Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Trap Hi-Hats on Recife

So at the request of my hip-hop kid (he goes to the same Brooklyn high school Joey Bada$$ and the Pro Era crew went to, for what it's worth), I need to come up with a trap beat.
It's pretty simple in theory, and the sounds in the Recife Gadget are ideal.
But the soul of a trap beat — those drill-like hi-hats — are not working for me.
I lay down the eight-notes using the Repeat button. Then I'd like to drop in 1/16 notes here and there, a few 1/16th triplets, and if I can stomach it, a burst of 1/32nd notes. But the result is a mess of off-beat dropouts. I have tried grouping and ungrouping the hi-hats: same result.

Here's a tutorial for how to do it on a Maschine.

Comments

• There's this

so thanks @jakoB_haQ for these trap drums. But I can't believe nobody is using Recife for this.

• edited April 2017

So I played around with automating the repeat speed. Didnt seem to get desired results. I thought about midi mapping the repeat speed knob to a series of buttons on my quneo at different velocities but it just records automation. same as just drawing it in.

What we need is an app that can send midi out that simulates the note repeat functions of the hardware MPC, Akai controllers, or Mashine. I dont know if one exists. Maybe BM2? or BM3 once it finally gets released?

• I think it's definitely possible. I loaded the same HH sample on four pads and set the repeat parameters differently on each one. That way you can record 1/8 notes and perform with 1/16, 1/132, 1/64 notes on the fly to overlap the original recorded beat. It's not perfect or easy to automate but still sounds pretty good.
    The samples in Recife are damn good I think.

• that is a really clever fix.

• edited May 2017

@ExAsperis99 one of the main things that future drummer has over patterning is the ability to sub divide a step. Pretty much exactly what you need to do that glitchy repeat without needing to do workarounds like multiple copies of the hat etc. Best part is if you switch off quantise while recording recife actually obeys the midi sent in from future drummer. There's a bunch of ready made trap patterns that work really well as starting points too.

• edited May 2017

@ExAsperis99 Now that I think about it steppolyarp can subdivide steps too. Even do stuff like ratchet up the steps. You could use it to record the midi into recife using the chromatic keyboard.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

... the soul of a trap beat — those drill-like hi-hats — are not working for me.
    I lay down the eight-notes using the Repeat button. Then I'd like to drop in 1/16 notes here and there, a few 1/16th triplets, and if I can stomach it, a burst of 1/32nd notes. ...

32nd-note hats are a big part of the Trap sound, get used to it. ;)

why not just set your grid to 32 and draw some hats in? done.

• @jbuonacc said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

... the soul of a trap beat — those drill-like hi-hats — are not working for me.
    I lay down the eight-notes using the Repeat button. Then I'd like to drop in 1/16 notes here and there, a few 1/16th triplets, and if I can stomach it, a burst of 1/32nd notes. ...

Exactly this! And by drawing them out instead of relying on the repeater, you gain more control over quantization, velocity editing, etc.

https://allihoopa.com/s/ByDkbpIa

Gadget's piano roll is dead simple to use mate. As much of a Beathawk fan I am, Gadget's piano roll is just a wee bit smoother.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@jbuonacc said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Exactly this! And by drawing them out instead of relying on the repeater, you gain more control over quantization, velocity editing, etc.

https://allihoopa.com/s/ByDkbpIa

Gadget's piano roll is dead simple to use mate. As much of a Beathawk fan I am, Gadget's piano roll is just a wee bit smoother.

Excellent advice.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    @ExAsperis99 one of the main things that future drummer has over patterning is the ability to sub divide a step. Pretty much exactly what you need to do that glitchy repeat without needing to do workarounds like multiple copies of the hat etc. Best part is if you switch off quantise while recording recife actually obeys the midi sent in from future drummer. There's a bunch of ready made trap patterns that work really well as starting points too.

I might have to get this. Damn!

Meanwhile, I discovered that iSpark is great for these kinds of drums. But am I mistaken — it doesn't have Link?

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

How do you sub divide a step in Future Drummer, please?

• This from the Audio Dabbler:

• edited May 2017

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

How do you sub divide a step in Future Drummer, please?

When you click on a step the numbers you see above are subdivisions upto 16 pieces for super glitched out sounds. The hats @ExAsperis99 wants are in the lower range of subdivisions.