Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

which audio recorder app?

I often start with an audio recording and mess with it to start ideas for songs. I want an iPhone app that will allow me to record high quality uncompressed files (PCM, WAV or AIFF) and has an clean straight forward interface and file sharing design.

Curious which one you find you use most. What if your preferred app?

thanks a bunch,

Greg K.

Comments

• p.s. I only want to record. Definitely do not need editing functionality.

• AudioShare.

• edited February 2017

Ferrite (free) editing and FX extra.

Oops AAC. Check it out anyway.

• I have about 50 or so song ideas recorded with MultiTrack Recorder - I think it's one dollar US to remove ads and get all features. Handy because it operates like a mini Tascam 4-track from back in the day - helpful if I come up with a harmony or vocal bit I don't want to forget.

You can export compressed or WAV/AIFF, to Dropbox and possibly more - I lob them all at Dropbox for transfer to my AudioShare "Current Projects" folder on the iPad.

• @philowerx said:
    AUM

o really! cool, I bought this then never used it!

• @wim said:
    AudioShare.

Really! didn't know you could outright record with it!! cool, thanks!

• Sounds to me like you're describing AudioShare. I have over 30GB of uncompressed recordings of practices and gigs in mine at the moment, struggling with whether I should spend an eternity offloading them to the cloud or just delete them all. It's getting out of control! The only thing I wish it had is a metronome and a count in feature for recording musical ideas so that I can later easily drop threm in a project.

• I use Audioshare for quick capture. Gonna end up in there anyway.

• edited February 2017

@audiblevideo said:
    Ferrite (free) editing and FX extra.

Oops AAC. Check it out anyway.

Cool to know. I have this already too! thanks!

• edited February 2017

@eustressor said:
    I have about 50 or so song ideas recorded with MultiTrack Recorder - I think it's one dollar US to remove ads and get all features. Handy because it operates like a mini Tascam 4-track from back in the day - helpful if I come up with a harmony or vocal bit I don't want to forget.

You can export compressed or WAV/AIFF, to Dropbox and possibly more - I lob them all at Dropbox for transfer to my AudioShare "Current Projects" folder on the iPad.

O cool, thanks! So is this what I see as "Multi Track Song Recorder Pro" in iTunes? 4-Track is appealing feature!

• @gkillmaster said:

@eustressor said:
    I have about 50 or so song ideas recorded with MultiTrack Recorder - I think it's one dollar US to remove ads and get all features. Handy because it operates like a mini Tascam 4-track from back in the day - helpful if I come up with a harmony or vocal bit I don't want to forget.

O cool, thanks! So is this what I see as "Multi Track Song Recorder Pro" in iTunes? 4-Track is appealing feature!

Yeah, that's the one! I don't lose song ideas anymore - probably my most used app :+1:

• edited February 2017

@eustressor said:

@gkillmaster said:

@eustressor said:

Yeah, that's the one! I don't lose song ideas anymore - probably my most used app :+1:

thanks! The Apple "Music Memos" looks pretty nice too. Once again, too many good apps!
    Spire and Take looks pretty cool too.

• @gkillmaster said:

@philowerx said:
    AUM

You should! Its a hell of an app. Especially if you use AU instruments of/and fx

• @ToMess said:

@gkillmaster said:

@philowerx said:
    AUM

You should! Its a hell of an app. Especially if you use AU instruments of/and fx

Plus you can transparently access AUM recordings in audioshare

• @eustressor said:

@gkillmaster said:

@eustressor said:

Never saw this one. Thanks for the tip. Has a pretty low rating and I can't see any text reviews (on my phone anyway). What gives?

Linky: https://appsto.re/us/emVVU.i

• MultiTrack DAW has 8 tracks and can be upgraded to 24. Very easy audio capturing app that has a nice reverb, simple EQ, and compressor. It's also got multiple export and sharing options as well as AudioBus, and IAA. More information here: MultiTrack DAW by Harmonicdog
    https://appsto.re/us/15qOt.i

• audioshare & Twisted with ALL iap

• edited February 2017

@Matthew said:
    Sounds to me like you're describing AudioShare. I have over 30GB of uncompressed recordings of practices and gigs in mine at the moment, struggling with whether I should spend an eternity offloading them to the cloud or just delete them all. It's getting out of control! The only thing I wish it had is a metronome and a count in feature for recording musical ideas so that I can later easily drop threm in a project.

• @RustiK said:
    audioshare & Twisted with ALL iap

Twisted? Like Twisted Wave Recorder?

• @Matthew said:
    Sounds to me like you're describing AudioShare. I have over 30GB of uncompressed recordings of practices and gigs in mine at the moment, struggling with whether I should spend an eternity offloading them to the cloud or just delete them all. It's getting out of control! The only thing I wish it had is a metronome and a count in feature for recording musical ideas so that I can later easily drop threm in a project.

Thanks! checking into this. being able to get a recording going quickly would be key for what I'm after.

• AudioShare seems like the quickest to me. Exactly three clicks to start recording (including starting the app). And you're already in the mist versatile storage and sharing environment for your ideas.

Plus, you're right where you need to be to trim your recordings and make level adjustments.

There are more powerful options out there, but I doubt more efficient for what you describe.

• edited February 2017

@syrupcore said:

@eustressor said:

@gkillmaster said:

@eustressor said:

Never saw this one. Thanks for the tip. Has a pretty low rating and I can't see any text reviews (on my phone anyway). What gives?

Linky: https://appsto.re/us/emVVU.i

Horrible ingrates like myself who sadly, all too often, have to be shamed to remember to review cool apps :wink:

EDIT: oh, hey, I did review this one, it's just that I downloaded the free version and upgraded to pro - exact same app once you upgrade ... check the review by some dink calling himself Sturgeon's Law on the free app :wink:

I think the low scores are mainly folks who want a mini-DAW for $2.00. Also, on about half of the multitrack demos I recorded before the last update, there were minor sync issues, the others, not,. That seems to have been addressed in the latest version but was never a deal-breaker for me for the sheer convenience of adding a pocket Tascam to a device I always have with me to capture song ideas.

The beauty of this app is a) @JohnnyGoodyear METRONOME w/ count in, b) four tracks and only one control for each - volume, and c) just one tap and you're recording, which comes in handy when the family is in the garage waiting in the car and you have to run out on the back deck to hum that guaranteed number one hit melody line before the ride commences and it is lost forever :smile:

• Good point about a metronome. That's lacking in AudioShare (but not in AUM).

• @wim said:
    Good point about a metronome. That's lacking in AudioShare (but not in AUM).

Four recording tracks available in one tap is a nice bonus. But I would not recommend it for serious recording. I agree AUM would be better if you are setting up to record final tracks. MTSR is no miniDAW. It's a pocket Tascam 4 track for 2 bucks :wink:

• Set up a template in AUM for quick recording and you can have a metronome and count-in.

• @eustressor said:

@gkillmaster said:

@eustressor said:

Oh, great to know about this one. Just picked it up. Thanks for the tip.

• edited February 2017

@syrupcore said:

@ToMess said:

@gkillmaster said:

@philowerx said:
    AUM

Plus you can transparently access AUM recordings in audioshare

Or just to dropbox, google drive or something like documents 5. I dont personally use audioshare. Always found a way around not needing it.

Edit. Or wait. You meant that you can access the files without having to export them to audioshare?

• @ToMess said:
    Edit. Or wait. You meant that you can access the files without having to export them to audioshare?

Yes, shared document space.

• edited February 2017

@richardyot said:

@ToMess said:

Yes, shared document space.

Oh, thats really cool. Didnt know it was possible to do that on ios.

Would be cool if audioshare would make it possible for apps from other developers to save their files on that same document space as well. And ofc that those other apps would go with it. Like some sort of standard music space thing, sorta like how ableton created a standard for their link.