Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Advice to ALL that got crackles with your soundcard or iPad...

edited February 2017 in General App Discussion

Hello,

I always have crackles at some point, randomly, but most of times after a certain time, even with iPad in sleep mode, then come back, then f..... crackles.
Of course, it depends on devices, it degrade very fast sometimes, without having a clue why, which has pissed me off like forever.
I thought about latency, buffer, ram, processors, psu, usb hubs...But I never thought a USB cable should make any difference.
I'm aware of that for audio cables, but for usb ? This is just numeric 0 and 1, it's a cable, it's there or it's not, end of discussion, I had agree that, some devices may require a good usb cable, so ok, I've been careful to use the shortest, and the thicker one, but then, nothing more. For me a good usb cable was : thick, short, black with the plastic round for the ground.
Appart from that, it was just marketing...

But yesterday I saw a cheap (as they are usually very expensive) usb cable Audioquest Forest.
I was just thinking, well, why not at that price...
Then, I plug it between my TC-Helicon Voice Live Touch, to my ipad (thru USB) which has been particularly fast degrading the signaI, midi clock, everything...I plug it, then...I was just blown away...
The voice is 3 times cleaner, and the connection is hyper stable...I couldn't believed my ears, the mic sounded so cristal clean.

So, from now, I can say, I heard it, it's TRUE, it WORKS. Alleluia brothers :)

Comments

• @crony said:
    Hello,

I always have crackles at some point, randomly, but most of times after a certain time, even with iPad in sleep mode, then come back, then f..... crackles.
    Of course, it depends on devices, it degrade very fast sometimes, without having a clue why, which has pissed me off like forever.
    I thought about latency, buffer, ram, processors, psu, usb hubs...But I never thought a USB cable should make any difference.
    I'm aware of that for audio cables, but for usb ? This is just numeric 0 and 1, it's a cable, it's there or it's not, end of discussion, I had agree that, some devices may require a good usb cable, so ok, I've been careful to use the shortest, and the thicker one, but then, nothing more. For me a good usb cable was : thick, short, black with the plastic round for the ground.

But yesterday I saw a cheap (as they are usually very expensive) usb cable Audioquest Forest.
    Then, I plug it between my TC-Helicon Voice Live Touch, to my ipad (thru USB) which has been particularly fast degrading the signaI, midi clock, everything...I plug it, then...I was just blown away...
    The voice is 3 times cleaner, and the connection is hyper stable...I couldn't believed my ears, the mic sounded so cristal clean.

@crony We're mostly pro-audio here, so pricey audiophile pre-recorded listening gear generally doesn't fit in our workflow.

Or something.

• I use an Audioquest Forrest USB cable between my mac and my sound card. Definitely an improvement in sound quality.

• edited February 2017

@decibelle @anickt I hear your sarcasms, I would have said the same thing 2 days ago, depending also on who was saying that, but I wouldn't have been so pretentious and dumb with my comments...I also think you really didn't read carefully my experience...

I had this cable for 10 € , so a very good price, that's why I decided to give it a go:

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Forest-Digital-Audio-Cable/dp/B00415AHFS

I'm not a huge talented producer, not here to fight or prove I'm the coolest guy ever, I honestly don't give a shit at all....
    But I have ears, and I'm honest enough to give you facts that I've verified.
    Believe it or not, it makes a huge difference, certainly also for a stable live clean performance. Midi infos + audio are transiting thru this cable in my setup.
    And yes, it still very expensive for a wire...Agreed.
    As I said, it's like I was using RCA to minijack stereo adapter to XLR / XLR !!!!
    Yes, it's that huge.

• @crony said:
    @decibelle @anickt I hear your sarcasms, I would have said the same thing 2 days ago, depending also on who was saying that, but I wouldn't have been so pretentious and dumb with my comments...I also think you really didn't read carefully my experience...

I had this cable for 10 € , so a very good price, that's why I decided to give it a go:

I'm not a huge talented producer, not here to fight or prove I'm the coolest guy ever, I honestly don't give a shit at all....
    Believe it or not, it makes a huge difference, certainly also for a stable live clean performance. Midi infos + audio are transiting thru this cable in my setup.
    As I said, it's like I was using RCA to minijack stereo adapter to XLR / XLR !!!!
    Yes, it's that huge.

Just kidding man. I've seen good cables make a huge difference and I've seen really expensive cables not make a difference at all. If it works, it works!

• @decibelle said:

@crony said:
    Hello,

@crony We're mostly pro-audio here, so pricey audiophile pre-recorded listening gear generally doesn't fit in our workflow.

Or something.

@crony said:

Yes, it's that huge.

I was being absolutely straightforward and literal.

No sarcasm here.

• I have just noticed this recently with my iPad using AUM with my midi keyboard connected via apogee jam going through echo pad and crystalline in AUM.
    After leaving the setup for an hour(?), I return to play and it crackles so I restart AUM and all is fine again.
    Similar thing?

• edited February 2017

Ok, so I've tested further.
    What I can say:
    1.It's not 100% better for all cases. If you don't have any problem, it won't make it better.
    2.If you have crackles, random disconnect, glitches, midi device lost, then change your usb cable, first to an other simple one, not an expensive one ! The cable might be dying, and that's evidences of it...
    3.if you need a 100% secure audio transaction on a sensitive point of your studio, go for it ! You don't have to get all of your wires that pricey of course !

In my case, it's a very sensitive part because of this:
    I've got my voice + 1 mono input (replacing the guitar) from the headphone of my mininova to catch the vocoder connected to the voice live touch 2, then usb carrying audio to the iPad, then effects, then, return it back.
    I first had troubles because while using a cck lightning, but not the latest one (usb 3+power).
    I had frequently the message "usb device is not recognised".
    So I first thought it needed more power (but connected thru a powered usb hub already, so...????) but with the CCK3, it was connecting directly...BUT, after some times, crackles....
    So now, using this audioquest usb, with the "old" CCK, it works directly ! And it's stable.
    So here, I'm going to keep it.
    And throwing the old usb wire which seems dying...Or use it to something not that critical...
    Keep in mind your CCK might be dying also...

Et Voilà !

• edited February 2017

@Redo1 said:
    I have just noticed this recently with my iPad using AUM with my midi keyboard connected via apogee jam going through echo pad and crystalline in AUM.
    After leaving the setup for an hour(?), I return to play and it crackles so I restart AUM and all is fine again.
    Similar thing?

Haven't been tested enough to be 100% positive, but might be yes. At least this is what happened last night, with approx 1h testing (and resting) with my setup using AUM, no Audiobus, sugar bytes effects + some synths.

• I honestly think this is a placebo effect on your part. Or you just had extremely shit quality cables earlier. But if it works for you then good. In my case as long as it's not a <1$ cable I never get crackles. Like ever. Does it crackle with the new cck3 when it has an adapter plugged in ?

• Thanks for the tip @crony. Glad it's working for you.

• @gonekrazy3000 just started a new test now to see how long it will last, with start/stop, wait then loop, till it crackles...
    cck3 with adpater seems the more stable environnement, and this is what I'm doing for this test.
    Maybe a conjunction with an approximative old CCK and a usb wire dying ...Just enough to weaken this part of the chain ? Anyway, if it crackles, I've done my best, I won't buy a cinnamon cable at 75$, that is for sure...
    Last possible issue, the iconnectivity audio 4+ has a problem...

• @crony said:
    @gonekrazy3000 just started a new test now to see how long it will last, with start/stop, wait then loop, till it crackles...
    cck3 with adpater seems the more stable environnement, and this is what I'm doing for this test.
    Maybe a conjunction with an approximative old CCK and a usb wire dying ...Just enough to weaken this part of the chain ? Anyway, if it crackles, I've done my best, I won't buy a cinnamon cable at 75$, that is for sure...

i use the iconnect audio 4+ for 5-6 hrs with no crackles myself. i've noticed you've made changes with the usb buffers and whatnot. so maybe that could be the issue ? with the vanilla settings at 44100 hz its pretty rock solid on my end.

• @crony said:
    @gonekrazy3000 just started a new test now to see how long it will last, with start/stop, wait then loop, till it crackles...

Many iCA4+ and iCM4+ users (myself included) have experienced latency issues when working with the latest versions of iOS and macOS. Here's a post directly from iConnectivity's blog:

http://www.iconnectivity.com/blog/ios-10-and-os-x-sierra-please-hold-updating

I saw this issue when first going to iOS 9 as well.

• edited February 2017

@kgmessier said:

@crony said:

Many iCA4+ and iCM4+ users (myself included) have experienced latency issues when working with the latest versions of iOS and macOS. Here's a post directly from iConnectivity's blog:

http://www.iconnectivity.com/blog/ios-10-and-os-x-sierra-please-hold-updating

I saw this issue when first going to iOS 9 as well.

Oh. that might explain why i have no issues. I'm using windows 7 64bit myself. Only time i've noticed crackles on my Air2 is when i tried 96000hz. at 44100 it almost never crackles unless i try to use extremely low buffer. on IOS 10.2.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

Oh. that might explain why i have no issues. I'm using windows 7 64bit myself.

Yup!

For the benefit of those using iOS and macOS: I haven't been using my MacBook as much since getting an iPad Pro, but I'll check this evening to see if the latest versions of iOS and macOS behave well with iConnectivity now. As you can see from the blog post, the issue was raised several months ago, but a few point releases may have resolved the issue. I recall that being the case with iOS 9 and El Capitan.

• edited February 2017

@gonekrazy3000 could you tell me how exactly you set your latency with the 2 parameters ?(can't remember the names)
    So, I've jammed a bit, almost an hour, now on hold, to see what will happen, but absolutely no crackles...

• i'm just using the default settings the device came with. just change the audio to 96000khz 24bit when i use my PC only. and 44100 24bit when i use both my ipad and pc.

• @crony said:

Dont find it under 50€....
    10€ would i try
    But if i use your link thats:
    $38.75 + $14.76 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Germany Details

• @crony said:
    @gonekrazy3000 could you tell me how exactly you set your latency with the 2 parameters ?(can't remember the names)
    So, I've jammed a bit, almost an hour, now on hold, to see what will happen, but absolutely no crackles...

Are you on a Mac or a PC, @crony?

• edited February 2017

IOS only here...But I have a MacBookAir also...

• Just tested a play, some controllers, everything's fine.... :D

• @obiwahnkentobi I know, I found it in a little phillipino mal , lost into a little town of Saudi Arabia.
    Guys are selling Nad DAC stuffs, in a hidden shop, it's just crazy, nobody here knows these kind of technologies.
    The guys are making huge discount, nobody wants that around here...
    It seems I took the last usb A/B wire, the other seemed mini usb or something.
    But there's also audio wires from audioquest. I'll check further...

• edited February 2017

Ok, still no probs.
    I noticed some little glitches while switching apps on the other iPad, who has the "old" cck and a short normal usb cable, but connected to a usb hub...
    I think I'm going to test on this one now, to see how it reacts...

BUT MORE THAN 4 HOURS PLAYING straight, not a single problem.
    Before, it was random...Like an hour without any problem, then chaos, like glitches, a kind of double echo, with a sync completely reversed...Or, even from the beginning of use, so after a fresh result, just glitches directly...
    Really random, so impossible to do think about some live seriously.

• Just switched, and glitches here we are. But to be fair, I should have rebooted first...
    But hotswap is suicidal in a live situation...So better be careful on half broken psu on hub usb, disconnecting in the middle of a track... :D

• edited February 2017

btw. this is important. are the sample buffer settings identical on both ipads ?
    as in. both are running 256 samples ? i have noticed that when using my ipad and my
    pc with differing number of samples glitches occur. this occurs with a laptop and a desktop as well. as long as the settings are identical it runs fine for hrs on end.

• Hmm here it's not relevant, as they're not connected at all...
    But for the two ipads connected to the ICA4+ they indeed have 2 different settings, one at 512, the other at 1024.
    If I use the other at 512, with the numbers of synths used, here I've got lots of glitches directly.

• @crony said:
    Hmm here it's not relevant, as they're not connected at all...
    But for the two ipads connected to the ICA4+ they indeed have 2 different settings, one at 512, the other at 1024.
    If I use the other at 512, with the numbers of synths used, here I've got lots of glitches directly.

well. there you go. audio interfaces aren't really designed to work with 2 different buffer settings simultaneously. do a test. put both ipads to 1024. yes. this will cause input lag. but you're only testing for crackles. tell me what you find out. I'm genuinely curious.

• @gonekrazy3000 you must be right...I couldn't make it differently before...But now I might be...
    But definitely need testing.
    Aller hop hop hop !

• Ah, my bad, were already both at 512...I did that recently.
    But as I said, not relevant, omho, at this point...