Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The forthcoming iConnectMidi 4 looks a serious bit of kit for those with multiple IOS devices

http://discchord.com/blog/2013/1/23/namm2013-iconnectmidi4.html

I've long been a fan of the original iConnectMidi but this looks a serious bit of kit for the money for those looking to integrate multiple IOS devices into their set up (and most of here have at least two IOS devices). It even has an inter-device audio streaming trick up its sleeve - a kind of hardware based Audiobus! Headline specs as follows:

4 In & 4 Out pairs of MIDI DIN Connectivity
Connect 8 additional MIDI devices via USB Host Port + Powered USB Hub
Over 64 user configurable ports of 16 Channels of MIDI per port
Audio Pass-Through Between Up to 3 Computing Devices
Multi-Host Capability - Connect 3 Computing Devices Directly & More via Network
Network Connectivity
Integrated MIDI Manager With Snapshot Preset Storage - For MIDI Thru, MIDI Merge, Filtering, and Advanced Routing Control
Supports MAC, PC, and iOS Computing Devices
USB MIDI Class Compliant
Plug and Play - No Drivers Needed
Charge iOS Devices

Love the fact that it will charge your IOS devices at the same time as performing all those other wonderful tricks'

Every IOS device you own is now an easily integrated studio sound module and if you add a decent audio interface (such as the Focusrite Scarlett I've mentioned here before) to the more powerful IOS devices that you own you'll turn them into multi-timbral, multi-output devices too.

And all this for $199, really do reckon they've got a winner on their hands with this little box of wonders.

jm

http://soundcloud.com/leftside-wobble

Comments

• I saw it this morning and thought, "holy crap, I remember them. Huh, so they really did it?..."

And they certainly did. I am seriously considering this, especially after the io dock has been having some issues connecting to iPad3

• @uglykidmoe

I'm definitely in. Just hope it's not going to be one of those never ending 'first quarters' before it's actually available. :)

• even better news, the audio transfer is completely digital from device to device... I would say more but I have to wipe the drool off my keyboard.

• looks like a serious piece of hardware. The iConnect was recommended before, but the new one seems to have it all.

• How would you use an audio interface at the same time this is plugged into your iPad? Does the USB port allow you to hook up a USB audio interface to the iConnectMidi4? And the iConnectMidi2 doesn't have a USB port for additional devices. Any way to use an audio interface with it?

• @gburks - my question exactly. No answer yet. Also discovered the charger requires an additional $45 power adapter option. But your question is the deal maker or breaker for me.

• The iconnectmidi 4 will come with the charger. The 2 has two be bought separate.