Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Are you still excited by iOS music apps?

I am not...

For me, we have got enough music apps to make any kind of music in almost all conceivable ways.

Prior to the release of nano studio ( hurry with nano 2 Matt please), we had toys that made sounds that could not be used to construct full songs.

Now we have a host of synths, drum machines, a few daws/ sequencers and a trillion fx apps.

We can route via AB, IAA or add ( scant few) as AUV3 in a decent daw

And we have some unusual generative type apps and sound mangers, what to speak of groovebox apps

I think AB 2 can now host 900 apps at least, am I right @sebastian ? And before long many of these will do AB3 then you have even more infinite possibilities...

So, what I am saying is that we are here..and we get more of the same kind of apps being released..beforehand it was all new, uncharted territory and I long for mor unique apps and complete sequencer/ daw type apps like the mythological nanostudio 2. Where you can get lost in one environment and stay there without having to buy more and more synths

As far as I can tell, the only problem with GarageBand is that one would depend on auv3 to get some decent sounds in as the built in sounds are limited and generic.i find IAA and AB quite problematic with GB..

what are your thoughts?

Comments

• I am always excited by something that will allow me to make a new noise, or control noise in a new way......but I get what you are saying...and it is credit to the devs that we are no longer as excited as before, because so much stuff is already available to us !

• @Love3quency said:

As far as I can tell, the only problem with GarageBand is that one would depend on auv3 to get some decent sounds in as the built in sounds are limited and generic.i find IAA and AB quite problematic with GB..

what are your thoughts?

What keeps my excited is precisely the challenge of AUv3. Any synth that does not play well with GB I've written off. Don't care how good they sound they don't exist to me. So the AUV3 prospects of instruments like Mood, Synthmaster One and the update of BeatHawk still give me a charge. I'm hoping @brambos makes a Sample-based evil brother to the Ruismakers

and then AU automation in hosts will change the world again :)

• I agree and only get excited when a new AU instrument is released. I nowadays focus on apps that can help tot achieve an easy and fast workflow.

• @Love3quency said:
    I am not...

For me, we have got enough music apps to make any kind of music in almost all conceivable ways.

Prior to the release of nano studio ( hurry with nano 2 Matt please), we had toys that made sounds that could not be used to construct full songs.

Now we have a host of synths, drum machines, a few daws/ sequencers and a trillion fx apps.

We can route via AB, IAA or add ( scant few) as AUV3 in a decent daw

And we have some unusual generative type apps and sound mangers, what to speak of groovebox apps

I think AB 2 can now host 900 apps at least, am I right @sebastian ? And before long many of these will do AB3 then you have even more infinite possibilities...

So, what I am saying is that we are here..and we get more of the same kind of apps being released..beforehand it was all new, uncharted territory and I long for mor unique apps and complete sequencer/ daw type apps like the mythological nanostudio 2. Where you can get lost in one environment and stay there without having to buy more and more synths

what are your thoughts?

I think you are dead wrong. What you are totally neglecting is the rapid hardware evolution on the mobile sector. Music Apps need CPU juice, and especially mobile CPUs are evolving at a rapid pace. Especially in the realm of analog emulation, you simply cannot have enough CPU power, at least at this point, if you talk to Urs Heckmann e.g.

Apple will push out faster and faster devices, and i want new synths that make proper use of that available power! I want more polyphony. I want oversampled filter and overdrive emulations.

I'll always want new stuff!!

• I love seeing something like KRFT grow into something much greater thanks to a responsive dev and knowledgable community.

I also like finding indie devs producing stuff that still innovates and brings something new to the table. SoundScaper, Shoom, Dhalang, all the little effects apps, etc.

Hell yeh I'm excited, it's a great time to be a mobile musician.

Sure it gets more difficult to find something unique or isn't already covered by a multitude of options (I definitely need zero more guitar processing apps and close to zero synths) but there will always be some bright spark with the next big thing on the brew.

I'm just as enthusiastic now as I was getting noises of an Acorn Electron. Music has carried me through and will do so ad infinitum.

• @realdavidai said:

@Love3quency said:

what are your thoughts?

What keeps my excited is precisely the challenge of AUv3. Any synth that does not play well with GB I've written off. Don't care how good they sound they don't exist to me. So the AUV3 prospects of instruments like Mood, Synthmaster One and the update of BeatHawk still give me a charge. I'm hoping @brambos makes a Sample-based evil brother to the Ruismakers

AUv3 in its current form is overhyped crap for synths, because you sacrifice the majority of your precious screen real estate. AUv3 SUCKS!

• edited April 2017

@hexagonsun83 said:

@realdavidai said:

@Love3quency said:

what are your thoughts?

AUv3 in its current form is overhyped crap for synths, because you sacrifice the majority of your precious screen real estate. AUv3 SUCKS!

Depends on what you are trying to do. From my perspective AUv3 is underhyped and under-represented. Good sounds, simple but elegant controls and multi-instancing are the most useful things for me.

• Agree with @TheVimFuego and @OscarSouth (in another recent thread) that the reason to get excited about new apps is that the devs are very much co creators in the music making process these days. So a new app or a new feature in an app is like a new LP or single arriving from your favorite band, y'know?

• edited April 2017

I'm fine with BlocsWave/Launchpad combo which bieng not "new" brings to iOS the best of Ableton. The missing part is carried by Group The Loop and Aum or GB.

I don't need more exciting news, I need better tools to do my shit in the easiest way possible. Nowadays it's possible from many ways (and workflows) so that could be a revamped exciting experienc if you find the right tools for you.

• Absolutely

Just when i think i've found the easiest creative workflow something like KRFT comes a long and improves on it

Also, with increasing cpu power comes more powerful iOS synths and the ability to host more at once without crackling or having to freeze tracks

I would have to disagree that Alchemy in GB is generic and i have no issues so far using AU in GB

• edited April 2017

@TheVimFuego said:
    I love seeing something like KRFT grow into something much greater thanks to a responsive dev and knowledgable community.

I also like finding indie devs producing stuff that still innovates and brings something new to the table. SoundScaper, Shoom, Dhalang, all the little effects apps, etc.

Hell yeh I'm excited, it's a great time to be a mobile musician.

Sure it gets more difficult to find something unique or isn't already covered by a multitude of options (I definitely need zero more guitar processing apps and close to zero synths) but there will always be some bright spark with the next big thing on the brew.

I'm just as enthusiastic now as I was getting noises of an Acorn Electron. Music has carried me through and will do so ad infinitum.

Got to admit... I am pretty excited about KRFT also...

• I'm excited because it seems that more and more we're seeing devs that finally are able to combine decently powerful apps, with interfaces that actually make sense on smaller touchscreens. For awhile there it seemed like you either had really simple things that were easy to use, or very powerful apps that were fiddly to control.

I like that I no longer need the bigger screen of the iPad to get my ideas down in a professional sounding manner. I can now just rely on the iPhone like I always wanted without having to squint constantly to see what I'm doing. iOS music making was always about portability to me, and not about being a desktop/laptop replacement. So yes, I think on that basis there's still a lot that can be done to be excited about.

• @Tarekith said:
    I'm excited because it seems that more and more we're seeing devs that finally are able to combine decently powerful apps, with interfaces that actually make sense on smaller touchscreens. For awhile there it seemed like you either had really simple things that were easy to use, or very powerful apps that were fiddly to control.

I like that I no longer need the bigger screen of the iPad to get my ideas down in a professional sounding manner. I can now just rely on the iPhone like I always wanted without having to squint constantly to see what I'm doing. iOS music making was always about portability to me, and not about being a desktop/laptop replacement. So yes, I think on that basis there's still a lot that can be done to be excited about.

Another pertinent point. We have recently gotten past the "radio announcer in front of the TV camera" beginning of iPhone music making.

• edited April 2017

I'm finally excited by the apps that are stable, well tested, with standard connection features - Audiobus, MIDI control, Link. After a couple enthusiastic years, I am tired of wasting time on cheap, buggy, half baked apps, that might get fixed if enough people buy them. I could have bought a quarter of the stuff, and had more time to make music.

Still have enthusiasm for the noisemaking toys, because they fit in to iOS nicely: simple, collectable, usable, unique. You don't need more than one DAW, unless you just love reading manuals. You don't need more than one sequencer, if you can find one that works the way you expect it to.

The ios music environment lends itself to lots of little bits working together, like a pedalboard, I'm grateful to our hosts for working on getting the infrastructure together to make that easier. Audiobus 3, with the midi routing, is a great step in the platform.

• We're so lucky so yes I'm thankful for iOS music creating apps

• edited April 2017

Swings and roundabouts - for every KRFT that pushes the envelope there's a bunch of apps languishing with bugs, lack of updates and missed potential. For all the joy of having this much power in such a small and portable device there's a rotation bug or update pop up nag in the middle of a performance.

Excitement and frustration in equal measures.

• I got equal parts overjoyed and frustrated yesterday when I did a full song in AUM with beathawk and fieldscaper and iwavestation on my iPhone se, I was so stoked! Then came trying to put it all together, and wishing I had cubasis and final touch on my phone. So I guess more apps
    Being universal would be really nice.

• Synths and stuff are wonderful but I'm always excited about apps that attempt to provide new workflows for music making or to do something unique in regards to compositional processes. that's why KRFT is again, such an important app. Because that's exactly what it's built for. And it's fun. so I'm excited for apps that can be used as both toys and serious tools. It's the toys that are the most inspiring anyways for me. So bring on more all in one grooveboxes with fun interfaces!

• For some time, I've been in the camp that's declared "we have the right tools for the job" as far as pro audio. I do agree, however, that we could use more powerful tablets to make workflows more efficient. I'm still inspired by what I can do with apps that have been around for several years, but trying to establish a workflow that isn't tedious proves to remain the challenge.

• Yes my appaholism is still there but I have no inspirations anymore to make music .I love to jam alone and to test apps but I am unable to upload tracks on SoundCloud anymore.If composing music is the final purpose I would say no to the answer :(

• Now more than ever!

I just upgraded from an Air1 to a 2017 iPad... VROOM! VROOM! Being able to jump around apps so damn quickly and rewire setups on the fly without constant glitching is amazing. Plus bouncing audio from blocs to cubasis to aum etc etc is so much faster now and way better than it was on my Air1.

I can't believe how good Cubasis has got since it came out. It is a beautiful balance of features and efficiency. None of the cognitive overhead from my PC daw.

KRFT is on the verge of changing the entire game in a huge way too.

Anyway, I totally agree with the chorus of Hardware, hardware, hardware! It makes the biggest difference.

• Well. iOS apps have certainly been a gateway drug for me, leading me to Logic Pro X and to hardware, where I am currently seeing the most potential and excitement. But the portability of iOS remains invaluable, and I still get excited when something truly new appears in the iOS world.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Tarekith said:
    I'm excited because it seems that more and more we're seeing devs that finally are able to combine decently powerful apps, with interfaces that actually make sense on smaller touchscreens. For awhile there it seemed like you either had really simple things that were easy to use, or very powerful apps that were fiddly to control.

Another pertinent point. We have recently gotten past the "radio announcer in front of the TV camera" beginning of iPhone music making.

Good.

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    I got equal parts overjoyed and frustrated yesterday when I did a full song in AUM with beathawk and fieldscaper and iwavestation on my iPhone se, I was so stoked! Then came trying to put it all together, and wishing I had cubasis and final touch on my phone. So I guess more apps
    Being universal would be really nice.

Audio Evolution Mobile Studio, while only currently for iPad, will be a universal app very soon according to the dev(s). For the meantime, you can't go wrong with Harmonic Dog's Multitrack DAW (In-App Audio, AB 2 AND 3 compatible and state saving) for the mixdown and Limiter from Amazing Noises for the brickwalling.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/multitrack-daw/id329322101?mt=8
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/limiter-amazing-noises-audio-processor/id945375756?mt=8

Cheers.

• always excited!! just as excited as i am with the desktop or hardware intrument world. i love the constant innovation in the music world. that's why I visit this forum so often. to see what's new and intresting

• I'm not the first one to say this, but the TV app is a smart move on Apple. I imagine that this resembles their original concept for the Apple TV and what they wanted to get from content providers - a unified interface that surfaces content from myriad channels. But the content providers feared being disintermediated or un-branded, so Apple let them put their apps and logos on the home screen. Now it's slow-rolling them back into what's best for users!

• @Processaurus said:
    I'm finally excited by the apps that are stable, well tested, with standard connection features - Audiobus, MIDI control, Link. After a couple enthusiastic years, I am tired of wasting time on cheap, buggy, half baked apps, that might get fixed if enough people buy them. I could have bought a quarter of the stuff, and had more time to make music.

Still have enthusiasm for the noisemaking toys, because they fit in to iOS nicely: simple, collectable, usable, unique. You don't need more than one DAW, unless you just love reading manuals. You don't need more than one sequencer, if you can find one that works the way you expect it to.

The ios music environment lends itself to lots of little bits working together, like a pedalboard, I'm grateful to our hosts for working on getting the infrastructure together to make that easier. Audiobus 3, with the midi routing, is a great step in the platform.

+1 on the platform coming of age

The DAW debate will rage on, so I won't dredge it up here, but I will say I'm excited by what BM3 will bring, especially on the universal front :) Now this 'one sequencer', what are the contenders?

• Not really excited anymore (i can say the same about the desktop tools).
    But from time to time there is a unique thing which goes a new way to let me create music or in a groundbreaking way.
    On iOS it was Animoog and Mitosynth.
    That's it so far.
    Finger Fiddle was a brillant app but the lack of midi in makes it a bit useless for me after a while.
    I still like it as sound source for Mitosynth.

• I think the peak of my iOS hype level was waiting for Patterning to come out. The Model 15 dropping randomly was the last huge moment.

Other than that, it's just been the slow burn of realizing I should've invested in Auria and the Fabfilters/PSPs earlier instead of blowing a lot of money elsewhere.

• I'm excited at the possibility of what is to come, because I don't think we've seen developers fully grasp the touch screen just yet. Sure, we've seen a few here and there, but mostly it's standard desktop stuff or just an afterthought.