Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Core MIDI for Audiobus (Midiflow Adapter is out)

Little update from Midiflow for Audiobus 3: I've just released an adapter app that allows you to connect Core MIDI apps (which have not been updated for Audiobus MIDI). Please check the website for setup guides and videos: http://www.midiflow.com/audiobus/adapter

Get the app: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1225817367?mt=8&uo=4&at=1l3vbAX

Have fun! :)

Comments

• Looks very usefull. Instabought.

• Hi thanks for this interface, i am now able to send the Xynthesizr midi output ch 1 to destination MF adapter in 1 and use the AB3 midi pipeline.

• Handy, grabbed immediately.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • That's great, especially since there are some apps that will never be updated to AB3 midi I'm sure.

• @Carnbot said:
    That's great, especially since there are some apps that will never be updated to AB3 midi I'm sure.

I think it means less apps will be updated with AB3 midi to be honest

• God bless you dude! @JohannesD

• @BiancaNeve said:

@Carnbot said:
    That's great, especially since there are some apps that will never be updated to AB3 midi I'm sure.

That's what I said too :)

• It's no reflection on Midiflow or JohannesD, but this should not have required a separate app.

• @Carnbot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@Carnbot said:

Maybe some will not get updated as a result....but those devs who are bought into AB3 Midi will still update, and we can carry on using their apps while they do so.. Those that aren't bought in we can still use in AB3 to get the benefit of the MIDI Filters and routing. I was about to shelve AB3, as I did AB2, due to not having enough support for my preferred apps.....this is no longer an issue so I will carry on using AB3.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Carnbot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@Carnbot said:

Maybe some will not get updated as a result....but those devs who are bought into AB3 Midi will still update, and we can carry on using their apps while they do so.. Those that aren't bought in we can still use in AB3 to get the benefit of the MIDI Filters and routing. I was about to shelve AB3, as I did AB2, due to not having enough support for my preferred apps.....this is no longer an issue so I will carry on using AB3.

Oh i see what you mean now. :)
    No I don't see how that will affect the decision for the developer. It's definitely much more an advantage for the user and the app to have full AB3 midi support and most users won't want to go this route. But some developers eg Yamaha and TNr-e for example who hardly ever update probably will never update to AB3 midi so now you can use things like that.

It just means we can use AB3 as much as possible which is a good thing all round.

• This is nice but I must say I agree that IMHO this should be included without having to pay extra. I did buy it of course...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Munibeast said:
    This is nice but I must say I agree that IMHO this should be included without having to pay extra. I did buy it of course...

I buy to support hard working devs who add value, but I had to do some self talk to avoid the frustration building on this one. It's the principle, not the $2.

• Dont blame @JohannesD for this, he has provided a solution and is rightly charging for it.......It has been on other threads said that it was a conscious decision by the AB team to not include Core Midi connectivity

• @d4d0ug said:
    Patterning + Probability on steps + Midiflow adaptor + breakbeat in Reslice with arpeggios = Bonkers.

Even more looking forward to choke on Reslice now.

Happy days :)

• @AndyPlankton: understand your point but it's been widely communicated that midiflow for AB3 was/is a partnership. Sebastian even mentioned Johannes when he said that they'd consider a CoreMIDI bridge. I bought AB3 and the bundle... But wait, there's more! Whatever, it's $2 but it did raise my eyebrows.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @AndyPlankton: understand your point but it's been widely communicated that midiflow for AB3 was/is a partnership. Sebastian even mentioned Johannes when he said that they'd consider a CoreMIDI bridge. I bought AB3 and the bundle... But wait, there's more! Whatever, it's $2 but it did raise my eyebrows.

Maybe a brief flicker of the eyebrow here too, but only briefly, the thought of having all my apps back in the fold and with the MIDI Flow filters available on them brought a large grin to my face....
    Now where's that Are you still excited by iOS Apps thread :D

• @AndyPlankton said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @AndyPlankton: understand your point but it's been widely communicated that midiflow for AB3 was/is a partnership. Sebastian even mentioned Johannes when he said that they'd consider a CoreMIDI bridge. I bought AB3 and the bundle... But wait, there's more! Whatever, it's $2 but it did raise my eyebrows.

Maybe a brief flicker of the eyebrow here too, but only briefly, the thought of having all my apps back in the fold and with the MIDI Flow filters available on them brought a large grin to my face....

I would have liked to see it part of the Midiflow bundle, I agree. Maybe it could be part of a future midflow bundle to soften the blow a bit ;)

• @Carnbot said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

I would have liked to see it part of the Midiflow bundle, I agree. Maybe it could be part of a future midflow bundle to soften the blow a bit ;)

Going back to the previous comments about other devs adopting AB3 Midi....this being a paid option leaves incentive for those devs to update their apps ;)

• Thanks for your feedback so far.

Regarding the partnership with Audiobus: We were in frequent contact when designing the new MIDI system. However, we are not affiliated with each other. I don't benefit from AB sales, and AB does not benefit from MF sales. We are totally independent in financing the development work. That's why the Midiflow apps are sold through my personal Apple Developer account and not through Audiobus Pty Ltd.

Audiobus could have offered a free adapter app, or implemented virtual MIDI ports directly in the main app. The reasons against that were already mentioned in this thread: Keeping the main app clean, and encouraging other developers to update to the new SDK.

This adapter app is intended for advanced users who can handle the struggle with Core MIDI and don't want to wait until all other apps have been updated.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Carnbot said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Going back to the previous comments about other devs adopting AB3 Midi....this being a paid option leaves incentive for those devs to update their apps ;)

@AndyPlankton said:

@Carnbot said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

I agree but being part of a bundle is still a paid option. But am sure it will go in a future bundle as the rest of Johannes midiflow apps when more are released. So all good :)

• It is not possible to add another app to a bundle, I could only create a new bundle. But doing this with every new app I release (there are some more coming) would lead to many bundles, and an app can only be included in up to three bundles. I don't want to delete the original bundles because they are linked on some news sites.

• edited April 2017

Thanks for the explanation @JohannesD Look forward to the next midflow filters they are great :)

• @JohannesD Just a small thing....first time loading Midiflow adapter it didn't have an icon when in the midi inputs list....once added to a slot and loaded the icon now appears.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    @JohannesD Just a small thing....first time loading Midiflow adapter it didn't have an icon when in the midi inputs list....once added to a slot and loaded the icon now appears.

In Audiobus? I think that's because I released the app today and AB had to update the local database first, probably initiated by finding a new compatible app on your device.

• @JohannesD said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    @JohannesD Just a small thing....first time loading Midiflow adapter it didn't have an icon when in the midi inputs list....once added to a slot and loaded the icon now appears.

In Audiobus? I think that's because I released the app today and AB had to update the local database first, probably initiated by finding a new compatible app on your device.

Ahhh ok

• edited April 2017

@JohannesD
    Please consider a little instruction video for this tool. As you have done for the others.

Edit: There ARE actually a few usefull videos accesable from the website. Thanks.

• Bought. For any apps that do not have midi in/out selectables, route the MF adapter to/from the original Midiflow app and use that to communicate with the synth app.
    I.E. I now have Korg module playing from AB3 midi.