Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Appsale Audulus 3 now $19.99

edited February 2017 in General App Discussion

Audulus 3 from $29.99 now $19.99
Nice if you're looking for another modular synth :)

Comments

• edited February 2017

I snagged mine at $14.99. It's worth it even at full price, so $19.99 is a great deal, and it's not subscription-based if you're looking for a fully modular environment and to have an extra $5 for Starbucks. :P

• LOOKS TOO HARD NURSE.....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    LOOKS TOO HARD NURSE.....

I bought it just so I could show it off to other people, haven't used it at all.

• I just got totally pissed off with things moving when they shouldn't, so I stopped using it.

• I love it

• Oh I do, too, but only in theory now, not in actual use. It got to the stage quite early in where I was swearing at it almost constantly and continually, and so many times nearly punched a hole through the iPad 2's glass. The app's capabilities are ideal, otherwise, and it's certainly not lacking.

• Tempting. But if I add this to vcs3 and Zmors modular I'll need more lifes and definitely more than 24h per day

• @u0421793 said:
    Oh I do, too, but only in theory now, not in actual use. It got to the stage quite early in where I was swearing at it almost constantly and continually, and so many times nearly punched a hole through the iPad 2's glass. The app's capabilities are ideal, otherwise, and it's certainly not lacking.

It used to bother me. But with 3 (and particular some of the recent releases) the interface is now really rather good.

• I grabbed v2 ages ago and still have it installed but to be honest I don't have the motivation to dive that deep at the moment so will probably pass on v3 even at sale prices.

It's one of those "open it up, modify the presets, think 'that's cool', close, get on with music making" apps for me right now. I like that it exists and admire the developer but if I'm not using v2 then ...

• edited February 2017

It's a lovely thing, but I haven't got the time to spare building something unique and wonderful from scratch, so...

Definitely worth the money if you have time to learn, but as a 'tweak and play' kinda guy I'd say I'm disappointed by the amount of examples, and so it's not something I've really used.

I think a healthy selection of preset pre-built synths would open this up to more users, rather than more updates in the UI or functionality.

• One thing, though - it's certainly cheaper and healthier than having a eurorack addiction.

• And we need midi out for Audulus and a social cloud for sharing and download presets ( like the swap meet in Analogkit). Everybody said that Analogkit is abandonware but for me it's still the best and easiest modular app (with ZMors ). ****OPS****,the new app, was shown as an easy and intuitive way for modular synthesis but actually it's the hardest of the AppStore imho.

• @grego68 - we're working on a new file format that will greatly reduce the file size for Audulus patches. The current built-in library is like 23mb and this new file format would get the whole thing down to less than 1mb. Then, we're going to let you host your patches on an amazon cloud server (for free), and to share them, you'll be able to tweet or FB or share a link that people can follow - it will then automatically download and open up in Audulus! :)

Right now we're working on arbitrary audio I/O, so you can send CV to your eurorack synths through your modular - take this for example:

Once that's done, MIDI out is next on the to-do list.

@u0421793 - you know there's a lock mode right? it's the little lock icon. it will make everything stick in place and you can navigate around the patch and turn knobs and push buttons but things won't move when you don't want them to. Don't use it with an iPad 2 though, that's too old to run v3. :)

• Hi @Audulus_Mark
    I've been meaning to write you guys an email but since you are here I'll ask here.

I like Audulus a lot, use it to study sound synthesis and make some cool synths. At this stage, I use only the basic building blocks and I wonder if you guys can implement hiding everything but the basic modules? Something like a Show/Hide button would be awesome. When I need something from the vast module library, it will be one tap away.

I ask because I (and I believe I'm not the only one) have an older device that is not very fast. Though it's fast enough to run patches that are not complex, and actually it's all I need. But every time I tap "Create" and it starts loading the whole library, Audulus becomes unresponsive for several seconds and sometimes crashes.

Probably, I should have bought the PC version instead for my laptop but it's too late. Well, I also have the Mac version I'm running on my desktop mac, so at least I can enjoy using that one. Btw. are you guys planning to make a VST plugin for us Mac/Cubase users?

• @yug - that has to do with the not-so-good 3rd party screenshot rendering that someone wrote for us. That's going to be optimized in the future so it won't do that every time.

And yes, I think a VST is a must since I read somewhere that AU's don't do MIDI out...

• @Audulus_Mark bought at the last sale. Got as far as very basic and hit brick wall. Watched all your tutorial videos, but they stopped abruptly and never seemed to pick up again. I subscribed to your YT channel and haven't seen anything new. Are there any more demos and tutorials coming? I'd really like to crack this one, but got stuck and never picked it up again. Seems you were also talking about a manual too. Is that done and somewhere I can download now?

• @skiphunt - I paused making youtube videos to upgrade the documentation. It used to be about 10 pages, and now I'm 1/3 way through and it's 100. It will be a really solid starting point to understand all the nodes and give examples of what you can do with each.

You can read this basic tutorial I'm working on right now here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YBZgWX82pFC6eRuQ4jFRRjPWgaeQC6fQaLtT2MUGlHc/edit?usp=sharing

That will replace the landing page you hit when you go to www.docs.audulus.com

The other stuff I hope to have out before Moogfest!

That said, if there's anything I can help you with in particular, I will - it helps if you tell me what you're interested in building - a type of bass synth, a sequencer, a pad, an effect?

• edited March 2017

@Audulus_Mark said:
    @skiphunt - I paused making youtube videos to upgrade the documentation. It used to be about 10 pages, and now I'm 1/3 way through and it's 100. It will be a really solid starting point to understand all the nodes and give examples of what you can do with each.

You can read this basic tutorial I'm working on right now here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YBZgWX82pFC6eRuQ4jFRRjPWgaeQC6fQaLtT2MUGlHc/edit?usp=sharing

That will replace the landing page you hit when you go to www.docs.audulus.com

The other stuff I hope to have out before Moogfest!

That said, if there's anything I can help you with in particular, I will - it helps if you tell me what you're interested in building - a type of bass synth, a sequencer, a pad, an effect?

I think mostly interested in pads and effects. My original interest was that I could take field recordings I'd made, then basically design my own weird effects and/or ways to sculpt the sound, etc. to have more control over absolutely customizing the sound without having to know how to code.

Lots of great apps out there already, and I own a bunch of them too. However, the original attraction to Audulus 3 for me was the prospect of not having to rely on pre-fab filters, presets, etc. that others had created. I thought Audulus might help me better understand the nature of the sound and give me the tools to build things to custom shape it.

That might be outside of the possible scope of the app and/or my current level of understanding... but that's where I was coming from when I bought it.

• @skiphunt - I'm learning about filters myself right now. It's definitely above my paygrade - check this out: https://www.native-instruments.com/fileadmin/ni_media/downloads/pdf/VAFilterDesign_1.1.1.pdf

Looks like I'll have to learn a little calculus, lol!

It's definitely easy to make "weird effects" though you'd have to be more specific about what kind of weird effects you want to do. There's ways where you can apply an effect to just the positive portion of a wave and a different effect to the negative portion. There's time stretching and filtering and delay effects...list goes on.

• edited March 2017

@Audulus_Mark said:
    @skiphunt - I'm learning about filters myself right now. It's definitely above my paygrade - check this out: https://www.native-instruments.com/fileadmin/ni_media/downloads/pdf/VAFilterDesign_1.1.1.pdf

Looks like I'll have to learn a little calculus, lol!

It's definitely easy to make "weird effects" though you'd have to be more specific about what kind of weird effects you want to do. There's ways where you can apply an effect to just the positive portion of a wave and a different effect to the negative portion. There's time stretching and filtering and delay effects...list goes on.

Ok. Well, with that link and your response... it's clear this is all still too far beyond my own "paygrade".

However, the more I mess around with other modulars, and the more complex sound apps out there, the more the building blocks start making a little more sense.

Perhaps I'll revisit this somewhere down the trail when I've evolved a bit more. ;)

• @skiphunt - sounds good! Feel free to email me at [email protected] with any questions you have about Audulus or modulars in general for that matter :) Same goes for anyone else reading this!

• How long sale last? Saving every penny for AB3and KFRT!

• @MusicMan4Christ - not sure, that's Taylor's doing! :)

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    How long sale last? Saving every penny for AB3and KFRT!

Saving for KRFT? I thought you already owned that one? You must own it, because I see you've reviewed it in the app store. Did they announce another version of it coming out or something?

• @skiphunt said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

Saving for KRFT? I thought you already owned that one? You must own it, because I see you've reviewed it in the app store. Did they announce another version of it coming out or something?

Interesting people reading reviews in the app store of fellow audio-busser ;)

• Saving for IAP midi KRFT and AB3 with all the trimmings :) <3

• edited March 2017

@mannix said:

@skiphunt said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

Interesting people reading reviews in the app store of fellow audio-busser ;)

Nah, I don't really give a flip. I just went to the KRFT app page in the store to see if there was any mention of a new app or IAP. Just happened to notice his review close to the top.

• @Audulus_Mark said:
    @yug - that has to do with the not-so-good 3rd party screenshot rendering that someone wrote for us. That's going to be optimized in the future so it won't do that every time.

It's been more than a year since the launch of version 3, so to be honest I'm kinda tired of waiting.Well, I'll probably upgrade my device sooner than this thing gets fixed and hopefully get some use of it before version 4 is released.

I just reinstalled Audulus, and either I'm stupid or something's wrong because there's no option to create a new patch. I remember there was a top menu with several buttons for creating a new patch, changing settings, etc. All I have now is a search field and a toggle for changing the sort order.

• @yug - I'm sorry you're tired of waiting. We know it's slow and want to make something better. There's a mountain of work to do before that happens though.

There's a known bug right now on iOS 9 that makes the new patch bar disappear. Are you on iOS 9? Upgrading to iOS 10 fixes this. We have a more pressing bug that we've been tracking down in the meantime: http://forum.audulus.com/discussion/1267/bug-bounty-solve-this-get-free-audulus-upgrades-for-life#Item_1

but once that's done, we'll fix that bug.