Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Blank

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• What are the laws in your area? In the last place I lived in, anything under 50Db as measured from the street was OK. I was in a house and not an apartment, so my situation was different, but my point is that the laws exist. It would be good to know what applies to your situation. It sounds like you are a contentious neighbor, so I'm willing to bet you are doing fine with your noise levels. :-) I don't know of any apps that measure DB levels off-hand, but I bet one exists...

• I think you may have meant conscientious. Contentious means likely to cause an argument.

• Just search for "audio level" in the App Store. There are a few, ranging in price from free to a crazy $179.00 US. Have you considered talking to your neighbors to see if they have any issues with the levels?

• edited November 2013

Its not so much the overall db. You really have to consider the bass frequencies, which are the ones that penetrate walls and vibrate structures. Even at low overall db, they may be hearing a lot of bass. Best to discuss with the neighbor about it directly, or even better, hear it from their side of the wall.

• Good point re the bass frequencies @smeeth. If you search for "audio tool" in the App Store, there are apps that measure levels and include spectrum analyzers as well. Keeping the speakers too close to the walls might also add to any issues your neighbors might have.

• edited January 2017
  • @Afx Twn: Hi from here in Eccles (also Greater Manchester - well Salford actually!) :)
    I have no idea what the legal limits for sound is here either but my wife tends to let me know if my music is too loud (when she can't hear the TV!)
    But it is not very often and I always use headphone late at night anyway.

• edited November 2013

Wait until you hear your upstairs neighbour's music/TV playing and then turn your own music on and slowly increase the volume until it just drowns out your neighbour. Unless your music is very bassy, that volume will be no louder to her than her's is to you. No matter how loud or quiet that is, it demonstrates what volume your neighbour considers to be acceptable, from her side of the equation.

That's the rule of thumb I use.

BTW, well done for being such a considerate neighbour - a diminishing breed ;)

• I have a stereo that has a late-night EQ setting, filtering out penetrating freqs like bass...sort of anti-loudness I guess, maybe this is possible on your setup too?

• edited January 2017
  • @PaulB The wonderful iOS autocomplete once again rears its head... Sigh..... Yes, I meant conscientious... :-(

• @AfxTwn, I nominate you for one of the best neighbors ever.

Back when I lived in an apartment complex, my neighbors never cared how much they destroyed my sleep with their absurd loud music, noisy behavior or god forbid when they tied their endless barking dog next to my window. I even tried to send a digitized anit-dog signal through my speakers to an open window to curb the barking but still it kept barking from 2100 until 2300 hours every night.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I only wish that everyone with neighbors would follow your cue.