Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Awesome! I've been anxiously awaiting this one. Anyone beta on this and care to comment?

• Can we get some more info about the app?

• Here's the browser version

http://seaquence.org/

• @thinds said:
    Here's the browser version

http://seaquence.org/

Neat!

• @RajahP said:
    Can we get some more info about the app?

http://okaynokay.xyz/seaquence/

Portrait mode only? :(

• @1P18 said:

@RajahP said:
    Can we get some more info about the app?

http://okaynokay.xyz/seaquence/

Portrait mode only? :(

Less neat, almost deal-breaking for me, if so.

• Thanks all

• portrait only. takes finger off buy trigger

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    portrait only. takes finger off buy trigger

walks quietly away....

• Curious... Although I too would prefer the option for landscape too, I don't really see portrait as a dealbreaker. Why do some of you? I've got Earhoof and love to play with that one, and it's portrait only. Doesn't bother me at all. When I mess around with Model 15, I kind of prefer than one in portrait vs landscape orientation.

I'm not criticizing the landscape preference, but I don't understand why it's a deal breaker.

• @skiphunt said:
    Curious... Although I too would prefer the option for landscape too, I don't really see portrait as a dealbreaker. Why do some of you? I've got Earhoof and love to play with that one, and it's portrait only. Doesn't bother me at all. When I mess around with Model 15, I kind of prefer than one in portrait vs landscape orientation.

I'm not criticizing the landscape preference, but I don't understand why it's a deal breaker.

Wondering the same.

• I love Earhoof. Terrific app. But it's pretty much the only thing I'll play portrait and when I do under protest (or actually sideways). Could be force of habit, could be the Pro is always sat just so, could be that I tend to have it wired up and fiddling about between other apps (which always seems the way) is anguishing, but I really dislike it. Full disclosure would also be that I have hardly ever worked on the phone and have never gotten used to it Doctor...just toast. But a powerful flavor of it (for me).

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I love Earhoof. Terrific app. But it's pretty much the only thing I'll play portrait and when I do under protest (or actually sideways). Could be force of habit, could be the Pro is always sat just so, could be that I tend to have it wired up and fiddling about between other apps (which always seems the way) is anguishing, but I really dislike it. Full disclosure would also be that I have hardly ever worked on the phone and have never gotten used to it Doctor...just toast. But a powerful flavor of it (for me).

Pretty much this for me too. Earhoof and Figure I tolerate for their utility.

I like to get set (maybe hooked up to whatever controller/interface) and get into the flow. The last thing I need to be doing while hopping between apps is rotating the iPad like a pizza base. I also don't use a phone for my music making.

• edited March 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I love Earhoof. Terrific app. But it's pretty much the only thing I'll play portrait and when I do under protest (or actually sideways). Could be force of habit, could be the Pro is always sat just so, could be that I tend to have it wired up and fiddling about between other apps (which always seems the way) is anguishing, but I really dislike it. Full disclosure would also be that I have hardly ever worked on the phone and have never gotten used to it Doctor...just toast. But a powerful flavor of it (for me).

I can see that. I started off on strictly the phone and dragged my feet forever before joining the ipad fun. I also don't have anything connected usually. Sometimes accessories via Bluetooth only, so flipping the screen isn't a big deal. If I'm using it connected to desktop via lightning, I generally prefer portrait, but have to flip to landscape frequently because most of the audio apps are landscape only. So, I get the same orientation annoyance but in reverse.

• Further down his stream he says it's dropping on 3.14. Looks like he's on schedule.

Portrait only == likely skip for me too. If I'm holding the ipad in my hands, I don't care all that much. When it's setup in my studio, I don't want to be rotating it and all of its cables every time I switch apps. Particularly since most music apps are actually landscape only!

• @robertreynolds said:

@skiphunt said:
    Curious... Although I too would prefer the option for landscape too, I don't really see portrait as a dealbreaker. Why do some of you? I've got Earhoof and love to play with that one, and it's portrait only. Doesn't bother me at all. When I mess around with Model 15, I kind of prefer than one in portrait vs landscape orientation.

Wondering the same.

I can't stand my ipad up in portrait mode. my Ipad case's stand doesnt do it. its as simple as that.
    i dont like looking downward at my ipad. prefer to keep it like a monitor in front of me on a desk.

• Has to be landscape mode compatible, otherwise the current rotation bug will make it unusable for me.

• edited March 2017

Looks insanely fun to me. If the price is right and it's got at least basic connectivity, I can tolerate portrait just fine. But I'm wondering if these little sea creature thingies are actually interactive or just eye candy. The web app requires flash and I don't have flash on anything anymore. Looking forward to the release. :)

• It's musical and catchy (graphics), so even if restricted to portrait it'll sell to iPhone musicians/creators and maybe even the masses if it gets publicity. Looks really good.

• Some of the tracks in the website vid sound really lovely. If this is released with a cheeky intro price I might jump in with the fishes anyway.

• Looks fun and tempting....For my preference portrait mode is ok if it's supposed to be used on it's own, but not if used with other apps, as I'm attached to a stand most of the time in studio, for iphone though it could be good.

hmm, wondering whether Rotor could do a lot more than this, where the swimming part is random subtle mixing between sequences but I'm not sure if I can see all the features from the vid. Hope it gets midi out.

• @Carnbot said:
    Looks fun and tempting....For my preference portrait mode is ok if it's supposed to be used on it's own, but not if used with other apps, as I'm attached to a stand most of the time in studio, for iphone though it could be good.

hmm, wondering whether Rotor could do a lot more than this, where the swimming part is random subtle mixing between sequences but I'm not sure if I can see all the features from the vid. Hope it gets midi out.

From playing with the web version, the swimming bit just seems to pan and change volume for sequences in the mix. Not sure how this works in the app version, hopefully there's a bit more to it.

• edited March 2017

@MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:
    Looks fun and tempting....For my preference portrait mode is ok if it's supposed to be used on it's own, but not if used with other apps, as I'm attached to a stand most of the time in studio, for iphone though it could be good.

From playing with the web version, the swimming bit just seems to pan and change volume for sequences in the mix. Not sure how this works in the app version, hopefully there's a bit more to it.

Yeah looks like that's it, but would be interested to see more. For an iPhone app though it looks quite fun. But for iPad not sure, looks like Rotor has more depth.

It's good to be in the lucky position to have too many apps that they all overlap in some way :)

edit: has was just having a go on Rotor, thinking an iphone version would be nice and then an update lands the same moment :)

• @Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

Yeah looks like that's it, but would be interested to see more. For an iPhone app though it looks quite fun. But for iPad not sure, looks like Rotor has more depth.

It's good to be in the lucky position to have too many apps that they all overlap in some way :)

edit: has was just having a go on Rotor, thinking an iphone version would be nice and then an update lands the same moment :)

I haven't got Rotor but I've had Reactable for years. Definitely a bit of a crossover with other apps - in a way it reminds me of KRFT, where you build and trigger built-in synth loops. KRFT is one of my favourite apps at the moment, so be interesting to see what this one has to offer.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

I haven't got Rotor but I've had Reactable for years. Definitely a bit of a crossover with other apps - in a way it reminds me of KRFT, where you build and trigger built-in synth loops. KRFT is one of my favourite apps at the moment, so be interesting to see what this one has to offer.

+1 on KRFT. Rotor is cool too. I was thinking the same as @Carnbot and took out Rotor again. Definitely more possibility in Rotor, but the interface of Seaquence looks less fiddly and possibly more fun to play.

• @skiphunt said:
    +1 on KRFT. Rotor is cool too. I was thinking the same as @Carnbot and took out Rotor again. Definitely more possibility in Rotor, but the interface of Seaquence looks less fiddly and possibly more fun to play.

I don't have an opinion on Seaquence yet but the one downside of ROTOR is the fiddliness. KRFT is much more playable live--I guess the physical controllers might help with ROTOR. Still, ROTOR has so much power under the hood--and now on my iPhone. Linked together, I'll have to try KRFT and ROTOR together...

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@skiphunt said:

I don't have an opinion on Seaquence yet but the one downside of ROTOR is the fiddliness. KRFT is much more playable live--I guess the physical controllers might help with ROTOR. Still, ROTOR has so much power under the hood--and now on my iPhone. Linked together, I'll have to try KRFT and ROTOR together...

Sometimes I buy apps because they seem so very well designed and an impressive feat of coding with powerful possibilities. Other apps I buy because they just look so much fun to mindlessly play with. I initially bought KRFT for the "fun" factor, but was pleasantly surprised to discover the devs were on the ball, that the app is so much more, and constantly evolving into something essential indeed. Rotor... I still love it and glad I have it. I should use it more often.

This one looks more immediate fun with less fiddling. Hope it's got a sweet launch price and has AB/IAA. Or, at least a way to record and export to AS.

• Missed it on his site, but on the about page... it lists the features. It'll be FREE, but $6.99 IAP to unlock extra features like midi in/out:

Features

Included with FREE download:
    Fully featured polyphonic synthesis module with support of up to 5 note polyphony per voice
    Dynamic spatial mixer and stereo-panning engine
    A true multitouch experience, up to 11 simultaneous touch points supported.
    Unique swimming physics and swim behaviors — swim patterns are based on synth voice parameters
    Up to 8 voices can be heard simultaneously
    Precision, sample-based clock and sequencing engine
    Intuitive visual multitouch voice editor
    16x16 multitouch sequencer matrix
    Chromatic scale editor
    Octave editor
    Amplitude envelope + length (ADSR+L) with curves and “hold”
    5 oscillator waveform shapes: Square, Saw, Tri, Sin, Noise
    Social sharing features — Get a link to share your creations to friends
    Parent links are maintained — trace back the history of a composition, see who remixed your creations

A single in-app purchase for $6.99 USD unlocks the full app and includes:

State-variable filter with hi-pass, band-pass, lo-pass, and notch modes
    Filter attack envelope with resonance Q and curve editor.
    Swing/Shuffle
    Note step editor: 1/1 to 1/64, including triplets
    Global transpose
    Tempo/BPM
    Portamento/Glide with curve editor
    Additional voice modes in addition to Polyphonic:
    Monophonic with sub-oscillator tuned to a 5th
    Unison with detune
    Delay FX module with feedback and individual voice FX-Send
    MIDI Notes In/Out: Send/Receive MIDI notes from external gear, up to 16 MIDI channels, addressable per voice
    MIDI Ctrl In/Out: Send/Receive MIDI ctrl data from external gear, up to 16 MIDI channels, addressable per voice
    MIDI clock sync: master or slave
    10% of all profits go towards supporting our community at Gray Area Foundation for the Arts, a San Francisco non-profit arts organization.

More info at grayarea.org

• edited March 2017

So the squiggles are basically just a visual mixer? That's definitely cool but when I saw a piano roll I threw up in my mouth a bit. What does it bring to sequencing other than cool visuals? Am I missing something?

Who am I kidding I'll probably buy it. Honestly, it SOUNDS great.

• This looks nice..very immersive and unique!

Be cool if the visuals were recordable too!

Hint hint mr developer