Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Suggestions for songwriting apps!

Someone mentioned in another thread regarding Chords an app called Chord by Thomas Grapperon
which looks interesting got me thinking about Songwriting in general.

I have no experience in songwriting or music theory and I don't mind having more than one app for the songwriting process if it makes things any easier.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• I'm not sure if you're looking for something educational or generative.

It's been pulled from the App Store, but Firo (Fiddlewax Pro) seems like the type of app you're looking for. Check out the description: http://appshopper.com/music/fiddlewax-pro

It might also be helpful to mention if there is a particular area of songwriting you're interested in -- beats, melodies, lyrics, etc.

• @telecharge I would say a bit of both hopefully something that's not too hard to grasp. Thanks for the firo suggestion but I cannot find it on the uk App Store

I think I've got basic beat making covered but would like something that can help me with lyrics

@Kranick thanks for the suggesting Hooktheory, it looks good but way over my head :smile: and also there is a Hooktheory 2 do you know if that is an updated app or a follow up with different things in it!

• Infinite Looper by @SecretBaseDesign is great to compose music. I hope one day it will be upgraded with more functionalities to better structure a song. For example, in the song edit mode I really would like to be able to define "zones" I can named as "intro", "chorus", etc and have possibilities to move a zone, edit, etc. At the end, it could have some patterns (ABCBA, ...) with some popular (or not) structure. This would be the big cherry on the cake for an already beautiful app

• Hook Theory 2 is a follow up with extra stuff in it like secondary chords and 7th chords.

• @cuscolima Thanks I have Infinite Looper and it's great thanks but I'm after something more for lyrics and song structure.

Thanks @BiancaNeve is Hooktheory ok for someone with no music theory knowledge? It looks pretty deep

Has anyone tried Songwriter's Pad™ - Songwriting App for iPad by Paragoni, LLC
    https://appsto.re/gb/7CkQw.i And or Chord! - Guitar Songbook, Chords and Scales by Thomas Grapperon
    https://appsto.re/gb/E-vkK.i

• For lyrics there is this
    Creative Writer - Fun! Easy! Write! - Ideas for Writing and Texting - Flow of Words, Poetry and Lyrics efter RESONANCA IT D.O.O.
    https://appsto.re/dk/q5A9R.i

There are iap' to unlock ekstra suggestions. Haven't tried it a lot.

• @Jakersjaw and @pierre both these apps look good and can be used for more than songwriting.. thanks I will give both a try.

• @Sbee I have the book rather than the app but it starts off pretty simple and gradually gets quite complicated. But there's lots of work through examples and pop quizzes to keep you on track.

• @cuscolima said:
    Infinite Looper by @SecretBaseDesign is great to compose music. I hope one day it will be upgraded with more functionalities to better structure a song. For example, in the song edit mode I really would like to be able to define "zones" I can named as "intro", "chorus", etc and have possibilities to move a zone, edit, etc. At the end, it could have some patterns (ABCBA, ...) with some popular (or not) structure. This would be the big cherry on the cake for an already beautiful app

I give another vote for Infinite Looper and like your ideas for more functionalities

• @Arpseechord said:

@cuscolima said:
    Infinite Looper by @SecretBaseDesign is great to compose music. I hope one day it will be upgraded with more functionalities to better structure a song. For example, in the song edit mode I really would like to be able to define "zones" I can named as "intro", "chorus", etc and have possibilities to move a zone, edit, etc. At the end, it could have some patterns (ABCBA, ...) with some popular (or not) structure. This would be the big cherry on the cake for an already beautiful app

I give another vote for Infinite Looper and like your ideas for more functionalities

You can do some of this now -- on the arranger tab, select a section, and then tap "edit section" to open up a dialog so that you can rename it. If you want to have a second chorus, just select the section for the first chorus, and then tap "add section" -- and you'll have a second copy. If you want to change the loops associated with a section, select the section in the arranger, toggle on and off the loops you want, and then hit "edit section" -- the "update loops" button on the dialog will change the loops for the section to whatever is currently enabled.

"Edit arrangement" will switch the list so that you can reorder things. I normally figure out a verse set of loops, a chorus set of loops, and then duplicate and drag stuff around to get the arrangement.

The text editor that's built in is pretty bare bones, though.

• @SecretBaseDesign said:

@Arpseechord said:

@cuscolima said:

You can do some of this now -- on the arranger tab, select a section, and then tap "edit section" to open up a dialog so that you can rename it. If you want to have a second chorus, just select the section for the first chorus, and then tap "add section" -- and you'll have a second copy. If you want to change the loops associated with a section, select the section in the arranger, toggle on and off the loops you want, and then hit "edit section" -- the "update loops" button on the dialog will change the loops for the section to whatever is currently enabled.

"Edit arrangement" will switch the list so that you can reorder things. I normally figure out a verse set of loops, a chorus set of loops, and then duplicate and drag stuff around to get the arrangement.

The text editor that's built in is pretty bare bones, though.

Thanks for all this!!! Will be extensively checking this out immediately. Sort of been sidetracked lately and need to return to Infinite Looper goodness

• Take a look at GuideTrack. It allows you to sketch out your chord progression with placeholder drum and bass tracks. Handy for getting ideas recorded.

• Tin Pan Rhythm by Tin Pan
    https://appsto.re/us/VH0B5.i

A well-thought out app that compels me to write songs I normally would not. Can't speak highly enough about it :smile:

• @technemedia Guide Track looks great

@eustressor tin pan looks good too and free at the moment I'm going to give a try later

Thanks all!

• I was looking for something similar last week and purchased "youcompose" .
    You can record a melody on the first track using a midi keyboard or the piano roll and it will auto generate notes for the other 3 tracks in scale with the first track. Still discovering this app, but it works great so far.

YouCompose' van Elstar
    https://appsto.re/nl/U31iP.i

• I can second Guide Trak. Also check out Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro Music Theory App by mdecks. Lyrics chord substitution, analysis, and theory. Watch their vids on youtube

• @eustressor said:
    Tin Pan Rhythm by Tin Pan
    https://appsto.re/us/VH0B5.i

A well-thought out app that compels me to write songs I normally would not. Can't speak highly enough about it :smile:

+1

• Chordbot is a must have also, btw is it 64bit?

• @proto you compose looks like the ticket it's on my wish list with all the others whilst I evaluate which ones to get thanks.

@pierre I already have ChordPolyPad, is there anything I'm missing by not having chordbot?. Thanks

• @sbee Chordbot has lots of styles and is great auto accompaniment.

• @audiblevideo thanks I just tried Chordbot lite and it seems like a great app but I think it may be 32bit because of the slowdown notification and it has not been updated since 2014!

• Great recommendation! Just downloaded it and wrote some lyrics - it's a great way to generate ideas without actually spoon-feeding you, just seeing that word salad seemed to spark off all sorts of interesting associations.

In the end the finished article bore no resemblance to the suggested words, and was definitely my own, but the process was a lot less painful than staring at a blank page.

• @richardyot said:

Great recommendation! Just downloaded it and wrote some lyrics - it's a great way to generate ideas without actually spoon-feeding you, just seeing that word salad seemed to spark off all sorts of interesting associations.

In the end the finished article bore no resemblance to the suggested words, and was definitely my own, but the process was a lot less painful than staring at a blank page.

No, no, no, no....as the man said, you must learn to love the white page, you stare at it until the blood leaks down your wrist.

• edited February 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear I need to be spoon fed first then I can learn to feed myself