Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Oval Synth by Oval Sound

edited December 2016 in General App Discussion

No AB/IAA/AU but can record in app and export to audioshare etc. It's primarily meant for their Oval controller, but works without it, and it responds to midi. Plus it's free, so no complaints from me. Edit: Or sends midi at least, not sure. Regardless, it makes sounds when touching ur iPad:-)

Oval Synth by Ovalsound
https://appsto.re/us/yzlycb.i

Comments

• Nice but I can't change tempo. And the help menus don't all open consistently. Sounds nice.

• edited December 2016

Note: it is free

I like the collection of sounds. All pretty nice. Menu seems to be inactive. Not sure what to do with this even though the samples are good.

• The Oval controller this goes with it €1,250 !!! Though there is a pre-order discount available bringing it down to €979!

Eeeeeeeep - think I will pass on that.

• Battle with Cube synth!

• Some glitches on ipad 4th gen, surely a great add on and I am waiting for AB and more preferences (latency option maybe)

• Lucky I was there for their kickstarter...So waiting for mine soon...
    Sad Oval app is also not even IAA compliant...Soon also hopefully.

• Audiobus support is now available into Oval ! (not sure if it's online yet, but it will quite soon)

• edited March 2017

Received an update and they fixed midi out. You can now use it as a midi controller and connect with other apps. Another nice free midi controller.

Edit:

Scales and octaves are not sending midi out. :(

• @BiancaNeve said:
    The Oval controller this goes with it €1,250 !!! Though there is a pre-order discount available bringing it down to €979!

Eeeeeeeep - think I will pass on that.

Still cheap against Hang drums...

• After downloading this app, a gadget project of mine that had not changed began crackling. After clearing space with other things, deleting this app got things back to normal. Who knows

• The app still works but I get the opinion they are out of business. Such a pity for a innovative little company. Too vulnerable being small and bad suppliers.

• I was really interested in this when I first came across it.
    When I saw the price of the hardware, I burst out laughing.
    The app sounds really cool, though. And it has lots of interesting built in scales.

• I use the app for generating samples pretty often. I can come up with something unique and inspiring in a snap. Hook up my BopPad and away we go!

• Yes they are insolvant. They close the business.

Got my oval, but its almost useless cause you cant edit anything, and the Ding (pad in the centre) make noizes if you hit it... you cant adjust the sensors, but you have to cause they havent, but they will never do, little hope that they give all the invested time and code open source....
    They write us backers on 1. Jan:

End of the year, end of the cycle
    [ENG]

End of the year, end of the cycle

We don’t have any good news to share. If you are following the project’s development you already know most of the challenges we have faced along the way. From the sensor and firmware changes early in the development to some of impactful delays due failures of key suppliers.

The almost one year delay with one key supplier with their final bankruptcy, who cannot be replaced as the investment was done and we had no resources to restart this very capital intensive area with alternative providers, has been the snowball that delayed manufacturing, delivery and increased operations cost.

In July we faced a cash flow issue due to late VAT returns, followed by the delay in credit lines and public funding due to the Spanish and Catalan political instability.

In September we were forced to stop all software development, delay the next generation hardware development and let go the invaluable professionals supporting those areas.

We secured public funding tied to private funding coming along and we have been actively looking for private investment to back the public funding and secure operations and development.

We have struggled as much as we can, and even beyond, with no salary at all for several months, while keeping assembling and delivery for as long as possible.

Now, after four months fighting with no positive outcome, it’s time to close down. The company cannot face the next round of payments and we are going to file for administration. Only a new investment round could save us at this point, but we have not been able to close it after months of working the leads we have.

We are very grateful to all the incredible people who have followed in this journey and very sorry for ending in this sad way.

Best wishes. The Oval Team

• @obiwahnkentobi
    That was a very sad read. :(
    Seems they had a good shot at success, but too many things went awry.
    I thought app developers had it tough, but those guys sound like they lost a lot of invested time and money trying to produce innovative hardware.
    I hope they develop the Oval app a little more and set it free to use with any setup. It really does have wonderful sounds and scales.

• It is too bad - the app sounds incredible. I only hoped the hardware was as cool as the app... I've used this app numerous times.

Bummer - I hate to see independent companies struggling like that.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    I use the app for generating samples pretty often. I can come up with something unique and inspiring in a snap. Hook up my BopPad and away we go!

Just for the record that no one's keeping I opened this up for the first time in an age today and had a blast with it. I'd never realized it had a little trimmer/fader for any wave recorded. Nice little left-field sample maker for sure.

• @JohnnyGoodyear : I agree this can create great samples, only found it because of this thread. Do you happen to know of a good aac to wav converter app I can use to turn Ovals aac clips into wavs? I can do it online or with apps that require a subscription, but I’d prefer a simple on iPad pay once converter app.cany suggestions gratefully received.

• @Svetlovska said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear : I agree this can create great samples, only found it because of this thread. Do you happen to know of a good aac to wav converter app I can use to turn Ovals aac clips into wavs? I can do it online or with apps that require a subscription, but I’d prefer a simple on iPad pay once converter app.cany suggestions gratefully received.

Cant audioshare do that? It should be able to but I've not tried.

• @cuezaireekaa said:

@Svetlovska said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear : I agree this can create great samples, only found it because of this thread. Do you happen to know of a good aac to wav converter app I can use to turn Ovals aac clips into wavs? I can do it online or with apps that require a subscription, but I’d prefer a simple on iPad pay once converter app.cany suggestions gratefully received.

Cant audioshare do that? It should be able to but I've not tried.

Sorry for the DBL quote..
    Just rename the file in audioshare to .wav

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    I use the app for generating samples pretty often. I can come up with something unique and inspiring in a snap. Hook up my BopPad and away we go!

Just for the record that no one's keeping I opened this up for the first time in an age today and had a blast with it. I'd never realized it had a little trimmer/fader for any wave recorded. Nice little left-field sample maker for sure.

Here's a tip for you: run that loop into Loopfield for variations.

• Need to find time to do a synthjacker session with all of these great Oval sounds!

• @Svetlovska @cuezaireekaa

Audioshare is very clever at converting:

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Need to find time to do a synthjacker session with all of these great Oval sounds!

Hmmm. I avoided Synthjacker (and even reading about it) because of some -perhaps unfounded- certainty that it was out there in Boffinland. I would be grateful if you would you tell me in a sentence (or two) what it does well. And if it's easy :)

• edited November 2019

@lukesleepwalker said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Here's a tip for you: run that loop into Loopfield for variations.

Would never have thought of that. Will try now.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Need to find time to do a synthjacker session with all of these great Oval sounds!

Hmmm. I avoided Synthjacker (and even reading about it) because of some -perhaps unfounded- certainty that it was out there in Boffinland. I would be grateful if you would you tell me in a sentence (or two) what it does well. And if it's easy :)

SJ automagically creates a sample library from any MIDI controllable sound source (complete with readable file names for sample mapping by host). Many days, I never think of oval in my AUv3 workflow--even though it has stellar sounds--because it is IAA only. With SJ, I would create a sample library of my favorite oval sounds to put into AudioLayer or even NS2 Slate/Obsidian.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

SJ automagically creates a sample library from any MIDI controllable sound source (complete with readable file names for sample mapping by host). Many days, I never think of oval in my AUv3 workflow--even though it has stellar sounds--because it is IAA only. With SJ, I would create a sample library of my favorite oval sounds to put into AudioLayer or even NS2 Slate/Obsidian.

I will put on my white lab coat and wander into the circus. The potential use/connection there with NS2 being enough to gird my fearful loins etc. Thanks!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

Audioshare is very clever at converting:

Huh! I’ve owned it for years and did not know it could do that! Thanks. :)

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Let us know how it goes.
    I think Oval does not respond to external Midi, so I am not sure you could SynthJack it.

• @CracklePot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Let us know how it goes.
    I think Oval does not respond to external Midi, so I am not sure you could SynthJack it.

D'oh! The fly meets the ointment.... Looks like manual sampling is in order.