Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IKaossilator Where is the Love from KORG?

Here is hoping the new year will bring more advancement in one of the most fun apps in all of iOS! As a controller for gadget, more sounds, a grid to work on, extended instrument channels? Any other ideas on how KORG could make this app better still?

Comments

• It's like the original figure, but somehow it just got lost in the shuffle at Korg.

• I have many ideas on this. That I've bugged Korg about on multiple occasions, but they don't respond to users so....

Best Sequencer ever imo. So fun and easy to make FULL SONGS. It's a shame people don't seem to realize this. Nothing beats it in terms of sheer fluidity, nothing. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like anything will in the immediate future with everyone addicted to their piano rolls. Way WAY Better than Figure.

• edited December 2016

I think this alongside MS20 will eventually become gadgets. They (Korg) just need to hit a creatively dry spot. It would be such an easy revenue opportunity.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Abandonware

Not exactly but the last update was in January and only bug fixes, and in Dec.2015 it got LINK. 2014 was when it received its one and only addition to sounds with an EDM pack.

• KORG doesn´t show much love to the older apps at all. Integration in evolving iOS environments is very low on their priority list. Could it be possible, that the iWavestation is the only KORG Synth out there, that even shows an IAA Badge of the host? ODYSSEi doesn´t, and neither does the iM1, iMS20, iElectribe...

• @Patric_Bateman said:
    KORG doesn´t show much love to the older apps at all. Integration in evolving iOS environments is very low on their priority list. Could it be possible, that the iWavestation is the only KORG Synth out there, that even shows an IAA Badge of the host? ODYSSEi doesn´t, and neither does the iM1, iMS20, iElectribe...

But, in the end, both iMS20 and iPolysix both functionally fine in iOS 10.xx and can easily be integrated in our music making thru all ours beloved DAW:s...

I hope Korg focus on Gadget and give us the few things we miss there as an guitar Gadget or acoustic woodwind gadget, and, not at least, a decent sampler gadget...

• @ErrkaPetti KORG is doing the bare minimum to keep the Apps running, i guess we have different understandings of "showing love". ODYSSEi has still a horrible MIDI implementation. This is why i want the exact opposite, focus on the synths, not on Gadget. Bring AUv3 implementation, overhaul the GUIs of the old ones.

• IKaossilator one of the grossest gui ever

• GUI is just fine by me and it works great too. The iKaossilator gadget idea does really appeal to me also.

• I doubt we'll see much 'love' for the older apps since there is no way to pay for updates.

For 'new' apps it makes sense to support as many of the technologies as possible.
    Sure I'd love to se AUv3 and Gadget versions of iPolySix, iMS-20 & iElectribe...

But in practice I'd love to see a bigger more expressive onscreen keyboard (pitch, mod and y-axis velocity) and IFX options in Gadget (distortion/overdrive etc) and more IFX options on the master buss. (I mean there is nothing stopping Korg from making all the effects available in the individual Gadgets as IFX options). I'd love to add some distortion/overdrive to Dublin Gadget as an example...

And well, iKaossilator as a 'Gadget' would be nice and add even more sounds to Gadget :D

• edited December 2016

@Samu said:
    I doubt we'll see much 'love' for the older apps since there is no way to pay for updates.

For 'new' apps it makes sense to support as many of the technologies as possible.
    Sure I'd love to se AUv3 and Gadget versions of iPolySix, iMS-20 & iElectribe...

But in practice I'd love to see a bigger more expressive onscreen keyboard (pitch, mod and y-axis velocity) and IFX options in Gadget (distortion/overdrive etc) and more IFX options on the master buss. (I mean there is nothing stopping Korg from making all the effects available in the individual Gadgets as IFX options). I'd love to add some distortion/overdrive to Dublin Gadget as an example...

And well, iKaossilator as a 'Gadget' would be nice and add even more sounds to Gadget :D

I don´t think that´s a great business model though. Other Apps from roughly the same era as the iMS20 were treated much differently, some even ported to AU, like iSEM for example, although it is a little younger. The MS-20 is arguable KORGs most valuable IP, why not maintain a top App and generate constant revenue?

I don´t get the blanket free pass for KORG. Should we now be just satisfied that an app still runs? I don´t think so. Klevgrands Pads that has just been released is the best example, how Gadget is going to be obsolete. Simple, affordable plugins that just sound great will be everywhere. KORG should embrace AUv3, port all their stuff, maybe even charge 5 to 10 bucks per plugin.

• @Patric_Bateman said:
    KORG should embrace AUv3, port all their stuff, maybe even charge 5 to 10 bucks per plugin.

There is absolutely nothing stopping you from getting in touch with the Korg Devs via twitter @korg_iapps and suggesting ideas to them :) (I don't even think Korg visits this forum).

AUv3 has it's limitation regarding UI-Size and as for iSEM AUv3 it's partly because Rolf is and iOS Pioneer.
    The rest of the Arturia stuff (iMini an iProphet) ported by another company (Retronyms) are still lacking AUv3 treatment and I'd be surprised if we ever see AUv3 versions of iMini and iProphet...

Korg could surprise us with AUv3 versions of every Gadget and that would sweet indeed but we never know...

I've come to the conclusion that best results are obtained by directly contacting the developers.
    Sure It can sometimes feel good 'let of some steam' but It seldom gives any results...

• Again... Audio in! Make it more like kaosspad. Puhleaze

• edited December 2016

@Patric_Bateman said:
    I don´t think that´s a great business model though. Other Apps from roughly the same era as the iMS20 were treated much differently, some even ported to AU, like iSEM for example, although it is a little younger. The MS-20 is arguable KORGs most valuable IP, why not maintain a top App and generate constant revenue?

I don´t get the blanket free pass for KORG. Should we now be just satisfied that an app still runs? I don´t think so. Klevgrands Pads that has just been released is the best example, how Gadget is going to be obsolete. Simple, affordable plugins that just sound great will be everywhere. KORG should embrace AUv3, port all their stuff, maybe even charge 5 to 10 bucks per plugin.

I don't know how can you even consider that gadget will become absolete? It arguably has the best monetisation model in IOS music. Yes, it is arguably pricey but it is also super solid and I would guess it being the most used iOS synth composition tool currently on IOS.

They (Korg) have been consistently adding features and new gadgets that work either standalone or within their ecosystem. They have a decent (not full) midi implementation and are pretty to look at and operate (for most part).

Gadget is also possibly the most straight forward fully automatable machine that gives decent results within minutes, whether you want more random (paint on the grid) or accurate sequencing which covers a target audience of anyone from a 10 year old 'having a go' to a seasoned musician wanting more in depth editing.

Saying that gadget will become absolete because Korg hasn't updated ms20 and ielectribe in a while (because they were busy spitting out other amazing stuff) is a bit silly IMO.

• @supadom said:

@Patric_Bateman said:

I don't know how can you even consider that gadget will become absolete? It arguably has the best monetisation model in IOS music. Yes, it is arguably pricey but it is also super solid and I would guess it being the most used iOS synth composition tool currently on IOS.

They (Korg) have been consistently adding features and new gadgets that work either standalone or within their ecosystem. They have a decent (not full) midi implementation and are pretty to look at and operate (for most part).

Gadget is also possibly the most straight forward fully automatable machine that gives decent results within minutes, whether you want more random (paint on the grid) or accurate sequencing which covers a target audience of anyone from a 10 year old 'having a go' to a seasoned musician wanting more in depth editing.

Saying that gadget will become absolete because Korg hasn't updated ms20 and ielectribe in a while (because they were busy spitting out other amazing stuff) is a bit silly IMO.

Agree with this. From a game theory perspective, as an inveterate buyer/user, Gadget has also set a bar as far as proving that iOS can be sustainable. I think their model here is brilliant, in the true drug dealer style, the drip drip drip of it all. Do I wish Kaossilator got a polish? Sure. And would I spend my next few bucks to pay for an upgrade if such a path was possible? Yup. My sleeve's rolled up, I'm ready for you now....

• @Samu said:
    I doubt we'll see much 'love' for the older apps since there is no way to pay for updates.

Why longing for more effects in Gadget when we have the option to use so much more in conjuction with Korg Gadget?

I played around today with a few synth in Korg Gadget thru Audiobus into Auria Pro with effects from Fabfilter (Volcano2, Saturn, Timeless 2)...

You can make amazing things when you routing around with all the candys in the iPad... WE ARE SPOILED!

• Must agree with the candy in the iPad , the possibilities are astounding to say the least.

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@Samu said:

Why longing for more effects in Gadget when we have the option to use so much more in conjuction with Korg Gadget?

I played around today with a few synth in Korg Gadget thru Audiobus into Auria Pro with effects from Fabfilter (Volcano2, Saturn, Timeless 2)...

You can make amazing things when you routing around with all the candys in the iPad... WE ARE SPOILED!

Agree. It is only of late that I have jumped out of the box and started to use Gadget (in its many forms) as an instrument. Grateful (unlike, say, GB) that it slides so nicely into the AB input slot....

• @ErrkaPetti said:

I love the 'integration' and 'automation' of almost everything that Gadget provides and since the 'effects' are already in there it's a matter for Korg to 'configure' what is available and where within the app. (We saw the amount of IFX increase after initial release of IFX that only had EQ and Compressor).

This 'ease of use' would be 'lost' or made more 'complicated' using external apps and effects plus it would be a nightmare to configure. Even though AUv3's can in some cases be automated they can not be 'automated/recorded' from the Plug-In UI which severely limits their usability from automatisation perspective.

As a former 'App-A-Holic' I know what is available but I prefer to keep it simple so I can keep some kind of 'focus'.

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    WE ARE SPOILED!

Indeed we are spoiled, we are blessed with an incredible device to make music on. So why limit ourselves with apps that could and should be better? Why not support developers that are ahead of the curve with incredible Plugins for AUv3 like @brambos and Klevgrand?

I´ll always promote open standards over proprietary walled gardens (i´m aware of the irony posting this in an iOS app forum)

• edited December 2016

I thought this topic was about ikaossilator. Keep in mind they did just release it for Android. So all hope is not lost. and frankly, the concept is too good to abandon. It will see its full potential whether it's made by Korg or not.

• iKaossilator would be a bit nicer with a simple grid-editor to make easier to move or remove notes that for some reason might have ended up in wrong places.

The sounds from iKaossilator would be nice to have inside Gadget too...

• @Samu just play the right notes over the wrong notes. Just. Keep. Playing. Don't overthink it. It is literally the antithesis of grid editors. On the other hand, an "eraser" function that you could play for each instrument would be pretty nice. The quantization is rock solid as well, especially with 16th notes, very useful.

• why no ikaossilator update?
    why no samplr update?
    why hook doesn't work like ableton?
    why no follow actions in the launchpad app?

simple really, the people have not spoken in mass, has everyone posted on their fb pages en masse?, has everyone asked for an ikaossilator update in the review section of iTunes, nope.... the people have not used their power yet.

• @kobamoto said:
    why no ikaossilator update?
    why no samplr update?

simple really, the people have not spoken in mass, has everyone posted on their fb pages en masse?, has everyone asked for an ikaossilator update in the review section of iTunes, nope.... the people have not used their power yet.

No instead we´re hearing how great everything is, and how spoiled we all are. This isn´t a charity, this is an economy. Laws of the market will apply. I´m constantly rating Apps like Odyssei with two stars, that lack crucial features, and five stars for incredible apps like the iVCS3...

• @kobamoto do we need to start an ikaossilator meme war?

• @db909 said:
    @kobamoto do we need to start an ikaossilator meme war?

All your bass are belong to us

• @Patric_Bateman said:

@kobamoto said:
    why no ikaossilator update?
    why no samplr update?

No instead we´re hearing how great everything is, and how spoiled we all are. This isn´t a charity, this is an economy. Laws of the market will apply. I´m constantly rating Apps like Odyssei with two stars, that lack crucial features, and five stars for incredible apps like the iVCS3...

Toast.