Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sourcing why Ableton Link sync is worse than MIDI sync.

I have Model 15 app sync'd via Ableton Link and when I use the Model 15 arp it's noticeably off from the rest of ableton. I get better results with MIDI connection and using my Keystep arp. Wondering if it has anything to do with running my Analog Rytm as an aggregated device with Overbridge. Overbridge and Link sync timing should be the same in ableton but apparently not.

Comments

• weird, I use the latest version of abelton with Model 15,and other apps with Link. I love it. It syncs perfectly. have you checked to make sure your track doesn't have delay compensation turned on by default? Or your midi interface or wireless connection has a high latency for some reason. thanks the only things i can think to check

• I've always found Link to be solid when used only on iPad apps, but when Link is enabled on Ableton Live, I usually struggle with noticeable latency in the iPad audio stream ,especially when using studiomux (which I may have to give up on soon)

• I find Ableton Link pretty solid. Most definitely check for delay compensation as I had to adjust it in Fugue Machine to get it to sync up but once it was in sync, it never missed a beat. I can't speak for Model 15 as I have not broke down and bought it yet.

@gsm909 I loved Studiomux for a while but just seemed I was trying to do to much with it and I would always end up troubleshooting more than I was playing, so I broke down and got an iConnectAudio4+. Its one of my favorite pieces of gear right now. It is perfect for anything computer to iOS or even iOS to iOS audio and midi.

• I've only used link within apps and the op-1 and it's rock solid. Love the countoff

• edited February 2017

@Holiday said:
    I have Model 15 app sync'd via Ableton Link and when I use the Model 15 arp it's noticeably off from the rest of ableton. I get better results with MIDI connection and using my Keystep arp. Wondering if it has anything to do with running my Analog Rytm as an aggregated device with Overbridge. Overbridge and Link sync timing should be the same in ableton but apparently not.

are you using studiomux ? cause its useless with link. it adds enough latency that even patterning is off by 20-30 ms. over my iconnectaudio4+ the model15 syncs perfectly with ableton.

Please tell me the exact signal chain you have right now. is ableton and the ipad running in seperate streams into a mixer ? or are you feeding the ipad stream into ableton ? if the stream is being fed into ableton reduce abletons latency as much as possible. try to keep it below 10ms and you should not notice the lag between the input app and ableton itself.

• @gsm909 said:
    I've always found Link to be solid when used only on iPad apps, but when Link is enabled on Ableton Live, I usually struggle with noticeable latency in the iPad audio stream ,especially when using studiomux (which I may have to give up on soon)

My experience is that it all depends on what type computer you run Ableton Live.

• edited February 2017

Weird, Ableton Link for me is a godsend, Ive spent many frustrating hours with MIDI sync problems with hardware and software, all was cured when I put Ableton Link as the central clock. Could it be the wifi?

• Soundcard drivers can be an issue with Link too, so make sure your's are up to date.

• My guess it's probably the network/WiFi connection. I picked up a cheap 2nd Gen Airport Express just to create a private network for Link jams. I read someone was able to reliably use Link with over 20 devices simultaneously with an Airport Express. In my testing I was able to run 5 devices (2 ipads, 2 iphones, and a MBP) completely in sync with no problems.

• @vpich said:
    I've only used link within apps and the op-1 and it's rock solid. Love the countoff

Does the OP-1 support Ableton Link?

• @srcer said:

@vpich said:
    I've only used link within apps and the op-1 and it's rock solid. Love the countoff

No. I use an app to convert link to midi called midi link sync. The op-1 shows right up as a destination.

• @vpich said:

@srcer said:

@vpich said:

No. I use an app to convert link to midi called midi link sync. The op-1 shows right up as a destination.

Thanks! So you're not controlling the tempo from the OP-1 then?

• Right. Link controls all the apps and is the master itself to the midi output.

• @Holiday said:
    I have Model 15 app sync'd via Ableton Link and when I use the Model 15 arp it's noticeably off from the rest of ableton

Is it specifically the arp thats the problem? I know some synths use their own BPM setting for the ARP which might be different from the actual speed set by LINK.

ie. if your song is 120bpm make sure the synth is set to 120bpm as well regardless of link.