Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New app: Reslice by VirSyn

Comments

• Apologies if this has been answered already, but will ReSlice play back the slices with the original micro timing/swing of the clip, like Recycle, or Dr. Rex? All of the slicing apps so far just play things back on the 16th note grid.

• @Processaurus said:
    Apologies if this has been answered already, but will ReSlice play back the slices with the original micro timing/swing of the clip, like Recycle, or Dr. Rex? All of the slicing apps so far just play things back on the 16th note grid.

Dont know if i understand your question but you can manually or auto slice like Recycle. Its more like Sector and Egoist only you use the arpeggiator to program the notes,octaves and keys. This app got all the technology to be a mini Dr.Rex but its something different.

• @aaronpc said:

@gkillmaster said:
    what are the main features that set this apart from Samplr. I know this might be a super naive question.

That's a surprisingly difficult question to answer. They look like they have a lot of similarities, but you would have trouble replicating the results of either one to the other. The more apt comparison would be to Egoist. If you already have Samplr, ReSlice will not be redundant. It can be more work, though.

This. They're really very different apps. All three slice samples as a core feature but the comparison basically ends there.

• ^Yes exactly. If you like sample slicing you'll want to have all 3 in your collection.
    They each have their different thing going on. Even though the arp is the way into Reslicer, playing via midi using something like Modstep for me is also a great way to get usable results quickly.

• @Carnbot said:
    ^Yes exactly. If you like sample slicing you'll want to have all 3 in your collection.
    They each have their different thing going on. Even though the arp is the way into Reslicer, playing via midi using something like Modstep for me is also a great way to get usable results quickly.

Bing, bing, bing (one for each of them...)

• @Carnbot said:
    ^Yes exactly. If you like sample slicing you'll want to have all 3 in your collection.

Ooh I haven't tried that combo yet - that's tomorrow night's entertainment sorted.

• Mood/Piano Scraper -> Audioshare record -> Open In Reslice == very good time. Just saying.

I know this can sorta be done via multiple presets but being able to save multiple slicer states and recall them via A-D (or F or H!) hot keys would be pretty tremendous. I'm having a lot of fun making these sort of percolating rhythms with the app where most slices have a very short decay. Raising the decay of one or two slices creates accents. If I could save those and bounce between them... yum. Same for pitch really. You could pretty easily put together 'musical' progressions that way.

• @syrupcore said:
    Mood/Piano Scraper -> Audioshare record -> Open In Reslice == very good time. Just saying.

I know this can sorta be done via multiple presets but being able to save multiple slicer states and recall them via A-D (or F or H!) hot keys would be pretty tremendous. I'm having a lot of fun making these sort of percolating rhythms with the app where most slices have a very short decay. Raising the decay of one or two slices creates accents. If I could save those and bounce between them... yum. Same for pitch really. You could pretty easily put together 'musical' progressions that way.

Yeah I find short decays work well. Moodscaper samples sounds tasty too, that's another one for tomorrow night.

• Hmmm I'm so on the edge of the fence with this. It seems like a great looking app but just not convinced it will offer anything that new. Does anyone have a demo of something more musical as opposed to the more experimental?

• @gmslayton said:
    @syrupcore here ya go. Just for you.

Thanks for this video!

• @MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

Ooh I haven't tried that combo yet - that's tomorrow night's entertainment sorted.

it makes it a bit more predictable to sequence, like Egoist in this way, and you can still choose to have the arp on or off for more mayhem. :)

• Hope for a transient amount controller. Sometimes there are to many slices...
    I thought it would replace Egoist ,but they seem to get along just fine :)

• edited January 2017

@syrupcore said:
    Mood/Piano Scraper -> Audioshare record -> Open In Reslice == very good time. Just saying.

Good stuff here. This is where Samplr's multiple tracks come in handy as a workaround for what you describe. If only Samplr and Egoist and Reslice could be Linked. That would be amazing.

• @gmslayton you're The Man - thanks again.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Good stuff here. This is where Samplr's multiple tracks come in handy as a workaround for what you describe. If only Samplr and Egoist and Reslice could be Linked. That would be amazing.

Our first supergroup maybe....fun to imagine anyways.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @InfoCheck but what keyboard samplers are available as AU in AUM or Modstep?

None, ReSlice comes closest so far.

• I cant find a way to get the arp to start from the first step. Id like to press a key and the arp sequence starts with step one.
    In Addictive Pro they have the option to 'key sync' the arp (Nb. plus turn off Link) and then the arp kicks in on step one with the first key pressed. @VirSyn any chance of getting this option in Reslice?

• @Richtowns said:
    I cant find a way to get the arp to start from the first step. Id like to press a key and the arp sequence starts with step one.
    In Addictive Pro they have the option to 'key sync' the arp (Nb. plus turn off Link) and then the arp kicks in on step one with the first key pressed. @VirSyn any chance of getting this option in Reslice?

Would be nice.

• Im digging this app. Heres a sample of what it can do for beatboxers. I sampled a lil mouf beat into Strom, and played it along with a Thumbjam cello loop . This lil loop sat for many weeks and tonight i popped it into Reslice and just jammed with the arp and the dice.

• edited January 2017

@Richtowns said:
    I cant find a way to get the arp to start from the first step. Id like to press a key and the arp sequence starts with step one.

Yes I was banging on about this a few pages ago but no replies, so thought no one else was having an issue. I asked the developer he said it's not possible however that function is an option built-in to the virsyn arp app (as you say above) and so it could come at some point in the future, so feel free to add a request via their support email. I did some testing and as long as you are not playing the in app keyboard or using it via MIDI with no IAA or AU it will reliably trigger from the first step at the start of a bar, so at least there's that!

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    Im digging this app. Heres a sample of what it can do for beatboxers. I sampled a lil mouf beat into Strom, and played it along with a Thumbjam cello loop . This lil loop sat for many weeks and tonight i popped it into Reslice and just jammed with the arp and the dice.

Nice riff :)

I was mucking about with Reslice last night - it's a real mixed bag results-wise - sometimes it sounds like a right old mess but a few tweaks to slice positions and arp settings and you get something completely new and amazing.

Going to stand the test of time this one.

• @skoptic OK. Ill send them an email. I havent been able to follow your instuctions but Im glad you think there is a work around cos this is quite important. Im surprised they said they could do it. Heres hoping

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    Im digging this app. Heres a sample of what it can do for beatboxers. I sampled a lil mouf beat into Strom, and played it along with a Thumbjam cello loop . This lil loop sat for many weeks and tonight i popped it into Reslice and just jammed with the arp and the dice.

Enjoyed that @Gaia.Tree

• @MonzoPro said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

I was mucking about with Reslice last night - it's a real mixed bag results-wise - sometimes it sounds like a right old mess but a few tweaks to slice positions and arp settings and you get something completely new and amazing.

This seems to be the way with slicers, at least in some of these HAM-fisted mitts....nothing doing, rubbish, useless app, hang on, wow, quick save that before I screw it up...this has always been half of my internal monologue when working with Egoist.

• edited January 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

This seems to be the way with slicers, at least in some of these HAM-fisted mitts....nothing doing, rubbish, useless app, hang on, wow, quick save that before I screw it up...this has always been half of my internal monologue when working with Egoist.

I actually prefer this to Egoist - I always get 'an Egoist thing' when I use that one, but Reslice seems a bit more flexible. It does have a 'sound', a bit like all the Virsyn apps, but you can definitely get something unique with a modicum of fiddling.

The test of an app for me is - am I still using it on a regular basis a week later? And this one gets a very big thumbs-up on that score.

• I agree on all points. Reslice gets me to more varied results faster than the other slicer apps.

• Making me want to re-investigate Yellofier.

• @Richtowns said:
    @skoptic OK. Ill send them an email. I havent been able to follow your instuctions but Im glad you think there is a work around cos this is quite important. Im surprised they said they could do it. Heres hoping

sorry, the thing I found was that when playing the keyboard in the app or driving the app via midi (without any IAA or AU), as you say the arp is just running of its own accord and won't retrigger etc. But as the arp is running of its own accord, every time you play the keyboard or send it midi notes, it will just play from wherever it is at that moment.

While you can't get every note retrigger when using it via IAA or AU, at least the arp always starts at the bar start, and gives a consistent experience every time you play :) So I have found noodling with keyboard in app a bit haphazard, hooked up via IAA or AU at least repeatable and consistent.

• @skoptic said:

@Richtowns said:
    @skoptic OK. Ill send them an email. I havent been able to follow your instuctions but Im glad you think there is a work around cos this is quite important. Im surprised they said they could do it. Heres hoping

sorry, the thing I found was that when playing the keyboard in the app or driving the app via midi (without any IAA or AU), as you say the arp is just running of its own accord and won't retrigger etc. But as the arp is running of its own accord, every time you play the keyboard or send it midi notes, it will just play from wherever it is at that moment.

While you can't get every note retrigger when using it via IAA or AU, at least the arp always starts at the bar start, and gives a consistent experience every time you play :) So I have found noodling with keyboard in app a bit haphazard, hooked up via IAA or AU at least repeatable and consistent.

I think the arp in ReSlice is definitely non-traditional in that depending upon the particular arp preset you're using, the number of keys being played at once can have a big effect such that traditional arp play methods may not be so effective.

• Update 1.1.0 is out..

Thanks...