Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Any plans for a 128 hardware buffer choice?

Now that audiobus will allow 512 frame hardware buffer for slower iPads, any plans for 128 for us IPad 4 users who want to run Jamup without latency issues?

Comments

• While we could do that, there are very few apps that support such low latency yet. Before Audiobus, many apps started at 512 and went up from there.

• Am I right in thinking that buffer size is not the only factor that affects latency?
    I assume that given the same software, a buffer size of 512 on an iPad 4 will result in a lower latency than a buffer size of 512 on an iPad 2 or 3.

Or have I misunderstood how this stuff works?

• edited February 2013

Buffer size can be expressed in frames and in milliseconds. So it IS latency. 256 frames are 5 milliseconds, 512 frames are 10 milliseconds, and so on.

But hardware buffer size is not the ONLY factor that influences overall latency. How fast a device can go from a detecting a touch to creating audio to sending it to the speaker is a matter of multiple factors. Most of it is actually not dependent on CPU but how the audio system is implemented. That's why putting quad-core CPUs in the latest Android phones doesn't change anything about the huge latency experienced on Android.