Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I didn't know ThumbJam did this!

While playing with geo shred controlling ThumbJam blues harmonica, after it was suggested by @fprintf.
I lowered GS down to 0 octave hit some notes and it started playing chords.. sweet. Then when a little lower and this happened!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B41GUi__USywNFZUTnY5SUQ0Z3M

Comments

• Holy crap, that was amazing. Seriously, there is no way anyone would know that wasn't an actual blues harmonica.

• There are many things TJ does - and does well! One of the all time classic iOS apps for sure. I think it would be useful somehow for pretty much any style of music production.

• OK, that may have just sold me on Geoshred.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Holy crap, that was amazing. Seriously, there is no way anyone would know that wasn't an actual blues harmonica.

I was surprised as hell. I was just fumbling around and all the sudden I'm like what's going on?

• Woah, amazing........

• edited April 2017

Hah, good stuff. I'm pretty sure Jesse put some longer audio samples down in the lower register. just for fun Because a harmonica does not play Notes that low

• Brilliant @Bootsy !
    Thanks for sharing.
    Now try it with a Sax ...

• Oh, so I just tried it myself and I now see what's going on. It's a loop of a recorded harmonica. I thought you were getting that by playing GeoShred. You were just holding down the note that triggers the long sample.

• Correct. You can do it in tj also. Of course I had to try some others and haven't found any yet. I'll try the Sax.

• @Moderndaycompiler said:
    Brilliant @Bootsy !
    Thanks for sharing.
    Now try it with a Sax ...

No luck with the Sax☹️

• @gleandibson said:
    OK, that may have just sold me on Geoshred.

Yeah, dont let this example be what puts you over the edge. It's just a low register single note thst plays a loop. I was all excited too but really the only way to get that sound is
    to play the real thing!

• Very cool!!!!!!!!

• @gleandibson said:
    OK, that may have just sold me on Geoshred.

Geo shred is awesome! Even if this was just playing a loop that you could just play on ThumbJam. GS has amazing control of other apps and also amazing sounds onboard!
    So yeah don't let the harmonica loop sell ya but I would buy it for the other reasons stated.

• edited April 2017

Thumbjam is a lot like Gadget was for me: an app with huge reputation and reasonable support that for whatever reason I just never bought.

With Gadget it was because of my experience with Caustic 3 & MIDI VST's and I just didn't think a solely MIDI based quasi DAW was needed especially since I had Auria Pro. Thumbjam's layout frankly didn't look too inspiring and whenever I'd be tempted another app in that $10 range would distract me.

Well I bought Gadget during this months sale a few weeks back, and now with Zurich, etc. the app seemed much more attractive. Tonight, after coming up dry looking for decent string timbres in the Cello-Viola range for real string beds I bought Thimbjam.

Especially after seeing it never goes on sale according to the AppShopper.com listings I figured no time like the present. The hype is warranted, some of the sounds are unreal, and even though the layout isn't my favorite it is phenomenal. Plus there's like MB's of free samples to download (which with the entire app under 250MB adding more won't be too much of a space killer).

Okay my **TL;DR ** question:
    There's a utility for 'making your own' instruments by recording new audio or importing files. Is it easy to use or a big deal. I haven't even heart of the feature around here or on the app sites. Is there full on audio wave editing? Is there a bunch of utilities for different velocities, loop points, etc.

I would appreciate just a ballpark idea, I know I could just go in and start futzing with it but would rather not if it's a gimped way to get more sounds. Thanks for any input you guys have...

• We need a video of this or it will forever stay as one of those 'did this actually happen?" moments ;)

• That's amazing @Bootsy. Just shown my ole man, who is a Vintage Blues fan. Now he wants my iPad. Lol. But seriously, we were both impressed.

• Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

• @JRSIV said:
    The hype is warranted, some of the sounds are unreal, and even though the layout isn't my favorite it is phenomenal.

It's not hype :)

• @Hmtx said:
    Hah, good stuff. I'm pretty sure Jesse put some longer audio samples down in the lower register. just for fun Because a harmonica does not play Notes that low

Yeah, it was just an easter egg for that instrument... something cool captured during sampling.

• @JRSIV said:
    There's a utility for 'making your own' instruments by recording new audio or importing files. Is it easy to use or a big deal. I haven't even heart of the feature around here or on the app sites. Is there full on audio wave editing? Is there a bunch of utilities for different velocities, loop points, etc.

I would appreciate just a ballpark idea, I know I could just go in and start futzing with it but would rather not if it's a gimped way to get more sounds. Thanks for any input you guys have...

It is capable of letting you put together multi-sampled multi-velocity instruments BUT it is currently a bit clunky to do so. One of the big TODO items is to re-work that with all of the things you are asking about. But only you can decide if it is worth your time right now....

• @sonosaurus fwiw, I'd be willing to, indeed interested in, paying for a separate app that made creating those sorts of instruments easy/smooth. Particularly if it allowed for export to other apps via some sort of standard file type like sf2, exs, sfz or whatever the kids are using these days. And ++++ if it had autosampling via midi note triggering and audiobus or similar for capture.

• @syrupcore said:
    @sonosaurus fwiw, I'd be willing to, indeed interested in, paying for a separate app that made creating those sorts of instruments easy/smooth. Particularly if it allowed for export to other apps via some sort of standard file type like sf2, exs, sfz or whatever the kids are using these days. And ++++ if it had autosampling via midi note triggering and audiobus or similar for capture.

Add me on.

• @sonosaurus said:

@JRSIV said:

It is capable of letting you put together multi-sampled multi-velocity instruments BUT it is currently a bit clunky to do so. One of the big TODO items is to re-work that with all of the things you are asking about. But only you can decide if it is worth your time right now....

Thanks for the reply. I messed with it last night and it may take extra time and/or sample import to get it really clean. I join the other guys voting YEP for an IAP addition or separate app that streamlined the process for Thumbjam & even better for @syrupcore's idea of an all purpose instrument sampling utility app.

There is a perceived shallow area in iOS for samples & sampling management but with AudioShare, the use of SF2's with Lyra in Auria Pro and the instrument utility in Cubasis​ it can be done, just takes some time & effort. 30 years ago with razor blades & tape, mixing without automation, comping vocals with internal bounces, etc. that type of time & effort was commonplace and just the way it was.

The double edge of today is the great tech of today makes life in audio so much easier but our attention spans and patience for labor intensive production chores is a lot lower. Just being devils advocate, although I'd love for creating custom sampled instruments to be easier I realize it's doable now, just takes awhile.

Loving your app man, TJ is incredible.

• @supadom said:
    We need a video of this or it will forever stay as one of those 'did this actually happen?" moments ;)

Agreed

'i jusst started playing sum chords"

IF it is as stated, i am stoked

• @syrupcore said:
    @sonosaurus fwiw, I'd be willing to, indeed interested in, paying for a separate app that made creating those sorts of instruments easy/smooth. Particularly if it allowed for export to other apps via some sort of standard file type like sf2, exs, sfz or whatever the kids are using these days. And ++++ if it had autosampling via midi note triggering and audiobus or similar for capture.

++1

• @sonosaurus said:

@JRSIV said:

Realistically I could bring some of my fave alchemy sounds over and put them in TB.

Cool

• @RustiK said:

@supadom said:
    We need a video of this or it will forever stay as one of those 'did this actually happen?" moments ;)

Agreed

I take it further by saying that I don't believe this has been done other than with help of a man wielding a real harmonica/mouth organ.

Being proven wrong comes as a bonus.

• @supadom said:

@RustiK said:

@supadom said:

Agreed

I take it further by saying that I don't believe this has been done other than with help of a man wielding a real harmonica/mouth organ.

Being proven wrong comes as a bonus.

This is straying off topic, but I'm looking at a few of my harmonicas on the table in different scales (C, D, A in 1st position) and when you blow without some embouchure you get a chord. So getting a chord could be as simple as creating 2+ notes sounding at the same time. But we all know it isn't!

In the case of the harmonica you are going to get stronger sounding notes in the center of the airstream and depending on the skill of the player you are going to get leaky notes at the edge of the mouth. Because of the way the harmonica is designed a simple blow or suck will give you the right on pitch notes in scale, even those leaky ones on the side.

As I wrote that out I realized that creating an honest sounding harmonica is not quite as simple as chording a few in scale notes. There is probably some interplay between the notes that creates its usual sound? The individual note itself should be synthesizable, after all it is "just" a vibrating comb of metal, just like many other instruments and a whole lot less complex than guitar, sitar or any other well synthesized IOS instruments.

• As I wrote that out I realized that creating an honest sounding harmonica is not quite as simple as chording a few in scale notes. There is probably some interplay between the notes that creates its usual sound? The individual note itself should be synthesizable, after all it is "just" a vibrating comb of metal, just like many other instruments and a whole lot less complex than guitar, sitar or any other well synthesized IOS instruments.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. LOLOLOLOL 😂😂😂😂😂RONFLMFAO

• Hey, I just want in on this thread, such good vibes...