Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auria Pro v2.09 Approved WITH FabFilter Pro-R Reverb IAP!

Comments

• Now I also have updated Auria Pro, and, bought Fabfilter Pro-R...

WTF! This piece of plugin in Auria is incredible good! World class!

There's several other reverbs on iOS that is really good (especially Virsyn AudioReverb), but, Fabfilters Pro-R takes everything to a new level on iOS!

Stongly reccomend it!

• Man, there's some great reverb sounds to be had on the Virsyn AudioReverb, the convolution reverbs are great with the right IR files and although it has gotten a bit of a bad rap for being too icy & shrill up top I still dig the DDMF Envelope reverb.

But I can't find one preset or any of the twiddling I've done tonight that makes Pro-R sound bad, or fake or too "reverb app" like.

The only thing I can compare it to was in college going to the Palms studio and getting to hear the then state of the art Waves plugins and then later a friend bought the Abbey Road Plate reverb plugin and it was fantastic.

But just putting on my Sony MDR-7506's which I know very well, putting up NeoSoul Keys, some good 24 bit hi quality drum samples and then my DI Strat into BIAS with just a a preampy Fender Champ type clean tone, dry as a bone, I've laughed my self to watery eyes at the unbelievable tails and depths this reverb has.

You can HEAR the placement knob work, bringing the source back & forth! The EQ capabilities are astounding. No more bussing out reverbs to shape them with EQ when using Pro-R. It can make warm dark chambers or spiky tile rooms and everything in between.

The ONLY quibble is it's a resource eater but I knew that going in. I've read that on standard, nicely powered desktop rigs these FabFilter plugs can get greedy, so I was okay with it. Still with just say Bram Bros Phasemaker in one channel with just the Pro-R with record ready, no playbacks or multiple sources, the CPU was steady at 15 to 20% on my Air 2.

I was accustomed to "freezing" tracks before it was even called that. It was more a "printing effects" type of deal. This reverb is going to need to be printed or "freezed" if multiple instances in a project is desired. Aside from that I can honestly say that the $40 was a gimme, total bargain because it's that good.

Thanks to WaveMachine, Rim and the FabFilter engineers for getting us in the iOS music production community and especially the Auria user community a genuinely professional reverb plug that may be the only reverb an iOS studio needs if using Auria only.

Be cool...

• edited February 2017

While there aren't really very good high quality reverb for iOS i think Fabfilter Pro-R (tested the desktop version) might be the best yet for iOS. Worth the price for sure, especially compared to the desktop version.
    It lacks a bit for those extremly large and experimental sound designs but if you need a high quality, transparent and tweakable reverb you want it :#

• Well, I have a new fav reverb. It's gorgeous. Main problem is not slapping it on everything. Everything from real tight and light to ridiculously airy and huge. It's a CPU monster, right up there with pro mb. But lots of track freezing, as I normally do.

• @JRSIV said:
    Man, there's some great reverb sounds to be had on the Virsyn AudioReverb, the convolution reverbs are great with the right IR files and although it has gotten a bit of a bad rap for being too icy & shrill up top I still dig the DDMF Envelope reverb.

But I can't find one preset or any of the twiddling I've done tonight that makes Pro-R sound bad, or fake or too "reverb app" like.

The only thing I can compare it to was in college going to the Palms studio and getting to hear the then state of the art Waves plugins and then later a friend bought the Abbey Road Plate reverb plugin and it was fantastic.

But just putting on my Sony MDR-7506's which I know very well, putting up NeoSoul Keys, some good 24 bit hi quality drum samples and then my DI Strat into BIAS with just a a preampy Fender Champ type clean tone, dry as a bone, I've laughed my self to watery eyes at the unbelievable tails and depths this reverb has.

You can HEAR the placement knob work, bringing the source back & forth! The EQ capabilities are astounding. No more bussing out reverbs to shape them with EQ when using Pro-R. It can make warm dark chambers or spiky tile rooms and everything in between.

The ONLY quibble is it's a resource eater but I knew that going in. I've read that on standard, nicely powered desktop rigs these FabFilter plugs can get greedy, so I was okay with it. Still with just say Bram Bros Phasemaker in one channel with just the Pro-R with record ready, no playbacks or multiple sources, the CPU was steady at 15 to 20% on my Air 2.

I was accustomed to "freezing" tracks before it was even called that. It was more a "printing effects" type of deal. This reverb is going to need to be printed or "freezed" if multiple instances in a project is desired. Aside from that I can honestly say that the $40 was a gimme, total bargain because it's that good.

Thanks to WaveMachine, Rim and the FabFilter engineers for getting us in the iOS music production community and especially the Auria user community a genuinely professional reverb plug that may be the only reverb an iOS studio needs if using Auria only.

Be cool...

Bastard. I'm going to teach my son to use this, he'll have to do something, and Lord knows there won't be any money left to send him to college...

• Well I just might have to define myself with what I consume. Hopefully I'll create something worthy too

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JRSIV said:
    Man, there's some great reverb sounds to be had on the Virsyn AudioReverb, the convolution reverbs are great with the right IR files and although it has gotten a bit of a bad rap for being too icy & shrill up top I still dig the DDMF Envelope reverb.

Be cool...

Bastard. I'm going to teach my son to use this, he'll have to do something, and Lord knows there won't be any money left to send him to college...

LOL!!!

Hey Johnny I'm going to be drinking store brand soda & eating toast and mac & chee till Monday because I spent my "expendable" dough on the damn thing. I had to.

Get your boy in there, teach the power of great reverb! It shall feed him!!

• edited February 2017

Auria Pro needs to have a better sampler like what's found on Cubasis, Caustic and BM2. The Lyra sampler is too basic for my liking. If it had a better more versatile sampler I would use Auria Pro because it does have very good effect plugins even though they are quite expensive for iOS.

• I was beta testing Pro R and it's very nice. Best thing about it are the dual EQ curves: the blue curve at the top let's you shape the tonality of the space itself, so if you want the highs to be attenuated (as if they are being absorbed by carpets/curtains etc) just shape the curve accordingly, and the yellow curve adds some additional post-EQ - so you can really fine tune the sound.

I've been able to run multiple instances of it OK on my Air 2, but I usually set the buffer as high as possible when mixing.

It's a nice sounding reverb that sounds quite subtle and not overly digital to my ears.

• For those who are curious or on the fence I will post some demos later.

• Beautiful but it pushes my IPad 4 out of the limits. Do you know if it is possible to have a buffer bigger than 512 on this kind of machine ?

• @cuscolima said:
    Beautiful but it pushes my IPad 4 out of the limits. Do you know if it is possible to have a buffer bigger than 512 on this kind of machine ?

Yes, freeze or bounce your MIDI tracks to audio and you can set the buffer to 4096.

• @richardyot said:

@cuscolima said:
    Beautiful but it pushes my IPad 4 out of the limits. Do you know if it is possible to have a buffer bigger than 512 on this kind of machine ?

Yes, freeze or bounce your MIDI tracks to audio and you can set the buffer to 4096.

Great, thanks!!

• @cuscolima said:

@richardyot said:

@cuscolima said:

Great, thanks!!

Just remember as well, that if you do that, and you then add another midi track, it will set itself to 512 again, as that is the highest buffer allowed in iOS when using midi. This means you might have to turn a couple of things off (which require 4096 to not crackle) whilst adding that new midi, then rince-repeat with the freezing/bouncing and setting buffer to higher again.

• @kgmessier said:

@supanorton said:
    …we had a good bit of snow today.

Boston area, per chance?

I'm about 20 minutes north of New York City. We got about a foot of snow. How much did you get?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

Rock stars don't need a college education.

• @supanorton said:

@kgmessier said:

@supanorton said:
    …we had a good bit of snow today.

Boston area, per chance?

I'm about 20 minutes north of New York City. We got about a foot of snow. How much did you get?

Not sure of the actual total, but it looks to be around 8"–10". I'm half an hour south of Boston.

More on the way!

• So here are some tests and comparisons, using a very simple piano and drum phrase and medium to large spaces selected from Presets of the 3 reverbs:

Dry Phrase

Pro R Default Setting

Pro R Piano Room Large

Pro R Concert Hall Vienna

Virsyn AudioReverb Acoustic Hall

Virsyn AudioReverb Ballad Hall

DDMF Envelope Concert Hall

DDMF Envelope Piano Hall 1

A couple of notes: the interactive EQ curves allow for some very precise fine-tuning of the Reverb sound, and are much more intuitive to use than the myriad of dials that one finds on the typical reverb UI. You can also do some pretty nifty sound design and create weird artificial reverbs such as this one:

Which sounds like this:

Pro R Scooped Sparkly Space

All in all this is a pretty unique and powerful reverb IMO.

• edited February 2017

I will never play outside of Auria again. Even for just jamming, gonna load up an audio or midi with dat reverb. It is what iOS was missing.

• Oh, and here is at tip I got from @MusicInclusive on the beta, if you add a point to one of the EQ curves, you are most likely going to want to adjust the Q (width). The gestures to do this are not easily discovered:

Double-tap on a point to adjust the Q curve

Alternatively (this might even be a bit easier) use one finger to hold the point, then place two other fingers down on the screen somewhere else, and with the first finger on the point adjust the curve.

• Nice Pro-R tutorial:

• edited February 2017

@richardyot said:
    So here are some tests and comparisons, using a very simple piano and drum phrase and medium to large spaces selected from Presets of the 3 reverbs:

Dry Phrase

Pro R Default Setting

Pro R Piano Room Large

A couple of notes: the interactive EQ curves allow for some very precise fine-tuning of the Reverb sound, and are much more intuitive to use than the myriad of dials that one finds on the typical reverb UI. You can also do some pretty nifty sound design and create weird artificial reverbs such as this one:

Which sounds like this:

Thanks for all your work here. Ddmf and especially Virsyns' reverb still sounds very very good. Is there really any clear winner here?

• Slightly dumb question... Regarding updating, since my install was a regular Auria stall that I upgraded to Pro, in the past I've had to update the plain Auria, then update again to Pro. And then update purchases to get my IAP stuff back.

This time I only updated Auria once, then restored purchases. Seems to be updated completely, but how can I be sure that I've got a full Pro install since I didn't have to go through one of the steps this time?

And where's this new spectrum feature? Is that included in the update?

• @skiphunt said:
    Slightly dumb question... Regarding updating, since my install was a regular Auria stall that I upgraded to Pro, in the past I've had to update the plain Auria, then update again to Pro. And then update purchases to get my IAP stuff back.

This time I only updated Auria once, then restored purchases. Seems to be updated completely, but how can I be sure that I've got a full Pro install since I didn't have to go through one of the steps this time?

Spectrum grab is in pro-Q2 if you have it.

• @Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:
    Slightly dumb question... Regarding updating, since my install was a regular Auria stall that I upgraded to Pro, in the past I've had to update the plain Auria, then update again to Pro. And then update purchases to get my IAP stuff back.

Spectrum grab is in pro-Q2 if you have it.

Cool. Thx. I've got it. Just wanted to know where to look. :)

• @skiphunt said:

If you have MIDI and bus sends then you have Pro installed.

• @Arpseechord said:

@richardyot said:
    So here are some tests and comparisons, using a very simple piano and drum phrase and medium to large spaces selected from Presets of the 3 reverbs:

Dry Phrase

Pro R Default Setting

Pro R Piano Room Large

Which sounds like this:

Thanks for all your work here. Ddmf and especially Virsyns' reverb still sounds very very good. Is there really any clear winner here?

Clear winner - not sure. Personally I prefer Pro R and the Virsyn to DDMF, but I agree that the Virsyn is really good, maybe even a tad more lush sounding than Pro R.

If you're an Auria user then Pro R is going to be far more practical because you will be able to run more instances of the native Pro R compared to any AU (more CPU efficient and can run at higher latencies), and Pro R is also extremely easy to tweak and very versatile.

• @richardyot said:
    If you're an Auria user then Pro R is going to be far more practical because you will be able to run more instances of the native Pro R compared to any AU (more CPU efficient and can run at higher latencies), and Pro R is also extremely easy to tweak and very versatile.

Not to mention how effing gorgeous FabFilter plug-ins are.

Thanks for posting these comparisons, Richard!

• @richardyot said:

@Arpseechord said:

@richardyot said:

Dry Phrase

Pro R Default Setting

Pro R Piano Room Large

Which sounds like this:

Clear winner - not sure. Personally I prefer Pro R and the Virsyn to DDMF, but I agree that the Virsyn is really good, maybe even a tad more lush sounding than Pro R.

Thanks very much for your insight

• edited February 2017

yeah, thx, richardyot
    also must say that I found the Virsyn Reverb quite good as it sounded there
    surely will grab the Pro R too (as soon as a sale comes up)