Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Blocs update

Just noticed an update for blocs wave. Maximizer added to output. Can share sound packs with launchpad. Various bug fixes.

Comments

• Thx brother

• ooh maximizer is a nice addition

• So just to be clear, Blocs Wave and Launchpad both share each other's sound packs. Right?

• @AlleycatLA said:
    So just to be clear, Blocs Wave and Launchpad both share each other's sound packs. Right?

You can use the Launchpad soundpacks in Blocs Wave but you can't use Blocs Wave sounds in Launchpad right now.

It would make a couple of really good apps even better if you could.

I love using these two for getting some ideas down quickly or just jamming.

• As always, Novation have their products cooking nicely. The thing I like the most is that these guys listen, and where possible, deliver.

Blocs Wave, in particular, has had a seriously good effect on my productivity. Because it 'just works' to borrow a phrase from Apple, in ways that sync with how I prefer to work, progress is rapid in the early stages. I can then take the result into a DAW for further work, and mastering.

Something I hope will come down the line in a future update, is a way to export any number of projects at the same time, and crucially, reimport them set up and ready to go, in the event of disaster.

• edited January 2017

I got a Launchkey Mini over Christmas and this also great for mobile jamming.

The integration with the apps is great and another thing that 'just works'.

Happy to shell out some $ to unlock the effects and packs in Launchpad.

• If only they would add the possibility of midi control that is not only locked down to their own hardware controllers I would love it. Right now they are the only apps where I actually have to switch to them and fiddle on the screen, whereas I can control most things in most of the other apps I use from my existing external controllers.

• @hellquist said:
    If only they would add the possibility of midi control that is not only locked down to their own hardware controllers

This, and I recently learned that their MIDI controllers aren't even configurable either (i.e. you can only use them with apps that support their controller setup). Which is the tail wagging the dog and hopefully not setting a trend.

• @brambos said:
    This, and I recently learned that their MIDI controllers aren't even configurable either (i.e. you can only use them with apps that support their controller setup). Which is the tail wagging the dog and hopefully not setting a trend.

Hey Brambos, I just wanted to check, by 'configurable', do you mean the ability to edit the cc for the knobs and MIDI notes for the Pads? In which case, it depends which product you are referring to.

Our more accessible product range 'Launchkey' does have more limited editing for CCs, as many pieces of software can remap easily. However, If you are looking for editable CC's I can highly recommend our Novation Impulse 25, 49 or 61 or SLMkII 25, 49, 61range of Keyboards.

Our Launch Control range also has an editor which allows you tweak to CC's just how you want them.

Do let me know if I have misunderstood though.

// Blocs (but with a Novation Hat on this time)

• @blocsxnovation said:
    Hey Brambos, I just wanted to check, by 'configurable', do you mean the ability to edit the cc for the knobs and MIDI notes for the Pads? In which case, it depends which product you are referring to.

Yes, I was referring to the Launchkey Mini. Sorry for the confusion.

• Hi @blocsxnovation!
    (As I suggested by mail few times)
    It will be cool midi mapping of the app (even being an iap like launchpad) and obviously support of the launch series too (I sold my keyboard to buy a launchkey).
    Also it will be cool share user folder between blocs and launchpad with the desired "whole projectexport/sharing to..." and "share this scene with..." between them.
    These aren't so different in the way the manage "slots" and "scenes" so it could be clever produce and mangle in blocs for song composition and use launchpad as perfect for backing tracks in session gigs. If you activate almost playlist/scenes in both as midi mappable we could use them with foot controllers in juction with other apps (like LoopyHD or GTL) and it will stop me of frankesterize a launchcontrol to embed it into a custom pedal :P

If you make the harmony wheel also controllable by midi notes it could be another perfect companion for musicians that use arrangers (like me). It will necessary to make a separation between rythm and melody content but these could supply another request feature: independent pitch/tempo control for a category (aka drums but give to the users the chance to save any sample as "drums" and access to the pitch/time controls) to make dnb high pitch sample reproduction or super granular going in the opposite. Also it could be a check box for "harmony wheel affects also drums" making it harmonic over (not full overrating) the user parameters.

So the point is more options for midi control in the app and better in keyboard control for midi mapping (user button to avoid automap?)

Thanks!

• I wish Blocs supported iTunes file sharing so you can copy all your soundbanks at once instead of importing sounds one by one.
    I hope one day apple allows importing multiple files without using a PC, but at the moment iTunes file sharing is the only option.

• edited January 2017

@blocsxnovation said:

Is there any other reason than a wish to sell hardware (of course) the would stop you guys from adding midi learn to the actual apps instead of only/just to the hardware? Just checking if I am missing something else that might be obvious to everyone else. :)

I might be alone in this (though I doubt it) but I would find it a lot easier to integrate your apps in my workflow if I could control them via midi. Now, I already have an awesome midi keyboard (which sadly in this case isn't a novation product) which I have no plans on changing any time soon. Not being able to control your apps from it though is what prevents me from adding them to my workflow, and ultimately stops me from purchasing the IAPs in your (otherwise excellent) apps, as I then prioritise to put my IAP money where I can use the apps simply and flexibly.

It might be worth mentioning I totally understand if this is a business decision/policy, and you are in your full right to take that decision for your products of course, just like I am in my full right as a customer to put my money where I think it finds the best value. But midi control in the apps would be great. Make it an IAP! Or point out support only applies if the apps are used with your hardware. Something would be better than nothing. ;)

• @blocsxnovation said:

@brambos said:

Our more accessible product range 'Launchkey' does have more limited editing for CCs, as many pieces of software can remap easily. However, If you are looking for editable CC's I can highly recommend our Novation Impulse 25, 49 or 61 or SLMkII 25, 49, 61range of Keyboards.

Our Launch Control range also has an editor which allows you tweak to CC's just how you want them.

Do let me know if I have misunderstood though.

// Blocs (but with a Novation Hat on this time)

But you cant get other controllers to play launchpad app, right? Or do i just need to figure out what midi notes or cc's to send on it(= what physical launchpad sends)?

• edited January 2017

You need the magic handshake I think. Someone somewhere should be able to reverse engineer that since Behringer seem to have managed it.....

• @blocsxnovation When can we expect to see 'key change per scene' and 'scene chaining'?

These two features would make it so much more fun to use Blocs Wave as a idea-sketchpad :)

• @hellquist said:

@blocsxnovation said:

Is there any other reason than a wish to sell hardware (of course) the would stop you guys from adding midi learn to the actual apps instead of only/just to the hardware? Just checking if I am missing something else that might be obvious to everyone else. :)

I might be alone in this (though I doubt it) but I would find it a lot easier to integrate your apps in my workflow if I could control them via midi. Now, I already have an awesome midi keyboard (which sadly in this case isn't a novation product) which I have no plans on changing any time soon. Not being able to control your apps from it though is what prevents me from adding them to my workflow, and ultimate stops me from purchasing the IAPs in your (otherwise excellent) apps, as I then prioritise to put my IAP money where I can use the apps simply and flexibly.

It might be worth mentioning I totally understand if this is a business decision/policy, and you are in your full right to take that decision for your products of course, just like I am in my full right as a customer to put my money where I think it finds the best value. But midi control in the apps would be great. Make it an IAP! Or point out support only applies if the apps are used with your hardware. Something would be better than nothing. ;)

You aren't alone. I'm in the same situation and in the process to buy a launchkey but even Blocs still not support them...

• edited January 2017

Dear Santajesusgod, I would love to automate Blocs scenes and banks via MIDI CC, but more than anything else I'd like a fine tune dial per sample.

• edited January 2017

Although it can be used as a performance app I use blocs as a feeder to the Launchpad app which is a performance based app.
    All launch hardware works with the launchpad app.

IF blocs were to get Launch support then for me it would be LaunchControlXL that I would want to use.....1 row of pads for loop on/off, another row for slice triggering on current selected loop, maybe a couple of the rotaries for setting the loop points, faders for volumes, rotary for pan and some function buttons to drive the discovery and sample browser modes. These are the I use tools when setting up a scene. on top of that the maybe tempo and key control (but these for me are usually already decided before I get into blocs wave)

BUT, if blocs did get this sort of support then how would the apps or controllers know which you wanted to control when running both apps (which I do all the time) ?

I personally think that adding Launch support to blocs wave could have an impact on the "it just works" that we currently have with the blocs wave and Launchpad apps.

That being said, if it did happen, and worked seamlessly then I'd be all for it :)

• edited January 2017

@blocsxnovation I can vouch for the impulse series of keyboards. I have a 25 key for a brief moment in time and regret selling it everyday. It was such an awesome controller. Will prolly pick up the 61 key big boy one day.

Also thanks for the continued updates for this app. Midi would be great(especially for starting a loop), a reverse function on the samples, a better transition between scenes or the option to pick wether it jumps straight or waits until the beat is over, oh and add more than just minor keys.

• edited January 2017

@AndyPlankton said:
    Although it can be used as a performance app I use blocs as a feeder to the Launchpad app which is a performance based app.
    All launch hardware works with the launchpad app.

IF blocs were to get Launch support then for me it would be LaunchControlXL that I would want to use.....1 row of pads for loop on/off, another row for slice triggering on current selected loop, maybe a couple of the rotaries for setting the loop points, faders for volumes, rotary for pan and some function buttons to drive the discovery and sample browser modes. These are the I use tools when setting up a scene. on top of that the maybe tempo and key control (but these for me are usually already decided before I get into blocs wave)

BUT, if blocs did get this sort of support then how would the apps or controllers know which you wanted to control when running both apps (which I do all the time) ?

I personally think that adding Launch support to blocs wave could have an impact on the "it just works" that we currently have with the blocs wave and Launchpad apps.

That being said, if it did happen, and worked seamlessly then I'd be all for it :)

But:

• Someone could just use Blocs...
    • And maybe releasing a dedicated controller (or midi channel for each app)...

I also see launchcontrol xl (with larger pads like launchcontrol le has) the perfect companion for another keyboard but since I'm moving to buy one launchkey it will be cool for their users (and midi channel or just a toggle could do the trick)

Meanwhile maybe @blocsxnovation could release a new "synth" based app and take the Mainstage slice of the cake... justsayin' :wink:

• @Dubbylabby said:
    But:

• Someone could just use Blocs...

If that user wants all of the control like loop or beat quantised triggering, one shot triggering etc....then use Launchpad app as it is all there already, plus you have the realtime FX too.

• And maybe releasing a dedicated controller (or midi channel for each app)...

This is OK for experienced users...blocs have a very wide range of users from absolute beginners through occasional dabblers to professional producers and musicans, all with different skill levels.......There are a large amount of users on this very forum who openly state they are MIDI illiterate, so it needs to be something simple that a user doesn't need to 'get technical' to use

I also see launchcontrol xl (with larger pads like launchcontrol le has) the perfect companion for another keyboard but since I'm moving to buy one launchkey it will be cool for their users (and midi channel or just a toggle could do the trick)

XL is a great controller, I use it in Launchpad App and as a programmer/controller for circuit, it also has HUI mode so can be used to control the mixer in Auria...

Meanwhile maybe @blocsxnovation could release a new "synth" based app and take the Mainstage slice of the cake... justsayin' :wink:

They've not said if they are or are not going to do one, but did say that if they DID do one it would be a SYNTH! :) :) :)

• edited January 2017

But you will need the sample import iap in launchpad in addition to hardware... just make the launch compatible and somekind of toggle for each tuple of cc/notes. Also it will possible these users just want song composition without session but still slicing, mangling and why not dedicated outputs. It could be added to LP too ;)

Dedicated controller for non experienced; midi learn iap for midi wizards.

About the Synth App, meanwhile it has drum sets or similar I could do the extra with Midiband so it could be ok but looking into competency it seems a biggest niche to cover without lefting synth lovers aside :smiley:

Anyways I trust in Novation, for me the better price/specs company in each target (with korg side to side) at the moment.

• @Dubbylabby said:
    But you will need the sample import iap in launchpad in addition to hardware... just make the launch compatible and somekind of toggle for each tuple of cc/notes. Also it will possible these users just want song composition without session but still slicing, mangling and why not dedicated outputs. It could be added to LP too ;)

Oh yeah, indeed. I'm talking about midi control of BOTH Blocs and Launchpad, from any controller.
    Ideally I would also like Launchpad to get IAA inputs so we could record our loops in to it directly, but that is probably a move invasive operation, but I guess I will have to use one of the other launchpad-like apps instead, that indeed do have midi control and IAA inputs instead, even though they are lacking in some other areas, when I really would like to just use Launchpad.

As for peoples skill levels when it comes to midi, I don't think midi illiteracy should be used as an argument to not put midi in to apps; if there is no midi functionality to learn, no one will learn it, and everything will stand still. That is like saying "there are kids, so there can be no cars".

However, I think the people who don't know midi are more vocal about that fact, than the people who know it are vocal about them knowing it. The reason for that is simple: if you know it, you also know it is so incredibly simple that you cannot remember how you couldn't know/understand it. It takes about 3-4 hours to get to that point, at the most.

It isn't like we are talking about learning and reciting Book Of The Dead with powerful magic in it. We are talking about sending one signal from one place to another, just like we do with audio (which people seem to have a decent grasp on), but it can only have a set range of values (1-16 or 0-127). If you've read this far you now know half of everything you need to know about midi, really. That, and the fact that midi can happen without audio, just like two cities can be connected both by trains and flights, and you don't have to use both. Most things on top of that is over course.

Just my £0.02

• I'm agreed. The point for iap midi or dedicated hardware for "begginers" is more a point for @blocsnovation and workarounds to fit it in their sales policy. Of course full midi learn (or map) will be the best for any iOS app. Also virtual midi to control from these apps another ones.

• @hellquist said:

@blocsxnovation said:

I might be alone in this (though I doubt it) but I would find it a lot easier to integrate your apps in my workflow if I could control them via midi. Now, I already have an awesome midi keyboard (which sadly in this case isn't a novation product) which I have no plans on changing any time soon. Not being able to control your apps from it though is what prevents me from adding them to my workflow, and ultimately stops me from purchasing the IAPs in your (otherwise excellent) apps, as I then prioritise to put my IAP money where I can use the apps simply and flexibly.

Good post.

• edited January 2017

@hellquist said:

Its a good question, and I'm sure my reply will be met with some skepticism, however it is the truth...

Firstly, we haven't intentionally held back from adding MIDI learn to primarily sell our products over others, however it is a consequence. We work from a user backlog of requests, and we have to prioritise the features we do based on a number of factors. MIDI learn ** is** in our backlog, but keeps being beaten by the likes of Soundpack Sharing, Slicers, Link, etc etc.

One of the reasons we did prioritise our own Novation Hardware first, was that we knew we could easily guarantee an out-of-the-box quality experience, and fix any issues rapidly.

// The Blocs Team

• edited January 2017

@blocsxnovation said:

@hellquist said:

Its a good question, and I'm sure my reply will be met with some skepticism, however it is the truth...

Firstly, we haven't intentionally held back from adding MIDI learn to primarily sell our products over others, however it a consequence. We work from a user backlog of requests, and we have to prioritise the features we do based on a number of factors. MIDI learn ** is** in our backlog, but keeps being beaten by the likes of Soundpack Sharing, Slicers, Link, etc etc.

One of the reasons we did prioritise our own Novation Hardware first, was that we knew we could easily guarantee an out-of-the-box quality experience, and fix any issues rapidly.

// The Blocs Team

Excellent reply, thanks. Gives me hope! I am not sceptical. I much rather have bad news than no news (and this would more be good news than bad news. :)
    Also, I might have come across negative. I am not. With Launchpad I have been disappointed 1-2 years ago, probably due to expectation management mismatch, but Launchpad has been catching up impressively of late. As for Blocs I have been in stunned awe over both how good it is, and simple to work with. The rate of updates you guys have pushed into it is phenomenal, incredible kudos for that! It works in all ways except midi...so that is obviously what I complain about. :)

• @blocsxnovation said:

@hellquist said:

Firstly, we haven't intentionally held back from adding MIDI learn to primarily sell our products over others, however it a consequence. We work from a user backlog of requests, and we have to prioritise the features we do based on a number of factors. MIDI learn ** is** in our backlog, but keeps being beaten by the likes of Soundpack Sharing, Slicers, Link, etc etc.

// The Blocs Team

So when we can expect a release date for the new blocs controller and midi (iap or not) learn purchase?

Just kidding. ;)

• @blocsxnovation said:

@hellquist said:

Firstly, we haven't intentionally held back from adding MIDI learn to primarily sell our products over others, however it is a consequence. We work from a user backlog of requests, and we have to prioritise the features we do based on a number of factors. MIDI learn ** is** in our backlog, but keeps being beaten by the likes of Soundpack Sharing, Slicers, Link, etc etc.

// The Blocs Team

Very fair.