Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SUN VOX: Unwrapping the mysteries..............

Tell me about how you use this app or the cool things you have been able to do with it?

I am starting to get more into it and it intrigues me in a different type of way.

That is to come.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comments

• If I recall the locals here insist it is pronounced "S_nV_x".

• I don't get it, I can't figure out what to do with it.

• YouTube would be the best way to go about this, imo. They're mostly non-iOS, but there are many and the concepts are the same.

• @High5denied said:
    I don't get it, I can't figure out what to do with it.

Seriously?

Or is that a half heart attempt at sarcasm?

• Modular Synth + Tracker = SunVox

SunVox is math. Music is math. Turquoise Hexagon Sun.

• @1P18 said:
    Modular Synth + Tracker = SunVox

SunVox is math. Music is math. Turquoise Hexagon Sun.

Thank you

Albeit every ting' is dem numeros..........

• @RustiK said:

@High5denied said:

Seriously?

Or is that a half heart attempt at sarcasm?

no, when I'm sarcastic, it really shines ;).

I've had it for years, and I don't have a clue what to do with it. Granted I haven't dug in real deep, watched some tutorials, but it hasn't sunk in.

• edited April 2017

My latest route into SunVox has been using PixiTracker- the last update to PixiTracker included a easy method to export its projects as .xm files into SunVox (using the wifi export, which works all-indevice, just aim your browser at the address activated inside PixiTracker and you get "open in Sunvox")

The song mode in PixiTracker is exceedingly straightforward and accessible, simpler even than the other, fabulous, horizontal tracker iSequence.

PixiTracker loads all your .wav, including very lengthy files. And these .wav are exported into SunVox within the .xm file, along with per event info like velocity. Once inside SunVox add synths, fx and other tracks to taste.

It's a step further than simply importing midi files into SunVox (which it does seemlessly, and is another way into working with the app) in that building tracks and songs in PixiTracker is incredibly direct, and having the samples import really gets things rolling quickly.

• These tutorials helped demystify quite a bit and conceptually simplify the overall structure of S_nV_x. (I really believe that a good amount of the Daunting is due to the UI / background).

S_nV_x can be (for example and by no means limited to) a truly nuanced drum machine should you connect with Tracker style input.

• To illustrate how difficult I find it to make sense of sunvox , different drummer is like a walk in the park in comparison .

• Initially I found the dreadful user interface not only put me off but stopped me entirely. Now I've got a bit further I don't really see any user interface at all - just the stuff I'm doing.

• @u0421793 said:
    Initially I found the dreadful user interface not only put me off but stopped me entirely. Now I've got a bit further I don't really see any user interface at all - just the stuff I'm doing.

You put the words to it. There's zero consideration to anything except utility. No one talks about the GUI, or UX of a hammer...

• I like to open it up, fiddle, and pretend it's the cold war again and I'm working on a super secret project.

Seriously though, I did open it up yesterday with an intent to start learning and was very impressed with the sounds.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@u0421793 said:
    Initially I found the dreadful user interface not only put me off but stopped me entirely. Now I've got a bit further I don't really see any user interface at all - just the stuff I'm doing.

You put the words to it. There's zero consideration to anything except utility. No one talks about the GUI, or UX of a hammer...

...but everything looks like a nail etc.

• More seriously, I think the UI is a big part of the game and along with, perhaps, an affinity for trackers. Just doesn't make it across the border of the small country that is my head and how it likes to see things/do things, but I respect it all the same because it really floats the boat of some if not all.

• I found it was easiest to learn to use it on the Linux version. Having a keyboard really seemed to help me.

• edited April 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    More seriously, I think the UI is a big part of the game and along with, perhaps, an affinity for trackers. Just doesn't make it across the border of the small country that is my head and how it likes to see things/do things, but I respect it all the same because it really floats the boat of some if not all.

Right you are, UI is a big part of the game. And as enamored as I am of this particular hammer, I'll admit that having a new UI added, (a front door to SunVox workflow in the form of PIxiTrackers .xm export to SunVox) really invigorated my production inside SunVox. That PixiTracker workflow is very much like the beloved iSequence's definitely didn't hurt. Getting a project started in SunVox became both more direct and more likely that it had been in a while. Also put me one step closer to shooting a tutorial on "how to make a song in SunVox without actually tracking at all"

• @Littlewoodg said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    More seriously, I think the UI is a big part of the game and along with, perhaps, an affinity for trackers. Just doesn't make it across the border of the small country that is my head and how it likes to see things/do things, but I respect it all the same because it really floats the boat of some if not all.

Right you are, UI is a big part of the game. And as enamored as I am of this particular hammer, I'll admit that having a new UI added, (a front door to SunVox workflow in the form of PIxiTrackers .xm export to SunVox) really invigorated my production inside SunVox. That PixiTracker workflow is very much like the beloved iSequence's definitely didn't hurt. Getting a project started in SunVox became both more direct and more likely that it had been in a while. Also put me one step closer to shooting a tutorial on "how to make a song in SunVox without actually tracking at all"

This tutorial must be made

• How does the PixiTracker to SunVox export work? Can you export an entire song? If so, how does it show up in SunVox?

• edited April 2017

@1P18 said:
    How does the PixiTracker to SunVox export work? Can you export an entire song? If so, how does it show up in SunVox?

Export and name song as .xm in PixiTracker. Then, export to wifi. Navigate to newly saved .xm file. Go to Safari on your iOS device and enter the 192... URL. You'll see your new .xm file. You can then "open in" SunVox. It opens as a completed tracker with all your sounds connected to an output and ready to play or further edit in SunVox. Make sure you save the newly imported .xm file as a project in SunVox because it doesn't happen automatically upon import.

• edited April 2017

@High5denied said:

As I remember it, you are primarily a guitarist? If so, one way you can treat unVo is like a bunch of guitar/effects pedals. If you download this file into Su_Vo_, make sure to save it from Sun_o_ and then add it as an effect in AudioBus. after that you can plug a sound source in to the AB input slot and play around with the settings on this very simple patch.
    I have muted the input module so that you don't get blasted with feedback when you first load this in. I will leave how to unmute as the first learning exercise. By the way, tap on each module (the boxes with lines between are the modules) to reveal the settings.

How do we attach a Su_V_x file in the forum? Do I have to zip it?

For now, here's a picture to show how you would wire up a simple patch with input distortion and out put:

• I have a stupid question :) How do I scroll the list of module parameters at the left? I tried everything and it just keeps changing the parameter value instead of scrolling down, and I can't access the bottom part of the list that's not visible.

I know I can tap V at the top to make the list more compact but it also makes it more confusing

• @yug said:
    I have a stupid question :) How do I scroll the list of module parameters at the left? I tried everything and it just keeps changing the parameter value instead of scrolling down, and I can't access the bottom part of the list that's not visible.

I know I can tap V at the top to make the list more compact but it also makes it more confusing

Don't know if you can scroll it, but you can grab the vertical bar on the right of the parameters and drag it up to make the window larger

• @jn2002dk said:

@yug said:
    I have a stupid question :) How do I scroll the list of module parameters at the left? I tried everything and it just keeps changing the parameter value instead of scrolling down, and I can't access the bottom part of the list that's not visible.

Don't know if you can scroll it, but you can grab the vertical bar on the right of the parameters and drag it up to make the window larger

Yeah, I know but, unfortunately, it's still not large enough

• @yug said:

@jn2002dk said:

@yug said:

Push the bar up as well as to the side.

• @Jocphone said:

@High5denied said:

As I remember it, you are primarily a guitarist? If so, one way you can treat unVo is like a bunch of guitar/effects pedals. If you download this file into Su_Vo_, make sure to save it from Sun_o_ and then add it as an effect in AudioBus. after that you can plug a sound source in to the AB input slot and play around with the settings on this very simple patch.
    I have muted the input module so that you don't get blasted with feedback when you first load this in. I will leave how to unmute as the first learning exercise. By the way, tap on each module (the boxes with lines between are the modules) to reveal the settings.

How do we attach a Su_V_x file in the forum? Do I have to zip it?

For now, here's a picture to show how you would wire up a simple patch with input distortion and out put:

Hey! Thanks for this. I think I actually kinda understand what to do with this. lol........

• @High5denied said:

@Jocphone said:

@High5denied said:

Hey! Thanks for this. I think I actually kinda understand what to do with this. lol........

Cool, after you get that working you can click on the hamburger just above and to the right of the distortion module and select 'Replace'. Try the other modules. Echo, Tremolo, Flanger will be familiar to you. When you get tired of this try to insert another module before or after the distortion one. Before you know it you're flying with Su___x!

• In terms of UI sizing, its also worth looking at the scale settings (Preferences/Interface/Scale)...you can rescale buttons and labels...

• @u0421793 said:

@yug said:

@jn2002dk said:

@yug said:

This is the problem right here in a nutshell.

• @db909 said:

@u0421793 said:

@yug said:

@jn2002dk said:

@yug said:

This is the problem right here in a nutshell.

And the solution. Just because a UI tries something different, doesn't make it bad.