Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New app: Reslice by VirSyn

Comments

• May have found a bug with this app. Just been playing around with it under AUM as AU, driven by Fugue Machine. All was well, until I returned to Slicer AU settings and tried to turn off receiving from Fugue. No dice. Slicer would not stop playing. Even when Fugue Machine was removed.

• edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2017

Yup, regardless of the values in the key area, I'm completely conflumoxed as to how to make the arp retrigger with each note.... Anyone know if it is possible or if there is even a manual (can't find one myself) anyone..... anyone.... Beuller?

Edit... looking at other virsyn apps I have (Cube, Tera) the arp looks like it always just runs from the start button, and has no note retrigger. This is different behaviour to what I expect (and prefer) i.e. KORG ODYSSEi retriggers the arp from start with each note. This lack of retrigger adds a significant dent to my reslice enthusiasm!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Now you've all had a chance to play with this for a bit.......

For someone who is not interested in sequencing slices, but is interested in playing slices live and recording the output.......what, if anything, over and above being AUv3 does this bring that I don't already have with blocs wave.> @d4d0ug said:

Seems to be more stable running in Modstep rather than AUM...

WOW, That's the first time I heard anyone say that about an AUv3

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Now you've all had a chance to play with this for a bit.......

For someone who is not interested in sequencing slices, but is interested in playing slices live and recording the output.......what, if anything, over and above being AUv3 does this bring that I don't already have with blocs wave.> @d4d0ug said:

Just buy it already Andy. You know you wanna ;)

• I had a few crashes in AUM, some of which was me trying to load a stupid length sample in though. It's not bad for a v1, I (blindly) trust the issues will be addressed soon enough.

Not tried yet via Modstep, I went nuts for MS initially but it didn't suit my workflow. Will spend tomorrow's commute in MS host research mode ...

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

to be honest I'm only mildly tempted...it doesn't fit that well into my endgame and blocs wave is doing everything I need on this front.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

to be honest I'm only mildly tempted...it doesn't fit that well into my endgame and blocs wave is doing everything I need on this front.

Yeah to be honest I'm just funking about with it. Actually I'm just funking about in general right now lol

• edited January 2017

Right confirmed by dev, arp retrigger from note not possible, may be added in future. The app is great fun, but I must admit that this triggering malarkey undermines my expected use - no one else find that an issue?

• I'm shocked that slices can't be looped, so that holding down a key will loop a particular slice. Perhaps I'm missing something. Such a simple function, but would really expand the sound design possibilities.

• @MonzoPro said:
    So far the most usable results I've had have come from manipulating short processed beats, ambient guitar clips (rejiggled and re-pitched) and vocal clips (a @johnnygoodyear one was particularly fun to mess with, but I won't post the results). Keeping things simple track-wise helps too - just the one or two arps, and using the keyboard more. Worst results were complicated long song samples with four apps running - that way madness lies. Still...

Flattered and violated at one and the same time....

• @papertiger said:
    I'm shocked that slices can't be looped, so that holding down a key will loop a particular slice. Perhaps I'm missing something. Such a simple function, but would really expand the sound design possibilities.

Good point, this would be a useful feature. You can do it with a single note repeat via the arp but a button on the keyboard would be nice.

• @MonzoPro said:

@papertiger said:
    I'm shocked that slices can't be looped, so that holding down a key will loop a particular slice. Perhaps I'm missing something. Such a simple function, but would really expand the sound design possibilities.

Good point, this would be a useful feature. You can do it with a single note repeat via the arp but a button on the keyboard would be nice.

I had incorrectly assumed that this feature was present when I purchased the app, based in part on the comparisons to Samplr, etc. Buyer beware! It's still a great app, and Virsyn supports and improves their creations, so perhaps we'll see it in the future. I just won't be able to use it in the manner I anticipated... which will force me to explore the unique (to say the least!) arp! :)

• @MonzoPro said:

@papertiger said:

That's true, but considering you can control via midi, then workarounds are possible if you use another app to play it. So far it's seems pretty unique in the iOS world.

• @AndyPlankton said:

For someone who is not interested in sequencing slices, but is interested in playing slices live and recording the output.......what, if anything, over and above being AUv3 does this bring that I don't already have with blocs wave.>

The arp.

• edited January 2017

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

For someone who is not interested in sequencing slices, but is interested in playing slices live and recording the output.......what, if anything, over and above being AUv3 does this bring that I don't already have with blocs wave.>

The arp.

You can do basic slice sequencing in Blocs, and you could load in four instances of a sample to achieve something very similar to what Reslice does. The killer feature for me is the control you have over each slice - to be able to control the envelope and pitch takes it beyond anything else currently available, and makes it very useful for making something completely new out of an old sample. Or in my case, something completely horrible.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

The arp.

Agree. It's the combination of the Arp with the slice controls that make this a winner. I'm only messing about throwing stuff at it, but already some interesting results I could see fitting in my beats.

• edited January 2017

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

The arp.

Yah, the arp is a fun. Pitch per slice, nice. I hope Blocs gets this.

• I know I should be into this, but somehow not feeling it yet. Could it be the slightly drab colour scheme?
    more demos please peeps!

• @iamspoon said:
    I know I should be into this, but somehow not feeling it yet. Could it be the slightly drab colour scheme?
    more demos please peeps!

haha, I thought I was the only one who buys music apps based on their color scheme

• I am thinking this will really click with me once i curate a bunch of wavs for audioshare then pipe them through effectrix into blocs.

• Had a chance to play around with this guy in the car on my iphone 5c today... What a killer app for beatboxers

• @iamspoon said:
    I know I should be into this, but somehow not feeling it yet. Could it be the slightly drab colour scheme?
    more demos please peeps!

I find Virsyn app UIs to be much more logical than intuitive. The two are not really the same thing, and it kind of turns me off as well. You have to get serious and pull that trachten hat down tight. Couldn't resist with this one, though. Funkier than it looks.

• edited January 2017

@aaronpc said:

@iamspoon said:
    more demos please peeps!

I find Virsyn app UIs to be much more logical than intuitive. The two are not really the same thing, and it kind of turns me off as well. You have to get serious and pull that trachten hat down tight. Couldn't resist with this one, though. Funkier than it looks.

Agree completely. I mean...you number the keys? I find their apps kind of unlikable, but we'll see how this works in Modstep. And then Gadget 3.0 will drop and all will be forgiven forgotten.

• edited January 2017

really great app for jams! here's a (shameless plug) short thing i did in no time

https://soundcloud.com/proyko/reslice-test-1

just lowering the pitches and playing the keys with the arp on.

• @proo said:
    really great app for jams! here's a (shameless plug) short thing i did in no time

https://soundcloud.com/proyko/reslice-test-1

just lowering the pitches and playing the keys with the arp on.

Really great and inspiring, @proo
    for the moment i have been frustrated with nonmusical, uncontrollable squirts of sound. I like this.

• That was pretty weird (meant as a compliment!)
    Marginally closer to the edge of the fence about getting this.
    Hopefully some more videos incoming, I didn't find the intro video very inspiring. (sorry Virsyn <3 )

• @iamspoon said:
    That was pretty weird (meant as a compliment!)
    Marginally closer to the edge of the fence about getting this.
    Hopefully some more videos incoming, I didn't find the intro video very inspiring. (sorry Virsyn <3 )

the video I think is more to show what the app can do, the inspiring part happens as soon as you put your fingers on it :wink:

• @nick said:

@iamspoon said:
    more demos please peeps!

haha, I thought I was the only one who buys music apps based on their color scheme

Seems like you never used AudioReverb by VirSyn. Its the best looking au at the moment with a beautiful graphic equalizer. Reverb also sounds top notch like all apps from VirSyn.
    Buy that one if you like watching different colors jumping up and down.