Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How is Audiobus 3 different from AUM?

Comments

• @wim said:
    App switching and all the transport controls on AB3 kick ass. I hate that constant distraction of how I need to switch back and forth between apps. Sometimes you get an IAA switcher in-app, sometimes not, sometimes on only one page of the app. Sometimes when you touch the red "... is recording" bar, you land in the host app, and sometimes you land in an IAA app that is being hosted. Sometimes you have to find your way back to the host and then to the AU. It just bugs the hell out of me coming from the DAW/VST world where it was all so simple.

AB3's app switcher is brilliant. AB Remote is brilliant (or will be again when it supports AB3 better). AB3 Midi stuff has great potential, but needs MIDI sending apps to get on board. AB3 global transport is brilliant. ...

AUM has a great mixer, really great midi routing without app makers having to do anything special. AUM global transport doesn't always work all that well due to app makers not being consistent in how they implement MIDI, not through any fault of @j_liljedahl. Love the file player! Love the MIDI mapping for AU parameters. Love the recording. Love the routing, love love love love.

I always wanted to host everything in AB, and then have AUM (or Cubasis or Auria Pro) in the output. With AU support I can do that! .... but sadly not as effectively as I'd like until more MIDI sequencers that I like, such as ModStep and Infinite Looper, have AB3 compatibility.

AB and AUM have always been like my right and left arms in my setup. I wouldn't give up either, and now I just feel like somebody just pumped them up with steroids.

I'm a happy camper. B)

This! ^^

• To be honest I'd like to see AudioBus slowly evolve into a DAW with integrated MIDI sequencer. They seem to care most about iOS musicians and I'm sure they could be the best DAW

• I loaded up a couple of synths and a drum machine, hit play and they all played together. That's all I've been looking for. B)

• @realdavidai said:
    To be honest I'd like to see AudioBus slowly evolve into a DAW with integrated MIDI sequencer. They seem to care most about iOS musicians and I'm sure they could be the best DAW

I'm sure the Audiobus team could make a fine DAW if they decided to, I wouldn't want to see it come at the expense of displacing Audiobus.

• @InfoCheck said:

@realdavidai said:
    To be honest I'd like to see AudioBus slowly evolve into a DAW with integrated MIDI sequencer. They seem to care most about iOS musicians and I'm sure they could be the best DAW

I'm sure the Audiobus team could make a fine DAW if they decided to, I wouldn't want to see it come at the expense of displacing Audiobus.

Just a small little tab at the bottom called 'sequencer' :D

In all seriousness though, it's farfetched so I'm not expecting it

• @dokwok2 said:
    http://musicappblog.com/audiobus-3-review/ comments on this question.

This is spot on.

• @realdavidai said:

@InfoCheck said:

@realdavidai said:

Never expect the spanish inquisition.

• Our weapons are fear and surprise

• @Sebastian said:

@realdavidai said:

@InfoCheck said:

@realdavidai said:

Never expect the spanish inquisition.

Please! Please! Please! Please!!!!!!!

• @Munibeast said:
    Our weapons are fear and surprise

And ruthless efficiency

• Okay, you seem to be the guys I’ve been looking for :)
    My touring stage setup is itrack dock wth softstep 2 and I’m wanting to start using AltiSpace and Kosmonaut as they are so much better than the delays and verbs in Bias.
    So far, Using AUM I have Bias FX and two sends on one channel then a channel each for delay and reverb. How can I add Loopy to this using AB3?

• @g-banjo said:
    Okay, you seem to be the guys I’ve been looking for :)
    My touring stage setup is itrack dock wth softstep 2 and I’m wanting to start using AltiSpace and Kosmonaut as they are so much better than the delays and verbs in Bias.
    So far, Using AUM I have Bias FX and two sends on one channel then a channel each for delay and reverb. How can I add Loopy to this using AB3?

Use AB3 as the master host. Set Bias as the first channel input then output to Loopy. On the next channel set Loopy as the input then output to AUM. Do all your AUv3 effects, sends and mixing in AUM. Best part is, saving a session in AB3 will recall Loopy and AUM states so you don’t need to save elsewhere.

• tjatja
    edited July 2018

@soundshaper said:

@g-banjo said:

Use AB3 as the master host. Set Bias as the first channel input then output to Loopy. On the next channel set Loopy as the input then output to AUM. Do all your AUv3 effects, sends and mixing in AUM. Best part is, saving a session in AB3 will recall Loopy and AUM states so you don’t need to save elsewhere.

This routing Audio to Loopy in AudioBus and then using Loopy as Audio Sender into AUM, made me curious. I never came to the idea to use an App both as Audio Receiver and Audio Sender in AudioBus:

Works.

What I cannot get my head around is, why would you do this?
    What role plays Loopy in this setup?

Sending Audio finally to AUM and using effects there, you would surely also record in AUM.
    Or?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @tja said:

@soundshaper said:

@g-banjo said:

This routing Audio to Loopy in AudioBus and then using Loopy as Audio Sender into AUM, made me curious. I never came to the idea to use an App both as Audio Receiver and Audio Sender in AudioBus:

Works.

What I cannot get my head around is, why would you do this?
    What role plays Loopy in this setup?

Sending Audio finally to AUM and using effects there, you would surely also record in AUM.
    Or?

Yeah, you could just add those effects in Audiobus, I would think.
    AUM has easier routing, plus easier midi setup, if you needed those.
    The OP was describing a ‘live’ setup. In that case, I would use the least amount of apps possible, so no AUM, just add FX in Audiobus.

Or maybe add apeMatrix, too, and get really tangled up in Virtual Spaghetti. :p

• edited July 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:
    there is a pink elephant in the room no one is talking about >:)
    latency compensation
    AUM and AB dont do this

How to check that? :)

• edited July 2018
  • @Max23 said:
    latency compensation
    AUM and AB dont do this

AUM does do latency compensation.

• edited July 2018
  • edited July 2018

@Max23 said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Max23 said:
    latency compensation
    AUM and AB dont do this

oh, it does?
    does it work?
    B)

I’m not sure 🤔 how sample accurate it is but AUM does do latency compensation.

• @Max23 said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Max23 said:
    latency compensation
    AUM and AB dont do this

oh, it does?
    does it work?
    B)

my main tool is ab
    so I compensat with
    a) use same fx everywhere
    b) no fx at all - do everything in the instruments

In scenario A, are you adding the same FX to all tracks, but only processing on the tracks that require it, and the other tracks have the FX in a pass-thru type of setup to just add matching latency?

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Harro said:
    AUM looks much better then AB3.

I f_ _ ked alot of models and strippers but didn't marry one.

🤦🏻‍♀️

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:

@CracklePot said:

@Max23 said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Max23 said:
    latency compensation
    AUM and AB dont do this

oh, it does?
    does it work?
    B)

my main tool is ab
    so I compensat with
    a) use same fx everywhere
    b) no fx at all - do everything in the instruments

In scenario A, are you adding the same FX to all tracks, but only processing on the tracks that require it, and the other tracks have the FX in a pass-thru type of setup to just add matching latency?

thats an interesting question
    Im not sure how bypass is actually handled in ab

so most of the time I just add the same au on everything
    if it has a dry wet just keep it at 1% wet if fx is unwanted on track as bypass may be handled different in different fx

Yes, that is more of what I meant. Like the FX is active, but minimal to zero actual processing, 100% dry. Just pass thru to add latency.
    Pretty genius solution, @Max23. I dig it. :)

• @Max23 said:
    latency compensation
    AUM and AB dont do this

AUM does latency compensation, both for latency added by effects, and for hardware round-trip latency when recording live audio.

Of course, the effect must report its latency to the host, otherwise the host can't compensate for it. For AUv3 there's an API for that. For IAA, there's not, but I invented my own: http://lijon.github.io/iaa_latency_comp.html

• edited July 2018
  • yes, it can be tricky...
    Recently I recorded a guitar connected to an iCA4+ on 2 iPads (each running a different version of JamUp) simultanously in AUM with hardware latency compensation on.
    The tracks were 3ms off, maybe one JamUp was set to low latency, the other to normal, possibly different IOS versions (don't remember).

As @j_liljedahl mentioned: if something isn't reported, it can't be handled.
    In this very simple example you can at least check with reasonable effort - but things may grow quickly with complexity.

• If I had AUM, could I use the staff editor in Notion and route it’s info to synths in other apps? It vexes me that neither Auria Pro nor Cubasis features even a basic staff editor. I find I putting notes on a grid to be overly cumbersome. If AUM enabled me to do just this one thing it’d be worth the price to me.