Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ambient Electronic Music, "Sleep Sweet"

I decided to take advantage of the holiday weekend and make another ambient synth tune while my wife was sleeping. I was very pleased with how well this one came together. It was influenced by the peaceful music of C418's Minecraft soundtracks.

I used four Fugue Machine sequences to trigger four different synths in Korg Gadget. Most of the synths are polyphonic and play all of the note of the four sequences. However, I included one monophonic synth with a moderate about of portamento which glides with the sequence as if it's getting snagged by each new note.

The audio from Korg Gadget was recorded live into Ableton Live Lite. Inside of Ableton, I processed the sound with three auto filters routed in parallel using an Audio Effect Rack. The three filters (one LP, one BP, and one HP) were all modulated with an LFO at different rates which would cause the filters to drift apart over time, adding three additional layers of movement to the music at different frequencies. The BP and HP channels each received different levels of delay.

The whole processes of making this track took only about two hours.

Comments