Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New app: Reslice by VirSyn

Comments

• @skoptic said:
    Loving the app, great fun - just some feedback after testing things on the arp.

It looks like if you use the app as IAA in a DAW host (i.e. Cubasis), the arp playhead will start at the same point each time you play which is great for repeatable performance. If you just send midi to the app, without IAA, the arp will be free running albeit at the same speed, but will not trigger from start of loop when DAW starts. Kinda threw me without the IAA, but looks OK with. Not tried AU but think someone mentioned the arp doesn't work in AU..

The arp works in AU :)

• @MonzoPro said:

@syrupcore said:

@eross said:
    this app has moved to the top of my list of all time
    favorite apps. so fun. one feature request i'd like to see would be a way to transpose the arp sequence that is playing back. to have the arp running, and to be able to push a couple buttons( say similar to the way Trouble maker has octave and semitones buttons up or down). that would top this app off.

Same request here. And/or an 'offset all' control on the slice editing page so that you could transpose them all (or lower the decay on all or...). I say offset because I'd want to be able to get back to the original settings with their relative values the same.

Yeah that'd be nice - pitch control via the slice editor would benefit from more accurate controls.

It'd also be good if the pitch/envelope/etc. slice settings were retained when you load in a new sample - at the moment they reset to default which can sound horrible in the middle of a performance. The first thing I do is knock down the decay and release values.

+1 to keeping the slice settings in place when swapping samples.

Maybe holding a slice setting button down while dragging on the slices would be a nice shortcut for "offset all" that wouldn't clutter the UI?

I would also get a lot of mileage with the ability to chromatically adjust slice pitches. Not sure a good way to do it without adding another button to the UI. Maybe double tap/long press on the pitch button could put it in a "Locked" state where slides adjust in increments of 1.

• @VirSyn Thanks for this awesome app. Is it possible to get some record import monitoring? or an option to hear what audio is being pass through it? Maybe just a button beside the record button that allows for monitoring.

@syrupcore If you long press the pitch button, you get a quantize option. If you click it on, it will adjust chromatically.

• Was talking elsewhere about how this place can be a good little research factory/focus group, this thread is a great example of that...

• +1 more for keeping slice settings.

Love this app! I would love to take a week vacation and master this beast. It's not complicated or fiddly--it's just that the possibilities seem to stretch to the horizon.

• @syrupcore here ya go. Just for you.

• That was really helpful, Mitch. Loving your videos. Thx.

• @gmslayton great tip and video on how to use pitch quantize.

• @syrupcore If you long press the pitch button, you get a quantize option. If you click it on, it will adjust chromatically.

Say what?? Wonderful, thank you!

• Ha! Had no idea about the slice long press menu either. Big preesh, @gmslayton.

Back to the drawing board on offset all UI I guess. Though double tap could still work (I think).

• You have sold me on this one, Mr Slayton.
    Nice work.

• I apologize if this has been addressed here and I missed it, but is it possible with the arp to have the slices automatically cut each other off, like a mono voice mode, mute-group style?

• @parallaxobject Maybe try turning the release down for the slices you want muted. then play around with the Gate Time. I think you can get something to that effect.

• edited January 2017

@gmslayton said:
    @parallaxobject Maybe try turning the release down for the slices you want muted. then play around with the Gate Time. I think you can get something to that effect.

Thanks. Definitely possible manually, though sometimes tedious, especially when you have loads of slices, and at different lengths.

• Perhaps a default universal decay setting that can be overridden at individual slice? I felt myself yearning for that universal decay control in Egoist as I was playing with Reslice today.

• @gmslayton So helpful, thank you! :) :)

• Great tip @gmslayton , thank you for sharing :+1:

• I totally forgot to mess with pitch quant. With the number of silly toys I have around here that may be an afternoon lost. So much easier than MiniSampler in Cubasis.

• @aaronpc said:
    I totally forgot to mess with pitch quant. With the number of silly toys I have around here that may be an afternoon lost. So much easier than MiniSampler in Cubasis.

I agree with you about the MiniSampler in Cubasis plus ReSlice has a lot more options for adjusting various parameters as you're making a preset and the ability to assign existing arp presets to sounds and the random function are nice too.

• But with cubasis mini sampler or lyra you can load a sample and use the keyboard to create a melody instead of playing around with sliders and the arp. For randomized stuff Reslice is great but its not a replacement for mini sampler at this stage.

• Errrr, where are the user presets? Just made one last night, saved it, but can't see it this morning. :/

• Hmmmm normaly in the presets.

• @Proto said:
    But with cubasis mini sampler or lyra you can load a sample and use the keyboard to create a melody instead of playing around with sliders and the arp. For randomized stuff Reslice is great but its not a replacement for mini sampler at this stage.

Agreed. I don't think a single sample in any app could replace what true samplers do across a note range. What I was getting at is that ReSlice allows me to quickly throw a sound into an arp sequence and see if it's worth pursuing more seriously. Many times what would seem like a perfect sample source just doesn't pan out after much effort.

• @proto @aaronpc good points about how ReSlice isn't oriented to melody. Some creative types could probably create presets and instances of ReSlice to do so but it'd be more convoluted and less straight forward than a keyboard sampler.

• @InfoCheck but what keyboard samplers are available as AU in AUM or Modstep?

• what are the main features that set this apart from Samplr. I know this might be a super naive question.

• the arp.

• @gkillmaster said:
    what are the main features that set this apart from Samplr. I know this might be a super naive question.

That's a surprisingly difficult question to answer. They look like they have a lot of similarities, but you would have trouble replicating the results of either one to the other. The more apt comparison would be to Egoist. If you already have Samplr, ReSlice will not be redundant. It can be more work, though.

• @aaronpc said:

@gkillmaster said:
    what are the main features that set this apart from Samplr. I know this might be a super naive question.

That's a surprisingly difficult question to answer. They look like they have a lot of similarities, but you would have trouble replicating the results of either one to the other. The more apt comparison would be to Egoist. If you already have Samplr, ReSlice will not be redundant. It can be more work, though.

thank you!