Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

apeSoft Mood

Just got the invite from TestFlight to beta test this new synth from apeSoft. Haven't had a chance to do more than download it and ooh/aah. Anyone messed with this yet? Thoughts?

Comments

• Won't open, crashes on my iPhone 6

• same here doa

• edited April 2017

Good testin folks

• Ok on iPad Air 2. but it seems to have only one preset at the moment. That said, very nice sound

• edited April 2017

Just checked it out. Very simple, which absolutely throws me based on their previous stuff.

Spent 15 minutes with it...at this point I'm a little surprised; very underwhelming and indistinguishable from tens of others on iOS.

• edited April 2017

I just spent an hour or so playing around with it. Here are my thoughts:

Love the sound - the only apeSoft app I own is iVCS3 but I own ALL the Amazing Noises ones and they are all top notch. I like that the interface is essentially a MiniMoog with a few extras. I'm very familiar with both a physical Mini and the various software versions so it makes it easy to get around this app. Everything functions as it should and rather than SOUNDING like a Mini, it has it's own distinct apeSoft/Amazing Noises tone. I think the effects are good - delay has a nice classic ping-pong to it, and the switch between Modern and Vintage reverb is a nice touch. Having a built in ring mod is awesome - I often use the ring mod as more of a tremolo than an actual ring, but either way this is very useable. The Arp/LFO section is really cool - I could see this getting interesting with the right combinations. The fact that you can choose each Oscillator independently for the Arp is really cool. And with all the apeSoft/Amazing Noises stuff - the ability to put an oscillator on EVERY SINGLE PARAMETER is still their best trick. So on a synth, it just makes sense.

Having said that I agree that it all seems very... standard. I'm struggling to see exactly what makes it apeSoft other than the name. The rest of their apps are all so wacky, and frankly that's the appeal. Their ability to go from playing nice to straight up destroying the sound is why I've bought them all (though to be honest, I'm still trying to figure out how to make some of them musical, but this is more my own limitation than the apps').

Why in this day and age would you not put a Mono/Poly switch on it? It's only SW, so can't you just code that in? It would make this app a lot more useable beyond being a MiniMoog-ish clone. How do you adjust the range of the pitch bend? How do you map the Mod Wheel to vibrato? I understand that this is a beta version, and therefore there's no documentation or presets to reverse-engineer, so it's just me swinging in the dark. Hopefully there is still some dev left to do here, as opposed to the others I've tested which seemed 99% go when I got my hands on them.

Overall, I still dig it and would be happy to put it in my collection even if it IS just a MiniMoog clone, since iMini sounds great but is incredibly frustrating. I'm not sure what the price point is, but I'd love to hear whatever backstory there is from the apeSoft crew to give us some perspective on this and maybe hint at some of the possibilities.

Anyone else got thoughts?

• I think it is really great, enough of a tribute to be familiar, but really iOS friendly
    Works well for me and sounds great.

• @dvlmusic You said exactly what I felt playing around with it. Very well-put, all of it. I kept waiting to discover...something else, as apesoft usually provides.

• edited April 2017

Definitely, TickleT - it IS very iOS friendly and it's nice to see someone do the MiniMoog right. I certainly don't want to come off as complaining, but i do own WAY too many iPad synths, so I'm just hoping that there's something I'm missing here to set this apart from the others a bit more.

Come to think of it - I didn't really get to play with the sample player aspect of it (mapped to oscillator 1). That would add an interesting dimension to it. If you recorded a note from another synth (say Model 15 or something), exported it as a sample and imported it there, you could get something akin to Animoog - using a sample based backdrop to morph the sound.

I messed with the FM bit (oscillator 2), but haven't figured that out 100% either. I know there's potential there as well just need to keep farting around.

There's more here than meets the eye, but I'm still seeing the MiniMoog and not the Autobot, y'know?

:wink:

• just talked to the dev. it's not available on the iphone yet but somehow it's showing up as universal.

• Having the usual Apesoft LFOs attached easily is nice. The layout seems decent for my first play. Getting to know it at the moment.

• I'm sadly not on beta for this but if it allows easy import of samples (not a fan of audiocopy.app) for use as one of the oscillators and another basic waveforms for ring-modulation, audio-rate modulation and the typical modulation options from the other apesoft/amazingnoises apps and on top of that works as AUv3 I'll just say 'take my money already' :D

Does anyone know when it's 'done' and due for a release?

And those doing beta, push for a polyphony switch if it's 'mono' a the moment...

• The FM section is really cool. I'm starting to get a feel for it as a whole. I think this will be an insta buy.

The major downside I see is no AU as yet.

• wowwwww another masterpiece synth to sit beside the m15 and vcs3, thank you apesoft!

• Great sounding Synth! Wow :)

• I'm liking this one and I think there's more here than initially meets the eye. Does anyone know exactly how you use a sample within the synth after you've loaded the sample?

• @skiphunt said:
    I'm liking this one and I think there's more here than initially meets the eye. Does anyone know exactly how you use a sample within the synth after you've loaded the sample?

It is some kind of gated texture.it is always playing and when you press a note it goes through the vca stage. Not much you can do right now

• @mschenkel.it said:

@skiphunt said:
    I'm liking this one and I think there's more here than initially meets the eye. Does anyone know exactly how you use a sample within the synth after you've loaded the sample?

It is some kind of gated texture.it is always playing and when you press a note it goes through the vca stage. Not much you can do right now

Ah.. OK. Thanks

• I played around with the sample a bit, but not too much. I'm thinking that I could share to Audiocopy the ones from Moebius Lab or one of the other Amazing Noises apps and then import them into Mood...

I really dig the sound. Despite my comments, I would definitely find use for a straightforward synth with the standard features. I love iVCS3 but I find it difficult to make anything musical out of it - I really use it to make space noises.

This sorta fell out of the sky - anyone speak to the dev team about the history here?

• edited April 2017

I spent some more time with it just now, especially with the FM and sample section. The latter did nothing for me (although I just used a couple of the quickest samples I could find) but the FM section brings some real timbral weirdness to the mix, the type of weirdness associated with ApeSoft.

Like it much more than initially, but that's because going in I expected something way more out there and novel from ApeSoft. Getting past that though, there's a quality, usable synth here, if somewhat basic. The sound quality of the oscillators doesn't blow me away, but it's still pretty good. I'll buy it when it comes out, but mostly out of loyal support.

• edited April 2017

@skiphunt said:

After you load a sample, make sure to go to the mixer and flick the switch by level input to on (red), then turn the level input up. Double tap on the waveform button below the power switch to edit your sample (trim, ratio speed, etc).

• @oat_phipps said:

@skiphunt said:

After you load a sample, make sure to go to the mixer and flick the switch by level input to on (red), then turn the level input up. Double tap on the waveform button below the power switch to edit your sample (trim, ratio speed, etc).

Thanks. I pretty much got that part, but was asking more about how it's supposed to interact with the synth part. The sample doesn't appear to do anything other than play when keys are played. No change to sample pitch and I don't see how or if if modulates with the oscillators or anything else. Just triggers the sample to play on hitting keyss. Is that it? Or, are there other ways the sample can interact with the synth that I'm missing?

• Also beta testing, I think the idea is to create banks and save your tweaks, manual is empty, to do later.
    @Samu , import is also with AS as in all their apps. Simple.

There is an arpeggiator, lots of buttons but so far I didn't manage any great breath taking sounds...

• @soundklinik said:
    Also beta testing, I think the idea is to create banks and save your tweaks, manual is empty, to do later.
    @Samu , import is also with AS as in all their apps. Simple.

There is an arpeggiator, lots of buttons but so far I didn't manage any great breath taking sounds...

Cool!
    Does it do proper PWM too?(I'm almost as bad of a PWM addict as a certain Sonicstate person).

I've only seen one screenshot on Twitter so far and it doesn't reveal that much, but the ramp-wave on the third oscillator can go in the opposite direction of the other two so if the oscillators are 'phase-locked' PWM could be 'faked' as Up & Down ramps 'cancel each other out', but if one is slightly 'detuned' it will create a 'pulse wave' and the detune will sweep the 'width'. For control of the pulse-width it would be enough to control the start-phase of the ramp oscillator.

Maybe I should be 'thankful' that I'm only beta-testing one app at the moment :D

• edited April 2017

I agree, the extra FM section (including two envelope generators) is a nice addition. Next to normal FM. Normal FM can be set with the VCO3->VCO1+2 button and VCO3->VCF button, together with the MOD-> knob next to the BEND knob (in case you haven't found it yet, I had to search a while until I found it).
    When you set VCO3 frequency to SUB and modulate VCO1+2 and/or VCF, VCO3's fine frequency knob has no effect. I'm not sure if this is intended or a bug. But it doesn't matter actually, because Mood has extra LFO's with lots of parameters for each VCO for vibrato, and VCO3 is better used as audio source anyway, or audio rate FM source. The SUB setting is not needed in my opinion.

All in all a very good synth with a vast palette of sounds thanks to its versatile modulations. You never run out of LFO's and envelopes. I often use audio rate FM, and Mood does it well.

• I've been enjoying Layr for the long, evolving pad thing and I could see Mood being excellent at the evolving tone thing, especially with all the oscillators all over the place. Still would like to see polyphony as that would make this monstrous, but the more I mess with it the more I REALLY like the tone of it. The style is very Moog-ish but the sound is not. Hopefully later today I can mock up a patch I love in iMini and see how they compare side by side...

• edited April 2017

cough, yah err ahh, why you guys talking about this? cough err yah... (whistles, walks away, speeds into run, trips, dies on poodle)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2017

Sitting here thinking:
    "I wonder why they are talking openly about an app in Beta. Did the devs want them to speak publicly about it? Seems a little strange that they'd be okay with this."

And now thinking,
    "This sounds cool...wonder when it's going to be released."
    ;)