Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Studiomux with Audiobus 3 and Cubase 9

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some help configuring Audiobus with Studiomux; I previously bought Studiomux and had it working (bugs not withstanding) on my PC, I'm running Win 10 64-bit with Cubase 9 Pro.

I've followed the instruction and have successfully installed Studiomux, it's showing as a MIDI / Audio device in Cubase. I seem to be having problems configuring the iPad (Air 2) to allow 2-way data between Cubase and the iPad, I can see MIDI activity but just can't hear anything, I'm pretty experienced but it does feel pretty complicated.

There 'was' a tutorial on the site previously (for the previous version) that I followed to get me going but it's been removed, also the manual seems hard to follow, and at times the screens don't seem to correspond to what I'm seeing on the iPad.

I have a ton of great VST's as well as some decent hardware, but I'm hoping between Audiobus 3 and Studiomux I'll have an elegant solution to utilising the audio apps on my iPad.

Has anyone else used Studiomux with Audiobus 3 to route data to their DAW? I'm probably missing something obvious :)

If anyone knows of a step-by-step guide or better still a tutorial I'd love to hear from you!

Kind regards,

George Wood

Audiobus 3.0
Studiomux 3.1.0
http://midimux.com/
https://soundcloud.com/george-wood

Comments

• edited April 2017

I'm on win7 x86, latest Studiomux server crashes on launch, I have the previous server installer, but can't downgrade to the previous iOS app, so at the minute, studiomux is completely unusable for me

Edit: a new server is available 3.1.0b , so I'll try that tonight after work

• Hey GSM,

That's disappointing to hear, they just released an updated PC server a few days ago, the x64 version seems pretty stable for me, I just can't get it working - studiomux_x64_310b.exe

I've messaged them directly and on Facebook but haven't heard anything yet, I'm sure they're a small operation so I'm not holding my breath.

It's a shame as it's got the potential to be a great product!

Kind regards,

George Wood

PS now I think about it... maybe it was MusicIO I tried previously, I got it working but it was VERY buggy!

• Studiomux has been updated and seems to have done away with the vst's on my mac making me use an aggregate device to include the ipad making me wonder what the point of studiomux is anymore? Wtf!

Cant get midi to work now the vsts have dissapeared what a mess and the instructions are like a game of cluedo

• Hey Dave,

Oh well, glad it's not just me struggling to make sense io it all.

Regards,

George

• You guys need to give the app Midimittr a try. It's free and in my opinion a lot simpler to use than studiomux and musicIO. Download the app here midimittr by Matthias Frick
    https://appsto.re/us/n_Ek3.i
    The website for the Mac/PC extension is here:
    http://www.s-r-n.de/midile/

• Midimittr has no audio and for PC is not compatible with latest (needed) iTunes version

• studiomux v3.1.0b on the mac installs the plugins for me once again, but now the ios side has a small bug, as app audio continue to be routed to main outs in addition to the studiomux out.

• The site is called midimux the manual is for audiomux....not sure what i am reading or whether im missing something @cblomert

• I can't believe that with all the technological advancements made over the last few years that getting an iPad or iPhone connected to a pc as a musical instrument is such a pain in the neck!

• edited April 2017

I've been working with Studiomux since it exists, and had a great experience with it. No problems at all. Of course I also tried other solutions, but chose Studiomux.

But I haven't installed the new Studiomux server yet, so I can't comment on that right now.

• @Nu2moro said:
    I can't believe that with all the technological advancements made over the last few years that getting an iPad or iPhone connected to a pc as a musical instrument is such a pain in the neck!

It's mainly why I got an iconnectivy ica4+ while it's learning curve is steep once you get it it's amazing.

• @Nu2moro said:
    I can't believe that with all the technological advancements made over the last few years that getting an iPad or iPhone connected to a pc as a musical instrument is such a pain in the neck!

Exactly my sentiments...it's pathetic.
    I'm tired of buying gear with an "i" in front of it to be able to connect to my PC, because some morons at Apple decided to make it nearly impossible.

iConnect midi2+ is useless, because iconnect asks you to download asio4all, to let audio through, which results in conflict- only one sound card possible at a time.
    Tried with Ableton.

So my workaround is Alesis midi hub that lets audio through and I can plug iPad and midi controller in.
    http://www.alesis.com/products/legacy/control-hub

• edited April 2017

@soundklinik Asio4All lets you use multiple soundcards at the same time. The tricky part is if they sync. (Reaper has networking audio allowing using multiple cards the same time ).

@Promedia I tried with Reaper.(win 10_64bit). Double check that you have latest itunes and framework version.
    At first shot I couldn't hear any audio ,although I could see the ports and the correct names inside the VST. Then I checked the firewall and it was allowed only for public networks (not private) so I ticked private too.
    Rebooted, it works (not well when setting 128buffer size in ipad air 2, getting some glitches once in a while )

• @Korakios said:
    @soundklinik Asio4All lets you use multiple soundcards at the same time. The tricky part is if they sync. (Reaper has networking audio allowing using multiple cards the same time ).

Thanx, That is interesting. When I tried, Ableton let me use one sound card only, and it used asio4all, which cut off my RME-9632..
    Running same Windows-10/64.
    What other sound card do you use with your setup?

• @soundklinik said:

@Korakios said:

Thanx, That is interesting. When I tried, Ableton let me use one sound card only, and it used asio4all, which cut off my RME-9632..
    Running same Windows-10/64.
    What other sound card do you use with your setup?

I don't use iConnect midi2+ but you can launch the Asio4All panel thru the hardware setup (In Live's audio settings) and enable (or disable) the listed soundcards.
    Make sure you click the icon on the right/down corner to enable advanced settings. If you are lucky the audio clock between the 2 cards will not drift much ,so you wont get glitches

• @soundklinik said:

@Nu2moro said:

Exactly my sentiments...it's pathetic.
    I'm tired of buying gear with an "i" in front of it to be able to connect to my PC, because some morons at Apple decided to make it nearly impossible.

iConnect midi2+ is useless, because iconnect asks you to download asio4all, to let audio through, which results in conflict- only one sound card possible at a time.
    Tried with Ableton.

So my workaround is Alesis midi hub that lets audio through and I can plug iPad and midi controller in.
    http://www.alesis.com/products/legacy/control-hub

Do you use the Alesis Control Hub to connect the iPad to your PC? If so, how do you do that?

• @musik83 I use it this way: iPad CCK out to Alesis USB in.
    Audio out from Alesis to PC sound card IN. This anables audio out of iPad into PC.

For MIDI, I have a Y midi cable OUT of my midi controller (Edirol PCR) to 1) to Alesis midi in and 2) to sound card midi in.

This enables you to play midi either in iPad or PC or both, only midi channel # decides what goes where.

I use this setup to record audio into Ableton.
    It's not a perfect setup because midi is one way, but it's the only thing that works on PC for me with gear that I already own.
    I can record audio directly from iPad into PC, and maybe I can go PC to iPad but only one way. Never in/out at the same time for audio and midi. Wish I could

• Thank you for your detailed explanation, but I will have to ask you about your Y MIDI cable. Which one do you use? I found this one (https://www.amazon.com/SinLoon-Splitter-Pin-Male-Extension-synthesizer/dp/B01M3RH5GI), but some say that it sends midi to one device at a time. Thanks again.

• You're welcome,
    Yes that is exactly the cable I use.
    On my PCR-300, I can send midi to both sources on the same midi channel with this cable.
    Guaranteed.
    I use it so I can for example play a synth on iPad on ch.-1 and drums on PC on ch.-10.
    I switch to ch.-1 and only app/synth assigned to this channel will play.
    The point is to have different midi channels assigned to different apps or synths so they do not interfere. (Unless you want to double a melody/bass line and record it).
    Look at it this way, the midi controller can send ONLY on one channel. So it is essential that your midi controller has a "pot/knob" to switch instantly between channels, without having to dive into software (like in Novation)

Sorry, don't mean to over explain....

• Thanks for your confirmation. I am trying to have similar setups like yours. I ordered the cables

• @musik83 said:
    Thanks for your confirmation. I am trying to have similar setups like yours. I ordered the cables

Great, :) I use this setup with Ableton PUSH too, works well, because of USB and keyboards play pads and "selected" Push functions can be assigned to PCR (or any controller)

• @Phil999 said:

But I haven't installed the new Studiomux server yet, so I can't comment on that right now.

today I deinstalled the old server (210) and installed the new one (310b) on a Windows 10 machine. It's working perfectly, audio and MIDI. Haven't tested OSC yet. Note that there was another 'new' version (310) out when I wrote the post above, which crashed. Another note, I also had to update rtpMIDI to v.1.1.8.240.

Studiomux is really a fantastic app.

• @Phil999 said:

@Phil999 said:

today I deinstalled the old server (210) and installed the new one (310b) on a Windows 10 machine. It's working perfectly, audio and MIDI. Haven't tested OSC yet. Note that there was another 'new' version (310) out when I wrote the post above, which crashed. Another note, I also had to update rtpMIDI to v.1.1.8.240.

Studiomux is really a fantastic app.

I just removed everything to do with itunes and all virtual midi (rtpmidi, loopback, studiomux etc) stuff on my pc. i just rebooted, installed iTunes and studiomux and it has been solid for the past hour with thumbjam piping in midi. No need for rtpMIDI.

While thumgjam works great I am unable to get KRFT working to PC though but think that may be on KRFTs end? Or is it possible I do need rtpMIDI for it?

• one has to say that there always were a couple of apps that didn't work with Studiomux, and still don't work. Either no audio out, or no MIDI in, or both.

I'm not sure if rtpMIDI is needed. It needs the so-called teVirtualMIDI driver which is installed with rtpMIDI, but it's possible teVirtualMIDI is included in the Studiomux installer. Honestly I don't know because I always have rtpMIDI installed.

• @soundklinik said:
    You're welcome,
    Yes that is exactly the cable I use.
    On my PCR-300, I can send midi to both sources on the same midi channel with this cable.
    Guaranteed.
    I use it so I can for example play a synth on iPad on ch.-1 and drums on PC on ch.-10.
    I switch to ch.-1 and only app/synth assigned to this channel will play.
    The point is to have different midi channels assigned to different apps or synths so they do not interfere. (Unless you want to double a melody/bass line and record it).
    Look at it this way, the midi controller can send ONLY on one channel. So it is essential that your midi controller has a "pot/knob" to switch instantly between channels, without having to dive into software (like in Novation)

Sorry, don't mean to over explain....

@soundklinik said:

@musik83 said:
    Thanks for your confirmation. I am trying to have similar setups like yours. I ordered the cables

Great, :) I use this setup with Ableton PUSH too, works well, because of USB and keyboards play pads and "selected" Push functions can be assigned to PCR (or any controller)

I thought I was being smart by ordering the same looking cable on eBay instead of the one on Amazon. I bought two. http://www.ebay.com/itm/282258839334 It transmitts midi to one device at a time. I should have asked the seller. I bought two cables. Someone said on Amazon that your midi source must have enough power to send midi to two devices at the same time. I think I am going to use a different midi controller to see what happens.