Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is there an app for iPad like Sony Acid?

Hi- Is there an app like Sony Acid where you can:-
1) Import clips from Audioshare
2) Place them on the timeline and extend/ shrink the length of them- or at least copy/ delete them.
3) Do a bit of basic mixing with them.
That's basically all I want to do- in order that I can arrange my different pieces into songs
Thanks.

Comments

• What platform are the clips you are using from?

Audio or MIDI?

What means of input are you using?

Are you looking to make all your own clips or arrange stuff?

• Any way you go "Timestretch" is done more by one app while arranging on another.

I don't know any DAW with non-destructive edit or loops accept for maybe AKAI pro.

But, maybe that would work for you?

Look at AKAI pro. You can load each loop in a pad.

AKAI pro uses meta-data so you can alter size and pitch in a non-destructive manner.

• I am using an iPad Air 2 with latest OS. All the clips/phrases I want to use are already sitting in Audioshare. They have been sent there either using Korg Gadget (and all the rest of it) through Turnado (usually) in Audiobus and recorded into Audioshare. Or it has been audio from hardware synths converted to digital and recorded/ trimmed in Audioshare. So I don't intend to use midi and I only wish to use the clips I already have (or others I will make in the future). I want to have a timeline (with several tracks of course) next to a huge pile of clips imported from Audioshare- in order that I can select from the pile - then place them on the timeline- and hopefully move them around a bit.

• edited November 2015

@robosardine said:

Simple one is LP-5,but only 5 tracks; however, each clip can be on different sample audio file,

Or use MTS sampler pad!

• Auria has a time line and a built-in time stretching algorithm. Auria Pro when it is released (hopefully in the next month or two), will have "live" (and editable) time stretching.

You can move things about freely on the time line and with the right snap settings it's very easy to take a beat that's at 100bpm and stretch it to 120, or 80, or whatever you want (I do this all the time with drum loops).

• Great thanks for these ideas.- I'm not really bothered about time stretching- On Sony Acid on the PC you can place the cursor on a clip and literally drag it along the timeline as long as you want- so it then extends/ repeats for the duration- which is what I was meaning. Even this is not that important- as long as I can do it manually by editing etc.
    I have had Retronyms iMPC pro in the past- it's not quite what I am looking for- Cheers

• If you already have the clips, and are not bothered about time stretching, then any of the DAW apps with Audio support will do what you want.
    Personally I use Cubasis, you can't just drag a clip longer you have to copy and paste, but this is simple to do. you will miss the realtime time stretch and transpose though.
    I am an old ACID user too, so know what you mean, I have not yet found an app that works the same, BUT I have by no means tried them all

• edited November 2015

@robosardine said:
    Great thanks for these ideas.- I'm not really bothered about time stretching- On Sony Acid on the PC you can place the cursor on a clip and literally drag it along the timeline as long as you want- so it then extends/ repeats for the duration- which is what I was meaning. Even this is not that important- as long as I can do it manually by editing etc.
    I have had Retronyms iMPC pro in the past- it's not quite what I am looking for- Cheers

Well, You might like Stereosun for drag and drop for all the loops you choose and manaully. And immediately edit your audio loop and repeat for the duration you want.

• edited November 2015

@robosardine said:
    On Sony Acid on the PC you can place the cursor on a clip and literally drag it along the timeline as long as you want- so it then extends/ repeats for the duration

You can do that in the n-Track Studio DAW.

http://en.ntrack.com/ios-multitrack-studio.php

• Garageband works a bit like that. If you import a 4 bar clip from Audioshare into a track in GB, it will place the clip at the beginning of track - just tap on the clip once and a pop up will appear with options to Delete, Copy, etc. and also a Loop option. If you choose this, it will extend your clip to the end of your project timeline - then you can click and drag left on the end of the clip and shorten it if you like.

Garageband also comes with a bunch of Apple Loops (and you can download more on various websites). Apple Loops work much like Sony Acid files - in that if you have a project at 100bpm with any Apple loops in tracks - if you increase the tempo to 120bpm, your Apple loops will timestretch and stay in time. Regular loops you've made in Audioshare will not unfortunately :( BUT - I also believe GB will also do this with any Sony Acid files as well (could be wrong on this...)

• MusicStudio is a straightforward daw with common the workflow.

• I think nTrack only imports from iTunes though- from what I can see on their site?
    Stereosun looks interesting- I will look further into it. LP5 looks a bit like Launchpad which I currently use.
    So can you import directly from Audioshare into Cubasis? - I can't find much reference to it on the net- I can see it was not possible at some time in the past though.

• edited November 2015

nTrack can import from audiocopy, general pasteboard, itunes, dropbox, and open in.

• have you tried this one, I have not but I was thinking about it.

• looks like they haven't updated it in a long time, will it even run on the latest iOS?

• That one looks a bit like Electrify NXT or Launchpad. Does MusicStudio allow for direct importing from Audioshare?

• Music Studio supports open in

• Do any of these apps do resampling ? (Stretching of loops, but not using timestretch, just old fashioned resampling, so an octave higher is twice as fast and so on)Acid allowed you to turn off timestretch and just use resampling (Reaper does too) which is what you need for DnB and so on.

• The king for timestretching/pitchshifting seems samplewiz...

Been somekind of Roland Variphrase (Vp9000, Vsynth, VariOS, sp606, Mc909, Mc808 and so on...) technology which had similarities with zplane and elastic audio found in Acid and Ableton (or Kontakt) and even resampling modes like @Flexinoodle pointed.

Said that Garageband cames with live loop technology which is a mix of timestretched feature in loopyHD/Ableton audio clip form factor without pitch&time but hey... add samplewiz and you have both ;)

Also dj apps could do the trick or even advanced audio featured like Auria/Cubasis...

Someone knows how Apple loops are set? Maybe garageband is 90% you will need.

• SampleWiz sounds lofi no matter what. The engine is ancient...

• Seems weird that nobody has actually created a loop sequencer like Acid, Acid ran on ancient hardware and the usability was phenominal, seems a lot of IOS developers like buzzwords that will sell a 99c app to a ton of people who use it twice.

• edited December 2016

@Korakios said:
    SampleWiz sounds lofi no matter what. The engine is ancient...

I think is not old than granular that feels weird if you doesn't tried something with Variphrase. Realtime repitching (for chorus) has this kind of "sound".

• I had VP9000 for years (the best hardware for time stretching ) and SampleWiz is way behind...

• edited December 2016

@Korakios said:
    I had VP9000 for years (the best hardware for time stretching ) and SampleWiz is way behind...

Then you understand about "artifacts" ;) but also know there is nothing quite similar in software realm (kontakt has not enough soul)

Edit: someone knows if Jordan Rudess reads this forum. Maybe he wants to update it meanwhile Roland releases a Vsynth boutique (no, it's not going to happen my bad...)

• edited January 2017

Totally agree. It's just the artifacts of the VP9000 had much more musical way.
    SampleWiz is the only app in the world that can poly pitch-shift loops on the fly without restarting the loop when sending many notes.
    It's the only reason I bought it.

• I miss my VariOSs time to time...

• @Flexinoodle said:
    Seems weird that nobody has actually created a loop sequencer like Acid, Acid ran on ancient hardware and the usability was phenominal, seems a lot of IOS developers like buzzwords that will sell a 99c app to a ton of people who use it twice.

it's a conspiracy, no acid, no ableton, no monome, no no no

• edited December 2016

@Flexinoodle said:
    Do any of these apps do resampling ? (Stretching of loops, but not using timestretch, just old fashioned resampling, so an octave higher is twice as fast and so on)Acid allowed you to turn off timestretch and just use resampling (Reaper does too) which is what you need for DnB and so on.

Auria Pro. Open Region in Lyra option. You play one octave higher and the clip plays twice as fast, pitched one octave up, you play one octave lower, you got the clip playing half as fast and pitched one octave down. Is this what you want, right, @Flexinoodle? Then Auria Pro is the solution for you.

The "Open In Lyra" function is overlooked, but it is one of the most interesting Auria Pro features.

• Lyra is a sample player.
    What we are talking about is resampling on the timeline, it is a different way of working to using MIDI to trigger (Any sampler can do what you mentioned, for instance the drum sampler in ModStep)
    Launchpad and pretty much all of the clip triggering apps have the same issue, they all use timestretch, ideally they should have the option to switch between timestretch and resampling, the silly thing is that resampling uses way less resources, so for me it would be the one i developed first.

• Okay! I understood you wanted resampling without time stretching, so playing one octave higher is twice as fast. Lyra can do that using the open in lyra function. Obviously you are talking about something else.