Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Iwavestation sysex

So how does this work ? Can i import banks i find online for ex from http://www.danphillips.com/wavestation/ws_sysex.htm
Or id there anything i need to think about, iam not familiar with sysx files

Comments

• @DavidEnglish said:
    I was able to download Wavestation SysEx patches from this website: http://www.danphillips.com/wavestation/ws_sysex.htm.

Then using iTunes' file import, I brought them into iWavestation using the app's menu commands: File / Import sound data / Original WAVESTATION SysEx.

The SysEx banks are retained inside the app after you disconnect from iTunes. They'll overwrite whatever you have in the User 1 and User 2 banks, when you load the SysEx files into the synth.

• edited December 2016

I have a very large collection of Korg Wavestation patches that I downloaded off the net a few years ago. However they are in WSRAM format and they will not show up on iWavestation. I can only load them up on the the Korg Legacy Wavestation on my Mac. Does anyone know of any apps for Mac OSX which will convert WSRAM files to sysex files?

• Import of *.syx files from that page work quite nicely :)
    Noticed that iWavestation is not fully translated yet as the dialogue that pops-up on SysEX import is in Japanese...

There is no option to select the 'destination card' so all import goes straight to 'User 1' over-writing the content.

• Cool, too bad you have to go trough itunes ;(

• @Hansson said:
    Cool, too bad you have to go trough itunes ;(

iFunBox works quite nicely too :)

• @Samu said:
    Import of *.syx files from that page work quite nicely :)
    Noticed that iWavestation is not fully translated yet as the dialogue that pops-up on SysEX import is in Japanese...

There is no option to select the 'destination card' so all import goes straight to 'User 1' over-writing the content.

Thanks for this. I am a n00b as regards sysex etc but this is a lovely option and makes this worth all the more to me. Great to rifle through old patches etc. Shame that it comes in automatically to User One, but no big deal to select the patches that catch the ear, save them elsewhere and carry on etc.

• Good to know about user 1 overwrite. Save your created patches to user 3 so they're still available on import. 3 total user banks is another pointless relic.

• @Artmuzz said:
    I have a very large collection of Korg Wavestation patches that I downloaded off the net a few years ago. However they are in WSRAM format and they will not show up on iWavestation. I can only load them up on the the Korg Legacy Wavestation on my Mac. Does anyone know of any apps for Mac OSX which will convert WSRAM files to sysex files?

I couldn't get wsram to load either. THey should load under the Legacy Import option I would've thought.
    Easier to download from Dan Phillips site in .syx format. Or from Korg forums. They have pretty much everything .

• edited December 2016

@syrupcore said:
    Good to know about user 1 overwrite. Save your created patches to user 3 so they're still available on import. 3 total user banks is another pointless relic.

That's what I've been doing -- loading original SysEx files and saving the individual patches that I like into User 3 slots. Be warned: Some of the SysEx files floating around contain two banks of patches. They'll overwrite both the User 1 and User 2 banks. I learned this the hard way and lost some saved patches that I had in User 2 slots.

The best strategy seems to be to save often using File / Export sound data / iWAVESTATION. That saves whatever is in all three User banks at the time.

Given the limited number of save slots (only 150), I'm creating alternate User slot configurations. One has my favorite SysEx patches. One has patches that I've altered from iWavestation's native patches. And one has saves that I've especially liked when applying the Random feature.

• @DavidEnglish said:

@syrupcore said:
    Good to know about user 1 overwrite. Save your created patches to user 3 so they're still available on import. 3 total user banks is another pointless relic.

That's what I've been doing -- loading original SysEx files and saving the individual patches that I like into User 3 slots. Be warned: Some of the SysEx files floating around contain two banks of patches. They'll overwrite both the User 1 and User 2 banks. I learned this the hard way and lost some saved patches that I had in User 2 slots.

The best strategy seems to be to save often using File / Export sound data / iWAVESTATION. That saves whatever is in all three User banks at the time.

Given the limited number of save slots (only 150), I'm creating alternate User slot configurations. One has my favorite SysEx patches. One has patches that I've altered from iWavestation's native patches. And one has saves that I've especially liked when applying the Random feature.

Yes. Accident or design as regards only three users banks? Doesn't seem anything like enough already :) Never thought I'd be so willing to pay extra shekels for empty cupboard space...

• edited December 2016

@Jes said:

@Artmuzz said:

I couldn't get wsram to load either. THey should load under the Legacy Import option I would've thought.
    Easier to download from Dan Phillips site in .syx format. Or from Korg forums. They have pretty much everything .

Do you know where I can download a copy of Paul Osborne's Dreamwaves and Trancewaves patches in sysex format. I have his patches on my Mac but they are in WSRAM format.

• Presumably I can go:

Sysex > iTunes Folder > iWavestation > Gadget (Milpitas)?

• Have downloaded a few banks and will try later.

Anyone have any good recommendations for any really good (not cheesy) banks out there?

• Depends what sort of non-dairy you're after
    I recommend sorting through the banks on Dan Phillips site for a start and then saving ones you like into user 2 or 3 and exporting to and fro from iTunes as necessary.
    Every bank I've ever come across, I like some and some I don't ..

• @Jes said:
    Depends what sort of non-dairy you're after
    I recommend sorting through the banks on Dan Phillips site for a start and then saving ones you like into user 2 or 3 and exporting to and fro from iTunes as necessary.

Exactly.

• edited December 2016

@Jes said:
    Depends what sort of non-dairy you're after

Thank you Jes.

That worked out pretty well.

Got a load downloaded and have started going through. I like quite a few of the user generated ones for the WS mailing list competition.

It's quite funny going through patches from 20 years ago with names like "the X files". Seems weirdly long ago now.

Anyway, got my user 3 bank of selections (now full) through to Gadget and all play well. From the mid-90s through to the "THE FUTURE" - as represented by a glowing piece of glass.

It's an historic moment by the way, the first time it's been possible to get any external 3rd party presets through into Gadget.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

It's an historic moment by the way, the first time it's been possible to get any external 3rd party presets through into Gadget.

Agreed. Please do have a word and have them send us some more empty satchels etc.

• Hello Guys, I have a Korg Wavestation. Can someone explain to me how to configure the Wavestation to accept sysex files. I use the midiox program, send the archive but the Wavestation does not show on the screen that the file is being received. The Midi Channel is 1

• Could be settings in Midiox.
    Maybe data is being sent too quickly.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/Keyboards/acapella-18/320736-

Also :
    Under GLOBAL - Make sure that the Memory Protect Internal is OFF
    Under MIDI - Make sure that Mode is OMNI
    - Make sure that the Basic Channel is 1
    - Make sure that Parameters is set to RECOGNIZE

• edited December 2016

There was a Wavestation bank in sysex format I downloaded off the net a few years ago which had recreations of factory patches from the Yamaha SY22 and the Prophet VS. One of the patches was the famous Filmusic patch from the Prophet VS. Anyway I've forgotten what the name of that Wavestation bank was and who the author was. Anyone know?

• @Artmuzz
    Entire Prophet VS would be convenient.

The 'Filmusic' patch is described on page 15-33 of the VS manual.
    I was planning to recreate that and the 'Volkanik' patch in iWavestation by looking at iProphet.

• @R_2 said:
    @Artmuzz

First thought was "18 pages describing a single patch? This I gotta see." Then realized/remembered that Sequential always paged their manuals with section--page-number so that manual updates would be easier. Thoughtful folks, them.

But then I finally scroll down to 15-33, after crashing safari by scrolling too quickly the first time, and it's the only page that won't render!

• @R_2 said:
    @Artmuzz

I was planning to recreate that and the 'Volkanik' patch in iWavestation by looking at iProphet.

Came up fine on desktop. It's page 150 if anyone cares to jump to it. That whole section 15 is really interesting stuff. It has specific settings for a number of different patches (hand written!) and then goes on to explain the how and why of each patch in narrative form after the settings pages. Making me want to redownload iProphet and give some of the patches a go. It's a good reminder that the original manuals for some of these recreated synths are a great resource all on their own.

• edited December 2016

I managed to find the Wavestation bank with the Prophet VS patches and loaded them onto iWavestation. Awesome stuff especially the patch Filmusic which sounds exactly like the patch on the Prophet VS.

• @Artmuzz said:
    I managed to find the Wavestation bank with the Prophet VS patches and loaded them onto iWavestation. Awesome stuff especially the patch Filmusic which sounds exactly like the patch on the Prophet VS.

Do you have this as a sysex you could possibly share? (If that's not breaking any rules?)

• edited January 2017

So nice to find this thread! Wouldn't have found it if it hadn't been for a random search with iWavestation as a keyword. Glad DuckDuckGo didn't strip the 'i'...

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@Artmuzz said:

Do you have this as a sysex you could possibly share? (If that's not breaking any rules?)

Any news on this one?
    At the same time, iWavestation already has so many neat presets. Dunno exactly why, maybe some vague nostalgia, but many of these patches have a great effect on me. Edited a couple to accept breath control and the results are just remarkable. Been driving iWavestation with my WX-11 using Studiomux.

Anyone knows what control changes to send for bank select? Tried a few things which didn't work. With so many presets, it's pretty long to go through all of them so automating it would be neat. Program change does work, at least in Pure Data.

(EDIT: Eventually answered my own question. Able to change banks in Puredata by sending n 32 1 to iWavestation (and sending a pgmout). Will be useful to automate the patch testing process.)

As you probably all know, Korg is coming out with a macOS version of Gadget. The Wavestation gadget won't be included in the first version but it's coming at some point. It might make for much easier experiments with sysex files.

Oh, and do you know of a free editor/librarian which works on current machines, running macOS Sierra or Windows 10? Dan Phillips has some useful links on his site but several of them are dead. (Sorry, took David for Dan, for a minute...)

• hmm, can't seem to import sysex anymore on my Air2, although works on my mini2, both latest ios. Tried reinstall....no luck, crashes

• @Samu said:
    Import of *.syx files from that page work quite nicely :)

@Samu What location You put the files to appeared as on the screen in the iwavestation file area? I can't find it

• @MAtrixplan said:

@Samu What location You put the files to appeared as on the screen in the iwavestation file area? I can't find it

Unfortunately You'll have to use iTunes/iFunBox/iMazing for that since Korg has not updated all their apps to properly support the Files.app. I know it's a pita but currently the only way.

I don't work for Korg but if I did I'd honestly push for an update to all the apps since it's not that much work add 'Files.app Visibility' to an app. I mean Files.app has been around for quite some time and still many apps simply ignore it's existence.

Cheers!