thru midi modules to synth receivers...

So far relying on core midi in the stable and robust Genome, bypassing AB3 midi innovations (or even resorting to AB 2) is much simpler, but doesn't allow me access to those cool midi modulators from midi flow...

(I'm participating in the Modstep beta, and their implementation of AB is midstream so far, not quite dialed into the new AB, but not working as old AB either, but I hoped/thought maybe the midiflow adapter would work in the interim)

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @jakoB_haQ

I'm not yet clear how to use this adapter going the other way, placing Modstep as the ultimate "sender" of midi, routing though the adaptor thru midi modules to synth receivers...

So far relying on core midi in the stable and robust Genome, bypassing AB3 midi innovations (or even resorting to AB 2) is much simpler, but doesn't allow me access to those cool midi modulators from midi flow...

1. Load the adapter in the input slot on the midi page
    2. Start up ModStep in an input slot on the **audio ** (not midi) page
    3. Open up io for a ModStep track and set one of the 10 available "MF Adapter in" ports
    4. Back on the Midi page, load the target app into the output slot
    5. Open up the adapter. Select the channel that you want to send to the target app.

After that it's just a process of repeating that process (except step 2) for as many other tracks / apps as you want to control. Sorry, no time for screen-shots right now. Hope that helps.

• @wim said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @jakoB_haQ

3. Open up io for a ModStep track and set one of the 10 available "MF Adapter in" ports
    5. Open up the adapter. Select the channel that you want to send to the target app.

After that it's just a process of repeating that process (except step 2) for as many other tracks / apps as you want to control. Sorry, no time for screen-shots right now. Hope that helps.

Thanks for this! It's sounding much more straightforward the way you put it-

I'll give it a shot when I get back home.

Great thing about the Audiobuses, once all the Lego® pieces are connected, its a preset

• Yeah. I started thinking for a few moments it was a bit of work, then I realized it can be a one-time deal.

• Nice work as usual @jakoB_haQ (and @wim ).
    I really want to push TC-Data down the AB3 midi pipe. Unfortunately MF Adapter can not see it in anyway shape or form on its own. I do know that the amazing ThumbJam sees TC-Data as an input. So the only way I can send TC-Data into the AB3 midi world is to load ThumbJam as an audio input, silence ThumbJam internal sounds, the configure ThumbJam to route TC-Data input to one of the MF Adapter inputs. From there I am free to route TC-Data thru Midiflow plugins and to various sound makers. I wonder if @JohannesD can explain why ThumbJam can see TC-Data when connected as a audio source and not see TC-Data as a midi source. Of course I believe the best solution is for @BitShapeSoft to implement AB3 midi ;).

Here are shots of TC-Data controlling CMP Grand and Isymphonic as au's with ThumbJam as the connection into the AB3 midi scheme.

• edited April 2017

@wim
    Hey I was able to try out the schema on iPhone, with BM2, (sitting in the car waiting on the kid to finish scrimmage) worked very nicely, thank you very much.

(This was actually another AB3 hope, to find a way to sequence and record IAA, AUx instruments on iPhone, with BM2 while playing with midi modules, and AU and IAA fx...Very Cool: BM2 formerly closed to AUx instruments and fx, also formerly closed to IAA fx, not to mention MidiFlow Randomizers etc...doors opened...)

will run Modstep trial on iPad in a bit.

• iy works for me. You need to go to the midi target for each output and select the MF adapter channel.

• edited April 2017

@wim said:
    iy works for me. You need to go to the midi target for each output and select the MF adapter channel.

Thanks for that great reminder @wim :smile:
    I did not think to try that and it is indeed the explicit way. It does require saving the TC-Data patch specific to that configuration though.

Probably why it would be best for full AB3 integration for TC-Data.
    I was looking for a bit simpler solution where I could take an existing TC-Data patch with generic midi channels and direct them to MF Adapter. I have too many TC-Data patches already :blush:

• @wim
    The modstep setup worked like a charm - many thanks.

• @wim said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @jakoB_haQ

I've seen a few people asking for a multi instance step sequencer......this setup is pretty much that....Worth remembering that the receiver can also be Cubasis/Auria/Gadget/ModStep for recording the 'effected' midi when using the filters

• @AndyPlankton said:

@wim said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @jakoB_haQ

I've seen a few people asking for a multi instance step sequencer......this setup is pretty much that....Worth remembering that the receiver can also be Cubasis/Auria/Gadget/ModStep for recording the 'effected' midi when using the filters

Good to know- though I'm unclear how the DAW midi-receiver Lego® gets attached. Next to each synth midi receiver in the midi page, I'm guessing?

• edited April 2017

@Littlewoodg said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@wim said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @jakoB_haQ

Good to know- though I'm unclear how the DAW midi-receiver Lego® gets attached. Next to each synth midi receiver in the midi page, I'm guessing?

You could have both the DAW and the synth as the receiver on a AB channel, or have just the DAW in AB and host the synth in the daw itself.

EDIT: If you want to record multitrack into your DAW then put the MIDI Adapter as the Receiver and then configure your daw tracks to listen on the appropriate Adpater output and channel.

• edited April 2017

@AndyPlankton said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@wim said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @jakoB_haQ

You could have both the DAW and the synth as the receiver on a AB channel, or have just the DAW in AB and host the synth in the daw itself.

EDIT: If you want to record multitrack into your DAW then put the MIDI Adapter as the Receiver and then configure your daw tracks to listen on the appropriate Adpater output and channel.

Thanks much
    Multitrack midi into DAW sounds interesting, would be a new wrinkle for me in iOS: recording and shipping midi around to PC, say.

I'm still running a calculus of fewest-moving-parts, simplest setup, when selecting a clip launch style sequencer for AB...it's either AB3 with Modstep and midiflow adaptor, vs. Genome (core midi) in AB2 or AB3 (core midi in White Noise Audio stuff is rock solid, and dude was smart to make Genome an input so one can access it in the AB control panels when moving among sources.) downside to the Genome setup is trickier access to the midi modules, though Art Kerns stuff (midiLFOs, midiFltr) work either way...

• @Littlewoodg said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@wim said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @jakoB_haQ

Thanks much
    Multitrack midi into DAW sounds interesting, would be a new wrinkle for me in iOS: recording and shipping midi around to PC, say.

I'm still running a calculus of fewest-moving-parts, simplest setup, when selecting a clip launch style sequencer for AB...it's either AB3 with Modstep and midiflow adaptor, vs. Genome (core midi) in AB2 or AB3 (core midi in White Noise Audio stuff is rock solid, and dude was smart to make Genome an input so one can access it in the AB control panels when moving among sources.) downside to the Genome setup is trickier access to the midi modules, though Art Kerns stuff (midiLFOs, midiFltr) work either way...

I am also aiming for the least parts setup......at the moment there is no ideal.....having these tools to do this sort of stuff and then record the output MIDI into apps like modstep does help reduce on manual editing, but not ideal for live performance.

Once ModStep is AB3 midi compatible things will get a little easier again. :)

• @AndyPlankton
    The Genome thing is pretty cool, I can say. AB3 sort of sent me back to AB2 and AUM to dig in further, and that sent me into Genome (whose drum synth is pretty cool, wish it had Modsteps additive synth...it's always Rock Paper Scissors in iOS)

• I need help, I have MF Adapter installed and it's not showing up in either the input or output slot under the midi section, I have Audiobus 3 (iOS 10.3).

• @Chillmatic said:
    I need help, I have MF Adapter installed and it's not showing up in either the input or output slot under the midi section, I have Audiobus 3 (iOS 10.3).

Close AB and open again. I ran into this, too.

• edited April 2017

Thanks for the demo.Where is the option to have 3 keyboards in MF keyboard ? I have only two.
    Edit : i got it : it's in the portrait mode .

• edited April 2017

@Littlewoodg said:
    @AndyPlankton
    The Genome thing is pretty cool, I can say. AB3 sort of sent me back to AB2 and AUM to dig in further, and that sent me into Genome (whose drum synth is pretty cool, wish it had Modsteps additive synth...it's always Rock Paper Scissors in iOS)

Modstep should be the heart of every iOS based musical project...
    IMHO

• edited April 2017

@AndyPlankton said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @AndyPlankton

Modstep should be the heart of every iOS based musical project...
    IMHO

As of y'alls help on this thread (and my last two hours of device time) it's front and center once again. I've got the beta Modstep (which is still pre- AB3) but the midFlow adaptor has got me back inside and cranking...mmm midi modules

• Can I send midi into arctic prosynth using the midi adaptor?

• After a few attempts, I'm finding Midiflow Adapter to be very flaky in practice, perhaps no fault of its own. The main problem is state saving. Thor doesn't currently seem to save the MIDI Input connection to Midiflow Adapter, so that is something to remember when trying to reload a preset in AB3. Genome's experimental AB3 support doesn't restore the patterns used in the AB3 session. Another gotcha. We need more sequencer and synth apps to support AB3 Midi directly...

Unrelated to state saving, but worth mentioning somewhere: Modstep doesn't understand what stop means in AB3. To stop, toggle AB3 play. AB3 stop does nothing.