Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Best Music Notation App(s) for under $20 (before tax)?

Hello everyone. So, here's today's dilemma. I need a music notation app for iPad (or even universal), but either they cost over $20 accumulatively, or have a ton of negative reviews panning the app left and right due to the number of bugs. I'm looking for something simple to notate my own piano/vocal arrangements. For those who notate, what iOS app(s) would you recommend to me that doesn't cost a fortune and aren't riddled full of bugs? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I don't care much for PreSonus as a company due to their lousy support, but FWIW, I've heard good things about Notion on the desktop. Not sure how the app measures up, but it's in your price range and the reviews look pretty good.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id475820434

• @telecharge said:
    I don't care much for PreSonus as a company due to their lousy support, but FWIW, I've heard good things about Notion on the desktop. Not sure how the app measures up, but it's in your price range and the reviews look pretty good.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id475820434

I don't/haven't done it justice, but it's impressive.

• edited April 2017

Notion seems to be the best one at the moment. It does have some bugs that need fixing and have been there for quite a long time. So I wouldn't rate it 5 stars because of that.

• edited April 2017

Not for iOS but...A pen (or pencil) and a sheet of paper do the job nicely.

For less than $20.

There you go.

• @Lacm1993 said:

For less than $20.

There you go.

My HP printer can print out blank music manuscript from the printer alone.

• Notion

• @u0421793 said:

@Lacm1993 said:

For less than $20.

There you go.

My HP printer can print out blank music manuscript from the printer alone.

• edited April 2017

@Lacm1993 said:

For less than $20.

There you go.

Wow, thanks for your help. (Sarcasm.) I avoid other music forums because of lousy answers like this. I tried this already, and it went too slow. If you have no help for me and want to bring the helpful atmosphere of this forum down, then kindly sod off. I have deadlines to meet and have no time for this nonsense.

That said, I found Symphony Pro after a lot more searching, by Xenon no less. Works perfect, and I met one of my deadlines already.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Lacm1993 said:

For less than $20.

There you go.

Wow, thanks for your help. (Sarcasm.) I avoid other music forums because of lousy answers like this. I tried this already, and it went too slow. If you have no help for me and want to bring the helpful atmosphere of this forum down, then kindly sod off. I have deadlines to meet and have no time for this nonsense.

That said, I found Symphony Pro after a lot more searching, by Xenon no less. Works perfect, and I met one of my deadlines already.

Symphony pro it's awesome. I prefer notion myself but it's totally fine. Functionality it's a compromise no matter what, neither one it's perfect.

Notion + Apple Pencil it's great if you have an iPad Pro.

I have to do like 20-30 scores a week for work. Sibelius it's faster than anything (sadly, as I would like to go iOS only) and for professional work I think that's the best way. The problem it's price.

• @Lacm1993 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Lacm1993 said:

For less than $20.

There you go.

Symphony pro it's awesome. I prefer notion myself but it's totally fine. Functionality it's a compromise no matter what, neither one it's perfect.

Notion + Apple Pencil it's great if you have an iPad Pro.

I have to do like 20-30 scores a week for work. Sibelius it's faster than anything (sadly, as I would like to go iOS only) and for professional work I think that's the best way. The problem it's price.

I'm sorry I snapped mate. I made the deadline right on time, the deadline being to get done this piano/vocal medley of "Candle On the Water" and "Only You" (a surprise for my parents' 38th anniversary today) and to learn it before I performed it at this recital tonight. Others did great at the recital to moderate applause. However, once I was done, the whole room erupted into major applause (and screaming) like a freakin volcano. This being a room full of the type of well-to-do adults who attend symphonies and other Classical music events. So, yeah, that was a success.

Ah, Sibelius. I loved Sibelius in highschool as it was my software of choice. Then I got into college and saw they used Finale. So, instead of buying new textbooks (which was my preference), I purchased used for my first semester just so I could have leftover grant money to snag Finale at the student price. That said, once I learned Finale, I found it to be a faster workflow and became a pro at it. (In my orchestration class, my professor had me helping out the other Finale-illiterate students learn it with extra credit as payment, lol.) However, that's just me, and Finale's not for everyone's workflow.

So, when I'm marking down new ideas, I usually pull out the paper and pencil no doubt. It's the easiest way to quickly write down an idea before you forget it (whether that's a new melody for a song, or a piano riff for an arrangement, etc). However, I could never dream of writing a whole score by hand. I was trying my best to do so since I didn't feel like upgrading Finale to install it on this computer, lol, and then I got the bright idea to write this thread. It was taking FOREVER, and I could NOT sightread shit in order to learn the song for tonight.

Symphony Pro has turned out to be a godsend. Good for what I need to get done (piano/vocal arrangements). Now I'm using pencil and paper to mark down ideas for my next medley for the formal Spring recital coming up May 6th. Instead of the possibility of not getting it done in time, I can get it done a week before the recital comes!

And, even though tight deadlines can be quite harrowing, I feel ALIVE! :P