Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioBus Remote - on Android

Given that AudioBus Remote can work over Wi-Fi and given how affordable Android tablets are compared to iOS products - it would be really cool to be able to run AB Remote on a cheap android device while leaving the sonic stuff to an iPad etc.

I'd rather not have to buy an iPhone or second iPad just to use AudioBus Remote.

Comments

• Neat idea. In theory anyway.

• I think it's impossible. Any real life examples of this working anywhere?

Also maybe it's only me but it seems audiobus remote "failed" to a certain point. outside of the initial pack of apps that support it there weren't any new apps adopting it beyond basic compatibility, wich requieres nothing from the developers.

It's still useful for launching apps. And the few that make something with it work great.

• Not exactly AB Remote, but both TouchOSC and Lemur have android versions and can control some of the iOS apps via MIDI

• Audiobus Remote is the most useful and essential tool in iOS music making. Without it, live performance would not be possible to the degree that it is.

• edited December 2016

"I think it's impossible. "

Disagree. i'm talking only about the "REMOTE" app being on Android. All the other sound-creating apps would still be on iOS so the only challenge would be to follow the audiobus-remote network protocol and send/receive this over wi-fi ( and TCPIP). So definitely not impossible. Since the audio's remote protocol was created by the audio's developers themselves and is NOT part of any Apple owned iOS "Stack" there should be little problem.

And nothing like as hard as implementing audio's audio-routing architecture itself on android. but i'm not asking for that.

TO be able to have a cheap android device dedicated just to remote control of the music rig would be so handy and save the expense ( or risk of losing ) of a second iOS device just for that.

• It's possible but given how small the market is on Android I don't think it's a feasible endeavour. Sorry!

• @OscarSouth said:
    Audiobus Remote is the most useful and essential tool in iOS music making. Without it, live performance would not be possible to the degree that it is.

Why are you putting it in absolute terms? It might be most useful and essential tool in YOUR IOS music making etc, etc.

I love performing live but I totally didn't get on with remote and still don't understand the hype.

In my live world physical controls are way more usable. I found remote way too fiddly. Somehow when I'm in a chaotic stage environment, with crazy lighting and stuff going on around me all my equipment seem to shrink, especially the buttons on remote ;)

Just saying

• EzPz run remote on a iPad Pro ....

• @supadom said:

@OscarSouth said:
    Audiobus Remote is the most useful and essential tool in iOS music making. Without it, live performance would not be possible to the degree that it is.

In my live world physical controls are way more usable. I found remote way too fiddly. Somehow when I'm in a chaotic stage environment, with crazy lighting and stuff going on around me all my equipment seem to shrink, especially the buttons on remote

Have a play with the zoom tool in accessibility settings. You can activate/deactivate with a gesture. Very handy when multitasking

• @OscarSouth said:

I think everyone uses different tools that consider essential. I haven't used audiobus remote in a very long time. My essential tool is an app called iMIDIPatchbay, which is probably almost unknown here, but I wouldn't be able to play live without it.

• edited December 2016

I got a bit misdirected when I was replying in this thread before. Reason AB:R is so important for live work is app switching. It saves milliseconds in moments when milliseconds matter.

I've never had any issues hitting the buttons but I wouldn't use it any smaller than full screen on a (carefully mounted) iPad midi.

• Oh yeah, just to add quickly that the only apps I host in Audiobus are ThumbJam, Modstep, Samplr and Patterning, so the icons aren't too small. Everything else (Ruismaker, 2x Viking, 2x Sector, WOW, Turnado, Crystalline, 2x RP-1, Zero Reverb & RF-1!) is either in the background on the AB remote iPad (hosted in AUM) or hosted in AUM on primary iPad.

Pretty amazing how much you can run without issue on an Air2 and Mini2! (256 buffer).

• @OscarSouth said:
    I got a bit misdirected when I was replying in this thread before. Reason AB:R is so important for live work is app switching. It saves milliseconds in moments when milliseconds matter.

I've never had any issues hitting the buttons but I wouldn't use it any smaller than full screen on a (carefully mounted) iPad midi.

I couldn't agree more, app switching is key in a live workflow.
    I started a discussion this morning and it was my point: the best feature that could come to AB:R is a midi learn feature. For every app you want to switch to, a mapped button that you simply hit.
    Is Sebastien hearing this?

• AFAIR, it's coming with AudioBus v.3

• @yug said:
    AFAIR, it's coming with AudioBus v.3

Officialy confirmed?