Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Was Thumbjam made by god?

Jesse.really sorry to shine the light,but TJ is an amazing app.it's hidden depths were again revealed last week.
For one of the oldest music apps out there,it's stood the test of time

just wanted to say thanks...and are you planning on making any thing else?

NB...only has 15 reviews in the App Store!

Edit...(current version:))

Comments

• One of 'em.

• edited November 2013

Dude… something else?

Tonal Energy is the best tuning app on the entire appstore! If you ever wonder if a certain synth is playing in tune, or you have a certain tuning in mind, verify it through audiobus with TE!

Heh… just kidding though about not wanting something else, I want something else from this dev too!

• Perhaps an update to TJ? That is long overdue, I think ;)

DrumJam update is almost ready, incidentally. Not all of the items from the wish list made it in this time...

• Still one of the very best iOS synths.

• I'll never forget the day when I was using my first IPod touch and read that Jordan Rudess made some presets for this new app called Thumbjam.......downloaded it immediately and stayed up all night shredding away! And now about 100 music apps later I still love Thumjam! Looking forward to the new update!

• Tj covers most bases already.
    I'd be happy with whatever comes next.

• @sonosaurus Someone forgot to tell me I was on the payroll. A disgruntled user who more or less accused me, crabjuice, and unnamed others in an App Store review of being employee shills trying to boost the company's ratings with self serving five star reviews. I'm not employed by the makers of any software company and gave a good review for an app I find very useful and enjoyable.

Is there a specific way to report this slanderous behavior to Apple?

• One of the reasons Thumbjam feels divinely inspired:

Thumbjam supports converting the white keys played on your MIDI keyboard to whatever scale it currently has selected. Way more intuitive to play than it sounds. I always have a hard time playing the same thing twice on the Thumbjam screen (hitting the wrong notes a lot) but it's easy with an external keyboard.

Thumbjam also supports MIDI THRU. What it means is that you can control any app with virtual MIDI from your external keyboard with the white keys mapped to whatever scale TJ has selected. If you haven't tried this, do!

@sonosaurus Even though TJ already has support for this, I'd pay a buck to have it separated into its own low resource app. Perhaps that and the audio-to-midi stuff would make a nice little midi utility app?

• @syrupcore
    How do you set up that thing with the scales in an external midi controller? I didnt know that!

• Turn on Input Scale Lock setting in Prefs->MIDI Control. If you want the MIDI thru as well, enable that respective option.

• I don't have a MIDI controller so I've never actually used Input Scale Lock but I remember first discovering that and MIDI thru, and just nodding to myself and thinking "Well Done man, Well Done" :)

Edit: I take that back, I did try Scale Lock once by strumming guitarism into it for hilarious and unexpected results.

• @sonosaurus
    thank you for the quick reply. Your app never stops to surprise me ;)

• I was unaware of the scale lock feature. Sounds great! Time to give that a go.

• @syrupcore
    What 'audio to midi stuff' ??

• Thumbjam can take mic/line input and convert it to MIDI.

• @commonstookie What @PaulB said. Hit the record(ish) looking button on the left, and the very last icon is a mic with musical notation. Hit that and you get audio to midi. If you turn on MIDI THRU in the settings, you can use that to control other IOS synths as well.

Another wonderful feature of thumbjam: it can also record you midi notes to midi files when you create loops. Something I wish Loopy did so I can go tweak my shoddy playing later. I haven't really used the looper since getting deep into Loopy but it's pretty full featured and I used to open the midi files in NanoStudio regularly.

Honestly, I can't really imagine what a Thumbjam update would entail. It pretty much does it all! If anything a reimagining of the UI with a few hard core UX friends would just make its deep deep feature set easier to use. Not a trivial undertaking but one that may expose an awful lot of value sitting inside of this monster app. Re: non-trivial: Watch the c3n video at http://c3n.se/ until the credits and see just how many people are on board for the 'user experience'!

• "Thumbjam can take mic/line input and convert it to MIDI" /Paul

This feature also makes you awesome at singing (or rather wailing it Aguilera-style with pinpoint precision).

• Here's one: When using Continuum mode on an iPad in the horizontal position, the pitches are glitchy and sometimes go down when they should be going up and vice-versa. Turning the Ipad to vertical mode solves the problem!

iPad 2, ios 6.1.3, TJ 2.3

• edited March 2014

• just got thumbjam
    how do i use my guitar with thumbjam? i want my guitar to sound like a bass?
    how should i set it?

• @Vejichan, first go to Sound->Download Samples and grab a few of the free bass instruments, and try them out see which you like best.

Then with your guitar plugged into your audio interface, turn on the pitch tracking feature in TJ: on iPad it is near the bottom of the sidebar, the button with the microphone and musical notes on it ; on iPhone/iPod you have to open the auxiliary sidebar by hitting the button with the three tiny icons on it (including red dot), then find the mic/notes button at the bottom.

At this point you should get some response from ThumbJam based on your careful playing. The popup panel has some important controls for you. The snap button has 3 modes, a jagged stair step=locked to selected scale, regular stair step=snap to chromatic notes, and ramp='no snap' which matches exactly what you are playing. The last option (ramp) is the best if you want to capture your expression and pitch bending. The 'glide' control you may want to turn down to 0. Set the Threshold the way you like to make individual notes recognized. And important for you, set the Octave control to be -1 so that TJ plays an octave lower than you are playing on your instrument. Experiment with all of it, including your playing style to get the best results, be sure to only let one note sound at a time, it gets pissed off otherwise.

Then, now that you know about this feature, also try using the microphone (and headphones) and your voice with some other presets to have some fun. Sustaining/looped instruments generally work best with voice input.

• edited November 2013

...then leave a review on the AppStore for the developer that just took the time to type 3 paragraphs worth of detailed instructions! :)

• Thanks sonosaurus. How's the tracking and latency? Are there ways to get a better bass sound?

• edited November 2013

@Vejichan, you'll have to be the judge of that! If you don't like TJ's tracking, you can always try one of the other good Audio->Midi apps (Midimorphosis, etc) and send its midi output to TJ. If you don't like TJ's basses (did you download all of them as per instructions above?) you can try sending the midi to something else.

From your comments it is hard to tell what you have actually tried. Without more detailed feedback from you about your experience with the various app solutions, it is hard for us to help more....

There are too many options, but I have a feeling someone else's "borrow a real bass" suggestion (over here http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/2613/pitch-shift-app-for-guitar ) may be the only good answer for you, if you really want something authentic sounding. Or the pitch shifting solutions may be more promising.

• Very diplomatically put.