Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wotja goes subscription

10$ - $15 depending on channel export (midi) and hours of usage.

Comments

• Intermorphic has always been horrible in terms of pricing and upgrading/ actual features and functionality, but this is the ultimate stop signal to me. No more Intermorphic. Not on Mac, not on iOS.

• Per 6 months

• That's crazy. Self-renewing subscription for $20-$30 every year.
    Meanwhile, actual music:

• I'm not sure that I like the idea of subscription for my music apps.

Ironically my job is being part of a 2 man team for a subscription based Shopify app. I believe these are completely different however. Our app helps store owners to increase their sales so the cost/benefit of the subscription is justified. If not we get uninstalled.

I'm just not sure that subscriptions for hobby based apps will catch on.

Very often I've splashed out money on the premium apps but perhaps not delved fully into it to appreciate it until a year or more has passed.

• I stopped buying subscription based programs long ago when a couple of companies I had programs by ceased to exist. I do have pre-subscription Wotja loaded on a couple of iOS devices. Guess I need to back that up as intermorphic has removed the pre-subscription version from the my purchased area of the App Store.

• Looks like they're about to "retire/abandon" Noatikl 3 for iOS or Mixtikl 7 too. They're going all-in on subscription and just going to support Wotja now.

https://intermorphic.com/wotja/#faq-ntx-mtx-wj4

I've paid for Mixtikl four times now. Only updated to Mixtikl 7 a few months ago too.

Pity. I liked Mixtikl, but these devs will never get another penny from me.

• edited February 2017

Tip toe, tip toe... quietly, almost whispering, hand slightly raised syrupcore syrups, "I think subscriptions for some apps could work out well for everyone."

• Annual subscriptions do not appeal to me for apps I don't already love/get value from but there are certainly some pricier apps I'd be interested in trying out for a month. Indeed, I wonder if subscription models might finally get around the iOS free trial problem (app is free for N time, then a sub is required). Think the NYTimes crossword app works that way. Been too long since I installed it for me to verify. Anyone want to give it a try?

Either way, I'm 100% pro devs experimenting with revenue models so that they can keep at it and we can keep having access to the good for a reasonable price.

• I don't think it's cool for devs to resell an app at full price every time they have a new revision number. Then at some point, create a new similar app that's subscription only, and "retire/remove" the apps users have already paid for from the store.

If you're going to experiment with a new pricing model, do it with a completely new app, but don't pull the rug out from the users who've already been supporting you through several repurchases of each revision of an app by "retiring" the app and removing it from user's purchased apps.

But hey, that's me. I've lost trust for Intermorphic as a developer who has any respect for their users at this point and they've lost a loyal customer.

• No way.. AudioMaster went subscription too. No dice

• As stated by others, I don't mind devs trying out new ways to monetize on their work, I really don't. I also think I am more prone than many to actually subscribe to things. However, I think for me to pay a subscription fee it has to be "utility I will always need". Photoshop, Lightroom and MS Office falls in this category for me, as does Github and Harvest, all tools for running my business.

For hobbies though I have a hard time to see why I should pay a subscription fee for something I might use 1-5 times in total for the foreseeable future, which is the category Wotja falls in for me. It can be cool when I'm out of ideas. Then again it hasn't been so far. That either means I'm not in their target audience, or that I'm doing it wrongly I guess. I have however paid for it twice, and I don't intend to pay for it again, especially not as a subscription.

In fairness, the good thing with their new model though is that it will be free to try out, to work out if you'd like to pay for it, at all, which I'm personally thinking you'd need some pretty strong need for doing, but hey, each to their own. I have lost count of the apps I've bought that I thought would fulfil a need it actually didn't, which I haven't seen as a reason to refund = wasted money. With new Wotja users can at least work out if it is the tool for them before they pay anything.

• @skiphunt said:
    Looks like they're about to "retire/abandon" Noatikl 3 for iOS or Mixtikl 7 too. They're going all-in on subscription and just going to support Wotja now.

https://intermorphic.com/wotja/#faq-ntx-mtx-wj4

I've paid for Mixtikl four times now. Only updated to Mixtikl 7 a few months ago too.

Pity. I liked Mixtikl, but these devs will never get another penny from me.

I was aware when I bought them (the version numbers are a dead giveaway) I'd be buying an app with built-in obsolescence, didn't expect them to be abandoned altogether though. To be honest I've never used them due to the crap UI, so they won't be missed.

• I dont want to knock any developers because it's tough being independent and it's getting even more difficult for everyone. But the main market these are selling to are also finding it even more tough than developers. Artists don't have any money. So having extra bills won't work. For me I'll just use the apps which aren't subscription models, it'll help decide which apps not to get.

well I've just started up Noatikl and Mixtikl and both are broken on my device, so I'll have to buy the current unsupported versions to use them again before they die too...

The main reason I didn't upgrade before was they failed to create a decent UI and I think they would have got a lot more sales if they'd seen that.

• Turns out I have Wotja - I didn't even remember. Says it all really. No way I'd pay a subscription for it.

• I shouldn't have to buy It again to stop it from doing this...

• @Carnbot said:

I shouldn't have to buy It again to stop it from doing this...

Which version is that? I've got Noatikl 3 which is still working ok. Though my version of Mixtikl looks like that.

@Carnbot said:

I dont want to knock any developers

I do, I think Intermorphic Ltd are taking the piss.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

Which version is that? I've got Noatikl 3 which is still working ok. Though my version of Mixtikl looks like that.

@Carnbot said:

Noatikl 2 and Mixtkl 6 do this on all my devices on latest iOS, completely useless now.

• @Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

@Carnbot said:

Noatikl 2 and Mixtkl 6 do this on all my devices on latest iOS, completely useless now.

Hmm, I've uninstalled Mixtkl now as mine's knackered too. I'll probably ditch Noatikl as well - it's working but as it could stop with the next iOS update there doesn't seem much point in investing time using the app and creating work in it.

• edited February 2017

I've stood up for Intermorphic regarding their last update and have found them to be very helpful in correspondences., but (if I'm getting this right) they aren't going to be updating Noatikl and Mixtikl, then I'm not impressed. As for the Wotja subscription, I won't go with any subscription model, so not for me. The end of support for Noatikl / Mixtikl concerns me more so.

• I like Noatikl and Mixtikl, and they're discontinuing those apps? AND Intermorphic is becoming subscription-based? What a bunch of greedy pricks, pardon my language. They won't be getting a cent more from me.

• Greed no, financial solubility yes. The margins are tough. However, as has been said by other people the cost to benefit ratio of the apps has been in decline and the usability has not increased.

IF they had a subscription that was more reasonable, say in the cost of a coffee range, I wouldn't mind especially if they continued to have the funds to pay for their costs and some profit AND that the app continued to improve.

I don't see this happening. :(

• @audiblevideo said:
    Greed no, financial solubility yes. The margins are tough. However, as has been said by other people the cost to benefit ratio of the apps has been in decline and the usability has not increased.

IF they had a subscription that was more reasonable, say in the cost of a coffee range, I wouldn't mind especially if they continued to have the funds to pay for their costs and some profit AND that the app continued to improve.

I don't see this happening. :(

If Intermorphic were to release Wotja with the subscription fee and still keep Noatikl and Mixtikl up to date for subsequent iOS releases (even if new features were only added to Wotja), there's your "financial solubility". Noatikl and Mixtikl have been around for years and have a decent fanbase. I'm only first beginning to master them due to how beautifully complex they are. If no new features are added to those two, oh well. I have plenty of great features already.

However, the greed comes in where Intermorphic seems to want to let Noatikl and Mixtikl fall to the wayside in a power play to try and force us to switch to Wotja and charge us periodically for the same damn feature set we already have now. (This is much like what Autodesk has recently done with their 123d line of apps.)

Bottom line - if Intermorphic will continue maintenance on Noatikl and Mixtikl but give all new features to Wotja, that's fine. If Intermorphic wants to discontinue Noatikl and Mixtikl, then I have no choice but to open Caustic and dust off my old deck of playing cards instead.

• Yes, I'd be happy if they just kept the original set of apps in a working condition without new features. I think it's a kick in the teeth to the current user base. If they offered alternate ways of paying for their products they'd make more money, not forcing into a binary choice of subscription or nothing.

In the statement they made they blamed lack of visibility on the App store for the failure of the full-grade purchase model. I bet that wasn't the whole story. I didn't upgrade for other reasons so I bet they probably lost some of their user base from that decision already.

Also because of the weak gui, it looks quite cheap and hides the quality app that lies underneath.

• Considering the latest versions are just over a year old, and dedicated users may have been buying new versions around once a year for the last 7 years, abandoning them completely is difficult to understand - more so when they're being replaced by yet another new version. They're already subscription based in everything but name.

Not sure what they're trying to achieve here but it's a PR disaster to say the least.

• edited February 2017

@Carnbot said:
    Yes, I'd be happy if they just kept the original set of apps in a working condition without new features. I think it's a kick in the teeth to the current user base. If they offered alternate ways of paying for their products they'd make more money, not forcing into a binary choice of subscription or nothing.

In the statement they made they blamed lack of visibility on the App store for the failure of the full-grade purchase model. I bet that wasn't the whole story. I didn't upgrade for other reasons so I bet they probably lost some of their user base from that decision already.

Also because of the weak gui, it looks quite cheap and hides the quality app that lies underneath.

They (intermorphic) keep throwing in my face, "you just want free development, etc."

How is it that I bought 4 full versions of their Mixtikl app that weren't much different from each other... bought the most recent Mixtikl 7 simply because iOS broke Mixtikl 6 and they refused to update it to even function again. So I stupidly paid them full price once again just to get a functioning version with little or no new features.

Total greed play. I don't see how anyone can support this kind of greedy practice.

Intermorphic's practices give devs a bad name. Really makes you appreciate the few devs who actually care and respect their paying users.

I've paid them full price 4 times for essentially the same app... just to get a version that works with the current iOS install, with very few (if any) new features. How is that getting "development for free"? :(

• @skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:
    Yes, I'd be happy if they just kept the original set of apps in a working condition without new features. I think it's a kick in the teeth to the current user base. If they offered alternate ways of paying for their products they'd make more money, not forcing into a binary choice of subscription or nothing.

They (intermorphic) keep throwing in my face, "you just want free development, etc."

How is it that I bought 4 full versions of their Mixtikl app that weren't much different from each other... bought the most recent Mixtikl 7 simply because iOS broke Mixtikl 6 and they refused to update it to even function again. So I stupidly paid them full price once again just to get a functioning version with little or no new features.

Total greed play. I don't see how anyone can support this kind of greedy practice.

Intermorphic's practices give devs a bad name. Really makes you appreciate the few devs who actually care and respect their paying users.

I've paid them full price 4 times for essentially the same app... just to get a version that works with the current iOS install, with very few (if any) new features. How is that getting "development for free"? :(

Yes I think they're shooting themselves in the foot, there's plenty of us willing to give them more money but they aren't treating their customers very well.

• @Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

Yes I think they're shooting themselves in the foot, there's plenty of us willing to give them more money but they aren't treating their customers very well.

I agree, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt (the last Noatikl update did have quite a lot of useful new stuff), but I think it's a flawed business decision. For me, Wotja isn't their primary App at all - it's Noatikl.