Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Infinite Looper/Aleph Looper 2.1 update -- more loops, Launchpad, and MIDI fixes! And morestickers!

Comments

• @SecretBaseDesign said:
    Got a new toy in the mail this afternoon. Very well behaved toy! I should have the pads lighting up in the next day or two.

Woot!

Also -- for selecting MIDI CC controls on the piano roll -- you can tap the +/- button to move through them one at a time, or touch on the name of the control and swipe left or right (to move quickly). This is not at all obvious; I just don't have a better way to do this right now, that will fit onto both the iPad and iPhone screens cleanly -- but I'll try to fix it up a bit.

Perhaps this list could one day be automatically reordered so that any CC with recorded data is at the top of the list?

• Well. Now that you are adding launchpad support you need to add 2 more instrument layers so that we can use the full 8x8 grid :smiley:

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    Well. Now that you are adding launchpad support you need to add 2 more instrument layers so that we can use the full 8x8 grid :smiley:

Bing, bing, bing......

• Madam arrived with the mail, complaining that she wants some Wonder Woman stamps too. Happy that she (Madam and Wonder Woman both) delivered a sticker from IL for the Big Boy....may even wander down to the coffee shop later just to show off etc.

il.png 831.2K
  • edited January 2017

Deleted

• Yeah, I saw the Wonder Woman stamps, and knew I had to go with them. I really like stickers -- my guitar case is covered, and the new laptop is getting adorned now. I had a Moog sticker on my old laptop; need to get another one for the new machine. (And the RUN GCC sticker -- my pride and joy, I got that from Richard Stallman personally, when we were at an event together!)

• Just got mine today! And doubled em up on my laptop hehe

• Look what I got in the mail today :)

(And the RUN GCC sticker -- my pride and joy, I got that from Richard Stallman personally, when we were at an event together!)

Woa! Was he wearing shoes? That sticker is fantastic but, considering the source of the one you have now, you gotta figure out a way to extract the original and reuse it. Of course, you're free to do what you want with it. :wink:

• Got mine. Did an underground skate 'zine back in the day and love getting surprises in the mail. Probably why I dig this little iOS music thing. Similar vibe, and each app update is like a new issue.

• @syrupcore said:

@SecretBaseDesign said:
    (And the RUN GCC sticker -- my pride and joy, I got that from Richard Stallman personally, when we were at an event together!)

Woa! Was he wearing shoes? That sticker is fantastic but, considering the source of the one you have now, you gotta figure out a way to extract the original and reuse it. Of course, you're free to do what you want with it. :wink:

Sandals. And would you believe that Stallman charged me $3 per sticker? Yeah, I wouldn't have believed it either, but I paid up, 'cause I feel like I owe him. He was at an ACM awards dinner, picking up a check for $50k, or something like that, and a plaque.... And he was shaking people down for $3 a sticker. I had met him at a talk 20 years or so ago, when he visited UCLA. He was a freak back then, and he's even freakier now. Very smart, and very very broken.

I was temped to ask if he paid royalties to RUN DMC for using their logo, but I thought it would be in poor taste!

@syrupcore said:

@SecretBaseDesign said:

Sandals. And would you believe that Stallman charged me $3 per sticker? Yeah, I wouldn't have believed it either, but I paid up, 'cause I feel like I owe him. He was at an ACM awards dinner, picking up a check for $50k, or something like that, and a plaque.... And he was shaking people down for $3 a sticker. I had met him at a talk 20 years or so ago, when he visited UCLA. He was a freak back then, and he's even freakier now. Very smart, and very very broken.

I was temped to ask if he paid royalties to RUN DMC for using their logo, but I thought it would be in poor taste!

Good story, but a weird one.

• He was at an ACM awards dinner, picking up a check for $50k, or something like that, and a plaque.... And he was shaking people down for $3 a sticker.

Bahahahaha. Pitch perfect. He's always been pretty clear about what 'free' means in FSF.

I wish you had! I've never met the guy but my take from afar is he's the sorta fella who believes in his vision strongly enough that he's feels self-empowered to impose his take on copyleft upon anything he pleases. Like, "I'm right about this. It's not my fault if you see it wrong. Would you like to buy a sticker, Mr. Simmons?"

Don't take that the wrong way. He's definitely a hero of mine. He is what he is (and that's part of what I admire). I mean, to this day I love The Smiths with reckless abandon but the thought of a two-hour dinner with Morrissey makes me shudder.

Great, now I'm thinking about a fishing trip with Stallman and Morrissey. Hmm, might be the bones of a sitcom now that I think of it.

• @syrupcore said:

He was at an ACM awards dinner, picking up a check for $50k, or something like that, and a plaque.... And he was shaking people down for $3 a sticker.

Bahahahaha. Pitch perfect. He's always been pretty clear about what 'free' means in FSF.

I wish you had! I've never met the guy but my take from afar is he's the sorta fella who believes in his vision strongly enough that he's feels self-empowered to impose his take on copyleft upon anything he pleases. Like, "I'm right about this. It's not my fault if you see it wrong. Would you like to buy a sticker, Mr. Simmons?"

Don't take that the wrong way. He's definitely a hero of mine. He is what he is (and that's part of what I admire). I mean, to this day I love The Smiths with reckless abandon but the thought of a two-hour dinner with Morrissey makes me shudder.

Great, now I'm thinking about a fishing trip with Stallman and Morrissey. Hmm, might be the bones of a sitcom now that I think of it.

Or a long bad dream. No more cheese tonight.

• There is a bug when recording midi CC or drawing midi CC :
    InfLooper sends all the CCs contained in one measure at once!

Also a minor bug ,when I choose a length of anything longer than 1 bar ,tapping to create a new loop displays always one bar. When I select record and tap again to the created loop fixes the display.
    Sorry for my English!

PS. I know I mentioned earlier , but setting the number of bars for recording is an unnecessary step.It should record infinitely (like the name!) and stop recording&start looping per choice.

• @syrupcore said:

He was at an ACM awards dinner, picking up a check for $50k, or something like that, and a plaque.... And he was shaking people down for $3 a sticker.

It seems that I am your freakish opposite. I never cottoned to the jangle of the Smiths, but have always devoured every word from Mr Morrissey.

• @JeffChasteen said:

@syrupcore said:

It seems that I am your freakish opposite. I never cottoned to the jangle of the Smiths, but have always devoured every word from Mr Morrissey.

Morrissey's a freak. We have need of them.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@syrupcore said:

Morrissey's a freak. We have need of them.

At the risk of making a mistake likely made by many others, I always felt that I would have gotten on well with Morrissey. We shared so many teenage obsessions: The Dolls, Warhol Superstars, angry young man novelists, kitchen sink dramas, moors murderers...

• Hmmmm. I don't about 'gotten on well with', not disputing your thought, just not certain if he's a 'getting on well with' type of muffin. Maybe. My guess is he really is so lonesome he could cry. BUT might well be, as is so often the case, that he's a mirror we project upon. I remember I used to see him in a posh gym in Chelsea a thousand years ago and he seemed perfectly happy jogging along on the machinery...

• @Korakios said:
    There is a bug when recording midi CC or drawing midi CC :

Which app are you having trouble with? In CoreMIDI, you can send MIDI events ahead of time (they're time stamped), and Infinite Looper is doing that. The motivation for this is that he eliminates communications latency -- so if things go over WiFi, etc., the notes still get played exactly in time, because they're already "there." Some apps don't handle early arrival MIDI correctly (although many do, and all of them should).

I might add a toggle that will disable ahead-of-time MIDI, but it would be better if the synths fixed things so that this worked correctly....

Also a minor bug ,when I choose a length of anything longer than 1 bar ,tapping to create a new loop displays always one bar. When I select record and tap again to the created loop fixes the display.
    Sorry for my English!

The length of a bar only changes when you select it for record (and it's empty). I'll think about this a bit more, to see if I can make it more intuitive on what's going on.

PS. I know I mentioned earlier , but setting the number of bars for recording is an unnecessary step.It should record infinitely (like the name!) and stop recording&start looping per choice.

The next update (well, maybe the one after the next -- this feature has been getting worked on for a while, and is taking longer than expected) will have a "groove" mode, where things will loop along, and recording will drop into new loops as you go -- sort of like "take folders" that you would see in Logic. Play around, and then go back and grab the pieces you like. I hope to have this done in the next month or two....

• Groove mode will rock!! Extra trucker style coffee for you :D

• Groove mode ++

• Groove mode xx

• edited January 2017

Groovy!

• Main thing that's been getting to me tho is not being able to start iL from AUM or Audiobus master start stop.

@Korakios said:
    There is a bug when recording midi CC or drawing midi CC :

Which app are you having trouble with? In CoreMIDI, you can send MIDI events ahead of time (they're time stamped), and Infinite Looper is doing that. The motivation for this is that he eliminates communications latency -- so if things go over WiFi, etc., the notes still get played exactly in time, because they're already "there." Some apps don't handle early arrival MIDI correctly (although many do, and all of them should).

I might add a toggle that will disable ahead-of-time MIDI, but it would be better if the synths fixed things so that this worked correctly....

Sorry for my English!

The length of a bar only changes when you select it for record (and it's empty). I'll think about this a bit more, to see if I can make it more intuitive on what's going on.

The next update (well, maybe the one after the next -- this feature has been getting worked on for a while, and is taking longer than expected) will have a "groove" mode, where things will loop along, and recording will drop into new loops as you go -- sort of like "take folders" that you would see in Logic. Play around, and then go back and grab the pieces you like. I hope to have this done in the next month or two....

Apps like Turnado, Magellan ,DRC can't receive midi CC correctly . I also watched the midiout on MidiFlow and it confirms it. I could check things tomorrow on a PC with Midiox.

The groove mode sounds interesting, but maybe a simple rec until press rec again, would be easier :tongue:

Another crucial FR: An option to disable Midi-thru (it is always on) since it makes it impossible to write from external hardware or app. In some cases it can cause feedback.

• Novice question here. I was just wondering if its posible to use one app for all instrument slots. For example I'd like to try using only iSymphonic but when I connect with IAA there is only one icon for iSymphonic yet more icon for other apps. Sensual sax has three icons...one an instrument and two as a generator. Some apps like Thumbjam have many icons...does that mean Thumbjam can fill all instrument slots in Infinite Looper?

• @Korakios said:

Apps like Turnado, Magellan ,DRC can't receive midi CC correctly . I also watched the midiout on MidiFlow and it confirms it. I could check things tomorrow on a PC with Midiox.

Ahh -- spotted the bug! Timestamp screw up on my part, with CC messages going out to external MIDI. Fixed, and will be in the next update.

The groove mode sounds interesting, but maybe a simple rec until press rec again, would be easier :tongue:

With the framework for looping, that's actually harder than it might sound!

Another crucial FR: An option to disable Midi-thru (it is always on) since it makes it impossible to write from external hardware or app. In some cases it can cause feedback.

I'll add some code to toggle interfaces on and off -- short term, if you tap the gear icon, and go to the MIDI learn tab, you can select which MIDI channel Infinite Looper responds to (by default, omni). Switch thing so that it only listens to the MIDI channels you want for your hardware controls. Outgoing MIDI is mapped to whatever channel you set up for each of the MIDI destinations for the track.

• edited January 2017

Ok I did a bit of experimenting with Thumbjam and I'm able to load a generator in each instrument slot
    So I suppose this would mean I can create an entire song with Thumbjam exclusively?