Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KORG NanoKontrol Studio's first review isn't stellar.

Comments

• @Munibeast said:

@RustiK said:

The editor is tedious and is seemingly over ridden by any "Nano" enabled Korg apps. Superseding the programming you have done and resorting to the Korg defaults. Which are less that helpful since they eliminated the prior "scene" system of the first gen Nano Kontrols.

I noticed this too when launching gadget that the scenes I had just set up in the editor weren't available anymore and replaced by the native gadget mode. This really sucks and should be fixed by Korg asap! It makes the NanoKontrol Studio unusable with any of their native mode enabled apps if you want to have your own layout. For now it means I won't use those apps with the controller :-1:

Turn off the nanostudio native mode in gadget and then you should be able to use your own scenes in it.

• edited February 2017

@SpookyZoo said:

@Munibeast said:
    Seriously, my current project is to turn one of these into a foot controller with 25 switches and 2 expression pedals. It ain't easy especially since they made all the contacts even tinier than before. But when it's done I think I'll have one awesome BT pedal :smiley:

Now that sounds like a project!

Keep us updated with progress pics. :)

@syrupcore said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@Munibeast said:
    Seriously, my current project is to turn one of these into a foot controller with 25 switches and 2 expression pedals. It ain't easy especially since they made all the contacts even tinier than before. But when it's done I think I'll have one awesome BT pedal :smiley:

Now that sounds like a project!

Keep us updated with progress pics. :)

Yes, please. What are you aiming to control with this monster?

I'll post some pics and more thoughts about the project soon. Heading to the workshop now to CNC route some more switch modules. The pedal is supposed to be kind of modular with the ability to rearrange switches...
    And of course ultimately it's world domination that I'm trying to achieve here. :blush:

• @Munibeast said:

@RustiK said:

The editor is tedious and is seemingly over ridden by any "Nano" enabled Korg apps. Superseding the programming you have done and resorting to the Korg defaults. Which are less that helpful since they eliminated the prior "scene" system of the first gen Nano Kontrols.

I noticed this too when launching gadget that the scenes I had just set up in the editor weren't available anymore and replaced by the native gadget mode. This really sucks and should be fixed by Korg asap! It makes the NanoKontrol Studio unusable with any of their native mode enabled apps if you want to have your own layout. For now it means I won't use those apps with the controller :-1:

I got it on a whim.

But I thought why not seem so practical.

It just didn't work like I thought it would. It seemed to auto route things in ways that I couldn't work around without undo wasted time.

Granted, the NanoKontrol wireless is a great feature. But, if all Korg midi products map and edit like this, I will pass.

I love ALL my Novation items (keyboards, Launchpad Pro) and also love my Livid Wireless controllers. So, I think I will stay in my lane of what works for me.

Honestly, I don't use Gadget that much, so I don't think these Korg products make much sense for me.

UNTIL GADGET ALLOWS ME TO USE IT LIKE A GRID SYSTEM or LIKE A TRADITIONAL LATERAL DAW- IT IS NOT THAT USEFUL TO ME.

• edited February 2017

@RustiK said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@RustiK said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Do I take it from that review that a computer editor is needed? Will be crossed off my list for use with an iPad if it needs a computer to get the most out of it.

Korg have updated the Kontrol Editor program to work with Nano Key and Kontrol studio, don't know if you need to use it to get up and running, but you will if you want to customise the settings

Honestly, the editor is really nice.

Not anything positive to say after that.

>
    With my short investigation of the editor I've found it a little frustrating.

I couldn't find a way to 'bulk' change the midi channel of All controls.

Have I missed it somewhere?

On the NanoKontrol2 there is a Global channel which you can use or you can also specify specific channels for individual controls....I think the studios work the same ?
    Set all controls to use the Global Channel, and then change the global channel when you want to change the midi channel for all controls.
    I am not sure if you can save a different Global channel per scene or not, and I don't think you can change the global channel on the unit itself...maybe there is a CC or sysex you can send it to change the Global Channel when needed.

Do you like the N2?

It has proved useful on occasions and doesn't take up much space. I have considered putting a few together and making a controller for Odyssei....
    I have most recently used it to control Troublemaker which works pretty well. I have also used it to control ModStep mixer and transport.
    That all being said though I did originally want it as a controller for the Gadget mixer but sadly no go :|
    It is easiest to use with iElectribe...but I stopped using that a while back.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@RustiK said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@RustiK said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Do I take it from that review that a computer editor is needed? Will be crossed off my list for use with an iPad if it needs a computer to get the most out of it.

Korg have updated the Kontrol Editor program to work with Nano Key and Kontrol studio, don't know if you need to use it to get up and running, but you will if you want to customise the settings

Honestly, the editor is really nice.

Not anything positive to say after that.

>
    With my short investigation of the editor I've found it a little frustrating.

I couldn't find a way to 'bulk' change the midi channel of All controls.

Have I missed it somewhere?

On the NanoKontrol2 there is a Global channel which you can use or you can also specify specific channels for individual controls....I think the studios work the same ?
    Set all controls to use the Global Channel, and then change the global channel when you want to change the midi channel for all controls.
    I am not sure if you can save a different Global channel per scene or not, and I don't think you can change the global channel on the unit itself...maybe there is a CC or sysex you can send it to change the Global Channel when needed.

Do you like the N2?

It has proved useful on occasions and doesn't take up much space. I have considered putting a few together and making a controller for Odyssei....
    I have most recently used it to control Troublemaker which works pretty well.
    That all being said though I did originally want it as a controller for the Gadget mixer but sadly no go :|
    It is easiest to use with iElectribe...but I stopped using that a while back.

iElectribe was the one app it worked well with.

I considered keeeping for that alone, but realized I have a MIDI designer template that is more useful

• @RustiK said:

My solution is this, like everything for me at this point.

Just buy Novation gear

Haha... I completely agree. My whole desk is covered with Novation gear, with the token Korg control.

I'm hoping to see something new from Novation this year. A dedicated Blocs Wave controller would be interesting.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@RustiK said:

Just buy Novation gear

Haha... I completely agree. My whole desk is covered with Novation gear, with the token Korg control.

I'm hoping to see something new from Novation this year. A dedicated Blocs Wave controller would be interesting.

• I use the nanokontrol studio wirelessly with AUM and it does the job. The editor software is awful.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@RustiK said:

Just buy Novation gear

That looks a lot like my desk, except I got a Remote-25 instead of the X-Station, regular Launchpad (not pro) and an Akai LPK instead of the iRig keys....Oh and I don't have a laptop either lol

• @SpookyZoo said:

@RustiK said:

Just buy Novation gear

HaHa!

I even have orange Novation wire ties............................my Launchpad underwear are in the wash :wink:

In my mind's eye I see a screen added to Circuit and bam Circuit for Blocs, LPad for Launchpad app.

NOW WE NEED A NEW SYNTH APP FROM NOVATION!

Launchkey app is one of slickest little bastards out there for synth in a pinch with easy modulation.

• @RustiK said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@RustiK said:

Just buy Novation gear

HaHa!

I even have orange Novation wire ties............................my Launchpad underwear are in the wash :wink:

In my mind's eye I see a screen added to Circuit and bam Circuit for Blocs, LPad for Launchpad app.

Launchkey app is one of slickest little bastards out there for synth in a pinch with easy modulation.

a bit like this that I put in a different thread recently

@AndyPlankton said :
    Circuit wave with 8 pads and a oled screen for scene/wave display and some rotaries for loop points pan and >volume and a Launchpad that had sample playback and a send function between the two would sort me out ;)
    Oh and if the sample Launchpad could have LaunchControl XL support too. :D

• @AndyPlankton said:

@RustiK said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@RustiK said:

Just buy Novation gear

HaHa!

@AndyPlankton said :
    Circuit wave with 8 pads and a oled screen for scene/wave display and some rotaries for loop points pan and >volume and a Launchpad that had sample playback and a send function between the two would sort me out ;)

Did anyone ever tell you how intelligent and intuitive you are? Did they tell you they think you are the coolest person they ever met?

I figured they did.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@RustiK said:

Just buy Novation gear

That looks a lot like my desk, except I got a Remote-25 instead of the X-Station, regular Launchpad (not pro) and an Akai LPK instead of the iRig keys....Oh and I don't have a laptop either lol

iRig Keys isn't really used in this setup, kind of a placeholder really. Got it for an absolute bargain £10 on eBay. :)

Currently got a 2nd X-Station top right, and introduced an FCB1010 to the setup too. Have been considering a Quneo or BCR2000, but what will I do then?

I'll have all the 'control' I'll ever need and will then have to think about actually using them to make some music! ;)

• The Novation Audiohub is amazing btw. I have 2 anker usb hubs with 4 slots each plugged in, so everything midi gets connected to the iPad (or Mac) with one lead. Powers them all too. Awesome. :)

• @RustiK said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@RustiK said:

Just buy Novation gear

HaHa!

@AndyPlankton said :
    Oh and if the sample Launchpad could have LaunchControl XL support too. :D> @SpookyZoo said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@RustiK said:

Just buy Novation gear

iRig Keys isn't really used in this setup, kind of a placeholder really. Got it for an absolute bargain £10 on eBay. :)

Currently got a 2nd X-Station top right, and introduced an FCB1010 to the setup too. Have been considering a Quneo or BCR2000, but what will I do then?

I'll have all the 'control' I'll ever need and will then have to think about actually using them to make some music! ;)

Hehehe....damn I got nothing left to set up, ill have to use it now :D

@SpookyZoo said:
    The Novation Audiohub is amazing btw. I have 2 anker usb hubs with 4 slots each plugged in, so everything midi gets connected to the iPad (or Mac) with one lead. Powers them all too. Awesome. :)

I'm using a 7 port powered hub for midi connections and separate UCA 202 for audio in/out - i also use a Line6 Amplifi TT for guitar which also doubles as an audio interface so i swap between the UCA and Amplifii as needed.

• @RustiK said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@RustiK said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@RustiK said:

Just buy Novation gear

HaHa!

@AndyPlankton said :

Did anyone ever tell you how intelligent and intuitive you are? Did they tell you they think you are the coolest person they ever met?

I figured they did.

Nope LOL :D

• I've got the BCF2000, which works really nicely on Cubase on the desktop.....unfortunately it only works properly with Auria on iOS as a mixer(but it is easy to get lost as to where in the auria mixer you are with the BCF), I guess this would be the same...It will more than likely use Mackie HUI....if only Cubasis and Gadget had Mackie HUI support :|

• edited February 2017

@AndyPlankton said :

Yes please!!

• @Munibeast hubba hubba wow! What are you cooking up?

Is the top right switch a bank/preset selector? (or: why does that one have 5 dots?)

• @syrupcore said:
    @Munibeast hubba hubba wow! What are you cooking up?

Is the top right switch a bank/preset selector? (or: why does that one have 5 dots?)

It now has 6 holes because I noticed the scene button actually has an LED for each of the 5 scenes and another one to illuminate the button itself. Not sure if I need that. Otherwise I can put the power LED there.

• Ah, now I understand what it is. Forgot about this post. Too cool.

@Munibeast said:

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Munibeast said:

@RustiK said:

Turn off the nanostudio native mode in gadget and then you should be able to use your own scenes in it.

Right, that should do the trick. Thanks!

• @Munibeast

WOW.Impressive!

Thanks for sharing the pics.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    @Munibeast

WOW.Impressive!

Thanks for sharing the pics.

You're welcome!

• I got a Nanokey Studio which I like, especially for the easy scale function.
    I'm thinking of picking the Nanokontrol too...

• I have a the nanokeys studio and outside of the Bluetooth disconnecting sometimes which I believe is an iOS issue not a hardware issue, I like it. It is limited for sure by number of controls but it's perfect for on the go tactile control

• Oh and the software bundle it came with, which I didn't know about, was worth way more then the price of the actual controller