Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Infinite Looper/Aleph Looper 2.1 update -- more loops, Launchpad, and MIDI fixes! And morestickers!

Comments

• @Arpseechord said:
    Novice question here. I was just wondering if its posible to use one app for all instrument slots. For example I'd like to try using only iSymphonic but when I connect with IAA there is only one icon for iSymphonic yet more icon for other apps. Sensual sax has three icons...one an instrument and two as a generator. Some apps like Thumbjam have many icons...does that mean Thumbjam can fill all instrument slots in Infinite Looper?

Yes -- a little tricky, but do-able (at least with Thumbjam).
    TJ has one "instrument" IAA node, and that can receive MIDI directly. If you set up the TJ "input channel start" to be something other than omni, it will assign incoming MIDI to the different slots (I would start with 1, and then you've got MIDI channels 2, 3, 4, ... available).

You can then host the ThumbJam generators in other Infinite Looper tracks -- slot 2 seems to get mapped to channel 2, 3 to 3, and so on.

On my list-of-things-to-do is support for AU3, which will make life much much much better, but we're not there yet.

• @SecretBaseDesign said:

@Arpseechord said:
    Novice question here. I was just wondering if its posible to use one app for all instrument slots. For example I'd like to try using only iSymphonic but when I connect with IAA there is only one icon for iSymphonic yet more icon for other apps. Sensual sax has three icons...one an instrument and two as a generator. Some apps like Thumbjam have many icons...does that mean Thumbjam can fill all instrument slots in Infinite Looper?

TJ has one "instrument" IAA node, and that can receive MIDI directly. If you set up the TJ "input channel start" to be something other than omni, it will assign incoming MIDI to the different slots (I would start with 1, and then you've got MIDI channels 2, 3, 4, ... available).

You can then host the ThumbJam generators in other Infinite Looper tracks -- slot 2 seems to get mapped to channel 2, 3 to 3, and so on.

On my list-of-things-to-do is support for AU3, which will make life much much much better, but we're not there yet.

We're standing out in the yard silently cheering you on (but not in a creepy way).

@Arpseechord said:

Ah yes thanks for the explanation. I was just wondering but don't sweat it! This is such an amazing application any forthcoming updates are++++++
    Haven't tried triggering notes with my guitars but looking forward to that
    Constantly surprised how music scenarios unfold withn this
    Thanks for your efforts, much appreciated

• I like recording ReSlice arp combos into different loops until I find good progressions. I imagine this will only get easier in future.

• @aaronpc said:
    I like recording ReSlice arp combos into different loops until I find good progressions. I imagine this will only get easier in future.

Nice idea, will try once recovered from imminent sleep injection etc.

@Korakios said:

Another crucial FR: An option to disable Midi-thru (it is always on) since it makes it impossible to write from external hardware or app. In some cases it can cause feedback.

I'll add some code to toggle interfaces on and off -- short term, if you tap the gear icon, and go to the MIDI learn tab, you can select which MIDI channel Infinite Looper responds to (by default, omni). Switch thing so that it only listens to the MIDI channels you want for your hardware controls. Outgoing MIDI is mapped to whatever channel you set up for each of the MIDI destinations for the track.

That would be nice ,but I also route the output back to the instrument (the same channel) to keep the loop (notes&CC) going on . Maybe on a later version you could add an option to disable midi thru , and send only midi data stored in the loop :)
    BTW thank you for the excellent feedback!

• Version 2.1 of Infinite/Aleph should be rolling out to the servers now. New in this version is support for the Launchpad (you can toggle loops on/off with it -- more functionality soon), you can add more loops to each track, and I've fixed the MIDI import so that it should work with files that come from Chordbot, iRealB, etc..

Because FAWM is coming up, I've put the apps on sale -- $15 for Infinite, $3 for Aleph, and the bundle is $15, so you can upgrade easy.

And because I burned through the first batch of stickers, I ordered some more (first run was actually Aleph, this run is the inverse, with Infinite). If you didn't get stickers the first time around, send me your address, and I'll drop some in the mail to you.

• edited January 2017

Just updated and thanks for all your hard work, much appreciated!

• You know the old stickers will be prized as way more hardcore in the long run even if we felt at the time like all 'wow so we were fobbed of with those old stickers then...' Just sayin'.

• I'm very much digging this app since the recent update! I don't know why but I tried recording a loop with Alina SE loaded in and couldn't get the loop to be audible, although Alina received the notes while recording them through IL. Alina is set to Omni. Is this a bug or am I missing something? And one more thing: it would be nice to be able to stop the play head immediately instead of playing until the end of the loops. For live performance... Also undo would be great!

• +1 for stopping immediately. Maybe double tapping the stop button .
    + 1000 for the undo button

Now midi CC works fine. There is a small bug that when you draw a line ,the left one disappears...
    It didn't stoped me from modulating Turnado ,I'll try every app that supports midi CC!. Thank you mr. @SecretBaseDesign

• And here I thought it was an Infinity sticker all this time. What a sucker. I'll have my SASE out forthwith.

• Keeps getting more and more AWESOME.

@Korakios said:

PS. I know I mentioned earlier , but setting the number of bars for recording is an unnecessary step.It should record infinitely (like the name!) and stop recording&start looping per choice.

The next update (well, maybe the one after the next -- this feature has been getting worked on for a while, and is taking longer than expected) will have a "groove" mode, where things will loop along, and recording will drop into new loops as you go -- sort of like "take folders" that you would see in Logic. Play around, and then go back and grab the pieces you like. I hope to have this done in the next month or two....

Very cool! None of the other midi sequencers just let the tape roll. It's nice, when you have a part you are playing, to be able to record it, without counting out how many measures it is.

• How's the launchpad meant to work? I was expecting it to launch clips but it just seems to play midi notes.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    How's the launchpad meant to work? I was expecting it to launch clips but it just seems to play midi notes.

Tap the "gear" icon on the main screen, and then switch over to the automation tab.

From there -- you can tap "Configure MIDI interface for Launchpad" -- and that will open up a dialog where you can specify the MIDI connection info for your Launchpad. After that, toggle on "Launchpad Support"

The app needs a MIDI destination so that it can send MIDI messages to the Launchpad, to toggle on and off the lights. And in Launchpad mode, incoming MIDI is interpreted as Launchpad button presses (these are actually MIDI notes -- which is why the notes are sounding).

Currently, you're either in Launchpad mode -- where everything is assumed to come in from the LP -- or in regular mode, where you record MIDI. I'll be adding in some code so that you can specify that the LP is on a given MIDI channel, so that some MIDI will go towards turning loops on and off, and other MIDI can be recorded as usual.

In this release, all I'm handling is turning loops on and off (left most 6 columns, and loops 1 through 8 -- if you add more loops, they're not accessible).

I'm playing around with different schemes as to how to get the best use out of the other Launchpad buttons. My current thinking is to have column 7 select different song sections -- so you can turn on or off a bunch of loops with a single press. The play/stop/record-arm buttons will likely do what you'd think they should do, and I'll also give some control of the mixer. That functionality isn't in the current version, but it should appear soon.

• edited January 2017

@Munibeast said:
    I'm very much digging this app since the recent update! I don't know why but I tried recording a loop with Alina SE loaded in and couldn't get the loop to be audible, although Alina received the notes while recording them through IL. Alina is set to Omni. Is this a bug or am I missing something? And one more thing: it would be nice to be able to stop the play head immediately instead of playing until the end of the loops. For live performance... Also undo would be great!

Okay, I found what I was doing wrong. The MIDI Out has to be set up for the track by tapping the title bar and selecting Alina as output. I didn't think it would be possible in the first place because there was no cog wheel for IAA instruments and also I didn't think it would be required since Alina already played the notes while recording through IL's keyboard. Anyways, problem solved.
    I do want to repeat I like undo buttons! And to stop the playback exactly when I press. Maybe it could be optional. A setting for transport quantization? How about it, @SecretBaseDesign?

@BiancaNeve said:
    How's the launchpad meant to work? I was expecting it to launch clips but it just seems to play midi notes.

Tap the "gear" icon on the main screen, and then switch over to the automation tab.

From there -- you can tap "Configure MIDI interface for Launchpad" -- and that will open up a dialog where you can specify the MIDI connection info for your Launchpad. After that, toggle on "Launchpad Support"

The app needs a MIDI destination so that it can send MIDI messages to the Launchpad, to toggle on and off the lights. And in Launchpad mode, incoming MIDI is interpreted as Launchpad button presses (these are actually MIDI notes -- which is why the notes are sounding).

Currently, you're either in Launchpad mode -- where everything is assumed to come in from the LP -- or in regular mode, where you record MIDI. I'll be adding in some code so that you can specify that the LP is on a given MIDI channel, so that some MIDI will go towards turning loops on and off, and other MIDI can be recorded as usual.

In this release, all I'm handling is turning loops on and off (left most 6 columns, and loops 1 through 8 -- if you add more loops, they're not accessible).

I'm playing around with different schemes as to how to get the best use out of the other Launchpad buttons. My current thinking is to have column 7 select different song sections -- so you can turn on or off a bunch of loops with a single press. The play/stop/record-arm buttons will likely do what you'd think they should do, and I'll also give some control of the mixer. That functionality isn't in the current version, but it should appear soon.

Thanks for the explanation

Sadly it doesn't work with my Behringer launchpad S copy, though that works perfectly with the Launchpad app.

As an aside it also causes the app to crash if you enable the LP mode without configuring it.

• Boss mode! Congrats and thank you for this release!

@Arpseechord said:

I was trying to get this to work with Thumb Jam yesterday - but no luck. There are so many MIDI options in ThumbJam.. (MPE mode anyone??).. that I may have inadvertently selected something that I shouldn't have.

Any ideas what I definitely need to have ON or OFF in TJ??

@BiancaNeve said:

Looks very exciting - I might just have to go buy a Launchpad now :smiley:

• I've been having a play with Infinite Looper today using my Line 6 Helix as interface to get my guitar into my iPhone - I've got MIDI guitar running so I can get good polyphonic audio-MIDI conversion going on - and I also have ThumbJam running for some better quality sounds.

It's awesome to be able to access a whole other palette of sounds other than guitar - e.g. to get string pads to accompany the chords - or play double bass, or a flute, or a synth lead - or a drum kit! I can make a really full sounding arrangement all from the guitar.

As I'm a guitarist my hands are kind of busy - so I really want to be able to operate IL via MIDI footswitches rather than touching the screen.. and here I have come across a couple of irritations..

1) I can select which track I want to record on via MIDI, then I hit my MIDI record footswitch and it will record until I press record again.. but it does not play the loop I've just recorded.

2) in fact there is no way to mute/unmute clips(loops) via MIDI

3) also there is no way to select the various clips(loops) on each track by MIDI - even though there is a "create new section" assignment.

SO in a nutshell - please can we have more MIDI control bindings :) I know the functionality exists in some way in IL already as the Launchpad mode uses MIDI to do many such things.

Also - I would love to see a CUE function (like in Group The Loop) - so that when you hit record (or play.. or mute) it will wait till the end of the current loop before it starts recording (or playing.. or mutes). It is most irritating at the moment that the loops play from the middle if you hit them at the wrong time. CUE should be able to be turned off (by MIDI too :wink: ) in case you want IL to respond more immediately.

But I guess many of these things will come in the next update with the enhanced Launchpad support?

• Much more extensive control using MIDI is on the horizon -- I'm a guitarist as well, and want to get it so that I can fully control what's going on with my foot pedals. There's AB, Link, and MIDI transport control that needs to happen; the hard part is figuring out how all of this stuff should work together, so that it actually works without people needing to burn all their brain cells out trying to figure it out.

And while I'm here -- it's Pi day, and I've put Aleph Looper on sale for $3, and Infinite at $14. Most of the icons for my apps are circles, so it seemed like the right thing to do!

@ricksteruk said:
    I've been having a play with Infinite Looper today using my Line 6 Helix as interface to get my guitar into my iPhone - I've got MIDI guitar running so I can get good polyphonic audio-MIDI conversion going on - and I also have ThumbJam running for some better quality sounds.

It's awesome to be able to access a whole other palette of sounds other than guitar - e.g. to get string pads to accompany the chords - or play double bass, or a flute, or a synth lead - or a drum kit! I can make a really full sounding arrangement all from the guitar.

As I'm a guitarist my hands are kind of busy - so I really want to be able to operate IL via MIDI footswitches rather than touching the screen.. and here I have come across a couple of irritations..

1) I can select which track I want to record on via MIDI, then I hit my MIDI record footswitch and it will record until I press record again.. but it does not play the loop I've just recorded.

2) in fact there is no way to mute/unmute clips(loops) via MIDI

3) also there is no way to select the various clips(loops) on each track by MIDI - even though there is a "create new section" assignment.

SO in a nutshell - please can we have more MIDI control bindings :) I know the functionality exists in some way in IL already as the Launchpad mode uses MIDI to do many such things.

Also - I would love to see a CUE function (like in Group The Loop) - so that when you hit record (or play.. or mute) it will wait till the end of the current loop before it starts recording (or playing.. or mutes). It is most irritating at the moment that the loops play from the middle if you hit them at the wrong time. CUE should be able to be turned off (by MIDI too :wink: ) in case you want IL to respond more immediately.

But I guess many of these things will come in the next update with the enhanced Launchpad support?

Much more extensive control using MIDI is on the horizon -- I'm a guitarist as well, and want to get it so that I can fully control what's going on with my foot pedals. There's AB, Link, and MIDI transport control that needs to happen; the hard part is figuring out how all of this stuff should work together, so that it actually works without people needing to burn all their brain cells out trying to figure it out.

And while I'm here -- it's Pi day, and I've put Aleph Looper on sale for $3, and Infinite at $14. Most of the icons for my apps are circles, so it seemed like the right thing to do!

Nicely done.... :)

..... the hard part is figuring out how all of this stuff should work together, so that it actually works without people needing to burn all their brain cells out trying to figure it out.

YES :wink: This is so true! My head is spinning trying to figure it all out.

I'm trying to run about 6 apps together andstarts to become very tricky... I want to use an audio Looper (currently Group The Loop) as well as IL controlled by by MIDI footboard, (and also ThumbJam, DrumJam, MIDI Guitar, Midiflow, via Audiobus and probably other synths too)

• Due to some poor mail management on my part, I just found the wonderful stickers you sent a month or so ago. Thank you so much, and sorry for the late acknowledgement.

• @Crawlingwind said:
    Due to some poor mail management on my part, I just found the wonderful stickers you sent a month or so ago. Thank you so much, and sorry for the late acknowledgement.

No worries! And glad they got there ok.

For any folks who are interested -- message me your mailing address, and I'll drop a few stickers into the mail for you!

• edited March 2017

@SecretBaseDesign said:
    Much more extensive control using MIDI is on the horizon -- I'm a guitarist as well, and want to get it so that I can fully control what's going on with my foot pedals. There's AB, Link, and MIDI transport control that needs to happen;

I've been using IL and GTL together today - trying to get them to switch between verse / chorus sections together in sync. I set up once track on IL to send some MIDI notes to GTL, which I'd set up as "Select Group" and "Play Group" bindings. I got it to work, but it's a bit tricky. (I was also using Ableton Link to sync the apps)

I have some thoughts, which I hope might be worth consideration for future updates....

1) I was using Song mode in IL, and I was trying to play Section 1 then Section 2, then Section 1 again.. but I did not seem to be able to get it to play section 1 again.. is this possible? I got around it by creating Section 3 that was identical to Section 1, (Section 4 the same as section 2, Section 5 the same as section 1... etc) but that seems like a longwinded way to do it to me. Surely Section 1 might need to be repeated elsewhere in the song?

2) It would be really useful if there was a direct MIDI binding for each Section.. So that I can hit a foot switch and that will always play Section 3.. the chorus for example. Rather than having to toggle.. forward /back and then press Play/Select... 3 foot switches could directly select Intro, Verse and Chorus. Also this would be useful if we wanted to use another app to trigger a Section in IL.

3) "Instant Commands" transmitted on launch/initial play of a Section... Talking about triggering other apps - if there were some (user definable) MIDI commands that were transmitted by IL on launch of a Section then IL could easily control another app (like GTL or Loopy or...).

4) one observation.. when the track is stopped I press play in IL it often seems to get confused.. the first bar seems to have 6 beats in it.. then the second bar hiccups for a bit and then joins back in again

• I've been experimenting using IL and GTL together - here's a post about it on the GTL forum.
    forum.grouptheloop.com/index.php?p=/discussion/93/multi-track-looping

I posted about it here, but I edited it and it's got lost in the "approval void" - who knows if it will ever re-appear :wink: