Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sampletank Multitimbral Functions?

Sampletank advertises itself as "8-part multi-timbral". Does that mean it is possible for Auria, Cubasis or other DAWs to send midi to multiple sounds/tracks/parts in Sampletank and record and playback their individual sounds simultaneously, preferably to separate tracks? Are there any other apps that can do this?

Comments

• @Trentsongs said:
    Sampletank advertises itself as "8-part multi-timbral". Does that mean it is possible for Auria, Cubasis or other DAWs to send midi to multiple sounds/tracks/parts in Sampletank and record and playback their individual sounds simultaneously, preferably to separate tracks? Are there any other apps that can do this?

I haven't installed Sampletank on my iPad for awhile, but I can confirm you can assign midi channels to several different instruments...whether they will each have their own audio out, I don't recall (but don't think so, I'd likely have kept it installed if it had this feature)..

For multitimbral/multi-audio-out see ThumbJam, Modstep, Auria Pro, DrumPerfect, AUM, SeekBeats, Patterning, iDensity, and some others I may be overlooking.

• I'm trying to understand how this would work if only one instance of an IAA app can used at one time?

• Yes, you can send sampletank multiple MIDI parts to different channels but sampletank has no multiple audio outs, all the parts will record, as audio tracks, as a single track.

• @Lacm1993 said:
    Yes, you can send sampletank multiple MIDI parts to different channels but sampletank has no multiple audio outs, all the parts will record, as audio tracks, as a single track.

Thanks. I see, makes since that all audio would converge since they don't promise individual outs. How would one send multiple parts from a single DAW?

• edited November 2016

@Trentsongs said:
    I'm trying to understand how this would work if only one instance of an IAA app can used at one time?

It varies with the IAA app, there's only a few that "advertise" multi-audio outs. I wish there were more. The app closest to Sampletank, in terms of range of instruments contained, and that also has multi-out, is that wonder mentioned above, ThumbJam. If you don't have it already, it's highly recommended.

• @ikmultimedia With all of the great improvements made to ST recently, the lack of multiple audio outs is the achilles heel keeping me from buying on any new packs. I'm using it plenty, but only for sketching purposes, and no mind toward serious production, as it's just more hassle than I want to deal with. I hope there isn't too great a technical hurdle preventing it, and that it's on the roadmap already.

• I bought the Miroslav2,Orchstra Percuss and Cinematic Percuss.All of them are fantastic soundwise.
    But the lack of multiple outs makes working with Sampletank VERY time-consumptious.I use it in Audiobus
    recording into AuriaPro,track after track...puh!By the way,I own all the Crudebytes Symphonic Packs too.
    The combination of both "worlds" make some good orchestral sounds.

• @Schimanski said:
    I bought the Miroslav2,Orchstra Percuss and Cinematic Percuss.All of them are fantastic soundwise.
    But the lack of multiple outs makes working with Sampletank VERY time-consumptious.I use it in Audiobus
    recording into AuriaPro,track after track...puh!By the way,I own all the Crudebytes Symphonic Packs too.
    The combination of both "worlds" make some good orchestral sounds.

how would you say is Miroslav 1 vs 2 in terms of sound quality? similar or is 2 way better?

• I know nothing about software programming, but do agree multiple outs would be a "Killer" feature for as ambitious an app as ST promotes itself to be. I too have hesitated to add more sound packs as I tire from going back and forth. That's the way we did things years ago and although the process and experience is much better than back then, it just seems like a reasonable progression to assume one could have full multi from a product like ST. I could see if they were trying to sell multiple apps for each of the sounds or sound packs and therefore avoiding having everything in one box. But we've got all this sounds - in one box.

I will explore Thumbjam.

• multiple outs or auv3 support would make ST so much more usefull

• @nick To me the Miroslav2 sounds more open,fresher.But the main difference is that in version2 you have
    all important articulations.And this is true for all "section sounds" as well as for the solo-instruments.All sounds
    are really good except "English Horn(s)" which is much too sharp.The "Piano" sounds nice too but for me it is
    superfluid as I already have so many good pianosounds.I just deleted it (saving space).I would say if do a lot of
    orchstral stuff on your iPad the Miroslav2 is worth the money.If you just need "some kind of string,-woodwind or
    brass sound" I would look for a less expensive solution.To me itˋs well spent 50 €.

• Hi

Sampletank can recieve at the same time 8 different channels for 8 different instruments, so you can trigger as wanted from e.g. Cubasis creating Midi tracks outputting to the corresponding midi channel and Sampletank will perform accordingly playing all sounds up to 8.

Other apps like this would be Korg iM1 or Roland Sound Canvas.

Main problem for all these apps as mentioned above is that you don't have multiple outputs so this means that audiobus will only recieve one audio channel from Sampletank with all the instruments mixed ( meaning no further changes can be done ).

I hope this helps.

• @Schimanski said:
    @nick To me the Miroslav2 sounds more open,fresher.But the main difference is that in version2 you have
    all important articulations.And this is true for all "section sounds" as well as for the solo-instruments.All sounds
    are really good except "English Horn(s)" which is much too sharp.The "Piano" sounds nice too but for me it is
    superfluid as I already have so many good pianosounds.I just deleted it (saving space).I would say if do a lot of
    orchstral stuff on your iPad the Miroslav2 is worth the money.If you just need "some kind of string,-woodwind or
    brass sound" I would look for a less expensive solution.To me itˋs well spent 50 €.

thanks a lot, that really helps in my evaluation. I find the list of included instruments and their articulations very attractive and was wondering if the sound quality was good enough to justify the price. I think I'll wait for either multi timbrality of ST or a good sale and then get them.

• what you could do, is to play the 8parts and when you want to record them, record them one at a time.... but yeah thats not a really good solution though..

• By the way: on the "Multi-Page" you can layer sounds in all possible combinations as you can choose the midi
    channel for each of the 8 parts.But still no seperate outputs.

• I wonder if @ikmultimedia is aware that multi timbrality is an essential feature. For those of us recording things, this is more important that the layering and splitting -- which of course is great for live playing.

• This was posted in the Auria forum, might be of help:

• @Trentsongs said:
    I will explore Thumbjam.

The gift that keeps on giving. Has up to 8 part multitimbrality available via IAA or AudioBus. And does like 60 other things you'll come to love.

• @syrupcore said:

@Trentsongs said:
    I will explore Thumbjam.

The gift that keeps on giving. Has up to 8 part multitimbrality available via IAA or AudioBus. And does like 60 other things you'll come to love.

How do the sounds compare to ST?

• Well, subjectivity aside, the benefit of ST is the amount of good sounds available. And the ease of adding more. TJ comes with a great soundset and has many additional free sounds to download from within the app but it's not nearly as many as ST makes available via IAP. Adding new sounds to TJ requires some legwork.

• @syrupcore said:
    Well, subjectivity aside, the benefit of ST is the amount of good sounds available. And the ease of adding more. TJ comes with a great soundset and has many additional free sounds to download from within the app but it's not nearly as many as ST makes available via IAP. Adding new sounds to TJ requires some legwork.

Thanks. Downloading now.

• I don’t like Sample Tank’s packaging. They split things across several packages so if you just want to play around with stuff for a week and then forget it, it’s a quick fun way to start. But if you know what you’re looking for you have to buy unnecessary stuff. Also their “numbers” are deceptive. For example “Bass Pack” from the Pro library states “25 bass and 31 synth” I don’t care about the synth because there’s abundance of this if you want it in actual synth apps. But I thought well 25 basses should be cool. But what you get is the same bass counted more than once with different effects applied, and in total just a couple that I will use. The “Keys” pack is nice and mostly usable. Worth it I’d say. But everything else is just so split up all over the place that it’ll take a lot of dough to put this humptydumpty back together. ST sounds are generally good quality but if you want to get your money’s worth, look elsewhere.