Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DA ONE - new synthesizer (a 10/38-oscillator behemoth!)

Hi everybody,

Here's a new Audiobus enable synth:
http://itunes.apple.com/app/daonesynth/id1202932254

It's based on an extended version of Chronium's synthesis engine and features now 10 oscillators and 4 filters. In fact, 4 of the oscillators have a built-in 8-voice chorus, meaning that you really get the sound of 38 free-running oscillators.

The synthesizer's blocks are connected by an innovative routing system that allows millions of different configurations.

For a video showing the synth "in action", check it out on the App Store: http://itunes.apple.com/app/daonesynth/id1202932254

Best regards,
Fritz

Comments

• any chance we can get a tutorial video showing it in more detail ? would like to see more before i plunge headfirst into another synth.

• Incredibly impressive-looking. Does it have state saving though? That's the most important question.

• @Fritz said:
    Hi everybody,

Here's a new Audiobus enable synth:
    http://itunes.apple.com/app/daonesynth/id1202932254

It's based on an extended version of Chronium's synthesis engine and features now 10 oscillators and 4 filters. In fact, 4 of the oscillators have a built-in 8-voice chorus, meaning that you really get the sound of 38 free-running oscillators.

The synthesizer's blocks are connected by an innovative routing system that allows millions of different configurations.

For a video showing the synth "in action", check it out on the App Store: http://itunes.apple.com/app/daonesynth/id1202932254

Best regards,
    Fritz

Hi Fritz and congrats on the release. Couldn't see the video you mentioned...the links above appear to be a duplicate...

• State saving will come with the first update (I've already partially implemented but not completely working yet). I'll see that I make a video tutorial tomorrow and post it on the MNSP Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mnsignalprocessing

• Hi Fritz and congrats on the release. Couldn't see the video you mentioned...the links above appear to be a duplicate...

Hi Johnny,
    Thanks. Yes, actually depending on the device you're using, you may not be able to see the video. Just understood this now. :-D So I posted the video on the Facebook page, too.

• @Fritz said:
    State saving will come with the first update (I've already partially implemented but not completely working yet). I'll see that I make a video tutorial tomorrow and post it on the MNSP Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mnsignalprocessing

Awesome to hear mate! :) Once I get an iTunes card, I'm gonna snap this up with the faith the state saving is coming. I'm a sucker for modular synths in case you couldn't tell (which is why I prefer Caustic over Gadget), and having something that has even more functionality than Caustic's modular is pretty great.

• Looks interesting! Would this be considered a semi-modular synth? Can you tell us more about the blocks we see in the picture? What kinds there are to choose from? And how the routing works? Like, do you hook everything up from a pile of unconnected blocks, or are there some connections always in place, like the envelope always controls the note volume, and the keyboard always controls the oscillator pitch?

• @Processaurus said:
    Looks interesting! Would this be considered a semi-modular synth? Can you tell us more about the blocks we see in the picture? What kinds there are to choose from? And how the routing works? Like, do you hook everything up from a pile of unconnected blocks, or are there some connections always in place, like the envelope always controls the note volume, and the keyboard always controls the oscillator pitch?

Actually all the connections are already in place, but there are plenty of them and you can change their strength (imagine it like a modular synth with a fixed cabling but plenty of mixers everywhere). There is a subharmonic oscillator, a suboctaves oscillator, a wavetable oscillator, a vector-waveform-mixing oscillator, and 6 FM oscillators (which have some additive synthesis qualities, too). Then there are 4 12dB/octave filters and 4 distortion blocks. And finally a time-variant amplifier. Modulation sources are 4 envelopes, key, modwheel, and velocity.

• Once again for live situations I wish these apps were universal. I dont like lugging an ipad around when an iPhone and a midi controller with suffice. Sorry I know I'm on a universal app crusade and I apologize for the one track rant but most musicians are using plus phones not ipads for live gigs. Just some food for thought

• Ah, thank you for the explanation. The wavetable, And fm oscillators, as well as the different distortions sound imaginative. I'm thinking it is a plus that the cabling is fixed, since full modular synths are time consuming to get good sounds out of.

• "Lugging an iPad around". Even worse is when your roadie gets a hernia from all that bulk! How simply awful! ;)

• @Panthemusicalgoat said:
    Once again for live situations I wish these apps were universal. I dont like lugging an ipad around when an iPhone and a midi controller with suffice. Sorry I know I'm on a universal app crusade and I apologize for the one track rant but most musicians are using plus phones not ipads for live gigs. Just some food for thought

I agree and I'm going to make this app universal soon. The reason for it not being universal yet is that it was already not so easy getting a user interface with 292 parameters on an iPad. In particular the routing editing would be nearly impossible on an iPhone with the current UI. But since I'll use the same editor (and large parts of the DA1 synth engine btw.) for Chronium, I have to come up with a solution that works also on the iPhone very soon.

• Hello @Fritz looks good. Could you explain how midi implementation is done ? Does it have midi learn ? For everything ?
    Also, did you implement loading presets thru program change ? May you consider that option soon ?
    Thanks

• Hello Fritz, will it becomes Link Support?

• @Bartlinux said:
    Hello Fritz, will it becomes Link Support?

I also want to know this. pretty much exclusively use apps with link now just because i like to keep all the lfo's etc tempo synced.

• @crony said:
    Hello @Fritz looks good. Could you explain how midi implementation is done ? Does it have midi learn ? For everything ?
    Also, did you implement loading presets thru program change ? May you consider that option soon ?
    Thanks

The MIDI implementation is based on the built-in iOS MIDI framework, so it supports hardware devices and network connections. Program change is implemented, but not (yet) bank change (controller #0). I'll implement bank change, too at some point, but with a switch to turn it off because it can be annoying in some situations.
    MIDI learn is not implemented yet but it's also on my to-do-list. Mind you though that you cannot control everything simultaneously via MIDI because there are 292 parameters and only 128 MIDI control change numbers. But I see use cases for MIDI learn, for example to control multiple filters with just a single set of sliders, so I'm committed to adding it.

• edited February 2017

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Bartlinux said:
    Hello Fritz, will it becomes Link Support?

I also want to know this. pretty much exclusively use apps with link now just because i like to keep all the lfo's etc tempo synced.

Given the fact that there are no LFOs, I don't see the need for Link in this app. I am looking into it though for Chronium. And if DA1 gets LFOs at some point, I'd of course consider adding Link/MIDI sync too.

• Has the price of the app decreased ?

• edited February 2017

Thank you @Fritz
    Sounds interesting. Will be checking it out.
    Things I love already - The icon, and the "DA ONE" image
    I have so many synth apps, but I'm thinking about it. Currently leaning towards BUY when I get home.
    (also noticed it looks cool with colors inverted)

• @Sbee said:
    Has the price of the app decreased ?

Yes it's on sale for $5.99 today and tomorrow.

• @Fritz I thought so, thanks for answering.

• @Tritonman said:
    "Lugging an iPad around". Even worse is when your roadie gets a hernia from all that bulk! How simply awful! ;)

Hehehe

• edited February 2017

@Fritz Have to say I'm a sucker for a random button coupled with very easy user slot saving...could do with a two minute 'how to make adjustments for idiots' video, but am already having fun blundering around while I should be working.

• @Redo1 said:
    Thank you @Fritz
    Sounds interesting. Will be checking it out.
    Things I love already - The icon, and the "DA ONE" image
    I have so many synth apps, but I'm thinking about it. Currently leaning towards BUY when I get home.
    (also noticed it looks cool with colors inverted)

Nice to hear that you like it. The Logo represents the filters, the asymmetric distortion, and the skew parameter found on the the four "non-FM" oscillators. The ONE logotype is also a "BIT" of a reference to the old Italian Crumar synths. ;-) I've got one of them myself and find they have something fascinating, even though they're probably not among the most popular analog synths out there.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @Fritz Have to say I'm a sucker for a random button coupled with very easy user slot saving...could do with a two minute 'how to make adjustments for idiots' video, but am already having fun blundering around while I should be working.

It's on my to do list.

• Hi Frirtz , i like your synth And creating new presets with the randomize button ( for all parameters And the routing ) .

@Fritz said:

@Sbee said:
    Has the price of the app decreased ?

Yes it's on sale for $5.99 today and tomorrow.

Why today And tomorrow And not yesterday when i bought it ? I lost Again 3 euros And must ask a refund to Apple And rebuy it again .I Know 3 euros is Nothing but i lost a lot of money buying non sale apps .Can you put the intro price at the day one the next Time ?

• @Fritz said:

@crony said:
    Hello @Fritz looks good. Could you explain how midi implementation is done ? Does it have midi learn ? For everything ?
    Thanks

The MIDI implementation is based on the built-in iOS MIDI framework, so it supports hardware devices and network connections. Program change is implemented, but not (yet) bank change (controller #0). I'll implement bank change, too at some point, but with a switch to turn it off because it can be annoying in some situations.
    MIDI learn is not implemented yet but it's also on my to-do-list. Mind you though that you cannot control everything simultaneously via MIDI because there are 292 parameters and only 128 MIDI control change numbers. But I see use cases for MIDI learn, for example to control multiple filters with just a single set of sliders, so I'm committed to adding it.

Glad to read that :) Thanks @Fritz !

• Hi @Fritz thanks for the sale. I like the program presets as well as the randomize function as a starting points for tweaking sounds. I also like that it has a lot of slots to save user presets. There's also the ability to share programs. Is there a way to delete user presets? I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

• Hi @Fritz
    Best $6 I've spent on the AppStore in a long time. Great work: a huge synth that's incredibly accessible. My favorite synth GUI since ever.

• @studioAB said:
    Hi @Fritz thanks for the sale. I like the program presets as well as the randomize function as a starting points for tweaking sounds. I also like that it has a lot of slots to save user presets. There's also the ability to share programs. Is there a way to delete user presets? I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

You can of course overwrite them. So far there's no way to make the slot empty again. But I'll put it on my to do list.