Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Accessory Unavailable │ Problems connecting USB stuff to iPad and iPhone - haQ attaQ 204

Ever tried connecting a USB device to your iPad or iPhone only to end up with the message: "Accessory Unavailable, the attached accessory uses too much power"? This can happen when trying to connect a MIDI controller, USB sound interface or even a USB microphone. Check out this video to find out why this is happening and also how to solve this problem!

haqattaq

Comments

• Concisely explained, thanks. I hate the dongle mess and will do anything to avoid it...

• edited February 2017

No that's good advice, it secure things, but I would also recommend an Audioquest usb cable ultimately if you still have issues, read my full "adventure" here:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/17374/advice-to-all-that-got-crackles-with-your-soundcard-or-ipad#latest

• edited February 2017

@5pinlink I always base my videos of my personal experience and I haven't found any issues with this so far. As long as the USB stuff I'm connecting is Class Compliant of course.

I also did a lot of searching before I put together this video but I couldn't find anything about users reporting that the USB3 to Lightning connector didn't work for them.

However your comment made me wonder if I did a bad search. So I would be greatful If you could point me to sources that reports the usage of a USB3 to Lightning not working for soundcards (or other stuff).

Also if you could point me out to a manufacturer that suggests that their gear should be operated with a powered hub and USB3 to Lightning combo. I would love to get in contact with them and learn more.

Maybe you have your own experienced with this? It would be awesome if you could share them?

Only issue I am having is the Zoom Q2HD. It's not only the iPad mini one that doesn't connect well with it. I tested connecting it to my iPad Pro and my iPad Mini 2 and I'm running into the same issue. And it doesen't matter wether I'm using USB3 to lightning and/or the powered USB. The iPads reckognises the hardware, but I till can't get any sound from the unit. It's drivning me insane.

• edited February 2017

@jakoB_haQ said:
    @5pinlink I always base my videos of my personal experience and I haven't found any issues with this so far. As long as the USB stuff I'm connecting is Class Compliant of course.

I also did a lot of searching before I put together this video but I couldn't find anything about users reporting that the USB3 to Lightning connector didn't work for them.

However your comment made me wonder if I did a bad search. So I would be greatful If you could point me to sources that reports the usage of a USB3 to Lightning not working for soundcards (or other stuff).

Also if you could point me out to a manufacturer that suggests that their gear should be operated with a powered hub and USB3 to Lightning combo. I would love to get in contact with them and learn more.

Maybe you have your own experienced with this? It would be awesome if you could share them?

Only issue I am having is the Zoom Q2HD. It's not only the iPad mini one that doesn't connect well with it. I tested connecting it to my iPad Pro and my iPad Mini 2 and I'm running into the same issue. And it doesen't matter wether I'm using USB3 to lightning and/or the powered USB. The iPads reckognises the hardware, but I till can't get any sound from the unit. It's drivning me insane.

hey @jakoB_haQ The cck3 can actually run less simultaneous midi controllers than the original cck when you do not use any external power. example:- with the normal cck and an unpowered hub i could connect 2 keith mcmillan k-boards and at the same time connect an m-audio midisport x1. but if i try the same with the cck-3 it fails when trying to power all 3 without external power. so i'm forced to use 1 k-board and the midisport. so even though the cck3 is more useful when using external power the original cck still has its uses. specially when you plan on running things solely off the ipads power. As you mentioned some devices refuse to work with the Cck3. so thats another reason for keeping the original as a backup.

• edited February 2017

@gonekrazy3000 Thats some awesome feedback Thank you! I might have to do another video on this topic to complement the one above.

Regarding the Q2HD, it stoped working after upgradimg to iOS7. I Only had the Apple CCK at the time, no USB hub either to try with.

When the USB3 to Lightning connector was
    Launched I was soo hoping that it might fix my problem with the Q2HD...but it didnt.

I then found new hope when i purchased the USB hub but It kust don't work. I've tried several dongle combinations now.

Two days ago I was able to get sound from the Q2HD connected to my iPad mini 1 through the Old CCK with a hub. But only for a few seconds and then AudioShare crashed. Haven't been able to reproduce those results afterwards though. Madly frustrating!

• edited February 2017

@jakoB_haQ 1 awesome thing about the new cck3 though. if you plug in a decent battery bank you can actually power a launchpad pro and still be completely wall socket free.
    got myself a 20000 mah battery bank so i can jam for hrs. i even added an unpowered hub and connected my 2 k-boards and a launchcontrol XL for basically a mobile battery powered studio.

• I have similar experience in that the CCK3 actually sometimes provides less power to external devices than the old CCK does?!

My guess is that some power needs to be 'passed thru' to the iOS device for charging and depending on the battery status the 'power-sucking' is not constant.

When the battery is almost empty or charging the pass-thru power is less than when the iOS-Device battery doesn't need charging. (Ie. my external nuForce uDac-2 doesn't get enough 'juice' when the iPad battery is <20% even with the CCK3 connected to a charger), with the old CCK I can drain the iOS battery until it's 'empty').

I will most likely end up getting the uDAC-3 since it's power-usage is <100mAh while my current uDAC-2 sucks close to 500mAh...

• @gonekrazy3000 Yeah it's awesome! I also have a power bank, its only 15000mah though. But that powerbank and the USB3 to Lightning connector, has allowed me to bring my stuff with me on trips where I didn't have access to wallpower. Freaking love it!

• @Samu said:
    I have similar experience in that the CCK3 actually sometimes provides less power to external devices than the old CCK does?!

My guess is that some power needs to be 'passed thru' to the iOS device for charging and depending on the battery status the 'power-sucking' is not constant.

When the battery is almost empty or charging the pass-thru power is less than when the iOS-Device battery doesn't need charging. (Ie. my external nuForce uDac-2 doesn't get enough 'juice' when the iPad battery is <20% even with the CCK3 connected to a charger), with the old CCK I can drain the iOS battery until it's 'empty').

I will most likely end up getting the uDAC-3 since it's power-usage is <100mAh while my current uDAC-2 sucks close to 500mAh...

More great feedback, thanks @Samu :)

• @gonekrazy3000 @Samu Hmm this power consumption thing has got me wondering about the charger itself.

What chargers have you tested with? I'm wondering if it would make any difference wether the charger is more or less powerful?

I'll do some tests myself. I've got three models of Apple chargers.

5W iPhone Cather 5 volts 1A
    10W iPad Charger 5.1 volts, 2.A
    12W iPad Pro charger 5.2 volts, 2.4A

I would like to point out that I don't feel comfortable charging my iPhone with the iPad Pro charger. Am I being ridiculous. I have this feeling that the iPhone could overheat from that? Anyone?

• @jakoB_haQ said:
    @gonekrazy3000 @Samu Hmm this power consumption thing has got me wondering about the charger itself.

What chargers have you tested with? I'm wondering if it would make any difference wether the charger is more or less powerful?

I'll do some tests myself. I've got three models of Apple chargers.

5W iPhone Cather 5 volts 1A
    10W iPad Charger 5.1 volts, 2.A
    12W iPad Pro charger 5.2 volts, 2.4A

I would like to point out that I don't feel comfortable charging my iPhone with the iPad Pro charger. Am I being ridiculous. I have this feeling that the iPhone could overheat from that? Anyone?

I've tested with the official ipad 2.1A charger and various 1A chargers. And 2.1A battery banks. with a 1A charger the launchpad pro will not power on and give an insufficient power error. But with 2.1A power adapters and the battery banks it works fine.

• I've got one 12W charger that was/is part of the 'travel kit' and another 12W I bought a year ago as well as some 10W and multiple 5W ones. After I 'migrated' to using the Korg nanoKEY Studio as my main iPad controller I've not had any major issues with power as I usually just attach one device on a 'need to use' basis and use the iPad headphone jack for monitoring most of the time.

• @gonekrazy3000 @Samu Yeah I can imagine that the 1A charger won't last for long. In this case, size really does matter.

Btw, it's nice to have access to a headphone jack isn't it! ;)

• @jakoB_haQ said:

Sure Is!

I also love the way core-audio auto-routes the signal paths. If you have say the Behringer UCA-202 attached and plug-in the headphones to the headphone jack on the iPad the output on the UCA-202 is muted but input still works as usual and if you un-plug the head-phones from the iPad the output returns to the Behringer UCA-202... :)

• @Samu said:

@jakoB_haQ said:

Sure Is!

I also love the way core-audio auto-routes the signal paths. If you have say the Behringer UCA-202 attached and plug-in the headphones to the headphone jack on the iPad the output on the UCA-202 is muted but input still works as usual and if you un-plug the head-phones from the iPad the output returns to the Behringer UCA-202... :)

Quite brilliant actually!

Ah the UCA-202. Another thing easy to fall in love with. The simplicity of it and the fact that it can be powered of an iPhone and oh, it just works!

• @jakoB_haQ said:

@Samu said:

@jakoB_haQ said:

Sure Is!

Quite brilliant actually!

Ah the UCA-202. Another thing easy to fall in love with. The simplicity of it and the fact that it can be powered of an iPhone and oh, it just works!

I got a UCA-202 based on the advice in your video, it does "just work". It's handy for quick and nasty audio work on my ancient laptop too.

That alongside my Launchkey Mini (great integration with Launchpad app) are my two favourite iOS complementary gadgets. Chuck in some Blocs Wave and you can get some great jams going in no time all synced up perfectly.

• I know it's an awkward time in the day/evening to do this but I will be live streaming today 170216 at 14:30 UTC+1 Stockholm time. Yesterday I published a video about the "Accessory Unavailable" issue that sometimes happens when trying to connect USB devices such as MIDI controllers, sound interfaces and even USB microphones.

Well, I received load of comments on this topic from the iOS musician community spread over multiple forums and social networks. After reading all the feedback I decided on making another video in where I am actually testing multiple USB devices, using different "dongle configurations".

And so I thought that a live stream of this process would be better instead of an edited video. This way you can see what's actually happening. you'll also be able to see If there is anything you think I might be doing wrong.

The stream will go active on this address at 14:30 UTC+1 (Stockholm time)
    http://www.youtube.com/c/JakobHaq/live

• @5pinlink said:
    First one off hand (they even have a video explaining it on their site) Audient, their interfaces will not work without powered hub, second, Hercules (P32 is recommended for DJPP by uts developer) will not work without powered hub, NI DJ 6 will not work properly without powered hub, i could list more but those easily prove the point.
    Lightning to USB 3 is not a "this just works" solution.

Thank you! I did some extensive testings live on my channel today and you are right! One interesting thing we discovered was that when using multiple USB devices the most stable dongle-combo was a Powered USB hub together with the old CCK.

• Impressive that you found the time to address this so quickly, thanks @jakoB_haQ.

• @jakoB_haQ said:

@5pinlink said:
    First one off hand (they even have a video explaining it on their site) Audient, their interfaces will not work without powered hub, second, Hercules (P32 is recommended for DJPP by uts developer) will not work without powered hub, NI DJ 6 will not work properly without powered hub, i could list more but those easily prove the point.

Thank you! I did some extensive testings live on my channel today and you are right! One interesting thing we discovered was that when using multiple USB devices the most stable dongle-combo was a Powered USB hub together with the old CCK.

Precisely why I still kept the old cck :)

• edited February 2017

@jakoB_haQ said:

@5pinlink said:

Fyi, I have here a case where CCK3 + usb 3 powered hub is working better than with the CCK2...
    But it has also a "degraded mode" with premium usb cable !!

It's with the Voice Live Touch connected on a usb 3 hub.

First case : If you use the cck2, and a regular usb cable from the hub to the VLT, you'll get "device is not recognized" . And you may, sometimes after 10 try, get the connection...

Second case : With the CCK3, works fine.

Third case: Finally, with the CCK3 + a good quality (audioquest Forest) usb wire between the the hub and the VLT, no message, it just works.

Fourth case: with CCK2 + good quality usb wire, I get the message "device is not recognized" , but it still messing but after 1/2/3/4 try, it can make it.

Fith case: AND it even works MUCH BETTER with the CCK 30pin previous apple port + adaptor 30 to lightning !!! There, sometimes directly works, or just 1 deco/reco, and it's all gud ! Get the message "not recongnized" after some use, but doesn't break a thing.

Cheers !

• @crony Great feedback! I also checked my hub-type and I realised I've been using a USB 2.0 model. I'll have to get me a pair of Audioquest cables and redo my tests again.

• @TheVimFuego said:
    Impressive that you found the time to address this so quickly, thanks @jakoB_haQ.

I had to. I don't want to spread bad info or anything like that. Besides, the livestream only took me approx two hours to do. It would have taken 1 or 2 days to make a regular haQ attaQ video of this process. Also a livestream was a good thing to do, so that anyone watching could see the the whole process, including any mistakes I might make.

It looks like I'll have to do this thing one more time as soon as I get some Audioquest USB cables and a USB3 hub....I wish this stuff could just work. :)

• @jakoB_haQ fyi I'm using this one:
    https://www.anker.com/products/68ANHUB-B10A
    But I think this one should do the same job
    https://www.anker.com/products/A7505112
    There's also the Elektron hub, but I think it's too pricey.

I also just ordered a replacement 3.0 usb cable for this hub (which has already a good quality, but I want to make sure it's perfect for the all section...)
    https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0094WUDC0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also ordered an Audioquest cinnamon to compare with my forest.

• edited February 2017
  • @crony Thanks! It's going to take me
    A while to get everything together, but at least I know what to look for now. =D

• @jakoB_haQ said:

@TheVimFuego said:
    Impressive that you found the time to address this so quickly, thanks @jakoB_haQ.

I had to. I don't want to spread bad info or anything like that. Besides, the livestream only took me approx two hours to do. It would have taken 1 or 2 days to make a regular haQ attaQ video of this process. Also a livestream was a good thing to do, so that anyone watching could see the the whole process, including any mistakes I might make.

It looks like I'll have to do this thing one more time as soon as I get some Audioquest USB cables and a USB3 hub....I wish this stuff could just work. :)

The delayed YouTube stream today really cheered me up, I love all the mistakes and brainwave capture tech. We need more of this to liven up what can be dull subject matter.

We are at the bleeding edge so I guess some teething issues are expected.

• @5pinlink ABSOLUTELY, that's what I was thinking MTT hub ! That's the key !
    Normally the usb hub 3 I've pointed should be MTT...

• edited February 2017

@5pinlink @crony Could you point me to a few models of MTT hubs that are known to work well?

• The Elektron's hub is, and the I've pointed from Anker are also MTT, normally...I never had clearly MTT mentioned.
    This feature is a kind of holy Graal of hubs...