Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KORG NanoKontrol Studio's first review isn't stellar.

Comments

• @TGiG said:
    Dude, I feel your pain @gburks and I don't even have the NKStudio. I'm frusterated for you!
    Good luck!

Yeah it half-way works correctly in this frustrating teaser sort of way. Before Gadget 2.1, play button and faders worked. Now I get loop cycle and record, but I have a feeling there is more "Native Mode" functionality hiding behind this firmware upgrade.

• Korg says: It's a bug in Gadget, ignore the alert box.

• i got this specifically for use with auria pro. i have an ipad pro and use the usb 3 dongle that has the usb port and lightning port for power pass through. the power cable is the usb to c and i have a 29w mac power adapter.

according to auria's manual, the nanokontrol needs to be setup in "logic mode" to be compatible with auria.

in the nanokontrol manual, you need to download the "garageband/logic" control surface plugin to set the nanokontrol up for logic, and i am PC only, so i will have to take it into the job where there are many macs and see if i can setup the thing that way.

i have aum and other apps but purchased this (and the nanokey--still a pre order at this point) solely for the ipad pro and auria pro.

it comes with a free bundle package of software (gadget and other apps) that you have to download form korg with the included key that shipped with the unit.

im a hardware only guy and dont use computers for music production . its a nice unit and if i can get it to play with auria, its a keeper....

• @JP-08 said:
    according to auria's manual, the nanokontrol needs to be setup in "logic mode" to be compatible with auria.

I'm certain the Auria manual makes no mention of NanoKontrol at all ;) Your best bet is to configure Auria for Mackie HUI mode and configure the NanoKontrol for ProTools mode.

in the nanokontrol manual, you need to download the "garageband/logic" control surface plugin to set the nanokontrol up for logic, and i am PC only, so i will have to take it into the job where there are many macs and see if i can setup the thing that way.

I've not re-checked the NanoKontrol Studio manual recently but I have read it before and I was under the impression that (as with the NanoKontrol2) you can set it to ProTools mode by holding down a specific key combination while powering it up.

• hi,

appreciate your response.

• Follow up.

(thanks Washboy for the nod about the pro tools template. i could not confirm your recommendation until i got a powered hub, as i will try to explain. i also cross posted this on the auria forums since i am specifically using this for auria pro)

Apparently the Korg needs a bit more power than the usb3 dongle with the charging lightning port can provide. i had a pickle of a time trying to get the korg to be recognized. it powered up a few times (i would disconnect to plug it to the editor then plug it back to the dongle) but then it just would not power up anymore.

got a powered hub and now the korg turns on each and every time, so it seems the new apple usb3 dongle with usb port and lighting port does not provide enough current for both the ipad pro and the korg. and i used the 29w mac power brick with the usb to c lightning cable (1meter).

thanks to the above advice, i set the korg into pro tools mode and it worked reasonably well.
    i fired up the heartbeats spong and tested the korg.

faders work
    mute/solo/record work. those buttons also light up when they are activated.
    "Select" was not working. i am not sure what it could be used for in auria pro
    pan knobs work
    transport (<< ,>>) buttons work.

you can cycle through 8 channels of tracks with the "TRACK" buttons (< , > ) eg. 1-8 , 9-16, etc. there is no visual feedback from the korg or on screen to show which 8 tracks the korg is controlling. you just have to keep count how many times you press those "TRACK" buttons. I mean you could press a mute or move a fader, etc to see a visual cue that way.

the job wheel works the same way the ffw/rew buttons do. if you move it one click to the right, the timeline scrolls continuous, same in reverse. if you click the jog wheel forward 2 or more times it jumps to the end, and jumps to the top if you do this counterclockwise.

i wish there was a way to have the jog wheel "jog" the timeline when you are rotating the wheel and STOP when you let it go, but i have yet to find a setting in the korg editor that will allow this to work, and i think based on what Mr. Rim has stated, auria pro cant take advantage of this, so if you use the jog wheel you can just let it scroll and then hit stop or press play to stop it.

still waiting for the kontrol key to show up (pre order) so will test it as well.

• @JP-08 thanks for the write but, if I may ask, why get the NKSTUDIO (as opposed to the 1/3 of the price NKII) if your not going to use BTLE?

• Now that I know it works with Auria, I have let my wife know this is what I want for my surprise birthday gift. : )
    I'm going to take a gamble that this product will get better over time.

I have four knobs on my MIDI controller. Really looking forward to having 8 more. I'm also looking forward to be able to mix anywhere I want to sit in the room, while my iPad is hooked up to my speakers.

Although the iOS software it comes with is already free (Gadget LE, Module LE) it appears to come with a pretty nice package of Mac/Windows software, including M1 Le, UVI Digital Synsations, AAS Ultra Analog Session, AAS Strum Session, AAS Lounge Lizard Session. Reason LE and a $50 discount coupon for Ableton.

However , I have my doubts. As some of the above synths have free or demo versions, I have my concerns about whether they are actually giving anything away... The "free" stuff from iOS would suggest maybe not.

I did play with the demo version of Strum Session and it was a lot of fun. It would be great if I could actually get this app.

korg.com/us/products/controllers/nanokontrol_studio/

• @TGiG said:
    @JP-08 thanks for the write but, if I may ask, why get the NKSTUDIO (as opposed to the 1/3 of the price NKII) if your not going to use BTLE?

because im a gear slut and an early adopter of tech gadgets. its an illness...

• @JP-08 said:

@TGiG said:
    @JP-08 thanks for the write but, if I may ask, why get the NKSTUDIO (as opposed to the 1/3 of the price NKII) if your not going to use BTLE?

because im a gear slut and an early adopter of tech gadgets. its an illness...

Ha, I hear ya! I'm one too

• @Condorman said:

@gburks said:
    @Condorman great to hear it works with Gadgets faders. Weird, because Korg just told me on their Facebook page that it wouldn't do that:

Me:
    The nanoKontrol Studio is out now, and I want to buy it but I'd like confirmation that it will be able to control Gadget's mixer.

Korg:
    Currently, there is no feature in Gadget to control the mixer or transport.

Yep out of the box. I believe it ships with the Cubase Mackie HUI as default. Last night I threw it into assignable mode and messed with AUM with apps through audiobus. Had to load Gadget into one of the spots to get it to connect Bluetooth. MIDI learned the faders in AUM. The mute and solo do not appear to latch out of the box so I'm sure I'll have to edit those somehow.

Did any of you guys get the Korg Nanostudio to work with AUM mute and solo buttons? I tried one at a local music store a couple of weeks ago with my iPad Pro, and it worked great for Kort Gadget, but as noted above, the Mute and Solo buttons did not seem to "latch" in AUM :(

I would love to buy one for using with AUM as a Live Reggae/Dub mixer, but really need the Solo/Mute buttons to work.

My apologies if this has already been answered, couldn't find any examples.

• @roygbiv said:

@Condorman said:

@gburks said:
    @Condorman great to hear it works with Gadgets faders. Weird, because Korg just told me on their Facebook page that it wouldn't do that:

Me:
    The nanoKontrol Studio is out now, and I want to buy it but I'd like confirmation that it will be able to control Gadget's mixer.

Korg:
    Currently, there is no feature in Gadget to control the mixer or transport.

Yep out of the box. I believe it ships with the Cubase Mackie HUI as default. Last night I threw it into assignable mode and messed with AUM with apps through audiobus. Had to load Gadget into one of the spots to get it to connect Bluetooth. MIDI learned the faders in AUM. The mute and solo do not appear to latch out of the box so I'm sure I'll have to edit those somehow.

Did any of you guys get the Korg Nanostudio to work with AUM mute and solo buttons? I tried one at a local music store a couple of weeks ago with my iPad Pro, and it worked great for Kort Gadget, but as noted above, the Mute and Solo buttons did not seem to "latch" in AUM :(

I would love to buy one for using with AUM as a Live Reggae/Dub mixer, but really need the Solo/Mute buttons to work.

My apologies if this has already been answered, couldn't find any examples.

Yes I had to connect the Nano to the PC editor and edit one of the stock templates to put mutes and solos into latch mode. Now it works great with AUM.

• Fantastic! Thanks very much Condorman

• Anyone tried the native support in the new gadget update?

• i'm also intersted to read some more about using it in gadget (in native mode).Everybody happ?I try to decide if i want this instead the Nanokey Studio.Or both.Or none :)

• I'll say that Nanokey Studio works amazingly well with the IPad. It foes not work at all on Windows 10. Drivers unrecognized, tried to install everything according to what the manual said. Admittedly I think the drivers and software were intended for Windows 7.

• @syrupcore said:
    Seems like the ultimate desktop Loopy controller.

>

It's good! :)

• @SpookyZoo said:

@syrupcore said:

>

:+1:

• I've got the same controller and use Loopy all the time. Might try something like that!

• @SpookyZoo said:

@syrupcore said:

>

You must have tiny feet :tongue:

• @Munibeast said:

You must have tiny feet :tongue:

Haha. Good one! :)

• edited February 2017

Seriously, my current project is to turn one of these into a foot controller with 25 switches and 2 expression pedals. It ain't easy especially since they made all the contacts even tinier than before. But when it's done I think I'll have one awesome BT pedal :smiley:

• @Munibeast said:
    Seriously, my current project is to turn one of these into a foot controller with 25 switches and 2 expression pedals. It ain't easy especially since they made all the contacts even tinier than before. But when it's done I think I'll have one awesome BT pedal :smiley:

Now that sounds like a project!

Keep us updated with progress pics. :)

• edited February 2017

@SpookyZoo said:

@Munibeast said:

Now that sounds like a project!

Keep us updated with progress pics. :)

Yes, please. What are you aiming to control with this monster?

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Do I take it from that review that a computer editor is needed? Will be crossed off my list for use with an iPad if it needs a computer to get the most out of it.

Korg have updated the Kontrol Editor program to work with Nano Key and Kontrol studio, don't know if you need to use it to get up and running, but you will if you want to customise the settings

Honestly, the editor is really nice.

Not anything positive to say after that.

• @RustiK said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Do I take it from that review that a computer editor is needed? Will be crossed off my list for use with an iPad if it needs a computer to get the most out of it.

Korg have updated the Kontrol Editor program to work with Nano Key and Kontrol studio, don't know if you need to use it to get up and running, but you will if you want to customise the settings

>
    With my short investigation of the editor I've found it a little frustrating.

I couldn't find a way to 'bulk' change the midi channel of All controls.

Have I missed it somewhere?

• @SpookyZoo said:

@RustiK said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

>

On the NanoKontrol2 there is a Global channel which you can use or you can also specify specific channels for individual controls....I think the studios work the same ?
    Set all controls to use the Global Channel, and then change the global channel when you want to change the midi channel for all controls.
    I am not sure if you can save a different Global channel per scene or not, and I don't think you can change the global channel on the unit itself...maybe there is a CC or sysex you can send it to change the Global Channel when needed.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@RustiK said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

>

Nope.

1 by 1 by 1.

The problem is this.

First, let me say that this problem deserves a larger discussion regarding other company MIDI device programs.

The editor is tedious and is seemingly over ridden by any "Nano" enabled Korg apps. Superseding the programming you have done and resorting to the Korg defaults. Which are less that helpful since they eliminated the prior "scene" system of the first gen Nano Kontrols.

It is all just a pain in the ass to be blunt.

My solution is this, like everything for me at this point.

Just buy Novation gear for my ios work station.

Novation has made the MIDI game for ios easiest for my workflow and brain.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@RustiK said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

>

On the NanoKontrol2 there is a Global channel which you can use or you can also specify specific channels for individual controls....I think the studios work the same ?
    Set all controls to use the Global Channel, and then change the global channel when you want to change the midi channel for all controls.
    I am not sure if you can save a different Global channel per scene or not, and I don't think you can change the global channel on the unit itself...maybe there is a CC or sysex you can send it to change the Global Channel when needed.

Do you like the N2?

• edited February 2017

@RustiK said:

The editor is tedious and is seemingly over ridden by any "Nano" enabled Korg apps. Superseding the programming you have done and resorting to the Korg defaults. Which are less that helpful since they eliminated the prior "scene" system of the first gen Nano Kontrols.

I noticed this too when launching gadget that the scenes I had just set up in the editor weren't available anymore and over ridden by the native gadget mode. This really sucks and should be fixed by Korg asap! It makes the NanoKontrol Studio unusable with any of their native mode enabled apps if you want to have your own layout. For now it means I won't use those apps with the controller :-1: