Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Dhalang MG (and Lite) 2017 updates, wishes,

Hi folks,

Got some updates to the whole Dhalang catalog processed through:

New on full MG version:

• Added X/Y control to TouchPlay view: control and record synth parameters with touch while playing.
  • Added Control mapping mode to TouchPlay view for turning the area to only X/Y control (more control while playing virtual keyboard).
  • Added octave amount setting to TouchPlay view to have less (or more) octaves visible.
  • Physical synth auto-glide trigger setting and DSP improvements.
  • Fixed Russian UI translation (thanks to Alexey Shmariovich)

So mostly new stuff to the direct input part. Now possible to have 1 or 2 control parameters in the control area.
When using Y Hold mode the Y control parameter changes from the position the note is triggered. In Y Hold
mode the current note must be released before triggering another one.
Some minor changes in the UI - getting very close to the "final" state, so I can start taking pictures etc
for the full manual.

Lite version updated to the state of the full version (with limitations off course). Added also full midi input support and background app audio features. Still no midi output, saving/loading/importing, audiobus, iAA, etc for the free lite version. Some one asked me so technical stuff about the software It was surely about hacking the Lite to full - well, sorry but all the functional full feature code is completely removed from the lite - so there's absolutely no way of hacking it to full version B)

I made some polls for future update requests and wishes.

Some quetions about the next updates
  1. Which future feature should be prioritized first ?15 votes
    1. iOS multi-output mode
      26.67%
    2. Ableton Link support
      53.33%
    3. Alt-tuning/MPE MIDI output (with instant pitch bend messages etc)
        6.67%
    4. Internal mixer improvements (channel EQs, bus chain order setting, etc..)
      13.33%
  2. Is buffered online render (record what is heard to wav until stopped) for iOS version a good idea?15 votes
    1. Yes
      73.33%
    2. No
      26.67%

Comments

• Great work thanks :)
    For me I would say Link first then multiple outs then the rest as my preference, but great to hear you are working on all that in the future.

• I went for multiple outs, but link is a close second.

Couldn't visualize how to use the X/Y stuff from the description, but had a play with it last night and it's very cool. Thanks!

• edited January 2017

alternative tuning with pitch bend output could make sense, although I'm not so sure about it. I rather dislike pitchbend for tuning purposes, it is just a workaround of something that does not exist yet.

Ableton Link is always good, but that's a different topic.

• @Hypertonal said:
    Hi folks,

New on full MG version:

• Added X/Y control to TouchPlay view: control and record synth parameters with touch while playing.
    • Added Control mapping mode to TouchPlay view for turning the area to only X/Y control (more control while playing virtual keyboard).
    • Added octave amount setting to TouchPlay view to have less (or more) octaves visible.

So mostly new stuff to the direct input part. Now possible to have 1 or 2 control parameters in the control area.
    When using Y Hold mode the Y control parameter changes from the position the note is triggered. In Y Hold
    Some minor changes in the UI - getting very close to the "final" state, so I can start taking pictures etc
    for the full manual.

Lite version updated to the state of the full version (with limitations off course). Added also full midi input support and background app audio features. Still no midi output, saving/loading/importing, audiobus, iAA, etc for the free lite version. Some one asked me so technical stuff about the software It was surely about hacking the Lite to full - well, sorry but all the functional full feature code is completely removed from the lite - so there's absolutely no way of hacking it to full version B)

Fixed Russian UI translation?

Funny I thought Russia hacked the app.

• edited January 2017

@RustiK said:

@Hypertonal said:
    Hi folks,

New on full MG version:

for the full manual.

Fixed Russian UI translation?

Some of the UI translations were initially made with just Google Translator, and native speakers of
    those languages have afterwards given huge help by providing correct make-sense translations.

• Quick update (2.4 ios, & 2.3 mac) to mainly improve stability, fix bugs etc. Piano roll MIDI output as the only new feature. I also did put out some videos of my live jam session with Indian tuning system and goa-trance-ish stuff. Videos at the website ( hypertonal.net/dhalang ) and youtube.

• @Hypertonal said:
    Quick update (2.4 ios, & 2.3 mac) to mainly improve stability, fix bugs etc. Piano roll MIDI output as the only new feature. I also did put out some videos of my live jam session with Indian tuning system and goa-trance-ish stuff. Videos at the website ( hypertonal.net/dhalang ) and youtube.

The piano roll midi-out is an excellent add. Skimmed the new videos and will watch in their entirety later... but I like how you let them them go long... starting from the beginning and gradually building. I'm now very familiar with the app, so it's nice not to have to try and mimic what you're doing as I learn, but to simply watch someone who knows what they're doing, build a complex composition from scratch.

I was playing with Dhalang MG last night using midi-out. Noticed that when I start very simple on the vectors with no complexity at all.. then slowly and gradually add/subtract bit-by-bit... I can compose something much easier than hitting the most complex generative randomization... and trying to tone that back to listenable, is much less effective. I get lucky every now and then by chance, but no control. When I start "flat" and slowly build, it goes much better.

Thanks for the welcome updates!

• love the piano roll midi out, thanks :)

• Due to a serious flu (getting now better) I haven't been able to continue any software projects for some time, but a very throughout review of the software, written by microtonalist Warren Burt, appeared on SoundBytes magazine soundbytesmag.net/dhalangmg/ I think it is also very helpful for those "not getting it" from my videos. But I assure the full manual is under work(pile).

• Hope you recover quickly :)
    Thanks for the link, will have a read through.

One thing I was trying to do recently was to create a custom scale which had midi notes corresponding to a drum apps note binding. I think I got stuck and was going to go back to it.
    Is this something you would do in the tuning editor? Or is there a way of doing that on the scales page?

Many thanks!

• @Hypertonal said:
    Due to a serious flu (getting now better) I haven't been able to continue any software projects for some time, but a very throughout review of the software, written by microtonalist Warren Burt, appeared on SoundBytes magazine soundbytesmag.net/dhalangmg/ I think it is also very helpful for those "not getting it" from my videos. But I assure the full manual is under work(pile).

Terrific write up - hope you'll publish more on the Markov chain aspects - in my past I worked on queuing theory and policy - never thought at the time of the connection to sequencing and music, really connects my mind in some new inter-ways, very inspiring, thanks @Hypertonal !

• edited January 2017

Very good

• @Hypertonal said:
    Due to a serious flu (getting now better) I haven't been able to continue any software projects for some time, but a very throughout review of the software, written by microtonalist Warren Burt, appeared on SoundBytes magazine soundbytesmag.net/dhalangmg/ I think it is also very helpful for those "not getting it" from my videos. But I assure the full manual is under work(pile).

Have to be honest and say I am intimidated by this app. perhaps a bit too boffin-ey for me, BUT I bought it because I see that as a failing in the user not the developer. Glad to hear you're on the mend and, of course, look forward to the comfort of a manual....

• edited January 2017

+1

• Another nice update just rolled out :)

• edited February 2017

@Carnbot said:
    Another nice update just rolled out :)

I bought it, opened it, was intimidated by it, and have hid in the cupboard (me, not it) ever since. Have you found it to be worth the effort?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Carnbot said:

I bought it, opened it, was intimidated by it, and have hid in the cupboard (me, not it) ever since. Have you found it to be worth the effort?

It's definitely worth digging in, and I'm looking forward for when it gets Link for digging in a bit more.
    It depends on how you use it but for experimental stuff it's really good since it has lots of different types of randomisers. there's a lot you can do with this on it's own. but can understand the apprehension as the interface makes it quite daunting :)

It's now got 20 IAA output ports, got to be a record :)

• @Carnbot said:

Nice, this appeals to the boffin in me greatly.

I can't say I'm making anything traditionally musical out of it (yet) but the tweakage is strong and I like the noises I'm making. A bit like Soundscaper in that regard.

The UI is obscure in places but once the core concepts and routing is understood it gets easier. The particle thing is particularly (!) nuts.

I'm a sucker for apps that do unique things and this has it in spades.

• @TheVimFuego said:

@Carnbot said:

I can't say I'm making anything traditionally musical out of it (yet) but the tweakage is strong and I like the noises I'm making. A bit like Soundscaper in that regard.

The UI is obscure in places but once the core concepts and routing is understood it gets easier. The particle thing is particularly (!) nuts.

Agree, I like that it pushes you into making unusual sounds.. it definitely takes time to get to know, and there's a fair bit I don't know yet still. It has a unique toolset for sure.

Cant seem to load more than 1 IAA port in AUM at the moment. Might try a reinstall tomorrow.

• @Carnbot said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@Carnbot said:

Agree, I like that it pushes you into making unusual sounds.. it definitely takes time to get to know, and there's a fair bit I don't know yet still. It has a unique toolset for sure.

Cant seem to load more than 1 IAA port in AUM at the moment. Might try a reinstall tomorrow.

Same here. Reinstalled but still no dice.

• The new AB settings are only just now updated to AB system/cloud. (had to wait for the iOS update to come through, and I was sleeping when it happened) Here's what I previously wrote while waiting this:

Now a more larger update in a more normal update interval.

I had some time and musical inspiration (rare thing these days) to make many test use sessions before proceeding to next updates, which are much about mixing and playing the thing live. I Also dedicated much time to fully fix many pending issues like the multiport AB/IAA support.

New:
    ** - Instrument tracks have now individual 3 band EQ units.
    - Buses have 3 band EQ units with configurable middle frequency.**
    This was something necessary for users who like to mix music with using only Dhalang, so I added
    standard mixer-style EQ units to all channels and a Mackie-style configurable middle freq to the bus EQs.
    The EQs are not the best in the world, but very lightweight. I can fine-tune the band frequencies and Qs more
    if requested.

** - Instrument tracks have "Functions" that automate and beat-synchronise mute/solo changes and volume fades.**
    Something I thought would be really cool when mixing/playing sequences and generators live. I found it very hard especially on iPad to master setting tracks mute/solo in sync with the music just by pressing the buttons precisely at the right moment - so why not automate this thing too. There are now these track functions that set mutes and solos at the next full measure/beat start configured by the track function Grid setting. 1/1 is full measure, 8/1 is 8 measures or a bar / 2 bars / etc, 1/2 and less is less than measure, beats or ticks. Speed slide will set the speed amount for automated volume fade in and out. These functions probably need some more feedback from users to get them just right.

** - Buses have various effect routing configurations. **
    These presets will define how the bus effects are routed. I made 10 different routing modes, but will add more if requested. The bus EQ at the moment is only used at the end of bus fx chain.

** - Buffered online render added to iOS version (red switch on main out).**
    A feature from OSX version now also in iOS version. It wil record the stereo output to wav file until record is set off. There is confirmation before starting recording and while recording a red dot is blinking at the top right corner of every view. The record will NOT stop automatically, except until the device memory is completely filled and the system will probably complain about it somehow. I might set an option to also record to mp3 file.

Mixer changes in UI can be seen on the web page http://www.hypertonal.net/dhalang/features-mix.html

Fixes:
    ** - AudioBus and IAA multiple port output fixed and tested to work 100%. Also port icons with instrument names.**
    Something that has been pending for too long. Now I took the time to completely fix the iOS multiout issues,
    and tested it to work 100% at least on Audiobus and AUM. Now when the app is in multi output mode, the FX
    buses are offline. I might get them also to individual ports but that would probably slow the app a lot.
    And the FX buses are probably something one wouldn’t need when running the channels to somewhere else ?
    On audiobus the ports are named as instrument channels in the App and have corresponding (tiny) icons.
    Only the first app port (AL-1 or DMG Output 01) functions as Instrument port and can receive IAA midi, the
    rest are only sound generator outputs.

** - Sampler segment playing logic fixed. **
    Previously when a sampler was in segment mode, it’s polyphony logic was dealing with note frequencies just like in normal instrument/pitch mode. This caused the randomized pitch variations to be perceived as different notes whileactually being the same sample segment, and fast triggering caused a single segment to play simultaneously many times causing phasing and annoying volume boosts. Now the segment poly logic deals with only segment numbers,allowing each segment to be played only once at a time and lowering the sampler dsp load many times. I don’t know if there is actually a need for the logic to function like previously also - a switch or something.

**- Bug fixes in matrix sequencer and state machine logic. **
    Some bugs here and there that might have not come to light if not doing something very particular and expecting a very particular result.

** - Stability fixes on app starting and project loading. **
    Some dsp crashing at app start is prevented. DSP crashes very rare in iOS version and concerns more the OSX version and Core Audio when running many different programs simultaneously. Project loading made more stable, even though there can now be a scary snap/pop sound after loading is complete. This is due cutting the whole dsp engine off while loading to prevent memory errors. Switching between project on the fly is not possible anymore.

** - Volume faders made more smoother (can affect previously saved project settings).**
    I reprogrammed the volume curves that are now much more smoother and mixer-like. This also changed little the way track volume data is used so any previously saved projects will work but the volume can be initially very low. Settings the volumes right and resaving will fix the problem for previous works.

- Offline bus render fixed.
    On OSX version there was a bug: when rendering individual buses offline, only bus1 was included in the render…

** - Matrix MIDI file importing fixed to survive file anomalities.**
    I thought this was already working perfectly until running some weird semi-broken MIDI files into the markov
    import and the app crashed. Now more and more checks to prevent file anomalies f*%!ng things up.

Ableton Link support was too tricky to implement just now, and it needs more dedicated time to figuring it out.
    Maybe it will be on the next update.

Last night while messing around freely in the software I noticed something weird happening with track solo/mute button states when changing views, but could not yet pinpoint what is was.

• Thanks for the update @Hypertonal
    I can't get the IAA multiple ports working in either Audiobus or AUM however.
    I can load the first port but not the others, unless there's something in the main app which is supposed to be turned on first.

• @Carnbot said:
    Thanks for the update @Hypertonal
    I can load the first port but not the others, unless there's something in the main app which is supposed to be turned on first.

The app must be in started in Multi mode (Settings view, System) for individual output ports to wok.

• @Hypertonal said:

@Carnbot said:
    Thanks for the update @Hypertonal

The app must be in started in Multi mode (Settings view, System) for individual output ports to wok.

Ah, ok got it thanks :)

• edited February 2017

@Hypertonal Didn't know I had to select multi instead of stereo in the system settings. Works great! Took me awhile to figure out the order of the slots doesn't go by the order I add instruments, but by the order of you instrument listing, ie. Analog 1-8 correspond to Generators 1-8.

Some observations and question.

Observations:

-1. The Analog instrument dropdown menu covers up half of the Envelope title.
    -2. The EQ settings don't sound like they have much (if any effect). The MID has noticeable effect but the Hi/Low don't seem to change at all.

Questions:

-1. Can you explain how this works and a walk-through scenario in a bit more detail?

** - Instrument tracks have "Functions" that automate and beat-synchronise mute/solo changes and volume fades.** Something I thought would be really cool when mixing/playing sequences and generators live. I found it very hard especially on iPad to master setting tracks mute/solo in sync with the music just by pressing the buttons precisely at the right moment - so why not automate this thing too. There are now these track functions that set mutes and solos at the next full measure/beat start configured by the track function Grid setting. 1/1 is full measure, 8/1 is 8 measures or a bar / 2 bars / etc, 1/2 and less is less than measure, beats or ticks. Speed slide will set the speed amount for automated volume fade in and out. These functions probably need some more feedback from users to get them just right.

-2. Are the following "routing modes" the dropdown menu at the bottom of the mixing page that have various orders of effects in a string? If so, I only see 9 of them not 10. Or, is this something different? Your list starts at "0" then goes to "2-9".

** - Buses have various effect routing configurations. **
    These presets will define how the bus effects are routed. I made 10 different routing modes, but will add more if requested. The bus EQ at the moment is only used at the end of bus fx chain.

-3. I pointed my external sampler library to a folder full of MP3 samples. None of them show up inside Dhalang MG. But, my sample folder with WAV files works fine. I gather MP3 samples aren't supported? If not, what formats other than WAV are supported for import?

Great update and thanks!!!! Though, the new "Functions" menu within the mixer has me completely baffled. Maybe a fresh walk-through demo video for the new stuff? :)

• @Hypertonal oh my God. Just. Wow. This app is incredible! I can't wait to dig in and learn it. Thank you thank you thank you for porting to iOS!

• Quick new fix update (2.6) and some answers.

Fixes:

- Major UI optimisation to mixer view.
    I made a large change to the mixer view that was again getting laggy when viewing func/eq modes.
    Now mixer view should be almost as light as all the rest, excluding settings view.

**- Sync function fades fixed.
    - Mute/Solo button state changing fixed.
    - Bus FX routing list fixed. **

some sloppy ui bugs generated by new features

- Note lengths on touch input recording fixed.

Some note lengths were all wrong when recording fast playing with touch keyboard.

I will make a video about the mixer functions.

Sampler should be able to show and load audio file types: wav, aif, mp3 and m4a.

And lastly, I put .dhl project files used in the vector & matrix sketches -video available
    to download and use freely: hypertonal.net/dhalang/tutorials.html

• @Hypertonal I've not been clever enough to really appreciate the result of your work yet, but I do appreciate the effort you're putting into it...

• edited March 2017

Every time there's an update I'm more and more fascinated by Dhalang. The thing that's holding me back is my ipad is a mini 2 and although it meets the requirement of a dual core processor I found when I tried out the Lite version it was a little finicky but was better when I used a stylus. I also read that the use of a midi controller is recommended and that's good. Since I'm not in the position of upgrading my mini does anyone have any advice , tips or experience with Dhalang on an iPad mini? Maybe my mini can't fully handle dhalang?
    Thanks

• @Arpseechord said:
    Every time there's an update I'm more and more fascinated by Dhalang. The thing that's holding me back is my ipad is a mini 2 and although it meets the requirement of a dual core processor I found when I tried out the Lite version it was a little finicky but was better when I used a stylus. I also read that the use of a midi controller is recommended and that's good. Since I'm not in the position of upgrading my mini does anyone have any advice , tips or experience with Dhalang on an iPad mini? Maybe my mini can't fully handle dhalang?
    Thanks

I don't have a mini, so I can't offer anything there. I'm using an Air 2. But, I CAN say that I've thrown everything impossible can at Dhalang MG with all of its instruments ALL running at once in piano roll, vector generated sequences, partical generated sequences, sliced samplers playing in the matrix, midi out to external synths, etc. and the app has never even so much as hiccuped. Seems rock solid.

As for the smaller mini screen, you can adjust and increase the app's font size which may help some.

Another thing is that I was setting up an additive synth in Dhalang MG, but controlling it via my recently purchased install of Geoshred. It opened up a whole new value component to Dhalang MG, i.e. Customized Additive, Analog, Physically Modeled, synths that can be externally controlled.

Good dev that keeps on evolving and refining the app too.