Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUDIO Clip Launcher with MIDI assignment

HELP PPL,

I upgrade my MIDI CONTROLLER from a Launchkey 49 to a AKAI MPK249 because I was looking further integration with other apps (program change and assignable midi - launchkey is too budget and doesn't do any of that), but now I just discover Launchpad APP doesn't work through MIDI. Instead, they made a script that the APP only works with Novation controllers. So, if I want to work with MPK, I need to do a SCRIPT or search for a SCRIPT or ask for AKAI to do so...

Anyway, now I'm looking for a AUDIO CLIP launcher to suply my demand. But it have to be midi assignable either.
I already tried:

Beatmaker 2 - awful app, don't recommend anyone to buy it)
LP-5 - actually works, but I want something more professional. It's a limited toy.

I'm in love with HOOK, but it doesn't allow me to MIDI map the Mainstage (clips) (?!?!?!?1?1?1?1?!?!??)
I'm in love with MODSTEP, but it is made for MIDI instruments, no AUDIO clips. :(

Anyone could indicate something else for me to study?! It's being pretty harsh and deep study, but no solution yet.

Thx,
Rafael David.

Comments

• hey Telecharge, thanks for your reply!

I'm already on this! (and the others...) always looking, always searching. But I'm looking specifically for AUDIO CLIP LAUNCHING. MIDI launcher doesn't fits for me...

I just heard about this:
    http://www.electrify.info/

anyone know what happen? doesn't exist in the US STORE anymore.

• It's out of the game I think- everywhere. This was the second version of electrify. It's a great pity- because the idea was good- I think it had a few bugs. It has been a long while since it was available.

• Modstep triggering samples maybe?

• @syrupcore said:
    Modstep triggering samples maybe?

I though that, but isn't the same of triggering clips. When I import to the sampler it works like a instrument, not a clip. I want to use it with PADs, knobs and faders. I believe putting all together in a Drum Sampler isn't the best.

Anyone did that already?!

• @rafaeldk said:

@syrupcore said:
    Modstep triggering samples maybe?

I though that, but isn't the same of triggering clips. When I import to the sampler it works like a instrument, not a clip. I want to use it with PADs, knobs and faders. I believe putting all together in a Drum Sampler isn't the best.

Anyone did that already?!

Yeah, clicking on one shot works better but it still falls apart with tempo change. It simply isn't an audio clip/loop solution.

• I'm wondering about Looptune by @sonicreef
    somebody already tested?

• @rafaeldk said:
    I'm wondering about Looptune by @sonicreef
    somebody already tested?

Maybe read through the thread I linked to in the first place?

• @telecharge said:

@rafaeldk said:
    I'm wondering about Looptune by @sonicreef
    somebody already tested?

Maybe read through the thread I linked to in the first place?

I believe I got confused about dates and though this thread you shared was on march. I'm already in contact with Peter from sonicreef and will keep on this discuss in the other topic.

thx ;)

• edited October 2016

the impc pro has midi learn for the pads and time stretching for the samples, _might finagle-able, have you tried it? _

• edited October 2016

@kobamoto said:
    the impc pro has midi learn for the pads and time stretching for the samples, _might finagle-able, have you tried it? _

Didnt tried yet, but I'll. But I also already know that pads isn't the same as clip launching :(

i've tried Takete LITE. in the first try it has crashed. and I didnt see a MIDI implementation that I need.

i'm trying Looptune either, but don't see bring the answer either. until now the best thing for me would be Hook and MODSTEP condensed in one.

• Basically, GarageBand's clip launcher if it had assignable MIDI triggers for the clips and scenes. Once again, GB is a winner functionally, but hobbled. Too bad...

• edited October 2016

I'm consistently shocked at how there is such a gap on iOS for a good MIDI-enabled clip launcher. It's not like Ableton Live hasn't shown that there is a market need for this functionality! There are literally between 5-10 existing apps that are close but all of them miss on a crucial piece.

• edited October 2016

Yeah, that's sad =(
    I'm going to the devs and they don't even show some empathy to think about it, hahaha.
    I sent to HOOK they said they can't help me at the time. Launchpad APP isn't even a Product at their costumer service. MODSTEP didn't answer. And the small programmer, like LP-5 and Looptunes, although deserve our support and attention, it`s hard to trust for LIVE PERFORMANCE in something still borning.

LP-5 and Looptune I was able to map some stuff. LP-5 have some potencial, but cant map the pads either, only a entire scene and it`s limited to 5 tracks as 16 scenes.

• edited October 2016

I'd put my money on Looptunes. The LP5 dev never answers my questions. @sonicreef has been very responsive to emails and posts here. Plus the cross fader and effects are realty nice features.

• have you tried talking to the group the loop dev, he's responsive.

• edited October 2016

@kobamoto said:
    have you tried talking to the group the loop dev, he's responsive.

as I said, Peter helped me map Looptune with my controller... but isn't quite what I need yet. Or maybe I've to reinvent what I was use to do with Launchpad =(

edit: btw, if anyone need help with it can PM me if needed =)

• i take it that peter is the group the loop dev as well as looptune dev?... i didn't know his name or about his other apps.

• @kobamoto no, Jack is the Group the Loop dev and Peter is the Looptune dev. Both are very responsive to email and frequent the forums here.

• ok in that case I don't understand the response to group the loop but never mind

• @kobamoto said:
    ok in that case I don't understand the response to group the loop but never mind

maan sorry! I didn't get that "Group the Loop" was a app. I though you're talking about Looptune (as we're talking about it). Thanks for the tip! I'll consider! :)

• edited October 2016

What does the perfect, yet simple as possible, like minimum viable product simple, audio clip launcher look like to folks looking for one? Maybe if we define it, and keep it manageable, some enterprising developer will go for it.

Here's my take.

The basic feature set (mvp):

• Clip matrix ala Ableton 1.0 with the ability to launch horizontal scenes. Monophonic columns ok with me. 6x6 minimum.
    • Modern import options (one or more of: audiocopy, audioshare, Dropbox, open in, document picker...)
    • Same for export so that you can edit clips in your editor of choice
    • MIDI clock and/or LINK
    • MIDI control of clip launching
    • Time stretching of imported clips. Sweet if it guessed but don't mind telling it that the clip is 8 bars or whatever.
    • Built in mixer (channel per column) with panning/mute/solo or multi-outs visible to Audiobus/IAA

Stretching a bit: ("nice to haves", not "need to haves"; In no particular order)

• One shot clips
    • Unlimited columns/scenes (where unlimited===device limited)
    • Pitch shifting
    • clip reverse
    • clock based clip splitting (say, play only the second half)
    • MIDI control of mixer
    • Launchpad (etc) "smart" features for things like shortcuts
    • clip level adjust (+/- 12db)
    • Mixer has two sends that can host AUs and/or be exposed as Audiobus inputs
    • Audiobus state saving
    • Simple song mode where a scene is played N times then the next scene is played Y times... (see modstep)
    • Follow actions (thanks @kobamoto )
    • Good sample management/organization. Preferably folder based with simple renaming and moving (see nanostudio). (thanks @alexb). For me this is a bordering on MVP. Flat lists suck but could make it work.

Stretching a lot: (out of scope!)

• Quantized clip recording. This is actually the feature I want most beyond the basic set but realize it's not really a requirement for most folks looking for a solid clip launcher.
    • Audio editor so that you could build loops from longer clips
    • MIDI clips with port and channel per clip
  • edited October 2016

@ syrurcope great list of features!

I would add a good customizable sample folder organization+ Audioshare/Audiocopy compatible. On top good FX section similar to Launchpad.

• edited October 2016

with a follow action cherry on top and that would pretty much do it imho.

• Updated mine a bit based on the above. For me, I'd rather it completely skip internal effects, at least for the first few versions, and focus all energy on solid clip launching, tight sync, fluid import and kick ass time stretching.

• Now that I think of it, I haven't used launchpad since it first came out. Does it already do most of the above minus generalized MIDI control of clip launching?

• @syrupcore said:
    Now that I think of it, I haven't used launchpad since it first came out. Does it already do most of the above minus generalized MIDI control of clip launching?

More or less. launchpad have a 8x8 layout limit. The mixer only hqve volume and filters (no panning).
    For me it's a great deal the FX section (even if I had to buy, like Launchpad APP).it really works on live performances.

#

i add that would be great for a app to allow the layout customization power to the user. For example, create a layout 5x5 if needed. For me 4x4 works great (my pad is 4x4). MIDI implementation is a must for mixer, fx and clips, at least. I agree with @AlexB that a lot of apps fail into the import/export feature, although I prefer dropbox.

• remix live has panning, drag n drop, reverse etc...

• @kobamoto said:
    remix live has panning, drag n drop, reverse etc...

omg, I didn't knew it either! Almost get too excited. I'd be perfect for what I want if it was MIDI assignable =(
    I'll contact the dev to see what they think about adding it