Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GO PRO : Generic or Off Brand

Looking for a camera to film tutorials or instructional videos?

What app do you use for doing things like that?

Comments

• Old iPhones are cheap on eBay and they have decent video cameras.

Someone on this forum mentioned ProCam as a good filming app. It has manual controls (for keeping lighting and focus consistent)

• A go-pro (or as I've got, a Sony AS-15 Action Cam) is inappropriate for most tutorials and instructional work, as those action cams are designed with a super-wide uncorrected lens assembly, and therefore give you a fisheye view. Of course, if the tutorial is about how to paint a room, or something that would benefit from an uncorrected fisheye view, go for it. For normal talking head shots, or desktop demonstration, they'd look inappropriately distorted and you'd get far too much else in the view. If you move it close enough to cut out all the unwanted background in the view, you'd increase the distortion of the central nearby subject even more.

• I use an app called MoviePro on my iPhone. It went free once so I grabbed it. It has manual mode and you can lock the autofocus and lighting. I am seriously thinking about getting FiLMiC pro though. $9.99 is not a bad price. It seems to have better settings for Audio and supports multichannel interfaces.

I got a cheap gopro knockoff for $30 but it was pretty bad quality even though it was supposed to be 4K. The lighting is weird and not really any settings.

I have done a ton of research and contemplation about this topic. If I had the money, I would get a DSLR or mirrorless with a fully articulating screen. Panasonic G85 or the new Nikon d5600, both are under a grand in the US. I know it would be overkill for just filming an iPad but it would open up more possibilities to do more types of videos. If you could only finance a camera, interest free for 24 months like you can an iPhone.

• I've got a GoPro hero4 silver and its solid. You can use the Linear FOV (for GoPro Hero 4+) to effectively change the fisheye look to a normal perspective. I wouldn't buy it solely to shoot film tutorials, but if you could also use an action cam for your hikes/beach trips/what have you, I'd consider it a good choice.

• The other thing is, and I've spent a lot of time and money accumulating and then recently jettisoning cameras, I'm fairly satisfied that camera phones of circa 2012 onwards is all anyone needs. In many cases, it'll be the spare one, or the one tucked away in a drawer, or some other and older one than your main normal phone. It's worth repurposing a phone from that generation into solely a video camera (and if you're lucky, the front cam might be good-ish, too, so you can do selfie arrangement where you can look at the monitor as you shoot).

• ^ that's what I'm saying. an iPhone 4s can be had on ebay for $40 with a cracked screen (who cares). Makes a great video camera. I bought 3! ... .now to make the time for recording videos.

• FiLMiC Pro is hand's down, the most comprehensive and easy to master video capture app.

• Check out the Zoom Q4n or Q2n. Affordably priced HD cameras with decent mics, designed for musicians. I have the Q4n, works great.

• @Hmtx said:
    Old iPhones are cheap on eBay and they have decent video cameras.

Someone on this forum mentioned ProCam as a good filming app. It has manual controls (for keeping lighting and focus consistent)

Totally agree. I have an army of Galaxy s2 that I use for multiangle shots. They even fit onto standard mic holders pretty well.

• @supadom said:

@Hmtx said:
    Old iPhones are cheap on eBay and they have decent video cameras.

Totally agree. I have an army of Galaxy s2 that I use for multiangle shots. They even fit onto standard mic holders pretty well.

Add me on. I took a real video camera (Panasonic) to a client interview/shoot recently, used it as the main source, but also set up a 6S plus and an Air 1 at different angles and just let them run. Best quality from the 6S. iPad and Panasonic were about even.

• edited February 2017

The new Zoom Q2n . $159.95 usd

• @supadom said:

They even fit onto standard mic holders pretty well.

I'm trying to picture that... Width of phone bed vs width of a mic?

• edited February 2017

MultiCam/Switcher pro app and iOS devices (4s and above)
    Aldo Filmic app.

RecoLive MultiCam por Switcher Inc.
    https://appsto.re/es/3g-vI.i

• If your subject is well lit then an old iPhone (5s) is usable. Indoor with poor light forget it !!
    Something to think about... decent audio is more important than high res footage.
    Do you have a budget in mind ?

• edited January 2021

@[Deleted User] said:
    Check out the Zoom Q4n or Q2n. Affordably priced HD cameras with decent mics, designed for musicians. I have the Q4n, works great.

Any advice on setup with it? I have it, but i can't do anything "pro looking" with it, as on ipad screen glares and reflections are noticeable and you cant change much your focus, so with my silly table tripod looking diagonally down on ipad lying down on table, its not really focused and also image distortion is present.

• @RUST( i )K so, how did that go? What app / phone did you choose in the end?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

They even fit onto standard mic holders pretty well.

I'm trying to picture that... Width of phone bed vs width of a mic?

I know this is long overdue but here it is:

• I say - start with what you have. If it's phones, it's phones. Don't let gear acquisition stop you from making your first videos - I did for a long time. The camera on your phone is just fine to start with if you've got a bit of patience.

We all know the benefits of quality gear and how much it can improve the process and I don't disagree - just don't want to let that "I need XXXXXX before I can start" mindset creep in.

Just my $0.02

;)