Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iLECTRIC PIANO MIDI NOTES in GARAGEBAND via AUDIOBUS

Hi all, I've literally only just found out about Audiobus and I'm really excited about it's possibilities.
One quick question;

Im using some great retro Keyboard sounds in iLectric Piano but it's very limited with no ability to move Midi notes around once recorded. Audiobus allows me to record into Garageband but then am I able to move the Midi notes around?

Any answers and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
If this is possible I might have to click my heels!

Comments

• Garageband won't record midi from another app AFAIK.

You would need an app such as Genome or Cubasis to record the midi. I recently bought Cubasis after help from this forum and it works pretty well for recording and then editing midi from outside apps. Prior to that I used Genome but personally I found the interface a little cumbersome, Cubasis is much more user-friendly and will also record the audio once the midi is finished.

• Thanks for the reply, great info. I will look into Cubasis

I already own Beatmaker 2, does this allow for MIDI recording via Audiobus?

• edited October 2013

Audiobus, as its name implies, is a pipeline for audio, not MIDI. You don't need Audiobus to record MIDI - you need a MIDI sequencer/recorder. MIDI isn't audio, remember. BM2 will do the trick. However, I have a suspicion that iLectric Piano doesn't output MIDI but can be 'played' by MIDI input (the same is true of GarageBand, I think).

Do you use an external MIDI keyboard to play iLectric Piano? If so, you will record the MIDI output from that keyboard (in BM2), edit the MIDI notes in BM2, and then configure BM2 to output the MIDI data to iLectric Piano to make the sounds. The audio output of iLectric Piano can then be 'piped' back into BM2, via Audiobus and recorded on a separate track in BM2. You could then, if you wanted, ACP (AudioCopyPaste) the recorded audio from BM2 to GarageBand.

• I just tested Cubasis with Sampletank (same developers as ielectric piano) and Washboy is right, Sampletank does not seem to be able to send the midi out to Cubasis, so it's not possible to record the midi while playing the Sampletank keyboard.

However it is possible to drive Sampletank from Cubasis, so you can play the keyboard that is built-in to Cubasis and hear the sound from Sampletank while recording the midi at the same time. You may also be able to do this with Beatmaker 2.

• richardyot's way has less steps but can anyone explain the steps to set this up in Beatmaker 2 & iLectric Piano?

• Managed to get it working....somewhat. Beatmaker 2 recognised iLectric Piano in the Midi info panel. The sound recorded perfectly in BM2 and recorded the MIDI notes.

Now I need to somehow convert the MIDI file to audio...any ideas how you do this?

• ielectric in the input slot in Audiobus and BM2 in the output. Arm an audio track in BM2, with the input coming from Audiobus and record while playing the midi. This is how it works in Cubasis anyhow.

• edited November 2013

Think its that one..