Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Infinite Looper/Aleph Looper 2.1 update -- more loops, Launchpad, and MIDI fixes! And morestickers!

Comments

• @aaronpc said:

@Gaia.Tree said:
    Wait wait, am i correct in reading that I can hum a melody into this app and it will give me da MIDI???

Yes, but don't expect miracles. Humming will cause the notes to blip all over. It really works best for guitar players and the like. Quantizing input might help a bit, but I haven't messed with it yet.

WE ARE THE HUMMERS AND WE DEMAND TO BE HEARD DAMMIT!

In other news; thanks so much for the playhead thingie, no small matter. BUT you have (bless you) created a monster and we're going to need a bigger boat. I can live with the six across, but I NEED MORE THAN EIGHT DOWN. Need them, you hear me? Require them, desire them, wish for them and want for them.

Just to be clear :)

• The piano roll keyboard will highlight the note it detects -- think of it like a normal tuner app, that's trying to pick out the note it hears -- and it's showing you where it is on the keyboard. With this, you might be able to hum/sing/whistle, and find the actual keys and notes quicker than you would if you were just hunting around normally.

The app contains the guts of MIDImorphosis, our earlier pitch-to-MIDI app -- it really works best with guitar. The latency is around 40-50ms, so it's laggy enough that Yngwie Malmsteen would be freaking out, but for entering notes, or playing something slowly, it works pretty well. Getting a clean tone is critical for good pitch-to-MIDI, and I palm mute quite a bit (it takes some practice). Here's a video that shows a little bit more of how it all works -- it was one of the beta test videos. The UI has moved around a bit, but the main elements are the same.

WRT polyphonic -- I'll probably turn that on for version 2.1. I had it disabled, because the polyphonic detection is not as good as I'd like it to be, and I'm going back to the drawing boards to re-engineer it a bit.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@aaronpc said:

@Gaia.Tree said:
    Wait wait, am i correct in reading that I can hum a melody into this app and it will give me da MIDI???

Yes, but don't expect miracles. Humming will cause the notes to blip all over. It really works best for guitar players and the like. Quantizing input might help a bit, but I haven't messed with it yet.

In other news; thanks so much for the playhead thingie, no small matter. BUT you have (bless you) created a monster and we're going to need a bigger boat. I can live with the six across, but I NEED MORE THAN EIGHT DOWN. Need them, you hear me? Require them, desire them, wish for them and want for them.

Alright, alright. More loops in 2.1.

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    Cool thanks, ive been hunting for a perfect audio to midi solution for ios for a while... Then again even Abletons audio to midi hasnt worked the best for my purposes

Audio to MIDI is really freakin' hard, especially in real time. I'm doing the best I can with software, but it's not comparable to things like a Fishman TriplePlay (which is awesome). For the best results, it's crucial to play clean, and to mute notes so that things don't ring and overlap.

With a guitar tone, there's the root frequency, and then all sorts of overlapping harmonics -- 3/2, 2, 5/4, and so on. If there are multiple notes, the harmonics overlap and interleave -- which is why chords sound cool -- but extracting out the seed notes is very tricky. I've got a hack approach to this in MIDImorphosis (and it's in Infinite too, but currently disabled) -- but the coffee I've been drinking for the past few months may have helped me figure out a better approach, and I'm going to try to get that done for version 2.1.

• @SecretBaseDesign said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@aaronpc said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

Alright, alright. More loops in 2.1.

Does the complicated happy dance that scares the children and makes the horses cry

Seriously though, or as much as I can manage it, you have no idea (you have an idea) how mellowly terrific it is to open the thing up, run a bass line over a few bars and have Zeta playing it in 15 seconds and then double it up next door on the next track with Thor running perfectly beside it. All in 60 seconds and with no buggering about. Just do it etc. My guess is you should have started with four tracks across and offered another four as an IAP but sadly the time-space thingie didn't allow us to meet earlier etc.

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    Cool thanks, ive been hunting for a perfect audio to midi solution for ios for a while... Then again even Abletons audio to midi hasnt worked the best for my purposes

If you are looking for a realtime guitar to MIDI solution, Midi Guitar 2 is the best I've found on iOS. The problem is that the IAP to enable full functionality is relatively expensive (at least for for iOS standards)

• It all sounds very good to my ears
    Sold!
    I just pressed the link to the app store and it says it's not available in Canada?!? Very sad camper here

• @Arpseechord said:
    It all sounds very good to my ears
    Sold!
    I just pressed the link to the app store and it says it's not available in Canada?!? Very sad camper here

Hmm -- should be available everywhere -- might have a country-code in the link that's mucking things up. Maybe search, and see if it turns up that way -- but I don't have any country restrictions.

@Arpseechord said:
    It all sounds very good to my ears
    Sold!

Hmm -- should be available everywhere -- might have a country-code in the link that's mucking things up. Maybe search, and see if it turns up that way -- but I don't have any country restrictions.

Thanks Patrick that did the trick. I searched it and its purchased and downloaded now
    The link in this thread earlier today worked fine but now it's saying unavailable in the Canadian store...strange
    Oh well thank you again and I look forward to learning and using your app!
    Cheers

• @Gaia.Tree said:

Gonna mess it up if you hum in 432 Hz tuning tho...

• @busker said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

If you are looking for a realtime guitar to MIDI solution, Midi Guitar 2 is the best I've found on iOS. The problem is that the IAP to enable full functionality is relatively expensive (at least for for iOS standards)

Long time lurker here but I had to sign up to endorse Midi Guitar 2, it's the best I've found too. About AU$45 to unlock it though. Compared to the cost of similar hardware technology 5, 10 years ago though it's a steal.

Back on topic, I like the look of Infinite Looper, the workflow seems good. To echo a previous comment on stuff like Modstep (great though that is) sometimes I just want to get some ideas down quick and jam.

• It's so much more than just a musical sketchbook.

• @aaronpc said:
    It's so much more than just a musical sketchbook.

Brilliant!

• @Nkersov said:
    BTW, app may already do this, but if not would it be possible to play a .wav file in something that allows background audio, and have Infinite Looper read it pitch to Midi?

Does it work as an AB FX or output, as this would allow this......I'd be interested to know this as I use MIDIMorphosis a lot for transcribing old songs and audio loops I have produced back into MIDI where I have lost the original source....being able to do this inside the building workflow would really help.

Is it possible to export the loops as individual MID files to allow easy import into ModStep clips ?

I really like the look of the simplicity of the workflow with this and am very tempted, it would also help keep my ModStep, Cubasis and Auria project folders nice and clean as I would have all my 'jamming' files in here and then those that progress further for production in the relevent apps with no crappy little projects that I end up scared to delete.

• Also....are you able to remove the built-in instruments to get the space back ?

• @aaronpc said:

Some people are so childish....I Love It :D

• This is awesome. And it works with my iPad2 very well, I just need to ensure that I let the playhead cycle at least one loop otherwise it drops the first few notes but once it is going, it works perfectly. Nicely done, excellent update.

• @aaronpc said:

That is way too funny!

• It would be cool if it could host AU as well even if someone already mentioned that I must have missed it.

• No AU at the moment, but I'm planning on adding it in, along with the ability to do a little bit of effects routing, and some other stuff like that. And found a glitch in the MIDI import this morning (for files that have running condition codes... gaah! I hate MIDI some times), and have that fixed. Will probably push out a quickie fix in the next few days, and will add in the ability to have more loops on each track too.

• @SecretBaseDesign how close are we to getting an Undo button when in the loop editing screen?

• @JonLewis said:
    @SecretBaseDesign how close are we to getting an Undo button when in the loop editing screen?

I'd love to see this as well, it's the one feature I was surprised not to find. Without undo it becomes more dangerous to play around with quantize etc.

I finally picked this up yesterday and I'm glad I did. I was worried it would be redundant as I already own Modstep, Genome, ProMidi etc., but there are a few key features that make this app worthwhile. The song mode is great, and the ease of use and logical/intuitive workflow means I can get things done very quickly with little mental overhead. I can see myself using this quite a bit even if it lacks some of the advanced features of other MIDI sequencers.

• @SecretBaseDesign Now that you've had a whole day to rest, it's new feature request time.

I love the new red line in the editing screen showing the playing position, but it leads me on to new need. On the main screen, each playing "cell" has a highlighted area showing the current quarter measure. I would really like that same feature in the edit window now. Not in the main area, but in that little overview pane next to the "Done" button. When I'm editing a long loop, it can take forever for the red line to come around, so a little feedback would be great there.

Also time signatures. I know that one's going to take a think to implement. You're a clever chap.

Plus all that other stuff.

No rush

• @busker said:
    I finally picked this up yesterday and I'm glad I did. I was worried it would be redundant as I already own Modstep, Genome, ProMidi etc., but there are a few key features that make this app worthwhile. The song mode is great, and the ease of use and logical/intuitive workflow means I can get things done very quickly with little mental overhead. I can see myself using this quite a bit even if it lacks some of the advanced features of other MIDI sequencers.

Not only is this a really good, sensible and honest testimonial, my guess is it is exactly what SBD had in mind as regards purpose/design. Should be posted on the side of buses taking young composers to the office etc etc.

• @busker said:

@JonLewis said:
    @SecretBaseDesign how close are we to getting an Undo button when in the loop editing screen?

I'd love to see this as well, it's the one feature I was surprised not to find. Without undo it becomes more dangerous to play around with quantize etc.

Undo almost made it into 2.0, should be in 2.1. I can also do the playhead indicator in the scrolling area, and a few other things. A couple of things are done already -- I have more loops for Johnny, and I fixed the MIDI import to handle files that come out of iRealB. I'd like to get the groove mode done (almost made it for 2.0 as well) -- it lets you play continuously, dropping new loops into what's essentially a take folder -- so just let it run, play and record away, and then grab the takes that you like.

I should be able to make a lot of progress in the next couple of weeks -- we're between semesters right now. This coming semester, I'll be teaching a course on mobile app development, so all my goofing off will actually look like work! :-).

• Im gonna go ahead and buy this app in a few days. If it can help me get some MIDI notes to match some of the funky stuff ive made up on guitar, ill be a happy camper. Humming would be the icing on the cake

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    Im gonna go ahead and buy this app in a few days. If it can help me get some MIDI notes to match some of the funky stuff ive made up on guitar, ill be a happy camper. Humming would be the icing on the cake

Fair warning -- I'm bumping the price back up on Monday ($20/$10 versus $15/$5 right now).

• @SecretBaseDesign any plans in the pipeline to have a swing option?

@Gaia.Tree said:
    Im gonna go ahead and buy this app in a few days. If it can help me get some MIDI notes to match some of the funky stuff ive made up on guitar, ill be a happy camper. Humming would be the icing on the cake

Fair warning -- I'm bumping the price back up on Monday ($20/$10 versus $15/$5 right now).

Thanks for the heads up!

• this update just took the app from barely used to using a lot. :D
    So glad the playhead indicator got added. once undo and
    scrolling area playhead gets added i think its pretty much gonna
    keep me happy for days :) oh and more loops will make me a happy
    camper indeed :smiley: