Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Let's talk about Audiobus 3

Comments

• @MusicInclusive said:

@miguelmarcos said:
    I apologize if I overlooked the below earlier in the thread. Is Apple not going to freak out with, and prohibit, the internal API/libraries that AB3 is publishing? Has Apple given some sort of tacit approval? I know this is AB3 stuff, not hidden iOS APIs but given Apple's authoritarian streak it would not surprise me if they said sorry, you can't do that.

Oh I hope that doesn't happen again - otherwise we'd be in another potential iOS 7->8 situation. OTOH, I hadn't heard or read of anything like that happening with AB3...

Not sure what you guys are talking about but Apple has approved all the things. Audiobus 3 has passed App Review. Apps containing the Audiobus 3 SDK have passed App Review. There are hundreds of third party SDKs out there and most likely most apps on the App Store contain them. Ours is no different.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    MAN 2: It stood proud rock.
    [LAUGHS ALL AROUND]

Surely they were talking about Krautrock :D

• @Sebastian said...

Audiobus 3 has passed App Review.

Congratulations!

so ... Tuesday or Wednesday :wink:

• @Sebastian said:
    Audiobus 3 has passed App Review.

:D YAY! :D

• -Movie Trailer Voice-
    Audiobus 3 - This Time It's Personal
    -/Movie Trailer Voice-

• Very curious! Can't wait to next week.
    This is gonna be probably the most exciting audio app release this year

• From August 2016:

@Sebastian said:
    Every tiny new feature that we add tends to add one week at least of development and testing time. If we'd include even just half of the feature suggestions of this thread we'd launch some time in March next year, I think, which is definitely not the plan.

So we're just planning to launch with something that is just so much better than Audiobus 2. And then we're going to add additional features. We've been working on the MIDI stuff for at least a year and I've promised or hinted at us doing this for probably three years. That should give you an idea of the timeframes we're talking about.

Not trying to be THAT guy – that's actually just how far behind I was on this thread, LOL! Still, couldn't let the irony alone, given we're nearing the Ides of March ... You did it, didn't you, Sebastian? You did include half of the feature suggestions, even against the plan, 'cause you're just that awesome, right?

So basically, AB3 will arrive any day now, and it is totally reasonable that I expect to use MIDI sysex messages to wirelessly trigger my Kuerig to make coffee.

:wink:

Best wishes for a massively successful launch!

• I have felt a disturbance in the Force.

• Hmmm, I see that Sebastian mentioned it passed Apple review but notning to suggest the release is imminent. Maybe I missed it?

For all we know it passed Apple Review 3 months ago and we're just waiting on App adoption now.

Fingers Crossed it's soon though.

• ...so I just got back from the store with tons of popcorn, wine, donuts, to camp out in the living room and wait for AB3. Watching all the old Soundtestroom vids back to back to set my mojo...

• Believe there were issues with older iOS 10 version. Maybe Sebastian just waits for 10.3. Do not hope that AB 3 will be postponed to release of iOS 11. I understood that 11 is a major upgrade and could change iOS things again...

• Looks more like its some overall scale key for global AB midi out

• What you're seeing in that video is a demonstration of one of Johannes Dörr's MIDI filter apps that are part of an Audiobus 3 MIDI setup.

• @obiwahnkentobi said:
    Looks more like its some overall scale key for global AB midi out

There is no 'global AB midi out'. Audiobus 3 has the same configuration page for MIDI that Audiobus 2 has for audio. You'll be able to make input->filter->output pipelines with midi controllers, midi filters and midi destinations (hardware or apps).

• @Sebastian said:

@obiwahnkentobi said:

There is no 'global AB midi out'. Audiobus 3 has the same configuration page for MIDI that Audiobus 2 has for audio. You'll be able to make input->filter->output pipelines with midi controllers, midi filters and midi destinations (hardware or apps).

I can't wait for this!

• Wow, sounds really good, Sebastian.

• edited March 2017

@Sebastian I think I read somewhere it would be released by march 20th, is that realistic? And it would cost around 10€? Very excited about this :-)

Oh, and one more thing: I really hope you could figure out a way to never get the terrible error noise when things are getting too much for the processor. That was always a complete show stopper that would make me afraid to even use AB2 in any live situation...

• You're not far off there, @Munibeast.

Also, are you talking about the Buzz bug?

• @Sebastian said:
    You're not far off there, @Munibeast.

Probably, I mean the constant buzz that would appear in conjunction with the error graphic.

• edited March 2017

@Munibeast said:

@Sebastian said:

Probably, I mean the constant buzz that would appear in conjunction with the error graphic.

That stuff is almost always a sign of one app in your setup causing it. It doesn't have anything to do with CPU. If you want to avoid it, make sure to only use Audio Unit Extensions or quality apps that know how to avoid the buzz bug. Sadly many popular apps made by retronyms suffer from that.

If you find an app that does it, refer its developer to our bugs page, specifically the buzz bug (#18793520) mentioned there: https://audiob.us/bugs

• @NoiseHorse said:
    ...so I just got back from the store with tons of popcorn, wine, donuts, to camp out in the living room and wait for AB3. Watching all the old Soundtestroom vids back to back to set my mojo...

Wonder if anyone is camping out by GPO Box 1171 in Sidney. If you bring him the wine, maybe @Sebastian will let you in early?

• @Sebastian said:
    What you're seeing in that video is a demonstration of one of Johannes Dörr's MIDI filter apps that are part of an Audiobus 3 MIDI setup.

Oh? Curious about this one. Doesn’t look like the current MIDIflow app but it does look like this app says “MIDIflow Scales” on the side. Which might mean that there’s a major new release for that app? Neat! Have only used it to reroute a CC, but that could motivate me to upgrade.

Sounds like AB3 will really strain my budget, if all developers decide to get into paid upgrades. Now that Korg Gadget for macOS is confirmed as out of my range, will need to carefully plan future purchases.

All this because of the developer of a major app decided to innovate. Sheesh!

• @Sebastian said:

@obiwahnkentobi said:

Sweetness - all my standard audio and basic midi routing in one app? Oh. Yeah. :sunglasses:

• @Sebastian said:

@Munibeast said:

@Sebastian said:

That stuff is almost always a sign of one app in your setup causing it. It doesn't have anything to do with CPU. If you want to avoid it, make sure to only use Audio Unit Extensions or quality apps that know how to avoid the buzz bug. Sadly many popular apps made by retronyms suffer from that.

If you find an app that does it, refer its developer to our bugs page, specifically the buzz bug (#18793520) mentioned there: https://audiob.us/bugs

Hmmm, okay, if I recall correctly they were mostly guitar amp sims like ToneStack and BiasFX in conjunction with AB, some drum machines and synth, although not retronyms here. I'll have to verify. I've been avoiding AB recently because of this in favour of AUM, where I never got this terrible noise. Unfortunately there are also no AU amp sims at all.

• @miguelmarcos said:
    I apologize if I overlooked the below earlier in the thread. Is Apple not going to freak out with, and prohibit, the internal API/libraries that AB3 is publishing? Has Apple given some sort of tacit approval? I know this is AB3 stuff, not hidden iOS APIs but given Apple's authoritarian streak it would not surprise me if they said sorry, you can't do that.

It's been a while, but as I understand it, the original version of AB contained a custom way of communicating between applications that worked pretty well (possibly better than the currently approved IAA method). Apple, constantly seeking ways to improve security and further sandbox applications between each other and the OS, created a new method (what would become the only allowed method) for audio communication between apps. This new method came with tons of OS bugs that caused an unusable amount of latency and CPU use, along with several other problematic bugs that to this day still haven't been fixed (in fact, according to @Sebastian we should see a couple of nice bug fixes regarding this, in OS 10.3.). AB 2 required a complete rewrite of the underlying support system from the custom solution to the new IAA solution. Which brings us to today. Currently, I don't think there are any custom API/Libraries in use anymore. IAA and MIDI (and now AU) are the standards that Apple have set, and these are the standards that all of the software works with. Hopefully @Sebastian will correct me if I am wrong. This is how I understand things to be at this point. :smile:

• @Sebastian said:

@MusicInclusive said:

@miguelmarcos said:

Oh I hope that doesn't happen again - otherwise we'd be in another potential iOS 7->8 situation. OTOH, I hadn't heard or read of anything like that happening with AB3...

Not sure what you guys are talking about but Apple has approved all the things. Audiobus 3 has passed App Review. Apps containing the Audiobus 3 SDK have passed App Review. There are hundreds of third party SDKs out there and most likely most apps on the App Store contain them. Ours is no different.

Look at that!! @Sebastian pre-emptively responded a day before I responded. Now THAT's what I call support!!! :wink:

• @mannix said:
    Believe there were issues with older iOS 10 version. Maybe Sebastian just waits for 10.3. Do not hope that AB 3 will be postponed to release of iOS 11. I understood that 11 is a major upgrade and could change iOS things again...

I believe this is correct. There are a couple of OS fixes in 10.3 that relate directly to problems we've been having with IAA and midi.

• @Sebastian said:

@Munibeast said:

@Sebastian said:

Wait a minute!! Did I just understand that AB is now supporting IAA ...AND...AU?!?!?!? That IS what you just said, wasn't it? Oooooooh!!!! :smiley:

• It definitely sounds like AUv3 should be supported.

• @Munibeast said:
    It definitely sounds like AUv3 should be supported.

They are.

@Enkerli said:

@Sebastian said:
    What you're seeing in that video is a demonstration of one of Johannes Dörr's MIDI filter apps that are part of an Audiobus 3 MIDI setup.

Oh? Curious about this one. Doesn’t look like the current MIDIflow app but it does look like this app says “MIDIflow Scales” on the side. Which might mean that there’s a major new release for that app? Neat! Have only used it to reroute a CC, but that could motivate me to upgrade.

Sounds like AB3 will really strain my budget, if all developers decide to get into paid upgrades. Now that Korg Gadget for macOS is confirmed as out of my range, will need to carefully plan future purchases.

I doubt that will be the case. So far the only apps that are entirely new are the MIDI filter/controller apps. All other apps we've been working with during the beta will receive regular updates.